PDA

View Full Version : Back-up cameras in cars

Johnson85
05-03-2018, 10:34 AM
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/cameron-gulbransen-backup-camera-rule-1.18349442

I personally will never buy another vehicle without at least a back-up sensor, but I think this is one of the rules that personally benefits me that is probably not really kosher (like prohibiting restaurants from allowing smoking).

I just don't think poor people should be made to spring for a back-up camera in order to buy a car. I'm assuming that's a minimum of a few hundred dollars added to each car between the camera, the wiring, and the screen, and that's assuming basically no labor costs (which I'm guessing is right because of automation?). Granted this won't really be felt for a few years as new cars subject to the rule make their way into the used market (or I guess more accurately, used but recent model cars without backup cameras stop being available), and granted it's a relatively small burden, but lots of these small burdens add up and make it harder on people scraping by.

MetEdDawg
05-03-2018, 10:44 AM
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/cameron-gulbransen-backup-camera-rule-1.18349442

I personally will never buy another vehicle without at least a back-up sensor, but I think this is one of the rules that personally benefits me that is probably not really kosher (like prohibiting restaurants from allowing smoking).

I just don't think poor people should be made to spring for a back-up camera in order to buy a car. I'm assuming that's a minimum of a few hundred dollars added to each car between the camera, the wiring, and the screen, and that's assuming basically no labor costs (which I'm guessing is right because of automation?). Granted this won't really be felt for a few years as new cars subject to the rule make their way into the used market (or I guess more accurately, used but recent model cars without backup cameras stop being available), and granted it's a relatively small burden, but lots of these small burdens add up and make it harder on people scraping by.

I think it's a smart move to require it. Guy I went to high school with backed over and killed a 3 year old. I think we need these. I do think there is going to be an additional burden placed on folks trying to get new cars. But if you are scraping buy, I would assume the majority of them are buying used cars which means they won't feel the burden until these newer cars are hitting the market in the affordable range for people who are struggling monetarily. But I think this is a good call.

Johnson85
05-03-2018, 11:11 AM
I think it's a smart move to require it. Guy I went to high school with backed over and killed a 3 year old. I think we need these. I do think there is going to be an additional burden placed on folks trying to get new cars. But if you are scraping buy, I would assume the majority of them are buying used cars which means they won't feel the burden until these newer cars are hitting the market in the affordable range for people who are struggling monetarily. But I think this is a good call.

But that extra cost is going to filter into the used market. Again, for me personally (and I think most people), this is a good deal. But we keep adding on these small burdens (at least small when looked at individually), and then wonder why poor people are having trouble making it.

Had the same argument when my local school district was trying to push a new school building. They were making the argument that it would only be $50-$100 extra per year for most homes. I actually supported the new school, but that is a terrible way to analyze it. Everything, individually, is a "only" $50-100 per year for most homes. You have to look at the overall tax burden, what we want to provide in local services and amenities, and then prioritize what we want to do, and determine what we can get done for a reasonable tax burden.

ScoobaDawg
05-03-2018, 06:27 PM
There is nothing political about this at all.. moving

BoomBoom
05-03-2018, 09:40 PM

Agree with you. Question is why the GOP doesn't seem to care. I guess Big Auto is for it. Classic cronyism.

Liverpooldawg
05-03-2018, 11:13 PM
I'm just starting to get in the market for the first time in 9 years. It will take me a few months to buy. A back up camera is a given if I am going to buy now. Personal experience, thankfully with a dumpster and not a living being. That was in spite of 2009 backup sensor tech. Thank you to the bastards that made me park catawampus in the back lot parking in my office. Looking at a Mazda CX-5 currently. I drive a Ford Flex at the moment, but I always wanted something smaller. We needed the bigger Flex when I bought it. Familiy and stuff. My wife drives for a living, I don't. She needed a small something for gas mileage, I don't. She drives a CX-3. I love that car, but I admit We need something slightly bigger, even if the son is about to graduate (1yr) and strike out on his own. Any alternatives to the CX-5 in it's price range? Don't bring up the CRV, I'm aware of it's stellar ratings,and I'd buy it in a heartbeat BUT....... it looks like a mini-van with a Hood.

basedog
05-04-2018, 06:30 AM
I wouldn't buy a vehicle without back up camera. Once you drive a vehicle with a camera you realize the value and safety it brings!

Tbonewannabe
05-04-2018, 08:52 AM
I'm just starting to get in the market for the first time in 9 years. It will take me a few months to buy. A back up camera is a given if I am going to buy now. Personal experience, thankfully with a dumpster and not a living being. That was in spite of 2009 backup sensor tech. Thank you to the bastards that made me park catawampus in the back lot parking in my office. Looking at a Mazda CX-5 currently. I drive a Ford Flex at the moment, but I always wanted something smaller. We needed the bigger Flex when I bought it. Familiy and stuff. My wife drives for a living, I don't. She needed a small something for gas mileage, I don't. She drives a CX-3. I love that car, but I admit We need something slightly bigger, even if the son is about to graduate (1yr) and strike out on his own. Any alternatives to the CX-5 in it's price range? Don't bring up the CRV, I'm aware of it's stellar ratings,and I'd buy it in a heartbeat BUT....... it looks like a mini-van with a Hood.

I bought a Chevy Equinox and we like it pretty well. I bought it for the gas mileage and at the time it was about $3k cheaper than the Nissan Rogue or the CX5. Those were pretty much the only cars I was looking at. I actually like the new Ford because it looks like a Range Rover but I don't know anything about them. Only thing I don't like about the Equinox is the way the engine sounds when you really give it the gas. Trying to pass something sounds like it is going to explode. The turning radius on it also sucks but in the end I saved $3k which mattered at the time more than the car.