PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully not Germans, but Top 15 Post Spring Game Ranking

mparkerfd20
05-01-2018, 11:21 AM
Finally starting to get some recognition...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-top-25-rankings-alabama-on-top-post-spring-new-coaches-see-rapid-results/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2018, 11:25 AM
But Dan Wolken said State was a "likely" win for LSU this year.

Bully13
05-01-2018, 11:30 AM
The Author forgot about Joe's previous HC gig.

msstate7
05-01-2018, 11:34 AM
But Dan Wolken said State was a "likely" win for LSU this year.

I think we have a good shot of winning there. With that said, hard to be mad at Wolken's prediction... we have lost 12 of 13 there.

BrunswickDawg
05-01-2018, 12:17 PM
I discount any ranking that calls the Big 10 East the toughest division in CFB.
I will give props for "Heisman candidate Nick Fitzgerald" though.

I think 11 preseason is where we should be. I think we will be ranked about 19th.

fishwater99
05-01-2018, 12:19 PM

yep, poor research by him..

vv83
05-01-2018, 12:27 PM
yep, poor research by him..

He said first FBS head coaching job at the end, I think he knows

Bully13
05-01-2018, 12:29 PM
He said first FBS head coaching job at the end, I think he knows

That was an update / correction.

TrapGame
05-01-2018, 01:39 PM
I think we have a good shot of winning there. With that said, hard to be mad at Wolken's prediction... we have lost 12 of 13 there.

We're gonna beat that tiger ass until DV is virtually empty except for maroon shirts in the 4th quarter. Ed O looked like a cantankerous child coaching the spring game. He spent as much time on the sideline chewing his o-line coach out than actually on the field watching his team. He crawled up just about every offensive coach's ass during that game. Not a good sign.

PMDawg
05-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Finally starting to get some recognition...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-top-25-rankings-alabama-on-top-post-spring-new-coaches-see-rapid-results/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

How did Dan Mullen "always overachieve" yet still "leaves the cupboard stocked" for Moorhead?

msstate7
05-01-2018, 02:28 PM
How did Dan Mullen "always overachieve" yet still "leaves the cupboard stocked" for Moorhead?

You have to use the same logic that says Mullen sucks recruiting, but we are a 9-10 win/ sec west threat team with potentially 8 or more draft picks

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-01-2018, 03:43 PM
You have to use the same logic that says Mullen sucks recruiting, but we are a 9-10 win/ sec west threat team with potentially 8 or more draft picks

Exactly, Mullen averaged about #25 recruiting nationally. Some years we wind up young (2013, 2016) and thus don't play like a top 30 team. Some years we wind up experienced (2014, 2018) and play (or will play) like a top 15 team. It indicates to me #25 is a reasonably accurate evaluation. In a state with A) another SEC program in it (that cheats like crazy), B) a 3rd FBS team in it, C) 3 top 15 programs in states bordering us, and D) literally HALF the HS population per P5 team to draw from relative to the teams we play, #25 isn't bad.

I do, however, agree that there is room for improvement and Moorhead will do better at recruiting. But I can say "Mullen is a decent recruiter, but not elite" without blowing a fuse, unlike many here who seem to have a problem portraying him as anything other than pathetic at it.

Moorhead has a better scheme, demands more from his staff, and will bring in better players. We can say "State hasn't hit its ceiling" without also lying about *******' recruiting. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad given our situation

biggun
05-01-2018, 05:11 PM

Very true

TaleofTwoDogs
05-01-2018, 05:50 PM

Noticed that. I guess Dodd should have said "his first power-5 head coaching position"

Pit Bull
05-01-2018, 10:11 PM
We're gonna beat that tiger ass until DV is virtually empty except for maroon shirts in the 4th quarter. Ed O looked like a cantankerous child coaching the spring game. He spent as much time on the sideline chewing his o-line coach out than actually on the field watching his team. He crawled up just about every offensive coach's ass during that game. Not a good sign.

I normally side with LSU (esp. if it's at night), but this year, I think we win one at LSU. Death Valley is about the #1 ranked toughest venue to play in. And if they have a good team.....it's really tough. I'm not sold on their QB though and I still think Ed O and Luke at Ole Miss will battle each other for worst coach in the SEC.