PDA

View Full Version : Now that this year?s draft is over....

No BS Dawg
04-29-2018, 10:32 AM
How many and which Dawgs will be drafted next year? It has the potential to be quite a few.

Covercorner2
04-29-2018, 11:00 AM
How many and which Dawgs will be drafted next year? It has the potential to be quite a few.

In my uneducated opinion:

Simmons
Sweat
Leo
Peters
Aeris
Elgton
Green

Maybe Abram, McLaurin and Fitz

BrunswickDawg
04-29-2018, 11:13 AM

Simmons
Sweat
Leo
Peters
Aeris
Elgton
Green

Maybe Abram, McLaurin and Fitz

Abram and Fitz will both get drafted. You need to add Rivers to the list too.

Next year is the biggest draft year in MSU history.

MetEdDawg
04-29-2018, 11:30 AM

Simmons
Sweat
Leo
Peters
Aeris
Elgton

Maybe Abram and Fitz

Gerri Green is definitely getting drafted.

I think McLaurin is underrated. If we use him right he gets drafted. His best game film is against a QB that just got taken in the first round. That's gonna help him.

Maroons
04-29-2018, 11:34 AM
Daryl Williams

Pit Bull
04-29-2018, 11:41 AM

Cannot ever remember a punter and a long snapper from the same school being drafted. Probably has happened, but am not aware of it. I think the SEC had 3 punters drafted if I'm not mistaken. That may be a first also.

parabrave
04-29-2018, 11:54 AM
If Lamar Jackson turns out to be a stud someone will draft Mclaurin just to get in his head.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Darryl Williams & Leo are only Jr's I think they'll both be back for their Sr year.

Quaoarsking
04-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Simmons - #1 overall pick
Sweat - first round pick
Fitz - first round pick

I'm probably exaggerating, but not implausibly so.

NWADAWG
04-29-2018, 02:14 PM
Simmons - #1 overall pick
Sweat - first round pick
Fitz - first round pick

I'm probably exaggerating, but not implausibly so.

I saw a mock draft that did not have Simmons or Sweat in 1st round. I laughed.

04-29-2018, 02:47 PM
Abram and Fitz will both get drafted. You need to add Rivers to the list too.

Next year is the biggest draft year in MSU history.

Hope that means the biggest football year in MSU history too

04-29-2018, 02:48 PM
We have such a huge chance to be great next year. SEC, namely Bama and LSU and Florida, lost a lot of significant players. Others like Ole Miss lost their best off crappy teams. I can’t wait, hope we don’t blow it

Saltydog
04-29-2018, 07:11 PM
next year.

TUSK
04-29-2018, 07:19 PM
I've found that one of the best gauges of "team talent" is how many underclassmen one gives up to the NFL, FWIW....

somebodyshotmypaw
04-29-2018, 07:43 PM

Simmons has his work cut out for him. The 2019 NFL draft will be one of the deepest defensive tackle classes ever. There could be 6-8 defensive tackles drafted in the 1st round.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-29-2018, 07:47 PM

Sweat is skinny with a small butt. But he is tall with long arms. He can get to the QB and be disruptive. Is he an outside LB in a 3-4? Is he big enough to be an end in a 4-3? Is he just a situational pass rusher or can he play 3 downs? He reminds me of ex-Dolphin Jason Taylor. Sweat is producing in the top conference in the country.

04-29-2018, 07:50 PM
next year.

Yeah, meant defensive guys, but forgot to add that in

04-29-2018, 07:51 PM
I've found that one of the best gauges of "team talent" is how many underclassmen one gives up to the NFL, FWIW....

Not sure about that, but it for sure means you're going to have some holes the following year. Yes, Saban can probably fill them, but the point is the job will have to be done, or the team takes a step back

Todd4State
04-29-2018, 08:19 PM
My guesses:

Fitz
I think Aeris will be a FA or late round pick.
Jenkins
Sweat
Simmons unless he wants to come back because he fell to the second round because of depth at the position although I'm not sure what 2020 looks like at the position. I could see it happening due to possible unfair "character issues" from his incident in high school.
Green
Hoyett
Cory Thomas
Peters
McLaurin
Abrams

I'm guessing we set a possible school record for players drafted.

04-29-2018, 08:27 PM
My guesses:

Fitz
Jenkins
Sweat
Simmons unless he wants to come back because he fell to the second round because of depth at the position although I'm not sure what 2020 looks like at the position. I could see it happening due to possible unfair "character issues" from his incident in high school.
Green
Hoyett
Cory Thomas
Peters
McLaurin
Abrams

If we have 4 DL drafted and we aren't in possession of an SEC championship trophy or Sugar Bowl trophy I will be supremely disappointed

TUSK
04-29-2018, 09:15 PM
Not sure about that, but it for sure means you're going to have some holes the following year. Yes, Saban can probably fill them, but the point is the job will have to be done, or the team takes a step back

yeah, that happens every year. our depth will suffer a bit early... fortunately the schedule sets up really well to get the newer cats adapted... ie: plenty of time to juggle rotations, etc....

this was a great draft for Bammer but it's not like it hasn't been happening like this for a while... Hell, we had one DL (and a RB) get drafted that didn't even play very much for us....

Todd4State
04-30-2018, 12:09 AM
If we have 4 DL drafted and we aren't in possession of an SEC championship trophy or Sugar Bowl trophy I will be supremely disappointed

I agree. This is a very talented team that we have and it's not young anymore. We also have a senior QB and RB and while they probably won't get drafted this year Eiland, Reese, and Daryl Williams are certainly draft prospects in the future. I think we have some questions at a few position groups like WR and maybe CB but there is no question that there is some good talent to work with and it's more about people stepping up than anything.

Dawg61
04-30-2018, 01:14 AM
There hasn't been a DT go #1 overall since 94

biggun
04-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Our secondary will have to improve immensely for us to have any shot at Atlanta. Far too many times last year in big games, we allowed WR’s to somehow just run right through our defense, streaking wide open with maybe a DB or safety 5-10 yards behind - see Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, etc.

fishwater99
04-30-2018, 10:04 AM
My guesses:

Fitz
Jenkins
Sweat
Green
Hoyett
Cory Thomas
Peters
McLaurin
Abrams

Bama had 12 drafted this year and that was an SEC record...
No way we have 10+ players drafted, take off the maroon colored glasses..

somebodyshotmypaw
04-30-2018, 10:17 AM
Simmons - ceiling is probably top 10, floor is probably 2nd round
Sweat - ceiling is 1st round, floor is probably 3rd round
Fitzgerald - ceiling is 1st round, floor is undrafted (he's going to be real intriguing)

I think Peters, Green, and Jenkins certainly get drafted also.

Aeris, Cory Thomas, McLaurin, Abrams, Hoyett, Calhoun could all go between 4th round and undrafted.

I don't believe we get 10 drafted.

The above is based on good health and no off-the-field issues popping up. Fitz is going to be real interesting. Scouts are really going to monitor his growth in the passing game. I certainly think he gets drafted.

04-30-2018, 10:20 AM

Or, look at it this way. The fact that we are even having this conversation shows how talented we are really going to be

BuckyIsAB****
04-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Anyone on this team who is leaving early should look at Beni Brown and Bear Wilson.

LL and any other Jr on this team except Simmons should come back for their Sr year

NWADAWG
04-30-2018, 12:30 PM

The potential difference I see in Alabama getting 10 drafted and MSU getting 10 drafted is this:
Alabama would probably have 5-6 of those drafts in the 1st 3 rounds.

State would probably have 2-3 in the 1st 3 rounds with a lot going in late rounds.

Getting 10 drafted is a long shot and would be great for State but just because 2 teams get the same number of players drafted does not mean they had the same talent level.

Sorta like our top 100 b-ball recruits vs. Kentucky's top 100 recruits (that also happen to be top 10 recruits).

sonofozarka
04-30-2018, 01:44 PM
I think McLaurin and Abram are underrated while Peters is a liability IMO.

Green looks like Tarzan which NFL guys love, but his production hasn't quite matched as of yet and he might be a worse fit in Shoop's D than he was in Grantham's. Jenkins the opposite, plays way above his size/looks or recruiting ranking.

Guys like Hoyett & Thomas will have to have big years, they're borderline to me. Trenton Thompson was the #1 croot in the country at UGA and didn't get picked at all.

Most ironic thing to me is the commonly held perception that Mullen was a terrible recruiter while also holding the perception that this is our most talented roster ever

04-30-2018, 02:54 PM

Green looks like Tarzan which NFL guys love, but his production hasn't quite matched as of yet and he might be a worse fit in Shoop's D than he was in Grantham's. Jenkins the opposite, plays way above his size/looks or recruiting ranking.

Guys like Hoyett & Thomas will have to have big years, they're borderline to me. Trenton Thompson was the #1 croot in the country at UGA and didn't get picked at all.

Most ironic thing to me is the commonly held perception that Mullen was a terrible recruiter while also holding the perception that this is our most talented roster ever

He loaded down with JUCOs in an already heavy class, that is why. You will figure out how shitty of a job he did in 2019 and probably even more in 2020. If JoMo goes 6-6 or better in 2020 he's a miracle worker, he's already seen up close the crater that Mullen left him in regards to OL underclassmen

That mfer did this so he could get out quickly, that is why

Ifyouonlyknew
04-30-2018, 02:59 PM
Green looks like Tarzan which NFL guys love, but his production hasn't quite matched as of yet

He was pretty good last year. 11tfl, 4sks, 3ff, & a pick 6.

Ari Gold
04-30-2018, 03:41 PM
We could have and I think we will have double digit guys taken in the draft next year.

BrunswickDawg
04-30-2018, 04:05 PM
He loaded down with JUCOs in an already heavy class, that is why. You will figure out how shitty of a job he did in 2019 and probably even more in 2020. If JoMo goes 6-6 or better in 2020 he's a miracle worker, he's already seen up close the crater that Mullen left him in regards to OL underclassmen

That mfer did this so he could get out quickly, that is why

The OL situation is not that dire. Why people keep harping on this baffles me. '19 we will still have Eiland, Williams, Story, Suggs, and Reese with major experience. Parker, Phillips and Champion for Depth, and Richardson as a project. That's assuming we don't pick up any JUCOS or Cunnigham can't contribute as a Fr. That's 8-9 lineman. '20 we still have Eiland, Reese, Parker, Suggs, Richardson, Cunningham - with 2 recruiting classes to go. It is thin - but I guarantee you Moorhead is more on top of this than Mullen ever thought about being.

99jc
04-30-2018, 05:28 PM
The OL situation is not that dire. Why people keep harping on this baffles me. '19 we will still have Eiland, Williams, Story, Suggs, and Reese with major experience. Parker, Phillips and Champion for Depth, and Richardson as a project. That's assuming we don't pick up any JUCOS or Cunnigham can't contribute as a Fr. That's 8-9 lineman. '20 we still have Eiland, Reese, Parker, Suggs, Richardson, Cunningham - with 2 recruiting classes to go. It is thin - but I guarantee you Moorhead is more on top of this than Mullen ever thought about being.

Nm

msbulldog
04-30-2018, 06:03 PM

You forgot about Dolla Bill.

BrunswickDawg
04-30-2018, 06:27 PM
You forgot about Dolla Bill.
Dang, how did I forget Dolla Bill?
So 9-10 linemen - all higher rated than any lineman we had from '09-'16 - for '19, and 7 for '20 with 2 recruiting classes to fill. I'm just not that concerned.

SmokeyDawg
04-30-2018, 07:50 PM
I still wish we could see Jenkins back at guard but I might have to wait until he goes to the league with it being a scheme transition this year. Jenkins can flat out move for his size and keeps his head on a swivel. I also think Williams is better suited to be a center. I hope we get to see a healthy Cory Thomas his sr year, I think he is one of the most underrated on the team but it's understandable when you start looking at the depth of the DL.

04-30-2018, 07:54 PM
The OL situation is not that dire. Why people keep harping on this baffles me..........................It is thin
So why are you arguing? Just out of curiosity?

Thin is not good on the OL, you need minimum 15 on the roster, Mullen decreased this slightly every year from around 20. One thing Croom did, was leave Mullen some OL

BrunswickDawg
04-30-2018, 08:11 PM
So why are you arguing? Just out of curiosity?

Thin is not good on the OL, you need minimum 15 on the roster, Mullen decreased this slightly every year from around 20. One thing Croom did, was leave Mullen some OL

Thin - 2 recruiting classes out - is not some dire, unfixable challenge. And it's really only thin now when you consider most of those guys don't have a ton of experience (if any). We have 7 producers right now for '20 and need 3-4 more. That's 2 more in the '19 class, 2 more in the '20 class. If you say we need 15 I bet we sign more than that over the next 2. The numbers will work themselves out.

Todd4State
04-30-2018, 08:31 PM

1. Look at where most of the talent is and who recruited that position group. The Country Club position groups are typically the thinnest while the defensive side is typically stronger.

2. And to that point- Dan did bring in good players BUT he didn't maximize what we could do. For example- Joe is probably going to have a four star recruit at every single position group. That never happened under Dan. It's kind of like getting a B on the report card when you have the potential to get an A but you didn't because you were lazy.

3. Consider the era and our history. Jackie and Croom weren't exactly world beaters in recruiting either. And because of the rise of the power five we're seen as a better program than we were seen as in the 90's when we had to compete with people like USM and Memphis for players.

Todd4State
04-30-2018, 08:33 PM
Thin - 2 recruiting classes out - is not some dire, unfixable challenge. And it's really only thin now when you consider most of those guys don't have a ton of experience (if any). We have 7 producers right now for '20 and need 3-4 more. That's 2 more in the '19 class, 2 more in the '20 class. If you say we need 15 I bet we sign more than that over the next 2. The numbers will work themselves out.

The biggest problem is it may force us to have to go the JUCO route to fix it and that's more of an issue now with the hard 25 man cap. As it is our back-up center right now is a walk-on. That's scary.

Todd4State
04-30-2018, 08:39 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773297-2019-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-way-too-early-predictions?share=twitter

This guy has us with three first round picks which is the same as Alabama.

fishwater99
05-01-2018, 08:40 AM
We could have and I think we will have double digit guys taken in the draft next year.

Want to wager on 10+???

BrunswickDawg
05-01-2018, 09:07 AM
The biggest problem is it may force us to have to go the JUCO route to fix it and that's more of an issue now with the hard 25 man cap. As it is our back-up center right now is a walk-on. That's scary.

It may. But, I feel a lot more confident about Moorhead recognizing it as an issue and working to fix it then I would about Dan and Hev being able to do it.
I also forgot about Kameron Jones, who Moorhead picked up late from Starkville High in the '18 class; and Evans Wilkerson who is on the roster now (and played in every game last year). So that gives us 11-12 guys for '19, and 8 for '20 currently - with 2 signing classes to go. We normally carry 15 OL, and it looks like Moorhead carried 15 at PSU - roughly 12 on scholarship (roughly same as us we normally have). So that gets us down to needing roughly 1 more OL for the '19 class and 3 more (a normal class) for '20. I think some coaches believe in having fewer guys, affording them more reps, so they have more experience throughout their 4 years - instead of having 20 scholarships on the roster of whom 5-8 will never see the field.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-01-2018, 09:08 AM

Our backup center is Deion Calhoun but I know what the depth chart says.