PDA

View Full Version : My Guess At Who Our Next Baseball Coach Will Be.....

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2018, 11:30 PM
My thoughts begin at the 1:20 mark of this video. Cleveland = Starkville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKBsDfBDmG0

Todd4State
04-29-2018, 11:47 PM
A lot of reading in between the lines there but I think we will be happy with that.

MarketingBully
04-30-2018, 02:58 AM
A lot of reading in between the lines there but I think we will be happy with that.

I just want a guy whose ceiling is winning a national title. It’s time for us to go all-in so to speak and get one of the big three that have been mentioned most: Tadlock, Schlossnagle, or McDonnell. Pay one of them whatever it takes and let’s win a national championship here. Any of those three could do it here and MSU is/was a much better program then all three of those schools before those guys took those programs over and MSU has a higher ceiling then any of those programs with those guys taking us over. We get one of those guys and in the next ten years it wouldn’t surprise me if we had 5-6 CWS appearance and at least one natty. Do it John. Do whatever it takes to bring one of the big three to Starkville.

preachermatt83
04-30-2018, 05:34 PM
I think schloss is the least likely of the "big fish". I'm still saying Tadlock but McDonnell keeps popping up. I just don't see it but that would be incredible. But so would Tadlock. Any of the 5 or 6 big fish are grand slams. The ones I consider big fish are Corbin, sully, Tadlock, schloss, Childress and McDonnell

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2018, 05:50 PM
I think schloss is the least likely of the "big fish". I'm still saying Tadlock but McDonnell keeps popping up. I just don't see it but that would be incredible. But so would Tadlock. Any of the 5 or 6 big fish are grand slams. The ones I consider big fish are Corbin, sully, Tadlock, schloss, Childress and McDonnell

Imo There is a sizable gap between the others on this list and Childress

TNDawg35
04-30-2018, 06:03 PM
I have been hearing lots about McDonnell. Apparently him and Cohen are BIG buddies and talk a lot... Steve said they have been talking more here lately, if you can get the hint...

Todd4State
04-30-2018, 06:07 PM
Imo There is a sizable gap between the others on this list and Childress

I agree. I'm not sure why Genespage is so high on him because that is the only place I have seen talking about him. He doesn't fit the profile.

MarketingBully
04-30-2018, 06:58 PM
I have been hearing lots about McDonnell. Apparently him and Cohen are BIG buddies and talk a lot... Steve said they have been talking more here lately, if you can get the hint...

State is his dream job so there’s that.

basedog
04-30-2018, 07:05 PM
Strong rumor I heard today and I’m getting wooly!

Bulldog1
04-30-2018, 07:15 PM
https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article6366620.ece/ALTERNATES/s927b/Woolly-sheep-in-Canberra.jpg

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-30-2018, 07:21 PM

The Childress at A&M?

State is his dream job so there?s that.

McDonnell would be amazing not only because I think he's the best coach between him, Tadlock and Corbin (obviously debatable), but we would also get the added bonus of swiping the guy OM fans have assumed to be their coach in waiting for the past decade or so.

32 Dive
04-30-2018, 07:47 PM
Forgive me... But Grand Slam is only something we can only judge in retrospect. I understand the enthusiasm, about the top shelf potential of Cohen's hire. We get so giddy, that we assume that the biggest name will be a great fit for what is in Starkville. But I'm not calling ANY hire, the maximum superlative, until said coach maximizes the potential for the program, and doesn't suddenly resign due to scandal.

Edit: I'm excited, like everyone else. But the immediate calling every top 15 coach a Grand Slam, is quintessential Swan Lake by nature.

MaroonFlounder
04-30-2018, 08:04 PM

Sully? Who is Sully?

Rick Danko
04-30-2018, 08:06 PM
Sully? Who is Sully?

I?m guessing O Sullivan at Florida. No chance in hell

MaroonFlounder
04-30-2018, 08:09 PM

No way Cohen hires that jackass.

Todd4State
04-30-2018, 08:10 PM

But it would be an awesome trade for Dan, Scott, and Leigh Begley as the sidepiece to be named later.

Todd4State
04-30-2018, 08:12 PM
No way Cohen hires that jackass.

People act differently towards each other between the lines. Especially in baseball. Not saying we would get O'Sullivan but I bet he and Cohen don't hate each other that much. I think O'Sullivan had much more of a problem with Mingione than anyone on our staff at that time.

MarketingBully
04-30-2018, 08:14 PM
I think the guy who said he talked to a guy who’s father knew him personally was getting coach speaked for plausible deniability in case he didn’t get the job which I’m okay with. I think McDonnell is throwing a big smokescreen to OM people who know him personally. With that said, various Louisville peeps have said MSU is the job they worried about with McDonnell and with the events of Jurich being let go in the fall only strengthens our position as he had a great sense of loyalty to Jurich. In the end, it’s going to come down to comfort and does he think he can win a natty here and both of those factors look very positive for the good guys. I’m thinking McDonnell is the front runner for sure.

Todd4State
04-30-2018, 08:18 PM
Forgive me... But Grand Slam is only something we can only judge in retrospect. I understand the enthusiasm, about the top shelf potential of Cohen's hire. We get so giddy, that we assume that the biggest name will be a great fit for what is in Starkville. But I'm not calling ANY hire, the maximum superlative, until said coach maximizes the potential for the program, and doesn't suddenly resign due to scandal.

Edit: I'm excited, like everyone else. But the immediate calling every top 15 coach a Grand Slam, is quintessential Swan Lake by nature.

I've been through essentially five baseball head coaching searches in my fan lifetime and honestly this is probably the first time since we hired Cohen that we are actually going to hire a top coach and do it right. And I expect this coaching hire to be even better than the Cohen hire in terms of clout. And unfortunately when we hired Cohen he had a massive rebuild and severely fractured fan base to deal with plus Ole Miss and USM did a lot to trash him on the recruiting trail.

This time there will be no rebuild or at worst a very small one and our recruiting classes going forward appear to have a lot more balance over the next few years whereas Cohen basically had to start from scratch in recruiting.

Todd4State
04-30-2018, 08:21 PM
I think the guy who said he talked to a guy who’s father knew him personally was getting coach speaked for plausible deniability in case he didn’t get the job which I’m okay with. I think McDonnell is throwing a big smokescreen to OM people who know him personally. With that said, various Louisville peeps have said MSU is the job they worried about with McDonnell and with the events of Jurich being let go in the fall only strengthens our position as he had a great sense of loyalty to Jurich. In the end, it’s going to come down to comfort and does he think he can win a natty here and both of those factors look very positive for the good guys. I’m thinking McDonnell is the front runner for sure.

McDonnell is not going to tell Ole Miss people, scouts, and whoever else anything regarding ANY job because it doesn't serve him to do so. Especially with a season still going on. And he is familiar with the MSU/Ole Miss rivalry so he knows about the intense hard feelings that go along with it and the potential problems telling anyone associated with Ole Miss about interest in the MSU job could potentially cause.

MarketingBully
04-30-2018, 08:54 PM
McDonnell is not going to tell Ole Miss people, scouts, and whoever else anything regarding ANY job because it doesn't serve him to do so. Especially with a season still going on. And he is familiar with the MSU/Ole Miss rivalry so he knows about the intense hard feelings that go along with it and the potential problems telling anyone associated with Ole Miss about interest in the MSU job could potentially cause.

Exactly, that’s why it was obviously coach speak given to that dude who said on here he wasn’t coming to MSU.

Randolph Dupree
04-30-2018, 10:51 PM
I think the guy who said he talked to a guy who?s father knew him personally was getting coach speaked for plausible deniability in case he didn?t get the job which I?m okay with. I think McDonnell is throwing a big smokescreen to OM people who know him personally. With that said, various Louisville peeps have said MSU is the job they worried about with McDonnell and with the events of Jurich being let go in the fall only strengthens our position as he had a great sense of loyalty to Jurich. In the end, it?s going to come down to comfort and does he think he can win a natty here and both of those factors look very positive for the good guys. I?m thinking McDonnell is the front runner for sure.

^^Listen to this guy^^. Only sticking point might be that Cohen will want him to keep some of our current assistants. Not sure this will be the case but I've got some tea leaves that suggest it, but that might change based on how we finish.

basedog
04-30-2018, 11:21 PM
I was told rumor told to me comes from another school and their baseball coach. IF it’s true this coach would know.
I ain’t saying, lol. But man I would be excited!

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2018, 11:22 PM
^^Listen to this guy^^. Only sticking point might be that Cohen will want him to keep some of our current assistants. Not sure this will be the case but I've got some tea leaves that suggest it, but that might change based on how we finish.

Cohen can't be that ridiculous.

He has to get this right and do what's in the best interest of MSU. I can't imagine that he'd demand we keep certain assistants.

Pit Bull
05-01-2018, 03:45 AM
Sullivan is interesting. He will likely get his 2nd Natty this year. Would be funny if we did get him.....I don't see it, but couldn't happen to a nicer Florida AD. Ole Miss fans are laughing out loud by us thinking we have a chance with McDonnell, but I think it could be doable....will cost a bit more, but doable. He would be my #1, but any of the rest would be ok.

TNDawg35
05-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Sullivan is interesting. He will likely get his 2nd Natty this year. Would be funny if we did get him.....I don't see it, but couldn't happen to a nicer Florida AD. Ole Miss fans are laughing out loud by us thinking we have a chance with McDonnell, but I think it could be doable....will cost a bit more, but doable. He would be my #1, but any of the rest would be ok.

They can laugh all they want. But after the season they are gonna be sick....

MarketingBully
05-01-2018, 07:37 AM
They can laugh all they want. But after the season they are gonna be sick....

Yep. Going to be a bad year in Oxford over the next year.

Bully13
05-01-2018, 09:01 AM
Is it true that Louisville has a new AD and that he and McDonnell are not seeing eye to eye on a few things?

TNDawg35
05-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Is it true that Louisville has a new AD and that he and McDonnell are not seeing eye to eye on a few things?

McDonnell and the previous AD were very very close. When he was let go they brought in the new guy who pretty much said piss on athletics and we're gonna focus on academics. Him and McDonnell don't see eye to eye so to speak.

On another note, I truly believe if/when McDonnell comes, we will truly get over the jump. It may take a couple yrs to get his guys in place and get his recruits in, but when it hives, it will be magical. Look what he did at Louisville. He took them from nothing to a national power. Just think what he could do with us.

I do however believe if we don't take McDonnell now, he will go to NM if offered, and personally, I don't want that happening. I honestly don't think Cohen does either.

Bully13
05-01-2018, 11:34 AM
McDonnell and the previous AD were very very close. When he was let go they brought in the new guy who pretty much said piss on athletics and we're gonna focus on academics. Him and McDonnell don't see eye to eye so to speak.

On another note, I truly believe if/when McDonnell comes, we will truly get over the jump. It may take a couple yrs to get his guys in place and get his recruits in, but when it hives, it will be magical. Look what he did at Louisville. He took them from nothing to a national power. Just think what he could do with us.

I do however believe if we don't take McDonnell now, he will go to NM if offered, and personally, I don't want that happening. I honestly don't think Cohen does either.

So it could be that McDonnell wants out. "NM" North Miss, rigtht? Glad to also know that he and Cohen are supposedly good friends.

ScottH
05-01-2018, 11:55 AM

The longer Bianco stays the more likely it is that Cliff Godwin gets that job.

TNDawg35
05-01-2018, 03:55 PM

Bianco is a dang good coach and built that program. However he makes some boneheaded calls sometimes and usually has them playing so tight during the post season they choke.

On Godwin, someone will swipe him up before they fire Bianco. They won't fire him while they have that group of Sophmores so that's this yr and next yr. So if they let him go it will be 2020 at earliest.

I honestly think McDonnell will be our coach next yr and he will stick it to NM (North Miss).

msu15
05-01-2018, 04:02 PM

Love your pic