PDA

View Full Version : Random SEC Football "Did you know"....

TUSK
05-02-2018, 02:59 PM
The last time Tennessee beat an SECW team was a 52-14 win over OM in 2010...

That took me aback a lil bit...

Jack Lambert
05-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Is Tenn still really a rival?

05-02-2018, 03:05 PM
This is what happens when you make a bad hire, then have to settle for a coach, then make another bad hire. I think we all now see that the Kiffin hire was not a bad one as far as ability, and who knows where they are if he stayed, but he didn't, he made a terrible decision to go to probation-riddled USC, leaving UT in a lurch, thus he was a bad hire. They had to settle for Dooley, then made another bad decision with Butch

Butch ain't a bad coach, he's just a bad hire for Tennessee, he's not a recruiter, and that's what Tennessee needs

Time will tell if Pruitt is a bad decision, on the surface it seems like it is, but if they'll support him for a few years he may recruit well enough to be decent again, and you can recruit at an elite level at Tennessee

msstate7
05-02-2018, 03:06 PM
They are stuck with bama as a permanent opponent, so they are 0-7 (won't hold bama against them). Here are the 7 losses...

'11 LSU (an all time defense)
'12 state (avg team)
'13 Auburn (really good team)
'14 OM (good team)
'15 ark (decent team)
'16 aTm (decent team)
'17 LSU (good team)

Token Bammer
05-02-2018, 03:12 PM

I will always hate UT. We've had the debate here before and many disagreed, but UT won't always suck as bad as they do now. Losing at big time programs eventually causes everyone to get their house in order. I'm going to enjoy this run as long as possible.

After the Albert Means deal, in which Phatimus Maximums was a "secret witness" for the NCAA, all while trying to buy Means himself for UT, Tennessee Phats told at least one recruit (I believe it was Santonio Beard) that "Alabama Football is dead". Boy was he wrong.

Like I said, I will always have a special place like that of fire burning hell in my heart for UT and Fat Phil. Most BAMA fans feel the same way. Phil's recent return to UT has done nothing but rekindle that old flame.

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2018, 03:23 PM
I can't figure out why Tennessee wants to keep Bama as their permanent opponent other than for pride and status. It literally make no sense for them.

msstate7
05-02-2018, 03:30 PM
I can't figure out why Tennessee wants to keep Bama as their permanent opponent other than for pride and status. It literally make no sense for them.

I grew up watching that game. I would be very disappointed if tenn dropped that game bc of Saban dominance. He won't be there forever. Saban has won last 11, but series was 44-38-7 bama before saban.

TUSK
05-02-2018, 03:48 PM

Oh yeah... they get a waiver from my "a series must me competitive to be a rivalry" rule....

phuckin, orange, scallywag, commie bastards....

TUSK
05-02-2018, 03:50 PM
I will always hate UT. We've had the debate here before and many disagreed, but UT won't always suck as bad as they do now. Losing at big time programs eventually causes everyone to get their house in order. I'm going to enjoy this run as long as possible.

After the Albert Means deal, in which Phatimus Maximums was a "secret witness" for the NCAA, all while trying to buy Means himself for UT, Tennessee Phats told at least one recruit (I believe it was Santonio Beard) that "Alabama Football is dead". Boy was he wrong.

Like I said, I will always have a special place like that of fire burning hell in my heart for UT and Fat Phil. Most BAMA fans feel the same way. Phil's recent return to UT has done nothing but rekindle that old flame.

This is correct.

Token Bammer
05-02-2018, 03:51 PM
Oh yeah... they get a waiver from my "a series must me competitive to be a rivalry" rule....

This is also correct.

Commercecomet24
05-02-2018, 04:06 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TUSK again.

Jack Lambert
05-02-2018, 04:16 PM

You have to give them credit for the game day shirt colors. They can use it for many different events. Game day, Hunting and picking up garbage on the road when working off tickets just to mention a few.

TUSK
05-02-2018, 04:18 PM
You have to give them credit for the game day shirt colors. They can use it for many different events. Game day, Hunting and picking up garbage on the road when working off tickets just to mention a few.

that NEVER gets old, buddy.... +1

Johnson85
05-02-2018, 04:48 PM

UT won't always suck, but they are just not a big time program any more than most Power 5 schools. They are clearly behind LSU, UGA, Bama, Auburn and UF in their own conference (and I think A&M belongs in that group also although that's more arguable. That puts them at basically middle of the pack in their own conference (granted an extremely strong conference). I would actually put them behind USCe. They are like most Power5 schools in that they can win if they make a good hire, but they don't have any particular advantage at this point. I guess they still have enough cachet that if they make the right hire, it would be hard for anybody to poach their coach.

Token Bammer
05-02-2018, 06:25 PM
UT won't always suck, but they are just not a big time program any more than most Power 5 schools. They are clearly behind LSU, UGA, Bama, Auburn and UF in their own conference (and I think A&M belongs in that group also although that's more arguable. That puts them at basically middle of the pack in their own conference (granted an extremely strong conference). I would actually put them behind USCe. They are like most Power5 schools in that they can win if they make a good hire, but they don't have any particular advantage at this point. I guess they still have enough cachet that if they make the right hire, it would be hard for anybody to poach their coach.

Historically, you are not accurate. Is UT BAMA, USCw, or Notre Dame historically? No. But they are top 15-20. UT will survive, they will make the right hire, and they will come back. This coming from a Bammer who is completely ok with the program going under entirely. UT has a ton of fan support and eventually they will get it together. JMO

UGA has always been a disappointment. UF was nothing before Spurrier. LSU disappeared for like 50 years before Saban got there and they are on the verge of disappearing again. A&M is like UGA, but worse. AU is historically somewhere between a 7-8 win program. I remember, not all that long ago, everyone pointing and laughing at BAMA. My point is, there are ups and downs. UT isn't done.

USCe....that's laughable imo.

Jarius
05-02-2018, 07:24 PM
SEC moneyis a two edged sword for the programs that already have a ton of money. When everyone else that has not been able to bring in recruits and show them great facilities and stadiums all of a sudden could do that, it makes it a lot tougher on the blue bloods in this conference. I don't fear going up against anyone in this conference for a recruit outside of Alabama and a Louisiana kid with LSU. That's never been the case until we were able to upgrade our stadium and facilities. Hiring a really good coach is a lot more important now than it used to be for those big money programs. They can't just walk into a living room with that big logo on their chest and assume they will beat State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc for a recruit any longer.

Johnson85
05-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Historically, you are not accurate. Is UT BAMA, USCw, or Notre Dame historically? No. But they are top 15-20. UT will survive, they will make the right hire, and they will come back. This coming from a Bammer who is completely ok with the program going under entirely. UT has a ton of fan support and eventually they will get it together. JMO

UGA has always been a disappointment. UF was nothing before Spurrier. LSU disappeared for like 50 years before Saban got there and they are on the verge of disappearing again. A&M is like UGA, but worse. AU is historically somewhere between a 7-8 win program. I remember, not all that long ago, everyone pointing and laughing at BAMA. My point is, there are ups and downs. UT isn't done.

I'm not talking about what they have been historically; I'm talking about what they are for the foreseeable future. Florida, Lsu, uga, and a&M are all either the school in a state with good recruiting or one of the major players in a State big enough to support multiple programs. And it doesn't have a money advantage over any of them.

Alabama and auburn don't have the same natural advantages, but they are in a better recruiting area (even if it's crowded) and they have a surplus of crazy fans.

TUSK
05-02-2018, 10:01 PM
I'm not talking about what they have been historically; I'm talking about what they are for the foreseeable future. Florida, Lsu, uga, and a&M are all either the school in a state with good recruiting or one of the major players in a State big enough to support multiple programs. And it doesn't have a money advantage over any of them.

Alabama and auburn don't have the same natural advantages, but they are in a better recruiting area (even if it's crowded) and they have a surplus of crazy fans.

I think some of both is correct... The passion of the UT fan base shouldn't be discounted, but unless they are able to ramp up recruiting to a national level again, they are gonna struggle... Tennessee doesn't have the in-state talent to not go "abroad"... and yes, the SEC welfare money has leveled the playing field....

I don't believe they'll be the top 10 program they've historically been, but if they ever get a good coach and great recruiter, top 15-20 is a certainty, IMO....

also, Phat Phil is going to pull out all the stops... He just fired his Boss, ya know?

confucius say
05-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Tn is a victim of the growth of college football and parity. They have a shitty recruiting base, and now that others (like msu/ark/om/USCe) have big time budgets sufficient to compete and recruit nationally, Tn suffers.

confucius say
05-02-2018, 10:09 PM
I think some of both is correct... The passion of the UT fan base shouldn't be discounted, but unless they are able to ramp up recruiting to a national level again, they are gonna struggle... Tennessee doesn't have the in-state talent to not go "abroad"... and yes, the SEC welfare money has leveled the playing field....

I don't believe they'll be the top 10 program they've historically been, but if they ever get a good coach and great recruiter, top 15-20 is a certainty, IMO....

also, Phat Phil is going to pull out all the stops... He just fired his Boss, ya know?

12 teams in the sec can be a top 15-20 program if they hire a good coach and great recruiter (or a great coach and good recruiter). Tn is not special in this regard.

BuckyIsAB****
05-02-2018, 10:24 PM

1. Its a rivalry and it shouldnt go away. CFB should have never lost the TX A&M and Texas game either.

2. Its not up to them to decide

msstate7
05-02-2018, 10:31 PM
1. Its a rivalry and it shouldnt go away. CFB should have never lost the TX A&M and Texas game either.

2. Its not up to them to decide

Speaking of the aTm-Texas rivalry, they both have great coaches now and need to renew the rivalry. I always loved watching that game

TUSK
05-02-2018, 10:46 PM
12 teams in the sec can be a top 15-20 program if they hire a good coach and great recruiter (or a great coach and good recruiter). Tn is not special in this regard.

That's very true... I will say that the emphasis that UT puts on the football program is greater than more than just 2 sec programs...

But, I get your drift and stand corrected...

Token Bammer
05-02-2018, 10:53 PM

Maybe so. While Tennessee (the state) isn't the recruiting hotbed some states are, it is in the best geographic location in the country. The southern states are collectively a hotbed, and it won't be much of a stretch at all to see them put together a few great classes. If awbren can do it, anyone can do it. Heck, people don't even know what state all-barn is in and most of their kids commit to a school that doesn't even exist. "The University of Awbren".

Like you said, Phil will stop at nothing.

Token Bammer
05-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Speaking of the aTm-Texas rivalry, they both have great coaches now and need to renew the rivalry. I always loved watching that game

Agreed. What a shame.

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2018, 07:01 AM

But history changed when all SEC schools started to be on TV every week and Clemson became a power. It ruined Tennessee's recruiting advantage.

Your correct that Tennessee will win again, but that doesn't mean they are some sleeping giant. It just means that have the capability of winning.

Tennessee is just another program. History means very little under the current circumstances

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2018, 07:05 AM
That's very true... I will say that the emphasis that UT puts on the football program is greater than more than just 2 sec programs...

But, I get your drift and stand corrected...

Emphasis doesn't win games.

Some combination of coaching + how easy is it for you to recruit = winning.

Unless East TN has a massive demographic change, it's just never going to be easy for Tennessee to have better talent than at least 3 teams on their yearly schedule.

TUSK
05-03-2018, 08:59 AM

Unless East TN has a massive demographic change, it's just never going to be easy for Tennessee to have better talent than at least 3 teams on their yearly schedule.

True, but "lack of emphasis" sure will lose games...

and you're dead nuts on RE: the demographics of East Tennessee...

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2018, 09:15 AM
True, but "lack of emphasis" sure will lose games...

and you're dead nuts on RE: the demographics of East Tennessee...

Agree, but outside of KY & Vandy, every team in the SEC has "emphasis"

The combination of Tennessee's recruiting ability & emphasis should allow them to settle into 2nd tier of SEC, but they simply don't have the resources to be a top tier SEC program.

Tier 1 ( Teams that have resources to win without trying)

Bama, UGA, LSU,

Tier 2 (Teams that have resources to win big, but have to try)

Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida, Tennessee (I think the Florida job is more like A&M than UGA. Most of that state is from somewhere else)

Tier 3 (Teams That Won't win Big, but can win consistently with correct formula)

MSU, OM, South Carolina, Missouri

Tier 4 (Teams that just lack the recruiting resources to consistently compete)

Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas

These lines can become blurred at times & can be confused with historical precedent, but, history does not matter going forward. Arkansas' recruiting ability prior to TCU, A&M, & Missouri moving up in the college football world, does not resemble their current recruiting ability. By the same token, MSU, OM, & South Carolina can ease into Tier 2 at times. This represents the "resting pulse"

Johnson85
05-03-2018, 09:30 AM

Emphasis means a lot, because it typically is reflective of alumni support. There is no reason for Auburn to be as successful as they have been. There's no reason for Kentucky to not be better than they are, even if they are a little behind the eight ball compared to everyone other than Vandy. Emphasis has helped Ole Miss offset what should have been program crippling racial baggage. UT's emphasis means going forward they should be grouped with the non-big boys, non-vandy, non-UK, and non-Mizzou SEC teams, and not just Kentucky south.

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Emphasis means a lot, because it typically is reflective of alumni support. There is no reason for Auburn to be as successful as they have been. There's no reason for Kentucky to not be better than they are, even if they are a little behind the eight ball compared to everyone other than Vandy. Emphasis has helped Ole Miss offset what should have been program crippling racial baggage. UT's emphasis means going forward they should be grouped with the non-big boys, non-vandy, non-UK, and non-Mizzou SEC teams, and not just Kentucky south.

Emphasis certainly matters, but it can't consistently overcome natural resources.

Auburn is only 30 miles further from downtown Atlanta than Athens, GA is. Additionally, Auburn has access to Florida due to location.

Auburn is in an excellent location in regards to being close to where the talent is.

BuckyIsAB****
05-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Agree, but outside of KY & Vandy, every team in the SEC has "emphasis"

The combination of Tennessee's recruiting ability & emphasis should allow them to settle into 2nd tier of SEC, but they simply don't have the resources to be a top tier SEC program.

Tier 1 ( Teams that have resources to win without trying)

Bama, UGA, LSU,

Tier 2 (Teams that have resources to win big, but have to try)

Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida, Tennessee (I think the Florida job is more like A&M than UGA. Most of that state is from somewhere else)

Tier 3 (Teams That Won't win Big, but can win consistently with correct formula)

MSU, OM, South Carolina, Missouri

Tier 4 (Teams that just lack the recruiting resources to consistently compete)

Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas

These lines can become blurred at times & can be confused with historical precedent, but, history does not matter going forward. Arkansas' recruiting ability prior to TCU, A&M, & Missouri moving up in the college football world, does not resemble their current recruiting ability. By the same token, MSU, OM, & South Carolina can ease into Tier 2 at times. This represents the "resting pulse"

Arkansas is a tier low. Should be in 3. They care. They fell off bc of Burt not bc of Arkansas. Idk if Morris will bring them all the way back but they will be better.

Vandy and UK dont care enough really to win big

WPS
05-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Arkansas is a tier low. Should be in 3. They care. They fell off bc of Burt not bc of Arkansas. Idk if Morris will bring them all the way back but they will be better.

Yeah I was about to say Arkansas' average recruiting ranking in the last 10 years is pretty similar to those in tier 3 even after A&M, TCU and Missouri changed conferences. Same number of players drafted the past five years as Georgia.

Token Bammer
05-03-2018, 11:12 AM
We are acting like Knoxville is in Hawaii. We are also acting like tradition doesn't matter in a sport where it is one of the most important factors. Being on TV is nice and all, but being on TV doesn't magically turn South Carolina into Tennessee. JMO. That's all I've got.

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2018, 11:18 AM

I agree that Arkansas is debatable, but they simply don't have the local talent base that other SEC schools have. I do think it's easier to win at Arkansas than Vandy or Kentucky though.

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2018, 11:21 AM
Yeah I was about to say Arkansas' average recruiting ranking in the last 10 years is pretty similar to those in tier 3 even after A&M, TCU and Missouri changed conferences. Same number of players drafted the past five years as Georgia.

I'd say the last 5 years is far more relevant that the last 10 years, due to TCU, A&M, & Mizzou. The truth is though, it's tough for you guys. You simply don't have the in-state talent that is gifted to you for a resting pulse of talent.

I do agree though that Arkansas is better than Vandy & KY. I do think it's a little tougher than the teams I have in the 3rd tier though

ShotgunDawg
05-03-2018, 11:23 AM
We are acting like Knoxville is in Hawaii. We are also acting like tradition doesn't matter in a sport where it is one of the most important factors. Being on TV is nice and all, but being on TV doesn't magically turn South Carolina into Tennessee. JMO. That's all I've got.

It's just harder at Tennessee. Knoxville isn't Hawaii, but the 2+ hour radius doesn't produce much, particularly when compared to the other top 2 tier SEC schools.

msstate7
05-03-2018, 12:29 PM
I think Tennessee is just a good hire away from being a very good program again. I would've gone with tee Martin once they got to reaching.

Bulldog1
05-03-2018, 12:30 PM
I think Tennessee is just a good hire away from being a very good program again. I would've gone with tee Martin once they got to reaching.

I don't think CJP will do very good there.

Token Bammer
05-03-2018, 12:38 PM
I don't think CJP will do very good there.

I think Pruitt is an excellent defensive coach and recruiter. However, I'm just not sure he is ready for a head coaching job like UT. Plus, he's got Tennessee Phats lurking and looking over his shoulder at every little thing he does. It just wasn't the right the fit imo, and Pruitt jumped the gun.

Jarius
05-03-2018, 12:48 PM

Tradition matters less now than it ever has in college football and it will continue to be that way as long as money is flowing and helping out programs. South Carolina has been a better football program than Tennessee for a decade. Alabama was wondering around in the wilderness for a decade, and would still be wondering around in the wilderness if they would not have hired Saban. Now tradition helped them hire a great coach, but that was in 2007. Going forward it's going to be less difficult for the MSU's of the world to hire the same caliber coaches as the blue bloods, and this past hiring cycle is exhibit A.

Token Bammer
05-03-2018, 01:03 PM
Tradition matters less now than it ever has in college football and it will continue to be that way as long as money is flowing and helping out programs. South Carolina has been a better football program than Tennessee for a decade. Alabama was wondering around in the wilderness for a decade, and would still be wondering around in the wilderness if they would not have hired Saban. Now tradition helped them hire a great coach, but that was in 2007. Going forward it's going to be less difficult for the MSU's of the world to hire the same caliber coaches as the blue bloods, and this past hiring cycle is exhibit A.

There is a laundry list of reasons why I disagree with your comments, but I digress. Agree to disagree on this one. There will always be built in reasons associated with tradition that make it easier for bigger programs to make those hires and win big. That's why the same handful of teams compete for the NC and are ranked in the top 10 most seasons. Is it impossible for smaller programs to do? No. But it is easier for those with a greater history, tradition, and support.

WPS
05-03-2018, 01:34 PM
There is a laundry list of reasons why I disagree with your comments, but I digress. Agree to disagree on this one. There will always be built in reasons associated with tradition that make it easier for bigger programs to make those hires and win big. That's why the same handful of teams compete for the NC and are ranked in the top 10 most seasons. Is it impossible for smaller programs to do? No. But it is easier for those with a greater history, tradition, and support.

Yeah I doubt recruits are flocking to Norman, Oklahoma if they didn't have the tradition that they do. No other reason they should recruit so well.

One thing that I think has changed from the way it used to be is kids aren't growing up dreaming of playing for the state school as much anymore. Legacies used to be a lock to go to the same school as their relatives but now they have more access to other programs so sometimes they like to do something different.

confucius say
05-03-2018, 02:04 PM

Don't conflate tradition and money.

You take the financial advantages away from tradition rich programs and watch how fast those programs fall to the mean.

Point being, the more the impact of financial advantage diminishes, the less tradition is an indicator of future success.

NFL is a perfect example. Just bc the Browns, 49ers, etc have tradition doesn't mean diddly regarding future success because teams are on a level playing financially.

Jarius
05-03-2018, 02:09 PM

It still matters, it just matters a lot less now than it used to. When Dan Mullen was hired at MSU in 09, everyone was shocked that the top OC in the country would go to Mississippi State. When we hired Moorhead, no one was shocked, they just said it was a really solid hire. The gap has closed considerably and it's getting smaller every year. At some point, you can only spend so much money before you have a significant amount of diminishing returns. No one getting recruited gives a shit that Tennessee was good when they were in their dad's ball sack. No one gives a shit that Nebraska was good when the triple option was in style. Could these teams come back to glory? Of course they could with the right hire. They don't have much better of a shot than anyone else in their conference in making that right hire in 2018 because everyone else offers everything that they do.

Johnson85
05-03-2018, 02:22 PM

Tradition definitely makes things easier, but it helps less when you go long enough for recruits to not remember you being good. UT has averaged 6.2 wins a year for the past ten years and the east has been garbage for most of that time (granted they've been pretty much guaranteed a loss against Bama). Vanderbilt and Kentucky have averaged 5.3. USCe has averaged 8.1. They need to turn it around soon or as far as recruits go, it will be like hearing ole miss talking about pre-integration days. That doesn't negate all of the benefits of their alumni support; but it limits what it can do.

To be fair, Oklahoma averaged 6.1 from 1990-1999, and they obviously recovered. But of course that's without the benefit of an additional cupcake each year, so really more like 7.1 wins per season (and of course they probably missed on a . I'm not sure what other schools have a tradition/history that looks much better than you would expect based on their natural advantages. Notre Dame is sort of like that? Who else? I could understand an argument about Bama, but they haven't had a ten year stretch like UT's. Even in hte "bad days", they interspersed some 10 win seasons in pretty regularly. You've got to back to the seventies to early eighties to find something similar regarding auburn, and even they mixed in two 10 win seasons whichever way you want to pick the starting point.