PDA

View Full Version : Jason Whitten a No Show at Cowboys.......

Pit Bull
05-01-2018, 03:29 AM
....first voluntary practice. And he has never missed any practice in 15 years as a pro. Not a good sign for Dak Prescott. No Dez and now looking like no Witten. I was expecting Jason to have a big year this year since Dez was jettisoned. Here's the story.......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jason-witten-officially-was-a-no-show-to-cowboys’-voluntary-workout/ar-AAwzz54?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

msbulldog
05-01-2018, 06:04 AM
They were saying on the radio yesterday Whitten was joining the Monday night team.

BogeyGolfer
05-01-2018, 06:14 AM
....first voluntary practice. And he has never missed any practice in 15 years as a pro. Not a good sign for Dak Prescott. No Dez and now looking like no Witten. I was expecting Jason to have a big year this year since Dez was jettisoned. Here's the story.......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jason-witten-officially-was-a-no-show-to-cowboys?-voluntary-workout/ar-AAwzz54?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

I think it is a good sign for Dak, Whitten has been a great pro but my god he is slow now and basically catches the ball and sits down. He is not a downfield threat at all...I do not know if most people are just now watching the NFL since Dak is playing but the days of needing an elite WR to win games past by 10 years ago...By the way, Dez was not an elite wr and Dallas is and will always be a run first team. They will be a lot better with no Dez and Whitten...

MaroonFlounder
05-01-2018, 06:14 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jason-witten-officially-was-a-no-show-to-cowboys’-voluntary-workout/ar-AAwzz54?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

This is not news. Written announced his retirement after day 1 of the draft.

Jack Lambert
05-01-2018, 08:35 AM
Dak said in his interview at the Spring Game that Dallas is changing offense to a Dak friendly offense. I am pretty sure Jerry wound't let a coach make a mistake. I just don't worry about it.

fishwater99
05-01-2018, 08:38 AM

Do you live under a rock??.. he is retiring...

Cooterpoot
05-01-2018, 08:41 AM
I think it is a good sign for Dak, Whitten has been a great pro but my god he is slow now and basically catches the ball and sits down. He is not a downfield threat at all...I do not know if most people are just now watching the NFL since Dak is playing but the days of needing an elite WR to win games past by 10 years ago...By the way, Dez was not an elite wr and Dallas is and will always be a run first team. They will be a lot better with no Dez and Whitten...

Witten was freaking 7th in catches for TEs last year and top 10 in TDs. He's probably the best blocking TE in history and most of the season last year he had to stay in to help block on the left side of the line because Dak was getting killed otherwise. No, he's not going to break long runs/plays, but he's still a top 10 TE in the NFL.
It will absolutely hurt. They keep waiting on their practice squad guy to step up and he never has. They also lost Hanna. Dallas will struggle on offense. They needed downfield guys to compliment the guys on the team now and they refused to go get someone (as usual). Good luck running it when you can't throw it.

Bully13
05-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Witten was freaking 7th in catches for TEs last year and top 10 in TDs. He's probably the best blocking TE in history and most of the season last year he had to stay in to help block on the left side of the line because Dak was getting killed otherwise. No, he's not going to break long runs/plays, but he's still a top 10 TE in the NFL.
It will absolutely hurt. They keep waiting on their practice squad guy to step up and he never has. They also lost Hanna. Dallas will struggle on offense. They needed downfield guys to compliment the guys on the team now and they refused to go get someone (as usual). Good luck running it when you can't throw it.

This. Jerry and Jason discussed his retirement prior to the draft which is why they drafted that TE. People hating on Whitten don't know what the 17 they are talking about.

bulldawg28
05-01-2018, 11:34 AM

Was 7th is the key. He brings nothing now to the athletic table. He's had a great career and deserves to leave. However, Rico Gathers was killing it before being injured. He'll now get to play along with the TE drafted by Stanford. They drafted two WR 's one was a Biletnikoff award finalist this year and the other had over 2,000 yards and 18 TDs in 2 seasons and was on the watch list for the award. They improved athletically.

Pit Bull
05-01-2018, 10:00 PM

The TE position is not supposed to be a downfield threat. They usually are good for the short passing game and to keep the chains moving. Then block on most running plays. A TE should be about the size and strength of an offensive lineman with decent hands. There are a few freaks that can go deep at times.....like Gronkowski and the TE that came out of Ole Miss a year or so ago. Cant remember his name, but he absolutely killed us and is now big time in the NFL. There are a few more, but most are like Witten. Witten could probably play an O-Line position if need be.

The Federalist Engineer
05-02-2018, 10:00 AM
He's busy selling Energy drinks, gotta hustle to dominate the Advocare pyramid

JoseBrown
05-02-2018, 11:32 AM
He's busy selling Energy drinks, gotta hustle to dominate the Advocare pyramid

You mean like that infamous coffee company...

It may take a couple years, but if they're committed to the "Dak friendly" offense, it might get interesting. So far, I like their moves.

Pit Bull
05-03-2018, 05:22 AM
Do you live under a rock??.. he is retiring...

He was thinking about retiring. Wasn't official. Even the dude who drove up and saw his empty parking space didn't know until he saw Witten's space was empty.....and he works for the Cowboys. So I guess he lives under a rock too. Anybody who said they knew Witten was retiring was just guessing.