PDA

View Full Version : 2019 pitching staff

05-03-2018, 08:32 AM
If the draft goes the wrong way, as has happened so many times before, we have these arms left:

Cole Gordon - Sr.
Jared Liebelt - Sr.
Denver McQuary - Jr.
Keegan James - Jr.
Kale Breaux - Jr.
Riley Self - Jr.
Cole Marsh - Jr.
Graham Ashcraft - So.
Josh Hatcher - So.
Zane Stephens - Fr.

Injured: Price and Barlow

Of the guys left, 2 (Breaux and Ashcraft) are coming off significant injury and have never really helped us before. Unfortunately those are our two most talented guys. 2 more with experience (Gordon/McQuary) are wildly inconsistent. Self has been hurt. Marsh could be ok at minimum. We know nothing about Stephens. Liebelt is batting practice, we don't know much about Hatcher

Our ERA might be over 10 next year, this situation is much closer to reality than many realize

Choctaw Dawg
05-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Better cut some guys and hit the juco's pretty hard. half those pitchers are dead weight and we cannot afford to keep them

Also I've heard a rumor from a person that i know that's around the ball club a good bit is saying that cole Gordon will not come back next year

Cooterpoot
05-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Starting pitching is going to be a mess next year. Could be for a couple a years.

preachermatt83
05-03-2018, 09:01 AM
James is still recovering.. he will be good next year. Breaux.. same thing... ashcraft... same. Those 3 will compete for starting rolls next if if small leaves and if jt goes pro. It all depends on the draft. Small and JT all of a sudden take us from bad on the mound to very good.

05-03-2018, 09:04 AM
James is still recovering.. he will be good next year. Breaux.. same thing... ashcraft... same. Those 3 will compete for starting rolls next if if small leaves and if jt goes pro. It all depends on the draft. Small and JT all of a sudden take us from bad on the mound to very good.

Agree on all points

louisvilledawg
05-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Better cut some guys and hit the juco's pretty hard. half those pitchers are dead weight and we cannot afford to keep them

Also I've heard a rumor from a person that i know that's around the ball club a good bit is saying that cole Gordon will not come back next year

I call that one a win.

confucius say
05-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Let's worry about making the right hire at head coach. Do that, and these things have a way of working out.

Commercecomet24
05-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Let's worry about making the right hire at head coach. Do that, and these things have a way of working out.

This is the correct answer!

preachermatt83
05-03-2018, 12:18 PM
I call that one a win.

Me too!!

The Federalist Engineer
05-03-2018, 12:20 PM
If the draft goes the wrong way, as has happened so many times before, we have these arms left:

Cole Gordon - Sr.
Jared Liebelt - Sr.
Denver McQuary - Jr.
Keegan James - Jr.
Kale Breaux - Jr.
Riley Self - Jr.
Cole Marsh - Jr.
Graham Ashcraft - So.
Josh Hatcher - So.
Zane Stephens - Fr.

Our ERA might be over 10 next year, this situation is much closer to reality than many realize

(1) McQ and Cole Gordon are the only healthy guys with experience that could come back - not saying they are SEC Rotation ace's - just healthy and with multi-year experience
(2) Self, Breaux, James, and Ashcraft are the injured high-ceiling guys that could be the 2019 Ethan Small's
(3) Marsh is the only remaining D1 pitcher not in the other categories

Bottom line is that if we lose Ethan Small to the draft, we are likely going to be very limited on the mound. Then there are the HS and JUCO signees we have, hopefully we get at least 50% yield and they are not DOA like Cam Voss, Hayden Marze, and other dudes we signed recently. Nearly the entire 2015 class of pitchers was destroyed by injury.

The JUCO route has been brutal lately, only like 3 of the last 13 JUCO's have been successful. Take away Rigby, Price, and Blake Smith - you have really bad results. We will probably need a Neff or JP France transfer to help save 2019.