PDA

View Full Version : Being real

BuckyIsAB****
04-23-2018, 09:31 PM
Im a HS FB coach and Im just telling you, if CFB wants to be for real about spring football, esp with them cutting the number of practices down they will start playing real games in the spring.

Now obviously they wont count against your record and it wouldnt be time to panic or crown a natty champ after a game in april/may but if they want fans and really, the players to buy into it and get better they will schedule games.

I dont care who you are, after about 10 2 and a half hour practices you get ready to hit somebody in a different colored jersey. It wouldnt even have to be big games, schedule FCS teams in the spring. Nobody wants to go to those games in the fall at 11 am anyway. I cant tell you from personal experience our spring game is one of the biggest motivators we have for our kids in the spring. Its not that complicated.

Honestly our staff (Moorhead and co.) learned a lot more about us in the practices before last saturday than they did saturday. With the way they are being played now spring games are glorified walk thrus.

Schedule a real game. Please. Its better for everyone.

Todd4State
04-23-2018, 09:48 PM
I concur. It would be a great time to schedule the in state SWAC schools and play them if we are not going to play them as our FCS opponent. I have no idea why we have essentially stopped playing Jackson State and Alcorn but that to me is much more interesting than Southeast Louisiana or UT-Martin. We could also play Valley since their scholarship situation wouldn't affect our bowl eligibility if we play them in the spring.

The glorified scrimmages are boring.

BuckyIsAB****
04-23-2018, 09:51 PM
I concur. It would be a great time to schedule the in state SWAC schools and play them if we are not going to play them as our FCS opponent. I have no idea why we have essentially stopped playing Jackson State and Alcorn but that to me is much more interesting than Southeast Louisiana or UT-Martin. We could also play Valley since their scholarship situation wouldn't affect our bowl eligibility if we play them in the spring.

The glorified scrimmages are boring.

Agreed on all points. Spring games are worse than they even used to be in college. I promise you there was probably more intensity at our regular practices than there was saturday at that ''game''

BuckyIsAB****
04-23-2018, 09:52 PM
And I know people are going to say that ''what if they get hurt''

They could get hurt in the spring games and practices that are played now anyways. Kids want to compete not go half ass. The good ones anyway

SPMT
04-23-2018, 10:38 PM
Why take the risk??!

BuckyIsAB****
04-23-2018, 11:22 PM
Why take the risk??!

Every high school team does it. They could get injured in practice or walking to class. If you are worried about getting hurt you prolly dont need to be playing anyway. Why not college?

DownwardDawg
04-24-2018, 12:19 AM
I guess I don't get it. Do that many people really care about how the spring game looks? There is MLB, College baseball, basketball wrapping up, etc.....
I want to hear about how we are doing in practice but it ain't football season. I could care less if we even play a spring game. We have multiple scrimmages already.

TUSK
04-24-2018, 12:20 AM
Hell yes... I'd love Bammer to get some tune up games vs the FSUs, USCs, Michigans, PSUs, etc...

bostondawg
04-24-2018, 06:25 AM
Honestly had no idea high school teams played a spring game vs another opponent. Didn't do that in Louisiana as I recall.

Jack Lambert
04-24-2018, 08:06 AM
I don't like it.

1. The coaches will lose time teaching fundamentals and other things that will benefit the team in the fall because they will have to spend time preparing for a game. Yes it only a spring game and it will mean nothing but it will mean everything to the fans and the coaches will have to win. The entire spring training will be spent on preparing for the game.

2. It's spring training. If anything they should get rid of the spring game and just let them practice during that time.

3. What if you lose? It will be a non p 5 school. There will be some serious meltdown.

I suspect it will never happen because the coaches will not want it to happen.

BuckyIsAB****
04-24-2018, 09:40 AM
I don't like it.

1. The coaches will lose time teaching fundamentals and other things that will benefit the team in the fall because they will have to spend time preparing for a game. Yes it only a spring game and it will mean nothing but it will mean everything to the fans and the coaches will have to win. The entire spring training will be spent on preparing for the game.

2. It's spring training. If anything they should get rid of the spring game and just let them practice during that time.

3. What if you lose? It will be a non p 5 school. There will be some serious meltdown.

I suspect it will never happen because the coaches will not want it to happen.

You dont have to do a whole lot of preparing for it. No high school teams do other than maybe seeing how your opponent will line up.

There is no gameplanning or any of that for a spring game.

BuckyIsAB****
04-24-2018, 09:41 AM
I guess I don't get it. Do that many people really care about how the spring game looks? There is MLB, College baseball, basketball wrapping up, etc.....
I want to hear about how we are doing in practice but it ain't football season. I could care less if we even play a spring game. We have multiple scrimmages already.

Football>>>>>>>>>>MLB, College baseball, basketball etc.

Why do you think that new football league is starting in the spring next year? People want football year round.

Jack Lambert
04-24-2018, 09:47 AM
You dont have to do a whole lot of preparing for it. No high school teams do other than maybe seeing how your opponent will line up.

There is no gameplanning or any of that for a spring game.

You say that but if MSU was playing a FCS team it will be a big time game to them and they will come at you with all they got. You could lose that game and it just would set a bad precedence in the minds of the fans and players. Your coach will have to treat it like a game. You can't risk up setting your fan base. It's just not worth it.

You wouldn't be piss if State lost to a FCS team in the spring. I damn sure would.

Johnson85
04-24-2018, 10:41 AM
Every high school team does it. They could get injured in practice or walking to class. If you are worried about getting hurt you prolly dont need to be playing anyway. Why not college?

You're cutting your reps basically in half. With a Maroon/White style game, you get 22 of your players on the field at all times. So just playing a backup at each position on each team, you'd have snaps for more players than you have scholarship players.

If you do a spring game with an opponent, how long would you have to play to get snaps for that many guys? Longer than the other team could likely keep up if you're talking about an FCS school. You should get much better competition playing against our third string than an FCS's second string.

Jack Lambert
04-24-2018, 10:58 AM
You're cutting your reps basically in half. With a Maroon/White style game, you get 22 of your players on the field at all times. So just playing a backup at each position on each team, you'd have snaps for more players than you have scholarship players.

If you do a spring game with an opponent, how long would you have to play to get snaps for that many guys? Longer than the other team could likely keep up if you're talking about an FCS school. You should get much better competition playing against our third string than an FCS's second string.

I think it would be fun for the fans and we will get different opinions about it. Even though I don't like it and the team has nothing to gain from it, it would still be fun.

MStateDawg
04-24-2018, 11:32 AM
I have no idea why we have essentially stopped playing Jackson State and Alcorn but that to me is much more interesting than Southeast Louisiana or UT-Martin.

We'll have Southern Miss next year (2019) and Alcorn in 2020, so the in-state matchups will be returning. We then do a home and home vs Memphis in '21 & '22 before another home and home with USM in '23 & '24.

TrapGame
04-24-2018, 11:38 AM
You say that but if MSU was playing a FCS team it will be a big time game to them and they will come at you with all they got. You could lose that game and it just would set a bad precedence in the minds of the fans and players. Your coach will have to treat it like a game. You can't risk up setting your fan base. It's just not worth it.

You wouldn't be piss if State lost to a FCS team in the spring. I damn sure would.

As I read this flashes of the South Alabama game came to mind.

TimberBeast
04-24-2018, 11:45 AM
As I read this flashes of the South Alabama game came to mind.

The sole person responsible for that loss doesn't work here anymore.

TrapGame
04-24-2018, 11:47 AM
The sole person responsible for that loss doesn't work here anymore.

And I thank God everyday.

Lord McBuckethead
04-24-2018, 01:03 PM
I think it would be fun for the fans and we will get different opinions about it. Even though I don't like it and the team has nothing to gain from it, it would still be fun.

Plus, knowing how we schedule, we would be the road team.

SailingDawg
04-24-2018, 08:21 PM
Let UCF and Alabama go at it!

BuckyIsAB****
04-24-2018, 10:02 PM
Well in high school or the way we have done it anyway, is that the JV kids play 2 quarters at halftime of the varsity game. Running clock.

Obviously that wouldnt work in college but this isnt an everybody gets to play league so do well with your reps in practice and you will play in the game.

sonofozarka
04-24-2018, 10:40 PM
Would each team still be able to have a Make a Wish kid with cancer score a 90 yard touchdown?

How many times can Boobie come off the sidelines in jeans and score a snowbird TD? That's a tradition I'm not willing to give up you guys

Dawg61
04-24-2018, 10:49 PM

This is me to a T. Spring games are and always will be boring as ****. They are for recruiting nerds and football junkies that can't step away from the pigskin during off-season.

BuckyIsAB****
04-25-2018, 09:25 AM
This is me to a T. Spring games are and always will be boring as ****. They are for recruiting nerds and football junkies that can't step away from the pigskin during off-season.

We should all be football junkies