PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Game Thread (anybody care?)

confucius say
04-18-2018, 06:23 PM
Lineup?

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 06:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbGJkjWVMAEh7cN?format=jpg
Y'all please update the score every once in a while. I'm watching the Braves game.

Goldendawg
04-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Can't find it on WatchESPN. Is it streaming anywhere?

SailingDawg
04-18-2018, 06:40 PM

Just about to ask myself, likely not being at Memphis.

PassInterference
04-18-2018, 06:41 PM
Nagh.

Maroonthirteen
04-18-2018, 06:44 PM
As the Memphis pitcher was warming up before the 1st, Billy Squiers stroke was playing.

Damn that is hilarious. State must have a guy in the press box.

BuckyIsAB****
04-18-2018, 06:54 PM
As the Memphis pitcher was warming up before the 1st, Billy Squiers stroke was playing.

Damn that is hilarious. State must have a guy in the press box.

Thats pretty badass actually

Dawg61
04-18-2018, 07:22 PM

No, neutral site or away non-conference games are never streamed/televised. We haven't figured out how to make cameras portable yet. Maybe by the year 2050 we'll get it figured out.

Activated Alpha
04-18-2018, 07:24 PM
Looks like our guys don't care either. Down 2-0 b4

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 07:24 PM
No, neutral site or away non-conference games are never streamed/televised. We haven't figured out how to make cameras portable yet. Maybe by the year 2050 we'll get it figured out.

Lol.

Maroonthirteen
04-18-2018, 07:30 PM

For what it is worth, you aren?t missing anything.

Their pitcher is doing a good job of mixing up pitches. We are off balance and haven?t squared up but a few pitches that landed foul.

They are squaring up a lot of pitches. We are lucky it is 0-2. They just missed a homer in the 3 and hammered a few others at fielders.

Oh and almost to a man, they are bigger than we are.

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Yea, I'm glad I'm missing this embarrassment.

Todd4State
04-18-2018, 07:38 PM
For what it is worth, you aren?t missing anything.

Their pitcher is doing a good job of mixing up pitches. We are off balance and haven?t squared up but a few pitches that landed foul.

They are squaring up a lot of pitches. We are lucky it is 0-2. They just missed a homer in the 3 and hammered a few others at fielders.

Oh and almost to a man, they are bigger than we are.

Cann obviously wasn't paying attention to what our S&C wasn't doing either while he was sexting. Our S&C is a complete fail and why we look smaller than everyone else and that needs to be addressed in the offseason.

Skydawg1
04-18-2018, 07:43 PM
Same here. Was seriously considering making the trip. I did go to the Biloxi debacle. And by debacle, I mean they only were serving domestic swill, and it was still $7 a can/plastic cup.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2018, 07:45 PM
I actually liked the lineup Henderson put out there today other than Foscue not being in it, but nothing going so far.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-18-2018, 07:48 PM
Baseball season ended Sunday when they brought in Cole Gordon.... hopefully Cohen hires a good coach.

Maroonthirteen
04-18-2018, 07:52 PM
Same here. Was seriously considering making the trip. I did go to the Biloxi debacle. And by debacle, I mean they only were serving domestic swill, and it was still $7 a can/plastic cup.

$8.50 here But I enjoy domestic swill. Cause I’m from Merica damn it. Hahahaha!

Red Sox Dawg
04-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Who is Memphis playing?**

Skydawg1
04-18-2018, 07:55 PM
$8.50 here But I enjoy domestic swill. Cause I’m from Merica damn it. Hahahaha!I was just miffed b/c they usually serve the good Gulf Coast beers at MGM, like Chandeleur and Biloxi Brewing. I'll be at the TP tomorrow for Thursty Thurstday, though.

parabrave
04-18-2018, 08:01 PM
$8.50 here But I enjoy domestic swill. Cause I’m from Merica damn it. Hahahaha!

Can't beat the sausage dogs st MGM. Was at the Shuckers opener talked to Riley a bit. Good kid.

parabrave
04-18-2018, 08:04 PM
Good job Stoval. 2-1 now.

Ari Gold
04-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Looks like our guys don't care either. Down 2-0 b4

Better be careful with statements like this... apparently if you question the heart of this team , Mommas, sisters, daddies, girlfriends all run to thier defense on Twitter.

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Ugghh

Bully13
04-18-2018, 08:18 PM
this is total bullshit if we don't score on this shit. God I hate this shit. total shit.

Bully13
04-18-2018, 08:19 PM
17 me in the ass with a red hot poker.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2018, 08:20 PM
2-1 dogs trail after a triple from Allen and a double by Stovall. We had 1st and 2nd with 0 outs and don't bunt the runners over. We strike out, fly out, and line out and leave them stranded. Gotta play small ball with this team.

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 08:20 PM
this is total bullshit if we don't score on this shit. God I hate this shit. total shit.

What's happening? I'm not watching.

Maroonthirteen
04-18-2018, 08:23 PM
17 me in the ass with a red hot poker.

Gilbert absolutely smoked that pitch too. Just hit it right at the 3B. It was a shot. 2ft towards 3B line and it is by 3B for at least a double. LF was playing over towards center.

Bully13
04-18-2018, 08:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbxlqGXQeEM&t=63s

Maroonthirteen
04-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Alexa Treka, a .228 hitter steps into the box. Looking for the cycle.

....and he just missed it. Alexa is 4-4 with a homer double single and a double. Have a night Alexa.

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Down 6-1. Losing to a Memphis team that has like a .250 winning % on the year!

Skydawg1
04-18-2018, 08:49 PM
Down 6-1. Losing to a Memphis team that has like a .250 winning % on the year!Hendo doing werk while the IB is in the box with Jim. IB still "believes" in Hendo. Maybe not so much after tonight. Not that that guy's gonna get a sniff at the job anyway, nor does he want a shot at it. That part is pretty damn OBV.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2018, 08:51 PM
That spot where we brought in Liebelt is where we should be using Gordon not on SEC weekends. Also, good job by Memphis bunting in the same spot we didn't bunt. Not that it matters, but this is a really, really bad loss. They are 12-25.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Hendo doing werk while the IB is in the box with Jim. IB still "believes" in Hendo. Maybe not so much after tonight. Not that that guy's gonna get a sniff at the job anyway, nor does he want a shot at it. That part is pretty damn OBV.

Henderson was bunting in the first inning with our 2 hole earlier in the season. Tonight, down 2-1 with runners at 1st and 2nd and 0 outs, we don't bunt. Just really strange. We sweep AU if we lay down 2 bunts and bring in Neff instead of Gordon.

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 08:55 PM
Henderson is stealing a paycheck from us. Talk about robbery.

Leroy Jenkins
04-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Hendersoning

Bully13
04-18-2018, 08:57 PM
17 this season. I'm pro-life but this is nothing but a coat hanger late term abortion of a season. 17 this shit. this is pure bullshit. 17 me. 17 this season. Cohen do work. 17 Hendo. he can go 17 himself, I don't care how good uh pitching coach he is. 17 that dumbass. and yea, I'm pissed right now. please excuse me.

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 08:59 PM
17 this season. I'm pro-life but this is nothing but a coat hanger late term abortion of a season. 17 this shit. this is pure bullshit. 17 me. 17 this season. Cohen do work. 17 Hendo. he can go 17 himself, I don't care how good uh pitching coach he is. 17 that dumbass. and yea, I'm pissed right now. please excuse me.

But......... But............. HENDERSON-ING!!!

msstate7
04-18-2018, 09:00 PM
This year started as a huge embarrassment to our storied program. Henderson has continued the embarrassment. Cohen's legacy is tied to Moorhead and this upcoming baseball hire.

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 09:02 PM
This year started as a huge embarrassment to our storied program. Henderson has continued the embarrassment. Cohen's legacy is tied to Moorhead and this upcoming baseball hire.

We've got to reel in an elite coach to right the ship. Hopefully we do.

Red Sox Dawg
04-18-2018, 09:10 PM

I laughed. Hey man, we know how you feel. Just poured me 3 fingers of Woodford. Have a drink and relax. This team is not going to wake up tomorrow and go on a long win streak, not gonna happen. MSU baseball won't be fixed until after this season. I just try to think how I would feel if a player was my son. I just can't hate on them. They are Dawgs. I feel your pain.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2018, 09:18 PM
I laughed. Hey man, we know how you feel. Just poured me 3 fingers of Woodford. Have a drink and relax. This team is not going to wake up tomorrow and go on a long win streak, not gonna happen. MSU baseball won't be fixed until after this season. I just try to think how I would feel if a player was my son. I just can't hate on them. They are Dawgs. I feel your pain.

got a lot of pitching to replace next season

Bully13
04-18-2018, 09:20 PM

you good bro, no need to apologize. you good. I'm just pissed off right now. this shit just sux ass right now and it's not deserved IMO. I'm just mad. end of story. I won't Hendo in prison without a rope and I want Cohen to be upset. as he should be. let's fix this shit. NOW!!

Red Sox Dawg
04-18-2018, 09:25 PM
got a lot of pitching to replace next season

Yep, we will have to replace a lot of pitching, we need a catcher, and some more hitting. What I meant was we can't fix all of that until we fix the coaching situation at the end of the season.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2018, 09:26 PM
We've got 6 freshman position players that look promising: Allen, Westburg, Hatcher, Jordan, Foscue and Anderson. Crazy that we don't have any freshman pitchers. Maybe Small will come back for 1 more year and we can get some of these signees in school.

Red Sox Dawg
04-18-2018, 09:27 PM
you good bro, no need to apologize. you good. I'm just pissed off right now. this shit just sux ass right now and it's not deserved IMO. I'm just mad. end of story. I won't Hendo in prison without a rope and I want Cohen to be upset. as he should be. let's fix this shit. NOW!!

No worries, just trying to help keep you from blowing a gasket. Carry on.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Yep, we will have to replace a lot of pitching, we need a catcher, and some more hitting. What I meant was we can't fix all of that until we fix the coaching situation at the end of the season.

Hayden Jones and Luke Hancock are 2 promising catcher prospects and both should be in Starkville next fall. Maybe we can find a grad transfer pitcher like France to help ease the losses.

Red Sox Dawg
04-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Our pitching has been decimated by Tommy John. I've never seen so many arm injuries. We have had bad luck pitching for 2 years. It's time for that to change. We need some big arms to come to school.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2018, 09:35 PM
Our pitching has been decimated by Tommy John. I've never seen so many arm injuries. We have had bad luck pitching for 2 years. It's time for that to change. We need some big arms to come to school.

Carter Stewart, Cole Winn, and JT Ginn are big time arms. Stewart and Winn are 100% going pro. Maybe we can keep Ginn. I'm not sure if any of the other guys are going to be ready for SEC weekends.

Skydawg1
04-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Wes Johnson is Arkansas problem now. It might happen, but I really don't see a rash of TJ's in our future. Cohen now knows how badly he ****ed up not just with Cann, but with letting Hendo take over. Listening tonight, he was about ready to jump out of that broadcast booth and relieve GH. We can trust Cohen for one more hire...and it better be a National Title, slam dunk type of hire. The New Dude is a HUGE bargaining chip... so let us not think ANY coach is out or reach.

Red Sox Dawg
04-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Carter Stewart, Cole Winn, and JT Ginn are big time arms. Stewart and Winn are 100% going pro. Maybe we can keep Ginn. I'm not sure if any of the other guys are going to be ready for SEC weekends.

Yeah, I think Ginn is probably the only one to make it to campus. The new coach will have to be a magician for a couple of years with the pitching staff he will inherit. Good news is if it is a "home run" hire it won't take him long.

Pit Bull
04-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Can verify everything Maroonthirteen said....we looked like smurfs running around compared to Memphis players. Their starting pitcher had a 5.0 era to start the game....when he was taken out around the 6th, his era had dropped to 4.5 Nothing like mowing down MSU batters to help your era. We barely got a few ground balls past the pitchers mound until the top of the 7th. We have a few promising freshmen getting some PT, but other than that....we are woeful. I don't know how in the hell we even beat Ole Miss AT ALL. I've been watching MSU baseball since 1974 and this is the worse team I have ever seen. We may have had a worse record, but not a worse team. Even if we hired Buck Showalter, it's gonna take a couple years to turn this mess around.....unless we go out and sign a bunch of JUCO All American power hitters until we can start bringing in high schoolers who can get the job done.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I think Ginn is probably the only one to make it to campus. The new coach will have to be a magician for a couple of years with the pitching staff he will inherit. Good news is if it is a "home run" hire it won't take him long.

I agree with Todd that we need to really get away from Juco recruiting. I'm ok with maybe 1 a year if he's a MS kid. So let's get out of that Juco rut and start stacking up some classes. That's one of the things I like about McDonnel, he doesn't recruit jucos. There are plenty of kids in MS, AL, GA, and TN to field championship caliber baseball teams.

BeardoMSU
04-18-2018, 10:09 PM

Bully be like**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtvnVxc2Khk

Todd4State
04-18-2018, 10:10 PM
We've got to reel in an elite coach to right the ship. Hopefully we do.

We need more than an elite coach- we need an elite staff.

I think most of this falls on Cohen to be honest and it comes down to we have been taking way too many shortcuts to try to stay at a high level and while some of those shortcuts worked short term it's all coming back to roost now.

1. Bringing in way too many JUCO's and having a coach that evaluated them poorly. We need to get back to recruiting mostly high school players and we need to start to try to develop our own players rather than rely on JUCO coaches to develop them for us. The thing about it is there is zero reason for us to have to rely on them so heavily. Here's an example- Tim Tadlock is a former JUCO coach so you would think that he would be fairly sympathetic to JUCO players. He currently has six on his entire roster- one who started out at TCU. MSU has six in our current class alone. And unless Vansau and MacNamee are cut I fully expect them back next year and then you add in the JUCO pitchers assuming no one is cut in the offseason which I admit is a stretch but stay with me here- and we're talking about around 10 JUCO players out of 35 on the entire roster. When 25-30% of your team is JUCO players that's not good. We need someone that will find a guy like a Brent Rooker, a Hunter Renfroe, or a player with a comparable build and develop them over a period of 3-4 years.

2. We didn't realize that Wes Johnson was accelerating his program too quickly and it cost us a lot of arms. Velocity is a good quality to have but it much be done correctly. We need to go back to that type of program but instead of rushing through it we need to do it properly because what we are doing right now is limiting the ceiling of our pitchers. And that's not that good either.

3. We took a chance on Cann and unfortunately that blew up in our face. Not a lot anyone could do about it. Had we used Henderson as an interim last year though, we could have done a more proper search and gotten a much safer and qualified head coach which is essentially what we are trying to do now. Hindsight is 20/20.

4. We need to have better balance in our classes. I think some of that is from taking too many JUCO's that don't work out. When that happens, you have to play freshmen. We need to start trying to stack classes of about 15 high school players that get through the draft and process as necessary. If it works out you have every position covered with a veteran player and only the most talented younger players start. What we're doing is essentially the same thing that Jackie did with football. We simply can not afford to have a class with literally no high school pitchers in it like we did with our current group of freshmen. And the class before had almost no position players other than a catcher.

5. We need to hire the best baseball S&C guy. It seems to me like he gets his ass in gear after we have a losing season. And I'm pretty sure having a poor S&C program was a factor in our pitchers getting hurt as well. This is the main reason why we look "small". Because it's sure not a height issue.

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 10:11 PM
We need a staff with elite scout connections too.

Todd4State
04-18-2018, 10:13 PM
I agree with Todd that we need to really get away from Juco recruiting. I'm ok with maybe 1 a year if he's a MS kid. So let's get out of that Juco rut and start stacking up some classes. That's one of the things I like about McDonnel, he doesn't recruit jucos. There are plenty of kids in MS, AL, GA, and TN to field championship caliber baseball teams.

We need to continue to get the best in Mississippi and the surrounding area. And then fill in with players from California, Florida, Georgia, and Texas. Sort of like football Louisiana is a sort of underrated area. I think Missouri and North Carolina are also underrated areas as well. Vandy has gotten a few guys from New England that are elite also.

Todd4State
04-18-2018, 10:16 PM

Absolutely! And an elite pitching coach.

In a perfect world you would have:

1. An elite pitching coach that is like a Derek Johnson who was at Vandy before going to MLB.
2. A coach with big time scouting connections.
3. A coach that can evaluate and project talent well.

Number three is a quality that could apply to 1 and 2 since we're only allowed to put two assistants on the road at any time.

Our head coach needs to be someone that has a good knowledge of advanced analytics and also has good baseball intuition.

Bulldog1
04-18-2018, 10:19 PM
Absolutely! And an elite pitching coach.

In a perfect world you would have:

1. An elite pitching coach that is like a Derek Johnson who was at Vandy before going to MLB.
2. A coach with big time scouting connections.
3. A coach that can evaluate and project talent well.

Number three is a quality that could apply to 1 and 2 since we're only allowed to put two assistants on the road at any time.

Our head coach needs to be someone that has a good knowledge of advanced analytics and also has good baseball intuition.

My big thing is a great hitting coach. I'm tired of this Punch and Judy garbage. How about some power!

HoopsDawg
04-18-2018, 10:24 PM
My big thing is a great hitting coach. I'm tired of this Punch and Judy garbage. How about some power!

Dan Heefner baby. He is an awesome hitting coach.

BeardoMSU
04-18-2018, 10:26 PM

Does Cann have a twin brother? Shit...or sister?

Red Sox Dawg
04-18-2018, 10:33 PM

I would stay away from Juco pitching too unless they just are too good to pass up. That doesn't happen very often. If we are going to stack up HS arms we can't just go after the Elite arms only, too many are real draft risks. We have to identify and sign guys that have good solid HS careers that can grow into a SEC pitcher. Top level HS pitchers that grow and get better will stock your staff with quality arms. Then it's up to the coach to develop them. Just too much risk in trying to bring in too many Elite arms. If you can get 1 Elite arm every year or two, and stack up good quality HS arms every year you can have a top staff. You can win with good pitching.

Todd4State
04-18-2018, 10:50 PM

I agree and that's where the scouting connections and also probably more relevantly the being able to project and develop part comes in. It's also where not having half of your lineup being freshmen comes in. It's where S&C come in as well.

Hitting is probably the most difficult thing to do in the world and if you don't have the talent to hit well it probably won't matter much if Ted Williams is your hitting coach. You're still not going to be able to hit well. And if you are not able to generate enough bat speed it also won't matter either.

I think it really comes down to God given talent more than anything because really aside from that there is only so much anyone can do to help someone reach their God given ceiling and it starts to become almost more about trouble shooting and looking for tendencies than anything.

Todd4State
04-18-2018, 10:56 PM
I would stay away from Juco pitching too unless they just are too good to pass up. That doesn't happen very often. If we are going to stack up HS arms we can't just go after the Elite arms only, too many are real draft risks. We have to identify and sign guys that have good solid HS careers that can grow into a SEC pitcher. Top level HS pitchers that grow and get better will stock your staff with quality arms. Then it's up to the coach to develop them. Just too much risk in trying to bring in too many Elite arms. If you can get 1 Elite arm every year or two, and stack up good quality HS arms every year you can have a top staff. You can win with good pitching.

I actually think that JUCO can be a decent resource for us at certain things. I think we could find at least one good catch and throw third catcher type that is a baseball gym rat that can help our pitchers in the bullpen, handle pitchers well, and essentially be a good leader type of guy who is a big time MSU fan in the JUCO ranks. I think we can find some good sidearm/submarine relief pitchers like Ryan Rigby in the JUCO ranks and those can be valuable in college. We can find those types of players in MS JUCO's and maybe even some pinch hit/pinch run type guys too and we might be able to get a lot of them to walk-on. The problem is we try to make guys that have a ceiling as role players and try to make them into starting players.

I do agree with everything you said though.