PDA

View Full Version : Nine Years Ago

TheRef
04-30-2018, 10:48 PM
The player known as Renardo Sidney signed his Letter of Intent with Mississippi State...and remember. He was a McDonald's All-American and the #2 PF in the country.

We all remember what happened afterwards....the beginning of the end.

msbulldog
05-01-2018, 06:14 AM
Yep, we should have booted him after the fight in Hawaii.

Rick Danko
05-01-2018, 07:46 AM
I think we probably had a little too much ?invested? in him to boot him at that time or any other time

Choctaw Dawg
05-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Yeah, definitely one of the worst decisions we've ever made. I don't if it's the worst decision regarding athletics ever made by the university, but its up there. Hindsight is always 20/20 though

Lance Harbor
05-01-2018, 08:17 AM
He might as well have been signing Stansbury's walking papers.

The player known as Renardo Sidney signed his Letter of Intent with Mississippi State...and remember. He was a McDonald's All-American and the #2 PF in the country.

Liverpooldawg
05-01-2018, 08:28 AM
Yep, we should have booted him after the fight in Hawaii.

The right player was booted after that. Sid had FAR from the worst attitude on that team. He evidently was lazy, but not nearly as toxic as legend, then and now, has it.

MSUDAWGFAN
05-01-2018, 08:31 AM

We had to sign him. With the kind of talent he had, how bad would it have been if he had an even average work ethic and we DIDN'T sign him? He would have been beating us for at least one year then gone pro, or he would have been beating us for several years. That is, if he had signed elsewhere in the SEC. The guy had amazing talent. He just had the opposite work ethic. Couldn't get in shape to run the court but a few times, and couldn't get back on defense. If he could have just gotten in shape, he would be a millionaire many times over by now. From a talent perspective alone, he was as talented as anybody we have had... maybe ever.

But as another poster said, he may as well have been signing Stansbury's walking papers.

tcdog70
05-01-2018, 10:46 AM
everyone wanted Stan to get to the next level. By signing RS he was rolling the dice to get to at least the sweet 16. It didn't work. the ball players voted on who to throw of the team it was BAILEY. The Sad thing is that Stans last team would have beaten the brakes off of any team we have had since. Maybe this year is a toss up.

bostondawg
05-01-2018, 06:14 PM
everyone wanted Stan to get to the next level. By signing RS he was rolling the dice to get to at least the sweet 16. It didn't work. the ball players voted on who to throw of the team it was BAILEY. The Sad thing is that Stans last team would have beaten the brakes off of any team we have had since. Maybe this year is a toss up.

This is an excellent point. We have to remember that it was us (the fans) putting immense pressure on Stans to recruit better. Well fellas, sometimes this is what happens.

yjnkdawg
05-01-2018, 07:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1fFLqvYtmQ

Sad what happened to Sidney, with all that potential.

tcdog70
05-01-2018, 09:57 PM
He could loaf and score a double double. He tore the Rebels a new ass one night.

Pit Bull
05-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Yes, I contended forever that Sidney was Stan's downfall. He had a decision to make and made the wrong one by kicking Bailey off the team. Bailey at least worked hard in practice and hustled in games. Sidney loafed and play the old style girl's basketball.....half court on offense. Granted Sidney had incredible skill for a 6'11" player (in his prime....could have played point guard).....but now the tallest and fattest chicken fry cook in history.

msudawglb
05-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Yeah, definitely one of the worst decisions we've ever made. I don't if it's the worst decision regarding athletics ever made by the university, but its up there. Hindsight is always 20/20 though

No, the worst was not paying Cam enough.

BayouDawg
05-02-2018, 06:04 AM
Well stans allowed Sidney to to be lazy and not work out. That?s on rick for rewarding him with playing time for his poor work ethic.

msu15
05-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Well stans allowed Sidney to to be lazy and not work out. That?s on rick for rewarding him with playing time for his poor work ethic.

Exactly, and not holding him accountable to a strict nutrition plan. I was a student at that time and I saw Sid come in to this local burger place for lunch one day(can't remember the name anymore, but it was on the right hand side right before you veered left a little bit to get on the stretch that Walmart is on). He got this massive Philly cheesesteak that took up the whole to-go box with fries and a soda. This was the same day that we got upset by Akron Stan's last year.

thf24
05-02-2018, 08:03 AM
Sidney was a symptom, not the problem. The real problem was that Stansbury had lost accountability and discipline among the team. Even the guys who were close to Stansbury know it, even if they won't come out and say it. I'll agree with Ref that Sidney marked "the beginning of the end," but only because he made the issues visible and thereby possibly accelerated the collapse a little. It was imminent with or without him.

Liverpooldawg
05-02-2018, 08:09 AM
Yes, I contended forever that Sidney was Stan's downfall. He had a decision to make and made the wrong one by kicking Bailey off the team. Bailey at least worked hard in practice and hustled in games. Sidney loafed and play the old style girl's basketball.....half court on offense. Granted Sidney had incredible skill for a 6'11" player (in his prime....could have played point guard).....but now the tallest and fattest chicken fry cook in history.

Nope, right decision. Sid wasn't Stans' downfall. He just gets the credit.

TStationDawg
05-02-2018, 08:19 AM
He might as well have been signing Stansbury's walking papers.

He did. Stans knew it too. But like Danko said, he was past the point of no return. A friend of my family made a trip with the team to NY that year, and he was disgusted with Sidney. He talked to Rick about it and Rick said point blank "That kid is going to be the end of me".

BeastMan
05-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Sidney was a symptom, not the problem. The real problem was that Stansbury had lost accountability and discipline among the team. Even the guys who were close to Stansbury know it, even if they won't come out and say it. I'll agree with Ref that Sidney marked "the beginning of the end," but only because he made the issues visible and thereby possibly accelerated the collapse a little. It was imminent with or without him.

Great post.

The stories at the end involving Sidney, Bost, and Moultrie were incredible. It was a total 3-ring circus

Bulldog1
05-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Great post.

The stories at the end involving Sidney, Bost, and Moultrie were incredible. It was a total 3-ring circus

Yep.

tcdog70
05-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Great post.

it is sad because those 3 had awesome talent. When they were right we were hard to beat. Throw in Hood and we could beat some folks.

thf24
05-02-2018, 03:41 PM
it is sad because those 3 had awesome talent. When they were right we were hard to beat. Throw in Hood and we could beat some folks.

Agreed. Sidney especially; if you could stand to pay attention between all the laziness and apathy you could see distinct flashes of a generational talent. If we could go back and give him the desire to play basketball and be great, I firmly believe we'd be seeing Magic Johnson 2.0 in the NBA right now.