View Full Version : Todd McShay's 2019 too early mock draft

louisvilledawg
05-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Has Greg Little at 4
AJ Brown to the Browns at 11
and Montez Sweat late 1st.

Has Ed Oliver and Rashan Gary as top 10 picks

No Simmons though, wonder if that high school stuff will cause him to slide

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/insider/story/_/id/23377324/nfl-mock-draft-todd-mcshay-way-too-early-first-round-picks-2019

Cary Hudson's little bro
05-03-2018, 09:21 AM

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/insider/story/_/id/23377324/nfl-mock-draft-todd-mcshay-way-too-early-first-round-picks-2019

It should costs Simmons. It was awful, but forgivable. However, if he goes thru this season clean then he's golden for the 1st round. He's been great on and off the field so far.

NFL is hard on battering women, but he can work out of it.

msstatelp1
05-03-2018, 09:28 AM
I think most teams will look at what he's done since then and realize that it was a just a teenager reacting badly to a bad situation.

Ari Gold
05-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Has Greg Little at 4

Well McShay needs to scrap that 2019 too early draft and start over.
Simmons is a top 10-15 pick easy
And the “altercation” that took place won’t effect him ..

Dawgology
05-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Has Greg Little at 4

I imagine those projections will change DRASTICALLY over the next year.

louisvilledawg
05-03-2018, 10:16 AM

I agree he's a top 10-15 talent, but don't know how you say confidently about the latter. Josh Allen had tweets brought up from 7 years before. That altercation will definitely be brought back into the light. I hope it doesn't make him fall because he's been better than a model citizen since he's been on campus.

LilSebastian
05-03-2018, 10:21 AM
It should costs Simmons. It was awful, but forgivable. However, if he goes thru this season clean then he's golden for the 1st round. He's been great on and off the field so far.

It?s not the same. There?s a difference between hitting a woman in a bar/street fight and domestic violence.

Cary Hudson's little bro
05-03-2018, 10:22 AM
I hope it doesn't make him fall because he's been better than a model citizen since he's been on campus.

This is true. Gonna be a looong summer waiting for September

BuckyIsAB****
05-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Allen got drafted in the first round to a team that went to the playoffs last year, and he isnt a very good QB prospect. I'd say those tweets didnt hurt him much.

Simmons is a top 10 talent and his incident happened when he was in high school. He will be fine

Dallas_Dawg
05-03-2018, 10:36 AM
he isnt a very good QB prospect.

Really? Drafted Number 7 overall and not a good QB prospect? He didn't have the best year in 2017, but if you watch the tape, he can make throws that very few QBs have ever been able to make. He has an arm as strong as anyone in the league, and can move in the pocket as good as Big Ben. C'mon man

Commercecomet24
05-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Ol' Jameis Winston draft stock didn't suffer much from all the crap he pulled.

Ari Gold
05-03-2018, 10:46 AM
I agree he's a top 10-15 talent, but don't know how you say confidently about the latter. Josh Allen had tweets brought up from 7 years before. That altercation will definitely be brought back into the light. I hope it doesn't make him fall because he's been better than a model citizen since he's been on campus.

He is a top 5 talent.
He may not go top 5 because of the loaded DL class that will be in the draft.
But it wouldn’t shock me if he did

BuckyIsAB****
05-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Really? Drafted Number 7 overall and not a good QB prospect? He didn't have the best year in 2017, but if you watch the tape, he can make throws that very few QBs have ever been able to make. He has an arm as strong as anyone in the league, and can move in the pocket as good as Big Ben. C'mon man

Yep and Im more accurate than he is

BuckyIsAB****
05-03-2018, 11:02 AM
People on here freaked out about Fitz's completion percentage but his is right there with Josh Allen's but Josh Allen got drafted 7th overall.....

Not to mention all the drops Fitz has had to deal with. Maybe Allen has too but I havent watched enough Wyoming football to say.

I do know this, if you're drafted 7th overall from Wyoming you should do better than 8-5

parabrave
05-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Hate AJ but I wouldn't mind if he goes to the Cowboys or Saints.

BeardoMSU
05-03-2018, 11:46 AM

Hopefully the Cowboys aren't in position to pick that earlier....unless they trade up, lol.

msstatelp1
05-03-2018, 11:50 AM

I wonder if the Vikings experience with Treadwell will cause any teams to second guess AJ.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-03-2018, 11:55 AM

I certainly agree that Simmons could go top 10-15. But I wouldn't say it is "easy". The defensive tackle class is as deep as ever for the 2019 draft. Also, team needs really matters in the 1st round. I think he has as good of a chance to be outside the top 10-15, as he does being inside the top 10-15. There are going to be some damn good defensive linemen picked at 20 or 25.

dawgs
05-03-2018, 12:35 PM

I mean he didn't rape a girl or kneel for the national anthem, so he should be fine.

BrunswickDawg
05-03-2018, 12:36 PM
I certainly agree that Simmons could go top 10-15. But I wouldn't say it is "easy". The defensive tackle class is as deep as ever for the 2019 draft. Also, team needs really matters in the 1st round. I think he has as good of a chance to be outside the top 10-15, as he does being inside the top 10-15. There are going to be some damn good defensive linemen picked at 20 or 25.

Thing is - teams always need high impact DTs and OL and more of them get picked 1st round than any other position now. 2018 1st round had 4 DL and 6 OL, 2017 7 DL & 2 OL, 2016 7 DL & 7 OL, 2015 5 DL & 7 OL. It doesn't matter how deep the draft is - teams are more than likely to pick either of those 2 positions than any other position on the field because of the long term impact they can make.

dawgs
05-03-2018, 12:41 PM
People on here freaked out about Fitz's completion percentage but his is right there with Josh Allen's but Josh Allen got drafted 7th overall.....

Not to mention all the drops Fitz has had to deal with. Maybe Allen has too but I havent watched enough Wyoming football to say.

I do know this, if you're drafted 7th overall from Wyoming you should do better than 8-5

Allen has less drops than all the other QBs drafted in round 1. Advanced throwing metrics also rate based on where the ball is delivered and not the end result (catch, drop, long run after the catch, etc), and they rank Allen as easily the worst QB considered for the 1st round this year and one of the worst all time. His comparables are guys like jake locker. So if fitz suffers cause of drops, any savvy nfl front office knows that.

Tried to find the article but it's buried in post-draft coverage now, so gave up.

Token Bammer
05-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Allen has less drops than all the other QBs drafted in round 1. Advanced throwing metrics also rate based on where the ball is delivered and not the end result (catch, drop, long run after the catch, etc), and they rank Allen as easily the worst QB considered for the 1st round this year and one of the worst all time. His comparables are guys like jake locker. So if fitz suffers cause of drops, any savvy nfl front office knows that.

Tried to find the article but it's buried in post-draft coverage now, so gave up.

I don't understand how the NFL justifies taking QBs with accuracy issues in the first round. If they aren't consistently accurate by the time they enter the draft, it is extremely unlikely they develop the ability once they enter the league. This has happened quite a lot the last 10 years or so, reaching in the first round for a god that shouldn't be there. I know it's a QB driven league, but c'mon. Field vision and accuracy should be 1a and 1b when evaluating QBs.

Jarius
05-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Josh Allen will not be in the NFL in 5 years IMO. I can't believe someone wasted a 1st round pick on him.

BeardoMSU
05-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Josh Allen will not be in the NFL in 5 years IMO. I can't believe someone wasted a 1st round pick on him.

Just goes to show how coveted a serviceable-to-decent-to-good QB is in the NFL....

somebodyshotmypaw
05-03-2018, 04:46 PM

He's got a huge arm. He can throw it hard and throw it long. But so could Jamarcus Russell. The problem is that scouts fall in love with that. Just like baseball scouts fall in love with a guy that can throw it 98 mph (even if doesn't throw strikes and the ball has no movement). I will take accuracy in a QB any day. Because most throws are less than 40 yards. I worry more about a QB being able to throw it accurately at 10 or 20 yards, than I do being able to throw it 70 yards.

So I too worry about Josh Allen's ability to play. He's got a high ceiling because of the arm, but the accuracy and decision making needs a ton of work.

Hambone
05-03-2018, 06:12 PM
I don’t understand why some of our own STILL believe what Simmons did was THAT atrocious. If you haven’t seen the whole video then I somewhat understand however that makes you a person with an uninformed opinion.

Gutter Cobreh
05-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Here is what McShay had this time last year:

Prediction Actual
1) Sam Darnold. - Baker Mayfield
2) Josh Allen. - Saq. Barkley
3) Josh Rosen. - Sam Darnold
4) Christian Wilkins - Denzel Ward
5) Calvin Ridley - Bradley Chubb
6) Malik Jefferson. - Quinton Nelson
7) Saq. Barkley - Josh Allen
8) Derwin James. - Roquan Smith
9) Harold Landry. - Mike McGlinchey
10) Mink. Fitz. - Josh Rosen
11) Arden Key. - Mink. Fitz.
12) Tav. McFadden - Vita Vea
13) Christian Kirk. - DaRon Payne
14) Bo Scarbrough - Marcus Davenport
15) Derrick Nnadi - Kolton Miller

Outside of not even having Mayfield listed in the 1st Round, he only predicted 5 players correctly for the Top 15.

I'd take what he says during this time of the year with a grain of salt.

Source:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708263-todd-mcshay-nfl-mock-draft-2018-notable-picks-from-espn-gurus-early-mock

Homedawg
05-03-2018, 11:20 PM
Here is what McShay had this time last year:

Prediction Actual
1) Sam Darnold. - Baker Mayfield
2) Josh Allen. - Saq. Barkley
3) Josh Rosen. - Sam Darnold
4) Christian Wilkins - Denzel Ward
5) Calvin Ridley - Bradley Chubb
6) Malik Jefferson. - Quinton Nelson
7) Saq. Barkley - Josh Allen
8) Derwin James. - Roquan Smith
9) Harold Landry. - Mike McGlinchey
10) Mink. Fitz. - Josh Rosen
11) Arden Key. - Mink. Fitz.
12) Tav. McFadden - Vita Vea
13) Christian Kirk. - DaRon Payne
14) Bo Scarbrough - Marcus Davenport
15) Derrick Nnadi - Kolton Miller

Outside of not even having Mayfield listed in the 1st Round, he only predicted 5 players correctly for the Top 15.

I'd take what he says during this time of the year with a grain of salt.

Source:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708263-todd-mcshay-nfl-mock-draft-2018-notable-picks-from-espn-gurus-early-mock

Well Scarborough was stupid and that was proven. Other than that he was pretty good. Considering it's a crap shot

deltadawg99
05-05-2018, 12:16 AM
Jevan Snead was a “way too early” mock draft #1 overall pick back in 2009. Just sayin

TUSK
05-05-2018, 02:05 AM
Jevan Snead was a “way too early” mock draft #1 overall pick back in 2009. Just sayin

well, in all fairness, j snead would have taken a couple more meaningful snaps if he'd stuck around,,, Bo Scarbrough went pro to get more playing time,,,