PDA

View Full Version : Fall saltwater fishing report

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Anybody had any good trips lately? I know the specks and reds have moved into the marsh areas along ms and LA. I've heard pompano are running through and being caught as well. Also heard of 1 charter captain that has had some cobia success. Anybody gone or going lately?

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Here a few shots of my last trip 2 weeks ago

All the reds were caught working the grass line with dead shrimp under a popping cork. We picked up a few specks that way and a black drum as well. We went to a grass bed and worked artificial (b2 squid on jig head) to land the majority of the specks. Used medium tackle, braided 15 lb test, and 25lb flouro-carbon leader.

State82
10-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Went to Lafitte 2 weeks ago. Fished the ponds with 2 buddies and a guide. We easily caught 4 limits all on spoons but nothing really big. However, I don't like the big ones anyway. I like the 4-5 lbers for the grill. It wasn't fast and furious but we got limits and probably released 6-8 others. Headed to my camp south of Houma first weekend in November. Hopefully, specks will be in by then.

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Went to Lafitte 2 weeks ago. Fished the ponds with 2 buddies and a guide. We easily caught 4 limits all on spoons but nothing really big. However, I don't like the big ones anyway. I like the 4-5 lbers for the grill. It wasn't fast and furious but we got limits and probably released 6-8 others. Headed to my camp south of Houma first weekend in November. Hopefully, specks will be in by then.

That's awesome. The slot reds are the best cooking anyway as you said. When it comes to Lafitte, I like Big Dog Charters. Very professional and friendly and they have multiple captains that work the ponds together. Their logo is killer as well b/c it's a bulldog with a redfish in his mouth. All the other captains in that area seem good too. They have a nice camaraderie and help each other out. Some places is cut-throat.

State82
10-07-2013, 10:00 PM
That's awesome. The slot reds are the best cooking anyway as you said. When it comes to Lafitte, I like Big Dog Charters. Very professional and friendly and they have multiple captains that work the ponds together. Their logo is killer as well b/c it's a bulldog with a redfish in his mouth. All the other captains in that area seem good too. They have a nice camaraderie and help each other out. Some places is cut-throat.

We went with Todd Dufour. That was my first trip with him, but one of the guys I went with has booked him numerous times over the last few years. I highly recommend him.

SnakePlissken
10-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Steve - I need to get down your way and have you take me out for Reds and Specs. :)

BeastMan
10-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Steve - I need to get down your way and have you take me out for Reds and Specs. :)

I'm actually in Jackson but we've got a little place in the pass. It gets well used... I'm actually thinking of taking out my kayak in the back of BSL in a cpl weeks and work the grass banks. I know of 1 hole across the river from Cameron island that gets about 20 ft deep and holds trout this time of year.

BeastMan
10-08-2013, 12:07 PM
FWIW here is a google image shot of the area I was referring too

SnakePlissken
10-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Good looking water. I've got a 10' old towne fisherman kayak (sit in). I may have to wait until spring to try to do any fishing but it sure sounds like a lot of potential fun!! I'm undergoing some serious treatments that keep me under the weather for weeks at a time right now.

J-Dawg
10-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Didn't know we had multiple kayak fishermen on here! I've got a Jackson Cuda, but I've never even been fishing for reds before. Own no tackle for it and know nowhere to go, but there sure is a ton of talk about it. I'd love to give it a whirl.

Hey, since both of you kayak, check out mskayakfisherman.com. It could desperately use some traffic.