PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Expectations Football 2018

BB30
05-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Thinking about the upcoming season what are the realistic expectations for this team? I have been pretty excited but there are still some questions regarding a new staff and new schemes on both sides of the ball.

I think the defense will make the transition fairly smoothly assuming our secondary is improved they should be fairly dominant especially up front. That should help the secondary out some with a solid LB and DL group.

Offensively I have some reservations. Fitz not being able to go this spring while still learning will have fall practice to really pick up a completely new offense. That combined with our WR group being average at best worries me a bit. I do think we will compensate with an above average TE group and hope to see them more involved in the passing game. We have a solid group of RBs to help take some of the load off but in the end we will have to be able to stretch some defenses to open up the running game against the better teams.

Here is the schedule. The Kansas State game will be a huge game for us IMO we really need to win that game early to get on a role. We win that game and could be 5-0 rolling into the Auburn game.

Sept. 1 Stephen F. Austin W

Sept. 8 at Kansas State W (win a close one with our defense really stealing the show)

Sept. 15 Louisiana-Lafayette W

Sept. 22 at Kentucky W (closer game than many will expect)

Sept. 29 Florida W (really think we will stomp UF, no QB to run Dan's offense and our D will own them)

Oct. 6 Auburn L (tough game at home. Think it is close and I really see it as more of a toss up. Pinning it as a loss right now due to our secondary against Stidham)

Oct. 20 at LSU W (Think we finally get two in a row here. A lack of QB play and our Defense will be able to stop the run all night long.)

Oct. 27 Texas A&M W ( Think it will take Jimbo a bit to get things rolling at A&M. Think we win this one by a couple of scores)

Nov. 3 Louisiana Tech W (think this is a close game for the 1st quarter but we end up running away with it)

Nov. 10 at Alabama L (tough game on the road. Typical physical MSU/Bama game. Think their offense will be just a little too much for us to keep up with)

Nov. 17 Arkansas W (we are more talented and just better. Both teams breaking in a new coach but I think we win this one by a couple of scores)

Nov. 22 at Ole Miss W( think we get payback for last year and win by a couple of scores.)

I think we have a great chance at finishing with another 10 win season. The K state game will tell us a good bit about this team. I do think the LSU game could be a toss up and we may drop one more somewhere along the way to finish 9-3.

I would consider 9-3 or 10-2 to be a great season and good start to Jo Mo's career at state. 8-4 would be a bit disappointing with the roster we have. I just really don't know how much of an effect breaking in a new coaching staff will have on the season? Anything less than 8-4 would be a real disappointment.

Question is does 10-2 with losses to Auburn and Alabama get us in a NY6 bowl?

Sorry for the long post. Interested in your opinions and thoughts on having a new coaching staff and the effect it may have.

msstate7
05-01-2018, 09:25 AM
9-3

05-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Question is does 10-2 with losses to Auburn and Alabama get us in a NY6 bowl?
Absolutely

Plus, Auburn probably won't be in the 10-2 range this year due to their OL losses, though I agree it will be a very tough game for us after Florida

Cary Hudson's little bro
05-01-2018, 09:38 AM
With no injuries to key guys:

8 wins is the floor
10 is the ceiling

With a little luck like Bama and Aubie losing at the right time of the year we could sneak into the playoff. *pipe dream*

Sugar Bowl vs Penn State, Wisky or Ohio State would be badass!

drummerdawg
05-01-2018, 09:38 AM
I have us at 9-3 but it all comes down to Fitz and Shoop. Fitz hasn't played since his injury and we just don't know what we're getting with Shoop. If both do great we'll win 10+ games. But if both don't live up to expectations then we could go 7-5. I think we'll see some flashes of greatness but we'll shit the bed a few times too to go 9-3.

TaleofTwoDogs
05-01-2018, 09:42 AM
The difference between this being a 7-5 team or a 11-1 team has to be

1) WR & Fitz need to click
2) Clean up the mental mistakes (see Wyatt's spring game analysis video)
3) DL really, really needs to compete at an elite level with good support from the backfield
4) Special teams need to be special
5) New staff needs to gel and the team needs to buy into a championship chemistry
6) A lot of '17ing luck

Jack Lambert
05-01-2018, 09:55 AM
I Don't think there is a ceiling. There is a floor and I think it's 8 wins. This new wide opened RPO offense is going to give Defenses trouble. There is a reason Penn State Started to kick ass in the Big 10 and it wasn't because of Franklin. They were very much average in the Big 10 until Coach Jo arrived.

Then our defense is going to be trouble for everyone.

BuckyIsAB****
05-01-2018, 09:55 AM
There isnt a single game on the schedule that we cant win next year. And that includes Bama @ Bama.

All the WRs have to do is be good enough. They dont have to be All SEC. Games are won on the LOS and we are damn good on the OL, and DL.

Bulldog1
05-01-2018, 10:13 AM
10-2. Maybe 11-1. It's not off the table we go 12-0.

msstatelp1
05-01-2018, 10:20 AM
I Don't think there is a ceiling. There is a floor and I think it's 8 wins. This new wide opened RPO offense is going to give Defenses trouble. There is a reason Penn State Started to kick ass in the Big 10 and it wasn't because of Franklin. They were very much average in the Big 10 until Coach Jo arrived.

Agree with Jack on this. JoMo is not a first time HC so he knows what he wants and how he wants to run things. He doesn't seem to be the type to hesitate on pulling someone if they aren't performing to his standards. I expect we will see the best 11 players on the field for a given situation.

Choctaw Dawg
05-01-2018, 10:36 AM
its NY6 or bust this year. I have full confidence in this team reaching that goal.

BrunswickDawg
05-01-2018, 10:37 AM

^ - This. Fitz will be key, but I have the utmost confidence in the guy. He will be 100%; he will be prepared; and he will do what it takes to get us there.

My take: This is our time and we need to go into the season with the confidence that MSU is a legitimate contender for the SEC West, the SEC Championship, and a spot in the CFP. Get this weak excuse stuff out of here. We have the best roster we have ever had. We have the best coaching staff we have ever had. We have players with a big chip on their shoulder via Don Merlot. We have the best big game atmosphere in the SEC. Kansas State? We beat them. LSU? We beat them. Auburn? **** them. We will beat them too. Bama? We are ready for war and have unfinished business from 2014 and 2017.

louisvilledawg
05-01-2018, 10:40 AM

I think we go 9-3. But i hope you're right. Just the MSU Fan in me not getting my hopes up because we've never come through in the clutch.

preachermatt83
05-01-2018, 12:00 PM
9 wins is the absolute floor. I'm expecting 10-2 and if we don't reach it I will be very disappointed

TrapGame
05-01-2018, 12:10 PM
11-1 and JoMo/MSU are the darlings of the CFB world. What Dan squandered in 2014 Joe will use to the fullest for the future of the program.

drummerdawg
05-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Y'all are pretty confident. I think the potential is there for a 10+ win season, but there's still a lot of questions we don't have answers yet.

msbulldog
05-01-2018, 12:31 PM
All of the players I have read their interviews seem to have bought into the new staff. The new staff has the best credentials I have ever seen. The talent on this team will match up with anybody. It is possible for us to go undefeated. HAIL STATE!

TUSK
05-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Floor 7
Ceiling 12

O/U 9.5

I'll guess 9-3/10-2 (for the moment)... if Fitz can be effective chunkin' it long, I like y'all's chances to be formidable...

Also, y'all need to consider how tough both LSU's & AU's schedules are... that'll play into the SECW standings as much as anything...

I seen it dawg
05-01-2018, 12:48 PM
I think 10 is floor and playoff is ceiling. I think we give Auburn new OL fits and we win. Bama is tough of course but i think if we win there it will be this year.

Political Hack
05-01-2018, 01:06 PM
11-1. I think we beat everybody except Saban. We're going to need them to lose the Iron Bowl to go to the SEC championship. I think they'll drop one more along the way early in the season while they're still playing with their QB rotation.

TUSK
05-01-2018, 01:14 PM
11-1. I think we beat everybody except Saban. We're going to need them to lose the Iron Bowl to go to the SEC championship. I think they'll drop one more along the way early in the season while they're still playing with their QB rotation.

You've not seen the schedule, have you?

bostondawg
05-01-2018, 01:25 PM

I don't think there will be much of a rotation...

Jack Lambert
05-01-2018, 01:26 PM

If we could only switch them on the schedule with Florida as to when we played them I would really like our chances. Timing is everything with Bama.

TUSK
05-01-2018, 01:27 PM
I don't think there will be much of a rotation...

It won't matter in a lot of games... Mac Jones could win ~9+ with that slate.

bostondawg
05-01-2018, 01:30 PM
It won't matter in a lot of games... Mac Jones could win ~9+ with that slate.

Good point. But I think Tua goes undefeated.

ETA: But I think the only games it will matter will be MSU, Iron Bowl, and maybe LSU (would be a swing game for Mac Jones, I think. LSU usually isn't someone Alabama runs all over. Think you gotta hit some passes in that one.)

Maroonthirteen
05-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Let?s start with the given....We will lose to Alabama.

If Fitz has developed into a more accurate passer, 8-9 wins. If he still can?t hit a receiver more than a few yards down the field, 6-7 wins.

Defense will be salty against the run. Against the pass.... I?m worried.

6-9 wins, bowling again!

CarolinaDawgs
05-01-2018, 01:48 PM

If Fitz has developed into a more accurate passer, 8-9 wins. If he still can?t hit a receiver more than a few yards down the field, 6-7 wins.

6-9 wins, bowling again!

HAHAHA I also love self-depreciating humor. Great joke man. Rep given.

PMDawg
05-01-2018, 02:13 PM
14-1

FordhamRams
05-01-2018, 02:55 PM
In my experience watching his first years at Fordham and Penn State, you should expect to finish off the season incredibly strong and I would not want to face you guys on the back half of the schedule or in your bowl game. It will be remarkable imo. There can be some choppiness in the first few games, so don't be surprised if things aren't completely clicking with K St, Fl and possibly even Auburn. My guess is Fl and Auburn are where you're going to see it start to really kick in, though, and it's where the team will start to get the Moorhead signature confidence that he gets his teams to play with. He's really big on rivalries so I'll be shocked if you guys don't take care of business with FL and Ole Miss.

The two x factors that I see influencing how well you guys get through the first few games until things really start smoking are 1. (bad) he didn't get to work with Fitzgerald live nearly as much as you would have liked in the Spring due to the recovery. The offense is very much about timing and making the right decisions, so the more the QB plays, the better his decision making is. Fitzgerald is a Heisman level talent but I think he'll be drinking from a fire hose in camp; and 2. (good) your D is good enough to win games until the offense starts really clicking.

I will tell you that by the end of the season I'll be shocked if you're not one of the top 4 teams in the country given the talent and coaching. The question is going to be how did you fare in the first half of the season as well as how did you do late v Bama to determine if you make the playoff though.

Anyway, that's my take. Good luck. I'm a big Ms St fan now and hope to get down to Starkville for a game at some point while wearing my Fordham gear!

Liverpooldawg
05-01-2018, 03:01 PM
I have no basis to have expectations. This is a new staff, new offense, new defense, and we still have major questions at WR and in the defensive backfield. I'm going to wait till at least KSU before forming any real expectations.

Lance Harbor
05-01-2018, 03:37 PM
What does AU lose besides the entire OL? They lost a few DL too, correct? LUS's schedule is brutal, but I haven't seen AU.

Floor 7
Ceiling 12

O/U 9.5

I'll guess 9-3/10-2 (for the moment)... if Fitz can be effective chunkin' it long, I like y'all's chances to be formidable...

Also, y'all need to consider how tough both LSU's & AU's schedules are... that'll play into the SECW standings as much as anything...

Jack Lambert
05-01-2018, 03:38 PM
In my experience watching his first years at Fordham and Penn State, you should expect to finish off the season incredibly strong and I would not want to face you guys on the back half of the schedule or in your bowl game. It will be remarkable imo. There can be some choppiness in the first few games, so don't be surprised if things aren't completely clicking with K St, Fl and possibly even Auburn. My guess is Fl and Auburn are where you're going to see it start to really kick in, though, and it's where the team will start to get the Moorhead signature confidence that he gets his teams to play with. He's really big on rivalries so I'll be shocked if you guys don't take care of business with FL and Ole Miss.

The two x factors that I see influencing how well you guys get through the first few games until things really start smoking are 1. (bad) he didn't get to work with Fitzgerald live nearly as much as you would have liked in the Spring due to the recovery. The offense is very much about timing and making the right decisions, so the more the QB plays, the better his decision making is. Fitzgerald is a Heisman level talent but I think he'll be drinking from a fire hose in camp; and 2. (good) your D is good enough to win games until the offense starts really clicking.

I will tell you that by the end of the season I'll be shocked if you're not one of the top 4 teams in the country given the talent and coaching. The question is going to be how did you fare in the first half of the season as well as how did you do late v Bama to determine if you make the playoff though.

Anyway, that's my take. Good luck. I'm a big Ms St fan now and hope to get down to Starkville for a game at some point while wearing my Fordham gear!

I don't know if timing will be a problem. The RPO is not new with these guys. I think the problem is the guy the QB reads off of will be different. I think in Coach Jo offense the QB is reading off the DB's. That's not the case with Mullen's RPO. I heard Coach Jo say something along those lines. I could have it backwards.

Did you play for Coach JO?

05-01-2018, 03:39 PM
To whom? Louisville will be formidable for a half but Bama will beat them 42-14. Then you have Ole Miss and Texas A&M, farrrrrt

05-01-2018, 03:43 PM

I agree, I remember when PSU lost to Pitt early and Franklin was on the hot seat. That's why many people are worried about that game in Manhattan fo sho

The lil ole msu in us rears its head too. I also make an example out of Louisville post-Petrino, when they brought Krags (another alleged offensive genius) to town with a bunch of returning starters including Brian Brohm, and limped to 6-6

MarketingBully
05-01-2018, 03:44 PM

This is a great synopsis and thanks for your input here. I’ve heard that his offense takes a little time to get going but luckily our offense was built out of the spread so there shouldn’t be as big a learning curve as Penn State and Fordham had. I think we go 10-2 and make it to the Sugar Bowl for the first time in our school’s history.

TrapGame
05-01-2018, 03:49 PM
I have no basis to have expectations. This is a new staff, new offense, new defense, and we still have major questions at WR and in the defensive backfield. I'm going to wait till at least KSU before forming any real expectations.

https://media.giphy.com/media/FmijXcVr53g2I/giphy.gif

FordhamRams
05-01-2018, 04:01 PM
I don't know if timing will be a problem. The RPO is not new with these guys. I think the problem is the guy the QB reads off of will be different. I think in Coach Jo offense the QB is reading off the DB's. That's not the case with Mullen's RPO. I heard Coach Jo say something along those lines. I could have it backwards.

Did you play for Coach JO?

Good point you guys are making about the transition from one RPO to another not being as difficult as the system changes at both Fordham and PSU.

I played at Fordham just a little bit before Joe did but got to know him well from doing work with the Gridiron Club. I've always said that he's the best coach I've ever been around. Amazingly, though, he's an even better person. Just a great, great guy.

DawgFromOxford
05-01-2018, 04:10 PM

Somebody hook this man up with some tickets.

Todd4State
05-01-2018, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the insight and I am also a Fordham Rams fan now too.

Bothrops
05-01-2018, 04:29 PM
The Florida game worries me. On paper it doesn't look good for them, but Dan is gonna be ready, and it will be their best effort of the season. Mark it down.

Todd4State
05-01-2018, 04:38 PM
Stephen F Austin- I'm hoping to see at least 56 and a shutout to no more than 10 points allowed.

K-State- It's a trap game but since we know it's a trap game I'm not sure that it really is. Vanderbilt beat them last year and if I remember correctly a fairly bad Auburn team beat them in Manhatten. I'm expecting a win with some blemishes like USM 2015.

Louisiana Lafayette- Hud should help here and I think we blow them out.

Kentucky- If there's one thing Dan did do it was beat Kentucky. Hopefully the "we don't lose to Kentucky" mantra continues.

Florida- I know this isn't popular but I think they have a better chance of beating us than many on this board think. I think they're pretty talented. But I also think that with it being in Starkville and the emotion we win when Dan attempts a QB draw on 4th and 9 in the last minute of the game and fails.

Auburn- I think we beat them last year if the game was in Starkville. I'm expecting this to be a battle that could go either way. I'll call it a toss up for now but I like the fact that it's in Starkville. If we lose to Florida it's going to be hard for us to win this one.

At LSU- I guess this will be a night game and that's always tough even though LSU has issues. I could see this one playing out like Auburn 2015. Unless LSU spirals out of control by this point which appears very possible.

Texas A&M- Depends on how quickly they can transition from an Air Raid to a pro-style/spread offense. I like our odds in Starkville.

La Tech- I think we blow them out. Last year was actually closer than the score indicated and we beat them by 35 even though they got off to a quick start. Fitz threw a pick that they took down to the one and the officials pretty much gifted them their last TD. That said- I always respect Tech because I had seen us beat every team in the SEC before I saw us beat La Tech in person.

Alabama- Here's the thing about this game. If Alabama is undefeated or has a chance at a National Title which they probably will this game is going to be like a wrestling match. The outcome will be pre-determined. The SEC will not allow us to beat them if a Championship is on the line. It would have to play out like 1980 did- it would take a miracle. 1980 was the last team we beat an Alabama team where a championship was on the line. If they have a couple of losses- we have a chance. If not Sankey is going to hit the Buffalo Wild Wings button at the SEC headquarters and allow holds, pass interference while we get called for illegal equipment on the sideline. So, I'll call it a loss because I expect Alabama to be undefeated.

Arkansas- We bounce back and win this game. I think they're going to have an even more dramatic change in systems than A&M and are in worse shape than A&M.

Ole Miss- Payback is a bitch and they're going to have to pay the pauper.

I think we end up in a NY6 bowl.

fishwater99
05-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Win the Damn Egg Bowl and go 9-3.

TrapGame
05-01-2018, 05:16 PM
The Florida game worries me. On paper it doesn't look good for them, but Dan is gonna be ready, and it will be their best effort of the season. Mark it down.

Will he though? Hell, we thought the same thing about some Egg Bowls and LSU games. Dan has a tendency to tuck his tail between his legs when he's getting out coached. I'm sure Dan has a built in excuse already for a loss: "You see that Mississippi State team that beat us tonight? I built that team and I'm going to build a better one here at Florida! Y'all have a lot to look forward to."

TaleofTwoDogs
05-01-2018, 05:44 PM
Somebody hook this man up with some tickets.

And this man should never have to buy a drink when in StarkVegas!

preachermatt83
05-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Good point you guys are making about the transition from one RPO to another not being as difficult as the system changes at both Fordham and PSU.

I played at Fordham just a little bit before Joe did but got to know him well from doing work with the Gridiron Club. I've always said that he's the best coach I've ever been around. Amazingly, though, he's an even better person. Just a great, great guy.

Seriously man, post more. You are very knowledgeable and have more insight into joemo than we do.

JoseBrown
05-01-2018, 06:17 PM
We've seen our defense not quite as talented as this one, our OL and RB's and QB's(at the least running the ball) not as talented as these, and we're worried about beating Mullen and winning 9 games? Please. Every team has questions right now, even Bama, but they don't chalk up sure losses because of them.

We could gameplan like Relf at Florida whatever year that was, and win 9 games this year. I'm going with the genius of JoMo, the talent of our team, and whatever questions with Shoop to 10-12 wins. Personally, I'm not chalking up a loss. We may get beat once or twice, but I gotta feeling our new head coach will not get scared into a loss this year like what's his name has before...

Speaking of the Florida game in particular, is there any reason not to think their head coach doesn't coach scared? We steamrollin them...

BuckyIsAB****
05-01-2018, 07:54 PM

6-9 wins, bowling again!

We dont deserve no better than living with the shoes

BuckyIsAB****
05-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Florida is going to get their shit pushed in in Starkville. Will be a big reality check for them and Danny Two Gloves.

Times have changed

Political Hack
05-01-2018, 08:18 PM
You've not seen the schedule, have you?

It's weak but I see a slump game early with a young QB, maybe even against a putrid Mizu during a day game for homecoming (or LSU).

Bulldog1
05-01-2018, 08:21 PM
It's weak but I see a slump game early with a young QB, maybe even against a putrid Mizu during a day game for homecoming (or LSU).

Missouri could be interesting. Locke is a great QB, but he'll definitely be put to the test of all tests against Bama defense.

War Machine Dawg
05-01-2018, 08:32 PM
The floor should be 9. If we win less, we've underachieved. Assuming Shoop is competent as a DC.

Turfdawg67
05-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Stephen F Austin- I'm hoping to see at least 56 and a shutout to no more than 10 points allowed.

K-State- It's a trap game but since we know it's a trap game I'm not sure that it really is. Vanderbilt beat them last year and if I remember correctly a fairly bad Auburn team beat them in Manhatten. I'm expecting a win with some blemishes like USM 2015.

Louisiana Lafayette- Hud should help here and I think we blow them out.

Kentucky- If there's one thing Dan did do it was beat Kentucky. Hopefully the "we don't lose to Kentucky" mantra continues.

Florida- I know this isn't popular but I think they have a better chance of beating us than many on this board think. I think they're pretty talented. But I also think that with it being in Starkville and the emotion we win when Dan attempts a QB draw on 4th and 9 in the last minute of the game and fails.

Auburn- I think we beat them last year if the game was in Starkville. I'm expecting this to be a battle that could go either way. I'll call it a toss up for now but I like the fact that it's in Starkville. If we lose to Florida it's going to be hard for us to win this one.

At LSU- I guess this will be a night game and that's always tough even though LSU has issues. I could see this one playing out like Auburn 2015. Unless LSU spirals out of control by this point which appears very possible.

Texas A&M- Depends on how quickly they can transition from an Air Raid to a pro-style/spread offense. I like our odds in Starkville.

La Tech- I think we blow them out. Last year was actually closer than the score indicated and we beat them by 35 even though they got off to a quick start. Fitz threw a pick that they took down to the one and the officials pretty much gifted them their last TD. That said- I always respect Tech because I had seen us beat every team in the SEC before I saw us beat La Tech in person.

Alabama- Here's the thing about this game. If Alabama is undefeated or has a chance at a National Title
which they probably will this game is going to be like a wrestling match. The outcome will be pre-determined. The SEC will not allow us to beat them if a Championship is on the line. It would have to play out like 1980 did- it would take a miracle. 1980 was the last team we beat an Alabama team where a championship was on the line. If they have a couple of losses- we have a chance. If not Sankey is going to hit the Buffalo Wild Wings button at the SEC headquarters and allow holds, pass interference while we get called for illegal equipment on the sideline. So, I'll call it a loss because I expect Alabama to be undefeated.

Arkansas- We bounce back and win this game. I think they're going to have an even more dramatic change in systems than A&M and are in worse shape than A&M.

Ole Miss- Payback is a bitch and they're going to have to pay the pauper.

I think we end up in a NY6 bowl.

Really like your assessment. I would add that there may be some toss up games, but a 10 win season is in our grasps. Possible losses- Bama (duh), LSU, Auburn and even OM worry me... but if win 2 or 3 of those, we'll be in a NY6 bowl for sure.

With UF, I'd say... Dan obviously chokes in big games and I hope and pray it comes down to a 4th and long and DM runs a read option and Simmons and Sweat eat it up! Oh boy would that be great!

Bulldog1
05-01-2018, 08:58 PM
I haven't decided on whether I want Florida to be 4-0 or 0-4 when we play them. I kind of want 4-0 so we can bear them while they're undefeated and most likely top 25, but I also want Mullen to lose every game ever!

Jack Lambert
05-01-2018, 09:24 PM
I haven't decided on whether I want Florida to be 4-0 or 0-4 when we play them. I kind of want 4-0 so we can bear them while they're undefeated and most likely top 25, but I also want Mullen to lose every game ever!

If they are 0-4 it will be a 11:00 SEC network game if they are 4-0 it will be a prime TV game with possibly Game Day if we are 4-0.

TUSK
05-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Missouri could be interesting. Locke is a great QB, but he'll definitely be put to the test of all tests against Bama defense.

It could be a 75-40 type game.

Bulldog1
05-01-2018, 09:53 PM

Haha.

tcdog70
05-01-2018, 10:02 PM
I think 10 is floor and playoff is ceiling. I think we give Auburn new OL fits and we win. Bama is tough of course but i think if we win there it will be this year.

Exactly, my thoughts also. hell , if we are ever going to win them all it is this year.

BuckyIsAB****
05-01-2018, 11:13 PM

I dont get it

TUSK
05-02-2018, 12:27 AM
I dont get it

If (and it's a HUGE "if") Bammer doesn't have their top 7 DBs figured out by the Mizzou game (10/13), I could see Lock tossing a few TDs... Plus they'll get some late, trash points after the game is effectively over in the 3rd....

Bammer's O will be juggernautish in '18, IMO...

msbulldog
05-02-2018, 06:38 AM

Great, welcome to our family! Thanks for the analysis. Please come visit us, I promise you a grand time.

Duckdog
05-02-2018, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the great input Coach Joe!!!

Political Hack
05-02-2018, 12:07 PM

Damn. Now I have to like Fordham too.

FordhamRams
05-02-2018, 03:44 PM
Damn. Now I have to like Fordham too.
ha. Sorry for adding to your list.

Appreciate the warm welcome from the entire crew.

What's interesting at Fordham this year is that we replaced Breiner with the OC from Yale, Joe Conlin. Like Coach M, he grew up in western PA and he actually played for Moorhead while he was playing at Pitt and Joe was a grad ass't there. He's also known as a high character, religious, family man and known for his prolific offense (even if it's not RPO). Anyway, I bring it up because it doesn't take much to figure out what kind of impact Coach Moorhead had on things at Fordham when you see what the search committee was going for with this hire. I'm not expecting Moorhead-like results but to say Coach M is revered by everyone from the President (Father McShane) on down would be an understatement imo.

biggun
05-02-2018, 04:23 PM

Our secondary will determine if we are contenders or pretenders. In our losses last season our secondary was torched, beaten deep often with numerous coverage busts. Our CB?s look average to below average but our safeties look to be above average to pretty good.

Can we finally look like we know what we are doing with our pass defense???? We shall see

BuckyIsAB****
05-02-2018, 09:21 PM
If (and it's a HUGE "if") Bammer doesn't have their top 7 DBs figured out by the Mizzou game (10/13), I could see Lock tossing a few TDs... Plus they'll get some late, trash points after the game is effectively over in the 3rd....

Bammer's O will be juggernautish in '18, IMO...

Bama doesnt have much of a chance to be beaten till they play LSU and State back to back.

And Auburn always has a shot against yall bc they just do

TUSK
05-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Bama doesnt have much of a chance to be beaten till they play LSU and State back to back.

And Auburn always has a shot against yall bc they just do

I see it EXACTLY the same as you do, Buddy.

State's in that enviable trap game position, yet again...

BuckyIsAB****
05-02-2018, 10:12 PM
I see it EXACTLY the same as you do, Buddy.

State's in that enviable trap game position, yet again...

If we stay healthy and Bob Shoop isnt a dumbass it will be a throwdown in TTown.

As much as I hate to say it right now though my heart says we win but my head says yall do bc 1. We've came so close so many times but hardly ever get it done and 2. If yall are unbeaten the SEC will not allow yall to lose. And yall have earned that right

TUSK
05-02-2018, 10:19 PM
If we stay healthy and Bob Shoop isnt a dumbass it will be a throwdown in TTown.

As much as I hate to say it right now though my heart says we win but my head says yall do bc 1. We've came so close so many times but hardly ever get it done and 2. If yall are unbeaten the SEC will not allow yall to lose. And yall have earned that right

I'm not as certain as you regarding REC influence with the SEC Officials (although I do joke about it)... I think y'all's 1st lines are as legitimate as I've ever seen... If you have NFL level depth, as well, it will be a WAR, no doubt...

I might actually go to this un....

BuckyIsAB****
05-02-2018, 10:22 PM
I'm not as certain as you regarding REC influence with the SEC Officials (although I do joke about it)... I think y'all's 1st lines are as legitimate as I've ever seen... If you have NFL level depth, as well, it will be a WAR, no doubt...

I might actually go to this un....

I've just seen too many ghost holding and PI calls, and 3-7 point losses against yall to say it will be any different.

The good thing is that if we do lose to yall, but win the rest we have a shot at the playoff. Only way I see us left out is if UGA only has 1 loss to yall as well in ATL.

Could get crazy and get 3 SEC teams in at that point. I got a half chub just thinking about that

TUSK
05-02-2018, 10:32 PM
I've just seen too many ghost holding and PI calls, and 3-7 point losses against yall to say it will be any different.

The good thing is that if we do lose to yall, but win the rest we have a shot at the playoff. Only way I see us left out is if UGA only has 1 loss to yall as well in ATL.

Could get crazy and get 3 SEC teams in at that point. I got a half chub just thinking about that

Even better... Y'all beat Bammer in TTown on a blown call, run the table, smoke UGA in Hotlanta and get the #1 CFP seed vs #4 Bammer....

Epic!

BuckyIsAB****
05-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Even better... Y'all beat Bammer in TTown on a blown call, run the table, smoke UGA in Hotlanta and get the #1 CFP seed vs #4 Bammer....

Epic!

Fine with me. I could see it working out the other way as well.

Sign me up. Danny Kanell and Colin Cowherd should be made to watch the game with SEC fans if that happens

TUSK
05-02-2018, 10:38 PM
Fine with me. I could see it working out the other way as well.

Sign me up. Danny Kanell and Colin Cowherd should be made to watch the game with SEC fans if that happens

you just ruined a great thread************

DK wants to be Finebaum soooo bad.... CC is a bit repentant....

BuckyIsAB****
05-02-2018, 10:45 PM
you just ruined a great thread************

DK wants to be Finebaum soooo bad.... CC is a bit repentant....

I dont like either of them. Cowherd knows as much about college football as I do college algebra. And I failed that more times than I care to admit

TUSK
05-02-2018, 10:51 PM
I dont like either of them. Cowherd knows as much about college football as I do college algebra. And I failed that more times than I care to admit

I agree with that, however, CC is a rocket surgeon next to that meathead Kannell... the transparency, I find insulting from a "journalist"....

I know, I know.... news is entertainment, now.......

TUSK
05-02-2018, 10:54 PM

Back to this, Bucky....

How do you see Bammer and MSU matching up this year? Are you familiar with the goings on in TTown?

Todd4State
05-03-2018, 12:59 AM

Epic!

I know this will never happen but....

MSU vs. Alabama for the National Title. THAT would be EPIC.

See you in San Francisco TUSK!

TUSK
05-03-2018, 01:02 AM
I know this will never happen but....

MSU vs. Alabama for the National Title. THAT would be EPIC.

See you in San Francisco TUSK!

I dunno, dude... that's an awfully long trip.... and I don't think I need another set of Faux China Bammer NC Dinnerware from The WalMart!****

BuckyIsAB****
05-03-2018, 02:17 AM
Back to this, Bucky....

How do you see Bammer and MSU matching up this year? Are you familiar with the goings on in TTown?

I know that yall lost a lot, esp on the DL but yall have proven year after year to be able to replace it. I think yall will be a lot like yall have been, front 7 is nasty and if you are going to lose yall will either A. Have a terrible luck fluke game like OM in 2015 or B. Someone will just make plays vs your secondary and find a way.

Biggest difference for Bama this year is the schedule (easiest yall have had under Saban) and I think this could be the best offense yall have had under Saban. Depending on Locksley and if Tua is legit. Which I think hes probably pretty good but its too early for Heisman talk even if he did play his ass off for part of one game. Remember Cardale Jones did that too. Bama has won a lot being just good enough on offense at times. That has the potential to change this year. Bringing back some OL, Tua, and all the RBs except Bo Scarbourough is nasty. Jerry Jeudy will be the next big WR name yall have. One of the best route runners I've seen.

If it sounds like I know a lot its bc (I dont) but I have two close friends that are Bammers so I hear it all the time

sandwolf
05-03-2018, 11:47 PM

Kansas State is the second game of the year and it is sandwiched between SFA and ULL......so I don't think that qualifies as a trap game.

I could see it playing out similar to 2015 USM though, just because the new offense will be going up against a real defense for the first time in a hostile environment.....but I expect our defense to completely shut them down until the offense works out their kinks.

Todd4State
05-04-2018, 12:52 AM
Kansas State is the second game of the year and it is sandwiched between SFA and ULL......so I don't think that qualifies as a trap game.

I could see it playing out similar to 2015 USM though, just because the new offense will be going up against a real defense for the first time in a hostile environment.....but I expect our defense to completely shut them down until the offense works out their kinks.

I absolutely agree. It's also at the same time an opportunity for our team to impress people outside of Mississippi. Sort of like when we beat Texas in the second game of Jackie's tenure.

TrapGame
05-04-2018, 09:47 AM

K State may be one of those games where we look amazing on offense in the second half after a very dull first half. Working out kinks and Joe making half time adjustments.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-04-2018, 10:40 AM
It's worth noting that KState returns almost everything on O, and almost nothing on D. They also replace both coordinators so they won't be polished either. I think our OL dominates ad we don't struggle to gain yards. Points are hard to predict though because the red zone is always a different animal. But I really don't see a mediocre B12 defense that looses all the backups at DE, all the starters at DT, and a couple LBs being able to control the LOS. I also expect our DL to give their RFr QB a time B12 QBs aren't used to seeing.

If we can keep from giving up big plays, I really think this will be a pretty commanding win. We've got more talent on both lines, more experience ,and have played better against better competition than they have. Offense not being 100% set won't matter, as we can just run it down their throats. Defense shouldn't have many blown assignments, as a pretty vanilla look up front should still get consistent pressure. KState has coordinator turnover too. I've tried but aside from home field advantage and possible jet lag, I cant find a reason to worry. Maybe their WRs expose our CB problems? I just can't make myself view this game much more seriously than I do Kentucky. Lets not forget they lost to Vandy last year, and they won't be any better this year

BuckyIsAB****
05-04-2018, 10:52 AM
K State losing to Vandy last year has nothing to do with 2018.

They are well coached and going to play hard, they always play above their heads vs more talented teams seems like.

That game wont be easy but unless we help them, we will win. K State is going to be sound and wait on you to make a mistake.

TUSK
05-04-2018, 11:39 AM
If y'all are gonna compete for the SECW, MSU should smash KSU (~3 scores) and send a message... they are literally devoid of talent...

They'd rank around 23rd of the 24 SEC/Big12 teams in terms of composite talent (KU really blows)...

05-04-2018, 12:54 PM
If y'all are gonna compete for the SECW, MSU should smash KSU (~3 scores) and send a message... they are literally devoid of talent...

They'd rank around 23rd of the 24 SEC/Big12 teams in terms of composite talent (KU really blows)...

By now, if you don't realize that Bill Snyder knows more about talent than the recruiting sites do, I don't know what to tell you

They also return a bunch of starters

That is going to be a tough game to win

TUSK
05-04-2018, 01:01 PM
By now, if you don't realize that Bill Snyder knows more about talent than the recruiting sites do, I don't know what to tell you

They also return a bunch of starters

That is going to be a tough game to win

Oh, I totally believe that Snyder knows talent when he sees it... He just doesn't have very much, comparably speaking.