PDA

View Full Version : PG rankings

Homedawg
05-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Not sure if this has been posted or not, if it has, sorry
Stewart 6, Winn 19, Ginn 48, Pilk 50, Jackson 54, Bush 157, Mangum 159.
Hope we can hang onto Bush, the others are a pipe dream. Obviously, these differ from other sites, but good to look at none the less.

05-02-2018, 11:53 AM
So, tell me again why it is good to recruit these guys?

I know the theory. If we sign 1 or 2, we've done well, I get all that. And if we suffer no consequences for signing them, I say go ahead, sign them. But if their recruitments are taking up valuable time and resources, that could be spent recruiting the next tier of guys (ie the guys that get drafted late or are right outside the draft), then I say it's a bad thing

Seems to me like there is only a select few schools like Florida or Vanderbilt that can pull this type of player, and often it's only pitchers that have a prayer to sign. Don't know if it's due to the coach or the scholarship money or the school or all of the above. Even Zunino and that bunch were late draftees, not high rounders

msstate7
05-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Any idea on where small will go? He is our most important recruit for next season imo

msstate7
05-02-2018, 11:55 AM

I know the theory. If we sign 1 or 2, we've done well, I get all that. And if we suffer no consequences for signing them, I say go ahead, sign them. But if their recruitments are taking up valuable time and resources, that could be spent recruiting the next tier of guys (ie the guys that get drafted late or are right outside the draft), then I say it's a bad thing.

Maybe you go after elites that are huge fans or very local. Isn't that how OM got their crazy amount of great prospects on campus 2 years ago? Spending much time on out of state elite prospects is a waste of time imo

05-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Maybe you go after elites that are huge fans or very local. Isn't that how OM got their crazy amount of great prospects on campus 2 years ago? Spending much time on out of state elite prospects is a waste of time imo

Yeah but even those guys were late round draftees if at all, similar to our current freshman class

Homedawg
05-02-2018, 12:01 PM

I know the theory. If we sign 1 or 2, we've done well, I get all that. And if we suffer no consequences for signing them, I say go ahead, sign them. But if their recruitments are taking up valuable time and resources, that could be spent recruiting the next tier of guys (ie the guys that get drafted late or are right outside the draft), then I say it's a bad thing

Seems to me like there is only a select few schools like Florida or Vanderbilt that can pull this type of player, and often it's only pitchers that have a prayer to sign. Don't know if it's due to the coach or the scholarship money or the school or all of the above. Even Zunino and that bunch were late draftees, not high rounders

Why not? If one gets hurt or has a crazy asking price and you sneak out one, you've won. There is nothing to lose. We are signing 20+ guys knowing we have some draft risks and will lose some. It would be dumb not to sign some if you can. Again, everything to gain, and absolutely nothing to lose. nothing.

msstate7
05-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Why not? If one gets hurt or has a crazy asking price and you sneak out one, you've won. There is nothing to lose. We are signing 20+ guys knowing we have some draft risks and will lose some. It would be dumb not to sign some if you can. Again, everything to gain, and absolutely nothing to lose. nothing.

Didn't we end up with guys like vansau bc of the mlb draft?

TNDawg35
05-02-2018, 12:08 PM
All this depends on what coach we hire. The right coach can maybe convince a couple of these big time guys to stay. There was one guy who was pretty close to the Ginn family saying he was really wanting to hit and pitch and the pros only wanted him to pitch. If we pull him, that's a big time get!

msbulldog
05-02-2018, 12:10 PM
That would be CommerceComet whose friends with JT's dad and says JT wants to come to MSU.

Homedawg
05-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Didn't we end up with guys like vansau bc of the mlb draft?

we are always going to sign players in the late signing period and this is before the draft. Now if someone we sign blows up that might cause us to sign someone else late, but thats not the case w any guys we are talking about this year, nor the topic of convo.

05-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Time is money.

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2018, 12:56 PM

Because you recruit these kids before they are these types of players. Just bad luck this year with all of them clicking.

Additionally, you sign other players to take their spots, &, if they DO happen to make it to campus, you just get rid of a current player that isn't contributing.

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Any idea on where small will go? He is our most important recruit for next season imo

4th-7th round. He gone

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2018, 12:58 PM

Disagree. At the time you commit them, you don't know what their prospect status will be in 2 or 3 years.

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2018, 01:00 PM
Time is money.

What time?

People don't flip recruits in baseball like they do in football & these players are mostly seen at the same tournaments.

There really wasn't a ton of time put in recruiting some of these guys.

smootness
05-02-2018, 01:00 PM
Yeah but even those guys were late round draftees if at all, similar to our current freshman class

They were late draftees because people knew they were going to school, not because that's where their talent would suggest they should be taken.

Homedawg
05-02-2018, 01:04 PM
They were late draftees because people knew they were going to school, not because that's where their talent would suggest they should be taken.

This

Homedawg
05-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Time is money.

They are all playing at the same tournaments. We are signing 23+ guys. Again name what it hurt. Or just stick your head in the sand and be stubborn thinking it's a waste of time. It's not. And we have to continue doing it or we will always be an also ran. Fact.

TNDawg35
05-02-2018, 01:16 PM
That would be CommerceComet whose friends with JT's dad and says JT wants to come to MSU.

That’s him, I couldn’t think off the top of my head his username. Thanks.

TNDawg35
05-02-2018, 01:17 PM
4th-7th round. He gone

That’s the kind of talent that a damn good coach can make a fella come back and work into the first round the following yr.

Commercecomet24
05-02-2018, 01:29 PM

This! There are several reasons we have a chance to get JT in Maroon and White. He wants to still hit and pitch(although talking to Mike last week there are several MLB teams that are now willing to let him try pitching and DHing), he only has to play at State for 2 years not 3 before he can go in the draft based on his age, and they have a $ number that they will require for JT to go pro this year. If they get the $ amount they want he would be foolish not to take it. Either way I'm gonna be happy for JT, his family and my friend. It's the culmination of a lot of dedication, hard work and the fulfilling of a dream. Me and Mike have talked at great length over the last 8 or 9 years as we have watched our sons develop(my son 3 years younger than JT). We all love the game and talk a lot of baseball every week and it's been a blast watching the kids grow and develop. Selfishly I want the best of both worlds, to see JT play at State and then to go on to a successful pro career. JT is not only a great player but a fine young man as well. I will be pulling for him no matter how it turns out.

Homedawg
05-02-2018, 01:34 PM
This! There are several reasons we have a chance to get JT in Maroon and White. He wants to still hit and pitch(although talking to Mike last week there are several MLB teams that are now willing to let him try pitching and DHing), he only has to play at State for 2 years not 3 before he can go in the draft based on his age, and they have a $ number that they will require for JT to go pro this year. If they get the $ amount they want he would be foolish not to take it. Either way I'm gonna be happy for JT, his family and my friend. It's the culmination of a lot of dedication, hard work and the fulfilling of a dream. Me and Mike have talked at great length over the last 8 or 9 years as we have watched our sons develop(my son 3 years younger than JT). We all love the game and talk a lot of baseball every week and it's been a blast watching the kids grow and develop. Selfishly I want the best of both worlds, to see JT play at State and then to go on to a successful pro career. JT is not only a great player but a fine young man as well. I will be pulling for him no matter how it turns out.

Best of luck to him. One bit of info though, if they tell him he's going to pitch, hes going to pitch. The DH part is a smokescreen. They will focus on one and one only, which in this case is pitching. Either way, hope he plays here, but if not, hope he makes it to the bigs. Sounds like a good kid and great family. Hard to find fault if he signs the way they are goin about it.

The Federalist Engineer
05-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Three or four years ago when Nick and JC first talked to them, they were just good 14/15 year olds. There was no guarantee they would rise to 1st round material. The kid in Mobile is now hitting +600 and kept getting bigger. No way to predict it.

I think it's ok to look for stud-bolts, you just need volume in your haul so that losing 1/3 of the crops is not crippling

Today, you cant start calling the kids ranked 100-200 and try to flip them after the MLB ratings are released. Baseball players seem to be stable middle class people with parents - you can't just flip them with shoes, strippers, and petty cash. For the interested, MLB has more shoes, minor league groupies, and way more cash.

Cary Hudson's little bro
05-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Hmmm....go to college and be in debt (11.7!) or sign and make money while adding a college clause to your contract so the Mets or whoever will cover 4 years of college if you don't make the Bigs.

We have no shot.

Commercecomet24
05-02-2018, 01:47 PM
Best of luck to him. One bit of info though, if they tell him he's going to pitch, hes going to pitch. The DH part is a smokescreen. They will focus on one and one only, which in this case is pitching. Either way, hope he plays here, but if not, hope he makes it to the bigs. Sounds like a good kid and great family. Hard to find fault if he signs the way they are goin about it.

Possibly, but with the success Brendan Mckay is having doing both in the minors right now it is a distinct possibility that they will at least let him give it a shot. Mind you it's only 2 clubs that have mentioned letting him do both, so it is a limited number.

ShotgunDawg
05-02-2018, 01:53 PM
That?s the kind of talent that a damn good coach can make a fella come back and work into the first round the following yr.

Maybe. Him being a RS SO helps for sure.

My guess is he gets offered about 350K. Not sure if he'll sign

05-02-2018, 02:36 PM

This continues to never be proven. It may be true, but we'll never know, so I chalk it up to being similar to School A's fans saying they didn't offer a kid if they don't commit, and the like

I don't think the MLB cares too much, if they want a kid, they draft him, especially nowadays with the slotted picks. They have 40 rounds/year, they can afford to mess it up from time to time

05-02-2018, 02:40 PM
What time?

People don't flip recruits in baseball like they do in football & these players are mostly seen at the same tournaments.

There really wasn't a ton of time put in recruiting some of these guys.
Yeah I don't believe that

Polk tanked our program because he recruited lazily, while Bianco was working his ass off RECRUITING, in every way/shape/form imaginable. Ask Cohen about the time that goes into recruiting

preachermatt83
05-02-2018, 02:47 PM
JT will not get the money he's wanting if he's not in the first round.

Turfdawg67
05-02-2018, 02:56 PM
They are all playing at the same tournaments. We are signing 23+ guys. Again name what it hurt. Or just stick your head in the sand and be stubborn thinking it's a waste of time. It's not. And we have to continue doing it or we will always be an also ran. Fact.

He simply asked the question and said IF... geez, lighten the 17 up.

Homedawg
05-02-2018, 03:19 PM
He simply asked the question and said IF... geez, lighten the 17 up.

I don't need to lighten up. Trying to explain to someone who clearly didnt get it. And it's pretty obvious he didn't!!!

Homedawg
05-02-2018, 03:34 PM

Should probably bookmark this, because some of the top 350 will go late. Like very late, why? Because they have to big of a number for where their draft value is. Happens every year. Heck, just look at how many sr's are taken in the late in the first ten rounds. It's because they cost nothing and saves slot room.

Commercecomet24
05-02-2018, 04:00 PM
Should probably bookmark this, because some of the top 350 will go late. Like very late, why? Because they have to big of a number for where their draft value is. Happens every year. Heck, just look at how many sr's are taken in the late in the first ten rounds. It's because they cost nothing and saves slot room.

Yeah starting in round 7 last year and really in rounds 8-10 the money given was chump change. Some got as little as $1500.

TNDawg35
05-02-2018, 04:19 PM
I really think that Small can come back another yr, still have leverage and get into the first round. He is one we really really need back. LA and Stovall are coming back barring some miracle. We really really need to get JT in school. We could use his arm and bat. I think from everything I'm hearing is Winn is long gone. He had 3 GMs at his last start. I still think whoever the coach is, McDonnelll, will bring some of his recruits with him. Maybe even a grad transfer or 2 in the pitching department...

05-02-2018, 04:41 PM
4th-7th round. He gone

Yep. He's already had TJ. He needs to make some money off his arm while he can, I don't blame him a bit

05-02-2018, 04:44 PM

So why even draft them? Total throw away pick?

Homedawg
05-02-2018, 04:46 PM
I really think that Small can come back another yr, still have leverage and get into the first round. He is one we really really need back. LA and Stovall are coming back barring some miracle. We really really need to get JT in school. We could use his arm and bat. I think from everything I'm hearing is Winn is long gone. He had 3 GMs at his last start. I still think whoever the coach is, McDonnelll, will bring some of his recruits with him. Maybe even a grad transfer or 2 in the pitching department...

Winn, Stewart and Jackson all gone 100%. Ginn an outside shot, but at least there appears to be a chance, although small........BUsh, Jones and Williams, we shall see. Not sure about the couple of juco pitchers at this point, but they always make me nervous even if drafted in the teens.

Todd4State
05-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Here's how the draft is trending lately.

1st-5th round. High end picks that they think are legit ready for pro ball and are willing to pay lots of money for and will go pro.

6th-10th round. Mostly college seniors like Kramer Robertson last year that they can sign under slot and use the slot money elsewhere to go either above slot on their top five or other picks after round ten.

11th-15th round. Tough signs but guys that they think that they probably can sign.

16th-40th round. Mostly going to school, back to school or signing if they are a senior.

As far as us and high end draft risks...people see the ones that we don't get and harp on that. And yet they conveniently forget that this time last year Jordan Anderson was rated a top 100 player but we got him because he had some injuries in high school. Had we not taken him, we would not have gotten him.

The REAL problem as I have said before is instead of replacing Austin Riley with a player like a Brent Rooker who is raw out of high school but can be developed we've been trying to cut corners by signing a JUCO guy.

Todd4State
05-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Yeah I don't believe that

Polk tanked our program because he recruited lazily, while Bianco was working his ass off RECRUITING, in every way/shape/form imaginable. Ask Cohen about the time that goes into recruiting

Polk wasn't lazy. He was out of date. And you know what he did? He stopped recruiting guys that he thought were high draft risks like you are suggesting and he got burned over and over and over again. See Stephen Head, Brian Dozier, Brian Pettway, and etc.

Bianco didn't and since we didn't want to have to worry about the draft "because those players are a waste of time" Ole Miss got them and built up their program. THAT'S EXACTLY WHY WE HAVE TO RECRUIT THOSE TYPES OF PLAYERS!

Todd4State
05-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Yep. He's already had TJ. He needs to make some money off his arm while he can, I don't blame him a bit

Or knowing that he is still in the recovery stage and has leverage he can come back and have a high likelihood of becoming a first round pick and making between 1-3 million more than he would if he signs this year.

Commercecomet24
05-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Polk wasn't lazy. He was out of date. And you know what he did? He stopped recruiting guys that he thought were high draft risks like you are suggesting and he got burned over and over and over again. See Stephen Head, Brian Dozier, Brian Pettway, and etc.

Bianco didn't and since we didn't want to have to worry about the draft "because those players are a waste of time" Ole Miss got them and built up their program. THAT'S EXACTLY WHY WE HAVE TO RECRUIT THOSE TYPES OF PLAYERS!

Bingo!

Homedawg
05-02-2018, 09:12 PM

If you are insinuating that we didn't sign dozier or pettway bc they were draft risks, that would be wrong. I was closely involved w those two and talking to the staff and we chose to go other directions for stupid reasons and poor talent evaluation. We were just stupid.

Todd4State
05-02-2018, 09:48 PM
If you are insinuating that we didn't sign dozier or pettway bc they were draft risks, that would be wrong. I was closely involved w those two and talking to the staff and we chose to go other directions for stupid reasons and poor talent evaluation. We were just stupid.

I'd like to hear their reasoning. Definitely the dark days of MSU baseball at least for my lifetime. I know the only way we got Ed Easley was he had to basically withdraw his name from the MLB draft and that we told Louis Coleman that he needed to JUCO first and LSU swooped him up and he became their ace and helped them win a National Title before going to MLB. It's actually incredible that we put together a team good enough to make it to Omaha in 2007 even if it was smoke and mirrors.

MarketingBully
05-03-2018, 08:52 AM
I'd like to hear their reasoning. Definitely the dark days of MSU baseball at least for my lifetime. I know the only way we got Ed Easley was he had to basically withdraw his name from the MLB draft and that we told Louis Coleman that he needed to JUCO first and LSU swooped him up and he became their ace and helped them win a National Title before going to MLB. It's actually incredible that we put together a team good enough to make it to Omaha in 2007 even if it was smoke and mirrors.

Dan McDonnell ate Polk’s lunch in recruiting and helped Bianco lay the foundation for OM baseball excellence. Then McDonnell goes to Louisville with Bianco having a head start at OM and goes to 4 CWS to Bianco’s 1 in much much less time. Would be extremely ironic if McDonnell comes here and leads us to a national championship before Bianco goes to his second CWS. If you think Bianco had heat on him before, wait until that happens.

smootness
05-03-2018, 10:01 AM
It's funny to me that some seem to think that McDonnell wouldn't come here but some of those same people think he would go to Ole Miss when Bianco leaves.

If he would go to Ole Miss...he would come here. His only attachment to that place is that he was an assistant there for a little while.

If they have a shot, so do we.

MarketingBully
05-03-2018, 12:12 PM
It's funny to me that some seem to think that McDonnell wouldn't come here but some of those same people think he would go to Ole Miss when Bianco leaves.

If he would go to Ole Miss...he would come here. His only attachment to that place is that he was an assistant there for a little while.

If they have a shot, so do we.

We are his dream job. Cohen and him talked a lot even before this year. They talk even more now then they have before. This was confirmed by Louisville people. If I were Louisville, I’d be extremely worried. Take that for what it’s worth.

TNDawg35
05-03-2018, 12:33 PM
We are his dream job. Cohen and him talked a lot even before this year. They talk even more now then they have before. This was confirmed by Louisville people. If I were Louisville, I’d be extremely worried. Take that for what it’s worth.

This man gets it!!

The Federalist Engineer
05-03-2018, 01:21 PM

Delete