PDA

View Full Version : 2019-Baseball: Position Player Roster looks Exceptionally Solid

The Federalist Engineer
04-26-2018, 10:52 AM
The draft and other things could create a surprise, but this team could have an extremely solid core of hitters and potentially four rare baseball Seniors. In 2019, we are not counting on a miracle JUCO transfer like a Nathaniel Lowe to suddenly show-up and save us.

1b- Allen or Hatcher
2b- Stovall or Foscue
Ss- Flamebat7
3b- Westburg
Of- Allen or Hatcher
Cf- Anderson
Of- Jordan
C- Stovall (please), Gilbert, Skelton, Hancock (Fr), Jones (Fr)
DH - Macnamee (Sr), Vansau (Sr), others

I also hope that Cohen is working to re-recruit Owen Lovell back to baseball. No way a former Mr. Baseball Alabama and a lifelong stud-bolt athlete can just walk away

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Aren't Mac and Vansau seniors now? I think next year we will be an elite defensive team and be above average -though not top 3 in conference- at the plate. The problem will be pitching. I think we'll have to replace 3 starters and the best reliever, France. Even if Small stays pitching is going to struggle. I think the starters will either give up runs or not go deep, meaning good relievers get used up fast and we struggle to close games on Sunday. All in my oppinion of course

msstate7
04-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Aren't Mac and Vansau seniors now? I think next year we will be an elite defensive team and be above average -though not top 3 in conference- at the plate. The problem will be pitching. I think we'll have to replace 3 starters and the best reliever, France. Even if Small stays pitching is going to struggle. I think the starters will either give up runs or not go deep, meaning good relievers get used up fast and we struggle to close games on Sunday. All in my oppinion of course

Don't think either are seniors

04-26-2018, 11:12 AM
The draft and other things could create a surprise, but this team could have an extremely solid core of hitters and potentially four rare baseball Seniors. In 2019, we are not counting on a miracle JUCO transfer like a Nathaniel Lowe to suddenly show-up and save us.

1b- Allen or Hatcher
2b- Stovall or Foscue
Ss- Flamebat7
3b- Westburg
Of- Allen or Hatcher
Cf- Anderson
Of- Jordan

I also hope that Cohen is working to re-recruit Owen Lovell back to baseball. No way a former Mr. Baseball Alabama and a lifelong stud-bolt athlete can just walk away
Luke Bole walked away, just like Ethan Bright....it happens, Lovell is gone, we honestly don't need him anyway

Tanner Allen is the 1B for the next few years, it's about the only position he can play. Hatcher is probably going to DH or move to RF. Foscue should be the 3B, not sure why Henderson is not starting him there. Westburg will take SS once Alexander leaves. Rowdy Jordan may eventually get on the infield too probably once Stovall leaves

Wildcards are McNamee and Vansau. I imagine McNamee comes back, but I doubt Vansau does. I am not ready to anoint Anderson the CF just yet, McNamee may take that spot

MetEdDawg
04-26-2018, 11:12 AM
The nice thing is that we return a lot of youth at the plate that isn't really youth anymore.

We've got 5 freshmen that aren't getting freshmen numbers of ABs. They are going to have a lot of experience there. Add in the returning experience of guys like Stovall and Alexander and we are in really good looking shape.

I agree starting pitching is the unknown. If Small comes back, he's the Friday guy. I like what I've seen from McQuary in spurts but he's only really got a shot at Sunday. A 4.97 ERA and 14 walks over 26 innings isn't the kind of person that can pitch Friday or Saturday.

Can Keegan James step into a Saturday role? Can Ashcraft stay healthy enough to compete for a weekend spot? Can we get Ginn on campus and have him start? Pitching is a big if next year and if Small goes, we could be in serious trouble. But we should be able to hit the baseball enough to be a solid team.

Homedawg
04-26-2018, 12:48 PM
Stovall is not going to be the catcher. Just not.

TNDawg35
04-26-2018, 12:53 PM
Stovall is not going to be the catcher. Just not.

I agree. Why would we want him to be with the way Gilbert is playing . Put and keep Skeltons ass on the bench and let Gilbert be the man. Hell we lead the SEC with runners caught stealing by the catcher...

04-26-2018, 01:21 PM
I agree. Why would we want him to be with the way Gilbert is playing . Put and keep Skeltons ass on the bench and let Gilbert be the man. Hell we lead the SEC with runners caught stealing by the catcher...

Agree Gilbert is becoming a force for us, and will probably go the way of Ammo or Thigpen his senior year, which means a damn good player

Skelton had every opportunity to realize his potential, he just didn't do it, he got his butt beat out

I think we may have a hot shot freshman coming in too

The Federalist Engineer
04-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Agree on pitching, no telling what we have there. 2020 is already looking like a potential disaster because recruiting in 2016 and 2017. Only a great 2018 class (players that actually show on campus) of pitchers can save us

yjnkdawg
04-26-2018, 06:46 PM

1b- Allen or Hatcher
2b- Stovall or Foscue
Ss- Flamebat7
3b- Westburg
Of- Allen or Hatcher
Cf- Anderson
Of- Jordan

It would be nice if the Ss could be listed as Alexander to be consistent with the rest of the postion player names. It may be for clarity, as well for some readers, because some readers may not recognize some of these ridiculious nicknames that some of the posters, or former posters on this board have bestowed on some of our student athletes. "Respect the Bell" is very applicable and "Respect Our Student Athletes" may be as well. Just something to ponder.

Todd4State
04-26-2018, 10:46 PM
It all depends on what juniors come back and draft eligible redshirt sophomores come back as well as how big of a hit we take in the draft. If Small, Stovall, and LA come back that would be huge for us. We've lost guys like that typically and it really hurts us the next season. Getting JT Ginn and Gunner Halter would be huge. Getting surprised and getting one of the three high school recruits that are expected to sign would be enormous- but not something we can count obviously. It also depends on how our formerly injured pitchers recover and how a couple like McQuary develop in the offseason. As far as Lovell- some people just get burned out but I would be curious to know if the reason why he left was because of the Cann situation at the time. Not counting on him one way or the other. Catcher is going to be a battle with Gilbert who will be the front runner and Skelton and then likely the two freshmen Hayden Jones and Luke Hancock fighting for the starting spot.

One way or the other I think we will have a veteran team it's just going to be either sophomore or senior laden and that's the question at this time.

drummerdawg
04-26-2018, 11:23 PM
just like Ethan Bright....

Idk how many people know this but he died a few years ago. Sad situation.

Count Istvan Teleky
04-27-2018, 07:39 AM
Ryan Cyr.

Stats here:
https://kuathletics.com/cumestats.aspx?path=baseball&year=2018&

Could we not have used him this year?

Choctaw Dawg
04-27-2018, 08:58 AM
Ryan Cyr.

Stats here:

Cyr did not like Cannizaro and decided to bolt. He was not 100% focused on baseball anyway, we didn't need him.

The Federalist Engineer
04-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Ryan Cyr.

Stats here:

This kid was evidently a Sith, as soon as Cann dismissed him from the team after the Arkansas series, the team improved tremendously. A discipline problem is the rumor.

Purely on stats, the numbers he his producing in Kansas actually suck. A kid that was a Saturday starter in the SEC should be killing-it in the Big 12.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-27-2018, 09:16 AM
I remember seeing this last year

msstate7
04-27-2018, 09:31 AM
I remember seeing this last year

To be fair, if we had self and price this season, we easily win the game 3s vs Missouri and auburn. That makes us 10-8 in sec and easily in the tourney after losing our coach after 3 games

The Federalist Engineer
04-27-2018, 09:42 AM
To be fair, if we had self and price this season, we easily win the game 3s vs Missouri and auburn. That makes us 10-8 in sec and easily in the tourney after losing our coach after 3 games

I see it the same way, the whole conversation of Henderson's pitching choices might not be a topic if he had Price, Self, and Ashcraft available. Our pitching staff is still cobbled together

04-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Idk how many people know this but he died a few years ago. Sad situation.
Did not know that

TNDawg35
04-27-2018, 12:26 PM
Just saw where MLB put out the top 100 college kids list. Pill was at 53 I believe. No one else on it from us. I honestly think Stovall, LA, Small come back. We really need Ashcroft, Price, and Self to be 100% next yr. Also need MCQ to take a step forward. With the right coaching hire, we could be very very dangerous next yr. You also have to think that whoever is hired brings some of his guys with him as far as recruits.

04-27-2018, 01:16 PM
Just saw where MLB put out the top 100 college kids list. Pill was at 53 I believe. No one else on it from us. I honestly think Stovall, LA, Small come back. We really need Ashcroft, Price, and Self to be 100% next yr. Also need MCQ to take a step forward. With the right coaching hire, we could be very very dangerous next yr. You also have to think that whoever is hired brings some of his guys with him as far as recruits.
Stovall and Alexander are most definitely coming back, there's really no question there, unless they go on some crazy run and end up hitting above .325 or so, and even if they did, they are tailor made for that prototypical SEC senior that carries a team, and hits like .330 - .350, not to mention they anchor our middle infield

Never know with pitchers, but I assume if Small gets taken he'll go, only so many miles in any arm, esp when you've already had one surgery

On Self, Price, Ashcraft.....my positivity level for those goes from left to right. Ashcraft needs to be a major factor for us next year. Price won't be ready until 2020. I've got a bad feeling that Self has an injury that we don't know about

I hope our rotation next year is Small, James and Ashcraft. Breaux is another guy we really need to get healthy, scary to have to rely on McQuary and Gordon

HoopsDawg
04-27-2018, 01:37 PM

We would have won them this year with the right decisions.