PDA

View Full Version : 35% Of Early Draft Entrants Go Undrafted

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2018, 08:14 AM
https://twitter.com/coach_mannydiaz/status/990418578989084673

Seems like an awfully high number.

I wish football had a system like baseball where where technically all JRs and SRs were in the draft and the team would just call before selecting the player to see if he wanted to sign.

This current system just seems absurd and not in the best interest of the players.

MetEdDawg
04-29-2018, 08:49 AM
Baseball does it and does it well. And they do it with 40+ rounds. NFL draft has 7 rounds. Fewer potential players to draft. They need to make it happen because I agree. Case and point is De'Runnya. Dude had no options. Got bad advice and decided to go with it. Had no recourse once that decision was made.

Bully13
04-29-2018, 08:55 AM
yep, time for a lawsuit. it's just not fair to the players. as long as they don't get paid by anyone in the finding out process, they should be able to come back to school and play. The way the NCAA has it now ruins these players lives. There would be no harm in allowing them to sign with an agent (again no pay from anyone to the player) so they could get the best possible professional advice and if it doesn't work out the player goes back to school with the agent having a future client if his stock rises the next year in college.

msstate7
04-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Of the 35%, I wonder how many were jucos that d1 wasn't an option for whatever reason

Dawghouse
04-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Of the 35%, I wonder how many were jucos that d1 wasn't an option for whatever reason

Or grade casualties that had no option to return to their college. I'm sure a lot of borderline JRs start slacking off in school when they think they are going in the draft, might be hard to turn that around when you get a draft grade of "possible 6-7 round".

The majority I'm sure are blinded by bad advice and the chance at a lot of money. NCAA could fix this one.

maroonmania
04-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Baseball does it and does it well. And they do it with 40+ rounds. NFL draft has 7 rounds. Fewer potential players to draft. They need to make it happen because I agree. Case and point is De'Runnya. Dude had no options. Got bad advice and decided to go with it. Had no recourse once that decision was made.

Not sure De'Runnya had anyone to blame but himself. Pretty sure he got a draft grade that told him to stay in school but he chose to ignore because he didn't want to be in school. Then he followed that up with some really bad combine numbers. Wilson would have helped us tremendously in his SR year but I don't know that another year in college would have made him stick in the NFL. Wonder what he is doing these days? I hope he ended up getting his degree.

West Tn Dawg
04-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Not sure De'Runnya had anyone to blame but himself. Pretty sure he got a draft grade that told him to stay in school but he chose to ignore because he didn't want to be in school. Then he followed that up with some really bad combine numbers. Wilson would have helped us tremendously in his SR year but I don't know that another year in college would have made him stick in the NFL. Wonder what he is doing these days? I hope he ended up getting his degree.

De’Runnya S. Wilson is an American football wide receiver for the Albany Empire of the Arena Football League

maroonmania
04-29-2018, 07:36 PM
De’Runnya S. Wilson is an American football wide receiver for the Albany Empire of the Arena Football League

Well, its a living I guess although I don't honestly know if Arena football is even considered a full time job.

Matty Dispatch
04-30-2018, 07:23 AM
I wish the NFL had a one round underclassmen draft, maybe in mid-February. If you aren't drafted then you go back to school.

As an aside, leaving early is so stupid unless you're drafted in the first 3 or 4 rounds. Otherwise, you're going to make $500K with no guarantee to make the team. The stats probably bare out that all 5th round picks or undrafted free agents play an average of 2 years making the league minimum. $1 million after taxes, agents and trainers is probably about $400K and you've already established a history of bad decisions so the probability that you have any of that money left at age 23 is next to zero, and you're probably in debt with no college degree.