PDA

View Full Version : Does it concern anyone

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 10:55 PM
that Mullen continuously said "well, we played great for 3 quarters, so I'm happy about that", and dismissed our failure to show up in the 4th quarter?

Matt Wyatt was pissed about the 4th quarter meltdown, and after hearing Mullen's comments he said "nobody ever patted me on the back for playing 3 quarters. It is a 4 quarter game."

I must admit, I didn't like hearing Mullen say that because typically coaches only give praise after a win or close loss at best....never after a 30 point loss. That being said, it was weird because the scoreboard wasn't indicative of the game itself.

Not saying I am on one side completely or the other, Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were.

losmera
10-07-2013, 11:11 PM
I feel like our motto "FIGHT for Mississippi State" isn't we are seeing from this team (or the coaches). If a team really wants to win they won't lay down, they find a way to pull it out....they FIGHT.

We had every opportunity to beat LSU and we didn't maximize on those opportunities.

smootness
10-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Didn't know he said that, it is concerning.

I really hope that is not the message he is sending to the team. I understand not wanting to be critical of everything all the time, but you also can't allow them to become complacent by thinking that is ok, regardless of the opponent.

M.Fillmore
10-07-2013, 11:23 PM
My thoughts are that Matt Wyatt will stand up to Dan Mullen quicker than he will stand up to Dick Cross.

maroonmania
10-07-2013, 11:43 PM
that Mullen continuously said "well, we played great for 3 quarters, so I'm happy about that", and dismissed our failure to show up in the 4th quarter?

Matt Wyatt was pissed about the 4th quarter meltdown, and after hearing Mullen's comments he said "nobody ever patted me on the back for playing 3 quarters. It is a 4 quarter game."

I must admit, I didn't like hearing Mullen say that because typically coaches only give praise after a win or close loss at best....never after a 30 point loss. That being said, it was weird because the scoreboard wasn't indicative of the game itself.

Not saying I am on one side completely or the other, Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were.

Yes, I listened to his post game comments with Ellis and heard what you are quoting. First thing I thought of was that its a problem if losing isn't bothering Mullen like it used to and that is what I sensed when I heard him. Not that I expected a meltdown or anything but dang don't act like you are happy we "hung around" for 3 quarters. Act a little ticked off that we lost.

MemphisDawg
10-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Yeah it sounds like he took it as a moral victory.

"Well we had a chance for 3 quarters. Y'all should be happy we were that close for that long. Next season against them we will give you 3 quarters and 2 minutes."

Show some damn fire. Wtf

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Yes, I listened to his post game comments with Ellis and heard what you are quoting. First thing I thought of was that its a problem if losing isn't bothering Mullen like it used to and that is what I sensed when I heard him. Not that I expected a meltdown or anything but dang don't act like you are happy we "hung around" for 3 quarters. Act a little ticked off that we lost.

That's what I heard as well, and exactly how I felt. And then when Matt, a former player, started talking about it, that got me even more fired up about it. It was almost as if Matt was saying, "are you ****ing kidding me, Dan?". Not a good sign in my opinion

Todd4State
10-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Yes, it is absolutely concerning. It seemed to me like our team quit. That is unacceptable to me.

HIGHDOG
10-08-2013, 06:02 AM
well, he DOES have a team to be concerned about...i don't differ w/ his remarx or the timing thereof...jmho...tom

Thick
10-08-2013, 06:36 AM
I feel like our motto "FIGHT for Mississippi State" isn't we are seeing from this team (or the coaches). If a team really wants to win they won't lay down, they find a way to pull it out....they FIGHT.

We had every opportunity to beat LSU and we didn't maximize on those opportunities.

I believe in being positive, I hate moral victories, but let's be realistic. We did not have any opportunities to beat LSU. They punted once, I believe, they converted like 10 of 11 third downs, and they out scored us 31-3 in the second half. They quit passing the ball at the end of the third, and still out scored us 28-0 in the fourth.

The players might have quit at some point in the 4th, but we didn't have any opportunity to beat them, maybe keep it respectable. We did a pretty good job for three quarters, but we were never in a position at any point in the game to feel good defensively about holding their offense.

BHildreth3
10-08-2013, 07:00 AM
'ol Hud wouldn't say shit like that

AROB44
10-08-2013, 07:37 AM
'ol Hud wouldn't say shit like that

Just don't understand the love affair with him.

Political Hack
10-08-2013, 07:47 AM
My thoughts are that Matt Wyatt will stand up to Dan Mullen quicker than he will stand up to Dick Cross.

Wyatt will be asked to rally the masses before it becomes time to send Mullen packing. Strick will tell him what to say, and he'll say it.

EAVdog
10-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Mullen knows what he is doing, and I bet losing by 30 makes him just as mad as any of us. But we have a lot more football left to play and the team needs to keep their heads up. It's real easy for these young guys to lose heart. Also he has to project a bright future is just around the corner to keep our class together.

Think about this seriously for a minute. Would you have wanted Mullen to give a complete breakdown of just how much better of a Football team LSU is than MSU? Would you want him to scream and shout about how his D Coordinator from the SunBelt got schooled by an NFL experienced Offensive Coordinator who is make 5 times as much money?

WinningIsRelentless
10-08-2013, 08:04 AM
What happened after he blasted the team last year after bama? Sometimes positive encouragement does more for a team than going off after a tough loss.
And honestly he probably felt a little at fault with a couple choices he made in the 2q. 3 and 2 after a big int knowing you go for it on 4th down and you run a speed sweep isn't the smartest move. You either run it and get the first down or throw for the end zone since you know it's a 4 down play.
Then 3 and 4 right before half you run it and burn that extra 40 seconds off and make lsu work harder to score.

HIGHDOG
10-08-2013, 12:05 PM
was the fight in wilson's office before or after the ala game??

Marooned
10-08-2013, 12:28 PM
It concerns me that Mullen consistently seems disconnected on the sideline with his team against greater opponents. I honestly think he is easily intimidated by the big dogs of the conference. He plays the role of the runt pup to perfection.

bluelightstar
10-08-2013, 12:34 PM
was the fight in wilson's office before or after the ala game??

I know that he and Chris Wilson got in an actual physical altercation after the A&M game.

starkvegasdawg
10-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Any chance that he was just not calling the team out in public but come film day he breaks off a long hard one in them? One thing that I did not like about Croom was that he refused to take any blame for a loss. It was always the players. Nobody likes being criticized and certainly nobody likes being criticized in public. I would be fine if the post game press conferences are a front for how he is really feeling and behind closed doors he gets all medieval on that ass.

BHildreth3
10-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Just don't understand the love affair with him.

I just know a lot more than most about Mullen. I just think with that knowledge, when i compare their strengths and weaknesses, i would go with Hudspeth.