PDA

View Full Version : Deshea Townsend...

maroonmania
10-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm wondering this past Saturday night if we didn't see some growing pains not only from a young, inexperienced secondary but also a young, inexperienced college DB coach. Townsend hasn't even been a coach that many years and has never been a coach in college until this year. He has certainly never coached young college DBs to have to go up against the kind of skill the LSU WRs and QB have. Hopefully Townsend will come out of that game a better coach along with our young DBs growing up a little as well.

bulldawg28
10-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Townsend isn't the problem talent is. He was coaching DB's in the NFL (Arizona) before he can to us.

maroonmania
10-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Townsend isn't the problem talent is. He was coaching DB's in the NFL (Arizona) before he can to us.

Yea, he was an "assistant DB coach". I don't even believe he was the main secondary coach in Arizona. Not saying our primary issue isn't talent and experience with personnel just saying we don't have much experience in the coaching area either.

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Yea, he was an "assistant DB coach". I don't even believe he was the main secondary coach in Arizona. Not saying our primary issue isn't talent and experience with personnel just saying we don't have much experience in the coaching area either.

Interesting angle but I can't buy. Deshea definitely knows how to coach CB. His career speaks for itself. He knows the position.

Political Hack
10-07-2013, 05:35 PM
We had them draped pretty well early on. Outside of technique and keeping their heads in the game, there's not a lot he can do. We didn't have a lot of busted coverages or anything. we could get better in zone, but that's as much if not kore of a Collins issue than Townsend.

maroonmania
10-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Interesting angle but I can't buy. Deshea definitely knows how to coach CB. His career speaks for itself. He knows the position.

Is Joe Montana a great QB coach? Jerry Rice a great WR coach? Barry Sanders a great RB coach? I don't know, but just because someone is a great player doesn't automatically make them a great or even good coach. So, to me, his career is not a huge factor in and of itself because pretty much all coaches on the college level know the position whether they were actually elite players themselves or not. And even if he will be a great DB coach he is still very new at it especially on the college level.

engie
10-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Let's keep in mind that Deshea is not our DB coach -- just CBs coach. Half of the responsibility if not more falls on Tony Hughes(the more underperforming half IMO).

Again -- the majority of the "problem" I saw with our corners was in a total distrust of our safeties. We refused to play any underneath -- and they were timid as hell about getting beat deep. That's why there was nothing resembling coverage on the curl routes IMO...

Got to get someone we "trust" at FS. This was a big part of our problem late last year as well -- and the fact that it isn't fixed at this point is concerning...

Todd4State
10-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Is Joe Montana a great QB coach? Jerry Rice a great WR coach? Barry Sanders a great RB coach? I don't know, but just because someone is a great player doesn't automatically make them a great or even good coach. So, to me, his career is not a huge factor in and of itself because pretty much all coaches on the college level know the position whether they were actually elite players themselves or not. And even if he will be a great DB coach he is still very new at it especially on the college level.

I don't know if they can coach, but I would certainly listen to what they had to say.

DanDority
10-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Let's keep in mind that Deshea is not our DB coach -- just CBs coach. Half of the responsibility if not more falls on Tony Hughes(the more underperforming half IMO).

Again -- the majority of the "problem" I saw with our corners was in a total distrust of our safeties. We refused to play any underneath -- and they were timid as hell about getting beat deep. That's why there was nothing resembling coverage on the curl routes IMO...

Got to get someone we "trust" at FS. This was a big part of our problem late last year as well -- and the fact that it isn't fixed at this point is concerning...

Exactly!! Plus we are play some on at FS who needs to be on DAMN crutches, a walker or maybe even a Jazzy.

codeDawg
10-07-2013, 06:14 PM

Talent at S.

hailmari
10-07-2013, 06:18 PM
It's similar to a really smart person with a ton of experience in a certain field not always being a good professor. Sometimes really gifted people just can't relate to lesser talented people. But I think Townsend had to work hard enough in his career (despite being talented himself) that he knows how to relate, put himself in his players' shoes, and coach.

gravedigger
10-07-2013, 06:20 PM
We played the best qb wr combo in the conference Saturday. We've lost a safety for the season. We have someone playing safety that hasn't recovered from an injury a year ago.

I'd say injury attrition, coupled with playing the best passing offense in the conference probably is more to blame than Townsend.

I'd say Townsend will come out of this game better for it as you say, but I'm pretty sure, with the looks of those throws Saturday, there was little that coaching cornerbacks could have helped.

hacker
10-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Come on. Sell.

And it's not "talent" either, it's "inexperience." We have talent in the secondary.

blacklistedbully
10-07-2013, 06:41 PM

Are you seriously contending that a Pro Bowl DB that was an "Assistant DB coach" in the NFL, might not be qualified enough yet to effectively coach our CB's? Dude, "assistant" or not, the man was a DB coach for an NFL team. I can't believe you're even going there.

Schultzy
10-07-2013, 06:47 PM
I checked it out on DVR. Our corners were in good position when their qb threw from within the pocket but their receivers just out jumped us and their timing is perfect between their wr's and qb.

They were only wide open when Mettenberger had a designed roll out which provides too much time to cover those receivers.

When they got it on fourth and two before the half on the long throw they pushed off on Nickoe big time (full arm extension).

Big hit to cause a fumble by Dee Arrington to force them to kick the field goal later on.

Missed field goal killed us momentum wise or it woulda been a great fourth quarter.

WinningIsRelentless
10-07-2013, 07:49 PM
For most of the first half we were in good position just very good receivers made the plays. Also the wide opens were mainly on come back routes and our guys didn't want to get beat deep so I'm ok with that. Safety play could be better on those over the top routes.

maroonmania
10-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Are you seriously contending that a Pro Bowl DB that was an "Assistant DB coach" in the NFL, might not be qualified enough yet to effectively coach our CB's? Dude, "assistant" or not, the man was a DB coach for an NFL team. I can't believe you're even going there.

Good Lord I hate when people act like a coach can't be questioned. I guess because a guy was an All-American player at Bama, coached under the Bear and had a 17 year coaching career in the NFL I was just suppose to not even question whether he would be a successful head coach at MSU.

Jack Lambert
10-07-2013, 08:57 PM
I don't know if they can coach, but I would certainly listen to what they had to say.

I agree! If I had to choose someone to side me in combat I would not pick someone right out of boot camp. If someone was great at a possition he is going to have some very good hints.

slickdawg
10-07-2013, 09:19 PM
When Redmond is on the field and makes WILL ISLAND on Saturday, he will help things out a whole lot. Cox back to Safety full time.

Behrdawg
10-07-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm wondering this past Saturday night if we didn't see some growing pains not only from a young, inexperienced secondary but also a young, inexperienced college DB coach. Townsend hasn't even been a coach that many years and has never been a coach in college until this year. He has certainly never coached young college DBs to have to go up against the kind of skill the LSU WRs and QB have. Hopefully Townsend will come out of that game a better coach along with our young DBs growing up a little as well.

And we also faced the best Wide Receiver duo in the nation. Be easy here...we have a young secondary.

bocfarm
10-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Townsend has done a great job given the core he's been dealt. They are ALOT better than I expected fundamentally. Like folks said, Jiles and others had great coverage at times and still couldn't stop those guys from catching a perfect pass. Not much you can do ab that. Great receivers beat great corners all day every day.

bocfarm
10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
To add , the only cb I've been a little disappointed in is Cox. I'm realizing now that was bc of the expectations set fans, recruiting folks and not coaches.

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 09:42 PM
To add , the only cb I've been a little disappointed in is Cox. I'm realizing now that was bc of the expectations set fans, recruiting folks and not coaches.

I agree. And he was a safety in JUCO apparently, and that transition may have been too big of a step in one year....from JUCO safety to having to go man to man with guys like Landry, ha. If you really think about it, that's a hell of a lot to ask.

Behrdawg
10-07-2013, 09:44 PM
He should go back to safety when Redmond starts playing.

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
He should go back to safety when Redmond starts playing.

No doubt. Would add tons of speed and should provide better coverage due to better over the top help. Nickoe is just too slow and out of position these days

blacklistedbully
10-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Good Lord I hate when people act like a coach can't be questioned. I guess because a guy was an All-American player at Bama, coached under the Bear and had a 17 year coaching career in the NFL I was just suppose to not even question whether he would be a successful head coach at MSU.

Take a deep breath and calm down. I did not say a coach "can't be questioned". Hell, I've joined many here questioning Mullen's decision-making at times. What I took issue with was your contention that because he was "only an assistant coach in the NFL" that he might be too green or inexperienced to be our CB coach. I just think that was not a good point at all. Nothing personal. I've made plenty of posts before that I later realized I was dead wrong on. IMO you're wrong on this one. Had you stated an opinion that you didn't think he was a good coach, I'd disagree, but acknowledge that it's possible to be a bad coach even if you held a position in the NFL. But I think it's way off the mark to suggest he may not be qualified because he was "just an assistant" in the NFL.

maroonmania
10-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Hell, I've joined many here questioning Mullen's decision-making at times. What I took issue with was your contention that because he was "only an assistant coach in the NFL" that he might be too green or inexperienced to be our CB coach.

Don't put words in my mouth, I NEVER said that. I essentially said that Townsend is very young in his coaching career, which he is. He is not that far removed from being a player himself and this is his first year to coach at the collegiate level. I just said he may have had some growing pains last weekend as well as our players coaching against maybe the best set of skill players in college. I NEVER said he shouldn't be our CB coach OR that he was too inexperienced to have the job as our CB coach. Heck, Mullen had plenty of growing pains after becoming our HC in 09 but that doesn't mean I thought he shouldn't have had the job.

blacklistedbully
10-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Don't put words in my mouth, I NEVER said that. I essentially said that Townsend is very young in his coaching career, which he is. He is not that far removed from being a player himself and this is his first year to coach at the collegiate level. I just said he may have had some growing pains last weekend as well as our players coaching against maybe the best set of skill players in college. I NEVER said he shouldn't be our CB coach OR that he was too inexperienced to have the job as our CB coach. Heck, Mullen had plenty of growing pains after becoming our HC in 09 but that doesn't mean I thought he shouldn't have had the job.

"Yea, he was an "assistant DB coach". I don't even believe he was the main secondary coach in Arizona. Not saying our primary issue isn't talent and experience with personnel just saying we don't have much experience in the coaching area either." - This was your reply to the poster who pointed out he was a DB coach in the NFL.

If you are going to make this point to counter, then it suggests you think his role as an "assistant DB coach" is a contributing factor to your implication that his lack of coaching experience is hurting us. Perhaps I over-stated a bit by saying you meant he shouldn't be our CB coach. You didn't say that, so I should have changed that part to just disagreeing with your contention that his "limited experience" was a factor in our struggles.

The main point remains, though. The fact that he was "just an assistant" DB coach in the NFL is not a good point, IMO. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

ChupacabraDawg
10-08-2013, 11:25 AM
I hope to see the same results myself. Hopefully we have a better coach and a better secondary after this past game.

CJDAWG85
10-08-2013, 12:27 PM
This will be a very good secondary in the future. Lots and lots of talent. Really need them to stay healthy.

Barking 13
10-08-2013, 12:34 PM
SMDH....

RougeDawg
10-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Let me say that the reason some professional athletes are elite and remain elite is because they can coach themselves. If you can recognize and coach yourself playing at a high professional level, you damn well can coach a college athlete. That's why the great ones are great and remain great for many years. They can see/feel what they are doing wrong and know how to correct it without a coach telling them. Look at MLB hitters after they take a shitty swing.

I have no doubts he can coach.

ChupacabraDawg
10-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Let me say that the reason some professional athletes are elite and remain elite is because they can coach themselves. If you can recognize and coach yourself playing at a high professional level, you damn well can coach a college athlete. That's why the great ones are great and remain great for many years. They can see/feel what they are doing wrong and know how to correct it without a coach telling them. Look at MLB hitters after they take a shitty swing.

I have no doubts he can coach.

Pretty good point there. I liked him as a hire and I think he, more than most, will be able to make good adjustments going forward. I also think he's a good tool in recruiting so we need to keep him on board.