View Full Version : Baseball RPI update

MetEdDawg
04-22-2018, 08:23 AM
I know not everyone keeps as good of track of RPI in baseball but I think what happened this weekend should highlight how good a position we've now put ourselves in. Going into this series we were around 65th. After this sweep, we are now 43rd according to Warren Nolan.

Current SOS is 21st and I have to believe that goes Top 10 with Florida, TAMU, @UK, @Bama, mid week Troy (RPI 38) and the midweek against OM still left to play on our schedule.

We've got ourselves at 8-10 in a conference that's looking like a 10 big league with 6 regional host sites. If we can get 13 conference wins plus one in the tournament I think we can get in the NCAA Tournament. 4 weeks ago I would have laughed had you said that, but let's give credit to everyone involved. We've played hard and have overcome some major adversity.

Last point I'll leave is that we are 2 games out of 1st place in the West. And we hold the tiebreaker over both Ole Miss and Arkansas who are tied for the lead in the West. Crazy to think we are even in that position.

The Federalist Engineer
04-22-2018, 08:35 AM
Even if we don't make a regional, the OM and Arkansas series wins are big for the team and program

The quasi-blessing of not making the Regionals is that our team will be very popular for Summer Ball assignments. All these freshmen will be heading to the cape for a 60 additional ABs against quality opposition

Too bad we don't have any freshmen pitchers. Maybe Ashcraft can be summer ready- we need him to have a summer and fall to get productivity in 2019

msstate7
04-22-2018, 08:40 AM
Every team has what ifs, but I would love to have the game 3s vs mizzou and auburn back.

Bulldog1
04-22-2018, 08:41 AM
You can see the potential for next year.

msstate7
04-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Even if we don't make a regional, the OM and Arkansas series wins are big for the team and program

The quasi-blessing of not making the Regionals is that our team will be very popular for Summer Ball assignments. All these freshmen will be heading to the cape for a 60 additional ABs against quality opposition

Too bad we don't have any freshmen pitchers. Maybe Ashcraft can be summer ready- we need him to have a summer and fall to get productivity in 2019

New coach's first talk should be with Ethan small. He is draft eligible, but a sophomore. Small could make this team really good next season

Bulldog1
04-22-2018, 08:44 AM
Small is a RS sophomore right?

msstate7
04-22-2018, 08:52 AM
Small is a RS sophomore right?

Yes. I would guess he is really improving his draft stock too, so it may be a lost cause. Here are his overall stats and sec only...

Overall...
58.0 ip 53 h 17 bb 75 k 2.79 era
Sec...
37.2 ip 33 h 10 bb 44 k 2.39 era

He has easily been our best pitcher this year. Oh and the scary part is he doesn't have his pre-TJ velocity back yet. He would be an absolute monster if we could get him back

Bulldog1
04-22-2018, 09:02 AM
Off topic, but the stadium gun had the Arkansas starter throwing 100 mph in the sixth inning. That guy has a arm!

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Off topic, but the stadium gun had the Arkansas starter throwing 100 mph in the sixth inning. That guy has a arm!

Wes Johnson doing work! First they throw 100, then they get a sweet cast and a full year of vacation from pitching!

Bulldog1
04-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Wes Johnson doing work! First they throw 100, then they get a sweet cast and a full year of vacation from pitching!

How nice of him****** LOL

DawgBone
04-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Lets say we get to 13 SEC wins that would put us at 27-26 overall. That means we can only drop one of the midweek games to put us at 28-27 going into the SEC tournament where two losses would automatically knock us out of contention for the NCAA tournament.

DawgBone
04-22-2018, 07:30 PM
Sure would like to have the game that got cancelled mid game while we were leading back.

preachermatt83
04-22-2018, 09:04 PM

He also tinkers with the radar board too.

The Federalist Engineer
04-22-2018, 09:25 PM
Yes. I would guess he is really improving his draft stock too, so it may be a lost cause. Here are his overall stats and sec only...

Overall...
Sec...

He has easily been our best pitcher this year. Oh and the scary part is he doesn't have his pre-TJ velocity back yet. He would be an absolute monster if we could get him back

The most MsState thing to happen is that Small announces his sincere intention to stay to develop his craft in college. Then the New York Mets draft him 6th overall - after we get pillaged of our future Ace, we are happy for Ethan and we start tracking his climb to the "show"

The healthier thing for us to hope for is that we get a 100% Keegan James, 100% Graham Ashcraft, and 100% 3-Pitch-Riley Self

Homedawg
04-23-2018, 09:37 AM

The gun isn't even close to right, it had pilk at 98 on friday and he doesnt come close to that.

Bulldog1
04-23-2018, 09:43 AM
The gun isn't even close to right, it had pilk at 98 on friday and he doesnt come close to that.
That makes sense. I thought it seemed kind of odd considering he didn't touch over 96 until then.

MarketingBully
04-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Whichever elite coach takes over our program will have a CWS ready team. I’d think Small would be back considering he can only improve his draft stock if he came back. I think it most likely will depend on who we hire. I doubt he would go that high after this year to justify him going unless he just wanted to go. The thing I hate about this team is you could easily say 6-7 of our losses were completely from mismanagement. We could easily be 29-13 and at least 11-7 or 12-6 in the league and then we are not just talking about hosting but a possible national seed. We are winning right now in spite of our coaching. I think Cann (if he would have been focused) could have easily won 40 games again this season with another super or more. But in the end if we get a Tadlock, Schlossnagle, or McDonnell we would have upgraded our coaching with very little down time.

Bulldog1
04-23-2018, 08:29 PM
Whichever elite coach takes over our program will have a CWS ready team. I’d think Small would be back considering he can only improve his draft stock if he came back. I think it most likely will depend on who we hire. I doubt he would go that high after this year to justify him going unless he just wanted to go. The thing I hate about this team is you could easily say 6-7 of our losses were completely from mismanagement. We could easily be 29-13 and at least 11-7 or 12-6 in the league and then we are not just talking about hosting but a possible national seed. We are winning right now in spite of our coaching. I think Cann (if he would have been focused) could have easily won 40 games again this season with another super or more. But in the end if we get a Tadlock, Schlossnagle, or McDonnell we would have upgraded our coaching with very little down time.

Absolutely.

MarketingBully
04-23-2018, 08:40 PM

Overall...
Sec...

One more year and he gets that 93-94 fastball back, he’s a first round pick. It’s a no brainer you come back.

Homedawg
04-23-2018, 09:44 PM
Whichever elite coach takes over our program will have a CWS ready team. I?d think Small would be back considering he can only improve his draft stock if he came back. I think it most likely will depend on who we hire. I doubt he would go that high after this year to justify him going unless he just wanted to go. The thing I hate about this team is you could easily say 6-7 of our losses were completely from mismanagement. We could easily be 29-13 and at least 11-7 or 12-6 in the league and then we are not just talking about hosting but a possible national seed. We are winning right now in spite of our coaching. I think Cann (if he would have been focused) could have easily won 40 games again this season with another super or more. But in the end if we get a Tadlock, Schlossnagle, or McDonnell we would have upgraded our coaching with very little down time.

Cool the jets. At least until after the draft. We lose 5 of the 7 guys that pitched this weekend. And that's if small returns. Offensively, we just lose mangum to speak of but our offense is bad and needs some instant help to be competive. Like lots of it. And thats assuming Stovall doesn't sign for a cup of coffee. Cws isn't a realistic goal w what we have coming back. Not really close.

Bulldog1
04-23-2018, 09:45 PM
Probably a long shot, but I consider JT Ginn an instant game changer if he makes it to campus.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-23-2018, 10:18 PM
That makes sense. I thought it seemed kind of odd considering he didn't touch over 96 until then.
The dude that came in after the starter got up to 102 on the stadium gun. I'm sure it was hot but he was still throwing fireballs up there.

ETA: on Friday night

Bulldog1
04-23-2018, 10:20 PM
The dude that came in after the starter got up to 102 on the stadium gun. I'm sure it was hot but he was still throwing fireballs up there.

Dang. I missed that.

dawgs
04-24-2018, 01:08 AM
Cool the jets. At least until after the draft. We lose 5 of the 7 guys that pitched this weekend. And that's if small returns. Offensively, we just lose mangum to speak of but our offense is bad and needs some instant help to be competive. Like lots of it. And thats assuming Stovall doesn't sign for a cup of coffee. Cws isn't a realistic goal w what we have coming back. Not really close.

If we are half as good of a baseball program as we think we are, then CWS should never be that far away from realistic expectations.

Dawg61
04-24-2018, 01:41 AM
If we are half as good of a baseball program as we think we are, then CWS should never be that far away from realistic expectations.

Just Marketing being Marketing. Nobody is more optimistic across the board in every sport as the Marketing man. 6 NBA draft picks!

Homedawg
04-24-2018, 08:54 AM

Well maybe we aren't that elite. But even if we are I don't see how looking at what we have returning one can think that we are close to the Cws. The draft is obviously important. Barring some miracle we will lose 4 guys for sure. That's expected and a chance you have to take. It's the guys after those that are so important to keep.

99jc
04-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Just Marketing being Marketing. Nobody is more optimistic across the board in every sport as the Marketing man. 6 NBA draft picks!

If he would have said football i would have agreed.

99jc
04-24-2018, 10:39 AM
Nm