PDA

View Full Version : My take from Governor's Cup game...involves Magnum, the Rebel killer...

Rick Cleveland
04-24-2018, 11:41 PM
https://mississippitoday.org/2018/04/24/jake-mangum-the-rebel-killer-does-it-again/

CadaverDawg
04-24-2018, 11:49 PM
Good stuff, Rick. Thank you

Todd4State
04-25-2018, 12:03 AM
I'll be honest- if I was Bianco I would have pitched to Mangum. What happened tonight is why you don't put the go ahead run on base. I thought it was a mistake when it happened- and I'm glad the did it. Mangum also sometimes extends the strike zone in a big moment like that too- see the Arizona SR- and he sometimes gets himself out.

And then you had LA who had beaten them before and Tanner Allen behind him who was having a good night too.

It will be discussed for awhile but maybe there wasn't a right move.

Commercecomet24
04-25-2018, 12:15 AM
You never put the winning run on base. It ranks right up there with not making the first or third out at third base. Strategical mistake by Bianco and glad he did it.

Bully13
04-25-2018, 06:40 AM
Thanks Rick. I think he should have pitched to him but not give him anything to hit. Maybe the 1st pitch to make him think he was going to "pitch" to him. Then just kinda pitch around him and maybe get him to chase stuff.

Jack Lambert
04-25-2018, 06:52 AM
My take is even though State hasn't been that good this season Ole Miss is still our Bitch.

shoeless joe
04-25-2018, 06:54 AM
When mangum stepped to the plate we need two hits off their closer in order to win the game. Once he walked we only needed one. I have a lot of respect for Bianco but I didnt like the move from their perspective. He was playing to avoid the tie and in doing so he avoided the win.

Bully13
04-25-2018, 06:57 AM
When mangum stepped to the plate we need two hits off their closer in order to win the game. Once he walked we only needed one. I have a lot of respect for Bianco but I didnt like the move from their perspective. He was playing to avoid the tie and in doing so he avoided the win.

yep. 1 hit vs 2.

msstate7
04-25-2018, 06:59 AM
Delete

MetEdDawg
04-25-2018, 07:16 AM
I'll be honest- if I was Bianco I would have pitched to Mangum. What happened tonight is why you don't put the go ahead run on base. I thought it was a mistake when it happened- and I'm glad the did it. Mangum also sometimes extends the strike zone in a big moment like that too- see the Arizona SR- and he sometimes gets himself out.

And then you had LA who had beaten them before and Tanner Allen behind him who was having a good night too.

It will be discussed for awhile but maybe there wasn't a right move.

In total agreement. You don't put the winning run on 1st base with the 2-3-4 hole coming up. Sounds like Mangum was in their head though. The announcers talked about Bianco's comments on him the entire night and it sounded like the game plan was don't let Mangum beat us. In the end, he beat them anyways because his was the game winning run.

To me you pitch to him and take your chances. Let's just say Mangum singles and scores the run. You have him on 1st with 1 out and Alexander still up. Basically the same scenario really. So to me you pitch to him and let the chips fall where they may.

Red Sox Dawg
04-25-2018, 07:28 AM
Thanks Rick. Always enjoy your writing.

basedog
04-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Nice article Rick, but I have to disagree about walking Jake in the bottom of 9th. Sure I understand the thinking but my Dad who was a baseball guy use to say all the time "you don't walk the winning run in the 9th". Second mistake by OM was the the pitch, Luke has trouble with breaking pitches plus he is more of a pull pitcher. You throw breaking pitches to him, he took one pitch that was a slider for a strike then he gets a fastball knee high on outside of plate and we all know the rest of the story.

Gotta love baseball because everyone has an opinion about every pitch and situation!

Bulldog1
04-25-2018, 08:13 AM
I understand not wanting to face Mangum, and walking him to get to LA, but you don't intentionally put the winning run on base.