PDA

View Full Version : First pitch ceremony last Saturday night

wmccgc
05-01-2018, 07:38 AM
The guy who threw out the first pitch was Boswell Kennard, Everett's (the team bus driver's) dad. He is turning100 years old. Lifelong Bulldog.

Following is a first-person account from my 92 year old dad about what happened. I think you may enjoy reading how involved our AD and university is with this kind of event. Pretty cool stuff:

We didn't find a parking place near the field so had to walk about 1/2 mile which was kinda hard but we persevered. We were early but they had everything going and gave us some seats. Boswell was down on ;the field and they took him around to home plate in a cart and then walked him our toward the mound where he tried to throw the ball. Not very good throw but the catcher could get it and then they brought him back to where we were. They brought him up and sat him in the middle of the place with us on either side of him. That was where they wanted us to sit so we could keep him company which worked out well. The Kennards LFL space was about 5 folding chairs wide and had 4 levels. They had cookers on the concourse above the space and did their serving of food on the lower one. All in all it seems to work our well and is not so cluttered with odd vehicles like it was so I think that people have gotten used to it and it will work out OK even if it is a little restrained from what the old deal was. I was able to see well enough to tell what the Ref calls were (strikes and balls). I had to lean forward to see the scoreboard to confirm what I thought I saw. This is not any difference what it was before as far as seeing what was going on. After one of the innings they had all of us stand up and cheer so they could put us on the jumbotron. I don't know if that was put out on the video of the game but if it was you can see your aged mom and dad in the middle of the crowd standing on each side of Boswell who remained seated. That was after the 4th or 5th inning.

They had given Boswell a new MSU cap to wear out on the field and about the time the game started a young man from Cohen's office came and gave him a baseball game white shirt to wear which he did. Dr Keenun showed up to wish Boswell well and we of course shook hands with him too. Cohen showed up around the 2nd inning and stayed as long as we were there. The lady that was our women's basketball coach also came by to visit. Numerous other people came to wish Boswell well,

Around the 4th inning they broke out the food and we all had a plate of as many ribs as you wanted, potato salad, baked beans, slaw etc. so we were well fed.

All in all it was a great experience and we won the game which was the icing on the cake. Speaking of cake they had one for Boswell and the crowd as well as ice cream.

msbulldog
05-01-2018, 12:44 PM
Outstanding! Thank you so much for posting that!