PDA

View Full Version : This Is A Timeline On How Not To Conduct An SEC Footbal Head Coach Search

yjnkdawg
04-22-2018, 08:08 PM
What an embarrassment and a train wreck! Thank you, TN. Should have maybe reached out to Tee Martin more, but oh well.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/tennessee-timeline-coaching-search-john-currie-greg-schiano-clay-travis-mike-gundy/1f1qsysgl9vwa14s8nvcumvj4e

RocketDawg
04-22-2018, 08:49 PM
It's no wonder the fans are upset. I'd forgotten it was that bad.

And Mullen was set to go there? He must've really wanted to leave Starkville.

yjnkdawg
04-22-2018, 09:21 PM

I had forgotten it was too, Rocket. I knew it was a circus, but just didn't know about all these details spelled out.

Bully13
04-22-2018, 09:53 PM
Mullen, TN & FL can all go to hell and die as far as I'm concerned. Thank you John Cohen.

Bulldog1
04-22-2018, 09:56 PM
Mullen, TN & FL can all go to hell and die as far as I'm concerned. Thank you John Cohen.

Bully ain't mincing words. Haha.

Todd4State
04-23-2018, 12:32 AM

I'm thankful he didn't end up at Tennessee. That would have pretty much open up Memphis recruiting wide open for Ole Miss and made it easier for them to rebuild. As it is I don't know if Pruitt will work there either- but there is no doubt he can recruit and he has gotten UT back into Memphis in a way that they haven't been since the Phil Fulmer era.

RocketDawg
04-23-2018, 07:06 AM
I'm thankful he didn't end up at Tennessee. That would have pretty much open up Memphis recruiting wide open for Ole Miss and made it easier for them to rebuild. As it is I don't know if Pruitt will work there either- but there is no doubt he can recruit and he has gotten UT back into Memphis in a way that they haven't been since the Phil Fulmer era.

That's a good point that I'd not thought about. It looks like recruiting just isn't something Dan wants to do, or can do, regardless of where he is.

Bully13
04-23-2018, 07:40 AM

You don't coach at UT and not work Memphis. He already stole that OL from us from Cordova. He'll land some big fish from Memphis for UT.

johnson86-1
04-23-2018, 09:47 AM

I still can't really believe Mullen wanted to go there. I get wanting to move on, as it's extremely rare to maintain goodwill in one place beyond a decade these days (or to even last a decade). But to be willing to go to UT this year rather than waiting for the offers that would come after what should be a big year this year indicates he really was desperate to get out and not willing to risk being here for another few years. Not sure whether he was still just pissed about the non-contract extension after 2015 or what.

HotMop
04-23-2018, 11:16 AM
What an embarrassment and a train wreck! Thank you, TN. Should have maybe reached out to Tee Martin more, but oh well.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/tennessee-timeline-coaching-search-john-currie-greg-schiano-clay-travis-mike-gundy/1f1qsysgl9vwa14s8nvcumvj4e

I was working in Nashville at the time of this and TN was getting ridiculed by every Sports Talk Show host on the air. It dominated every discussion. The fans were wanting everyone fired...coaches (check), AD (check).

Bully13
04-24-2018, 08:38 AM
After living in Mempho during the Fulmer / natty years, never in my wildest imagination would I have ever thought MSU would be running their athletic department so much better than TN. Wild.

TrapGame
04-24-2018, 01:57 PM
I still can't really believe Mullen wanted to go there. I get wanting to move on, as it's extremely rare to maintain goodwill in one place beyond a decade these days (or to even last a decade). But to be willing to go to UT this year rather than waiting for the offers that would come after what should be a big year this year indicates he really was desperate to get out and not willing to risk being here for another few years. Not sure whether he was still just pissed about the non-contract extension after 2015 or what.

He was pissed because he couldn't push Cohen around like he could Strick. Cohen called his ass out on tepid recruiting and the country club. The party was over. He was really going to have to earn that check.

And there is already grumbling around Gainesville about his lackluster recruiting efforts and lazy staff.

Mobile Bay
04-24-2018, 02:28 PM
And there is already grumbling around Gainesville about his lackluster recruiting efforts and lazy staff.

Where are you seeing that at?

TrapGame
04-24-2018, 02:38 PM

Brought up on Jay White's show yesterday. A writer in FL said he talked to folks around the football program that are not thrilled by Mullen's recruiting prowess. If he doesn't bring in a solid top ten class the grumbling will get a lot louder.

Todd4State
04-24-2018, 03:39 PM

Ask Emmitt Smith. Dan looks like he is already slow playing his son and Smith's son has been visiting Georgia.

Bulldog1
04-24-2018, 03:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbWXG12U8AAWRYz?format=jpg