PDA

View Full Version : Has the South Carolina game officially moved into the winnable game category??

RC3
10-07-2013, 09:01 AM
SSIA

DownwardDawg
10-07-2013, 09:07 AM
I have it in the possible category.

bocfarm
10-07-2013, 09:12 AM
20% chance imo...one of the toughest places to play in the sec

Red Sox Dawg
10-07-2013, 09:16 AM
I think we can win it if everything goes our way.

C222
10-07-2013, 09:18 AM
No

slickdawg
10-07-2013, 09:21 AM
We knocked their starting QB out, 4th and forever, backup comes in ice cold and throws a TD to win it.

If we don't see significant improvement in the secondary, it's gonna be a mess. And if Tyler plays one down, Jadeveon Clowney will severely injure if not kill him.

Coach34
10-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Not sure if we can pull it off- but we should give them a good game.

SignalToNoise
10-07-2013, 09:22 AM
I think we can win it if everything goes our way.

In other words, no, since our team is full of pussies and one missed field goal results in the complete and total derailment of our momentum. \

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Much better chance than LSU ever was. Also a better chance than Bama

bluelightstar
10-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Winnable but probably lose by 10+

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Definitely our best shot out of A&M, Bama, and USC, by far. I think we can make it a 4 quarter game, but we will have to show up for the 4th quarter, and we haven't seemed to know how to do that lately.

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 09:37 AM
This thread is obvious that none of you have watched USC this year

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 09:39 AM

I agree. If this was a home game, I would call for us to upset them at this point. But on the road....I think it will take a big defensive or special teams TD or something like that to win it. Probably a 10 point loss if I had to predict right now.

C222
10-07-2013, 09:44 AM

I have. Several games. We won't with there.

ChupacabraDawg
10-07-2013, 09:48 AM
I think its definitely a possibility. They are not better than LSU and we had every opportunity through 3 quarters to beat LSU. Better play from our secondary and we win that game.

SheltonChoked
10-07-2013, 09:51 AM
I like our chances much better for 2 reasons.

1) We are playing much better, abd seem to be improving week by week. Our Freshmen (Chris Jones and Bear Wilson in particular) are special and figuring it out.

2) Injuries at South Carolina have changed that team. They had National Championship dreams that have been dashed. Clowney is playing (or not playing) for his NFL future. I think he has shut it down to ensure his millions as a healthy #1 pick.

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 09:51 AM
- they beat a 1-4 UNC team 27-10 at home. The Tar Heels are a train wreck this year.
- they lost 41-30 on the road at UGA
- they beat Vandy at home 35-25. I've watched every Vandy game, they are not good.
- they beat UCF 28-25 on the road. UCF is not that good. Barely beat Memphis Saturday.
- They beat UK 35-28 at home. UK is terrible and kept it a TD game.

The common theme in USC is that they jump on opponents early and then fade the rest of the game. They are not the juggernaut you guys think they are.

Any of you folks looked at their schedule? Probably not. They are about to start a 2 game road trip before returning home. At UT, at Mizzou, then MSU. The UT game will be close. Mizzou is going to beat them. Their next game after us is UF at home after an open date.

The mighty Clowney? This year he has 2 sacks and 3 TFL . For reference Preston Smith has 2 and 4. Anyway, Clowney is playing with an injury that will require surgery after the season. Not the same player.

Scoring offense-9th in the SEC. Scoring defense-10th in SEC. They are a good football team but ya'll acting like they are elite havent been paying attention this year.

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 09:53 AM

That's deep man

C222
10-07-2013, 09:58 AM
That's deep man

The question was asked if we have a chance to beat them. Some said no. Then you call those people out that said "no" accusing of us of not knowing anything about SC. I bet you think we have a chance against A&M too because they only beat Arkansas by 11, right?

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't care how doom and gloom everyone gets, USCe is a toss up game. LSU has the best skill position players in the country. If someone wants to challenge that, go look around, I'll wait. We had an NFL QB making NFL throws to NFL WRs. MSU nor any other team in the country has or will stop them.

Getting 59 hung on us sucks. No other team on the schedule will do that. The fact of the matter is that UK and Arky are should win games. USC and Ole Miss are toss ups. Bama is a slim chance but better chance than LSU. I promise y'all, the USC game will be a close one we can win.

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 10:03 AM
The question was asked if we have a chance to beat them. Some said no. Then you call those people out that said "no" accusing of us of not knowing anything about SC. I bet you think we have a chance against A&M too because they only beat Arkansas by 11, right?

You can't make any serious correlations from 1 game. You can on a bunch though. Regarding A&M, I'd say their performance as whole this year says they have major defensive problems. We will be able to score on them.

I've given good reasons. You do the same. What about USC makes it a "no chance to win".

Coach 57
10-07-2013, 10:04 AM
I agree with Beast on this one too. They aren't THAT much better than us. We CAN win that game.

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 10:07 AM

Sorry but I just don't believe you. I have watched every one of their games and am not impressed. The only one I was, was UNC but they have turned out to be a disaster. There is no way you could have watched USC this year and think they are unbeatable.

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 10:20 AM
This^

However, I do not like that our game with them will be their first home game after 3 straight on the road, and also a week before their bye week, so we will not be overlooked in any way and the crowd will be wild. It is before their game against Florida, but like I said, that is two weeks after they play us so it shouldn't be in their minds.

If we turn the ball over, they will blow us out. But if we don't allow their defense to score points and create opportunities for their offense with a short field, I like our chances to at least take it to the wire.

bluelightstar
10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I have watched South Carolina 4 times, and though I did not walk away impressed any time, I also didn't walk away saying, "yeah this is a team Dan Mullen can beat on the road."

hometowndawg
10-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Sunshine pumping out of this thread

C222
10-07-2013, 10:29 AM

Haha Yep. The argument is, "I have watched them, we can beat them!!" Has anyone watched us play?

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Haha Yep. The argument is, "I have watched them, we can beat them!!" Has anyone watched us play?

No that wasn't the argument. I mentioned their scores, schedule, and clowney. I have much more. Part of the reason I think we have a chance vs them is based on how we play. Some games better fit what we do well. The example of a bad matchup is Mett and LSU's WRs vs our secondary.

Maroon Diapers
10-07-2013, 10:38 AM
-
Any of you folks looked at their schedule? Probably not. They are about to start a 2 game road trip before returning home. At UT, at Mizzou, then MSU. The UT game will be close. Mizzou is going to beat them. Their next game after us is UF at home after an open date.

I hope Mizzou does beat them since we can't beat teams ranked in the top 25. But I don't see that happening. We'll keep it close and tease ourselves til the 4th and then blow it. Arky UK and OM are all must win.

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Dont be short sighted. I'm pessimistic by nature and call a spade a spade. The difference is that I have researched every single SEC team and I think USC is showing signs of vulnerability. Preseason MSU fans saw LSU, Bama, USC, and A&M as our big 4 elite match-ups. I think any rational person would say that USC does not belong in that group right now. I'm pointing that out with actual points. Nowhere did I say we go in there and win. If you call that sunshine pumping, you are just trying to be internet cool

engie
10-07-2013, 10:43 AM
It's taking everyone awhile -- but their eyes are finally starting to open to the "real" Mizzou that I told everyone was coming.

That isn't an elite/powerhouse program, but is a legit 7-10 win program basically every year and should never, ever be marked as a W on a schedule like it was by practically every OM fan I know. I damn sure wouldn't want to play them right now...

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 10:43 AM
I hope Mizzou does beat them since we can't beat teams ranked in the top 25. But I don't see that happening. We'll keep it close and tease ourselves til the 4th and then blow it. Arky UK and OM are all must win.

I don't disagree with that. I agree that Arky, UK, and OM are all must wins but it sure would be nice to steal one somewhere else. USC's problem this year is that they crumble in the 2nd half every game. The only game they have covered is week 1 vs UNC who we now know is garbage. They just beat UK by 7 points in Columbia and our fans are saying we have no shot. I just don't agree with that.

DogBanker
10-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I called before the year we'd upset LSU, Bama, or SC. We hung in close with LSU, who has a damn good offense. Bama doesn't have much of an offense but their defense is good, it'll be a fairly close game. Then you get to SC. They barely beat UCF, as previously said. They do not look impressive to me throwing the ball. They break long runs a lot of times, shut that down and you give yourself a chance. We will beat these guys.

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 10:46 AM
It's taking everyone awhile -- but their eyes are finally starting to open to the "real" Mizzou that I told everyone was coming.

That isn't an elite/powerhouse program, but is a legit 7-10 win program basically every year and should never, ever be marked as a W on a schedule like it was by practically every OM fan I know. I damn sure wouldn't want to play them right now...

Top rushing attack in the SEC. They pose major problems. When you look at how weak the east is, there really isn't a game they can't win, particularly with UGA rash of injuries. They won't win them all but they are a legit threat to win 8-9 games this year. The trip to Oxford is looking more and more like a potential win for them.

ChupacabraDawg
10-07-2013, 10:46 AM
I don't care how doom and gloom everyone gets, USCe is a toss up game. LSU has the best skill position players in the country. If someone wants to challenge that, go look around, I'll wait. We had an NFL QB making NFL throws to NFL WRs. MSU nor any other team in the country has or will stop them.

Getting 59 hung on us sucks. No other team on the schedule will do that. The fact of the matter is that UK and Arky are should win games. USC and Ole Miss are toss ups. Bama is a slim chance but better chance than LSU. I promise y'all, the USC game will be a close one we can win.

you forget about playing at Ta&m but I agree, we should win UK and Ark. Ole Miss and USC are winnable as well. We have to change this doom and gloom garbage. Being down about a loss doesn't help anything. You get up, dust off, and move on.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't disagree with that. I agree that Arky, UK, and OM are all must wins but it sure would be nice to steal one somewhere else. USC's problem this year is that they crumble in the 2nd half every game. The only game they have covered is week 1 vs UNC who we now know is garbage. They just beat UK by 7 points in Columbia and our fans are saying we have no shot. I just don't agree with that.
I think you meant to say "MSU's problem"

bocfarm
10-07-2013, 10:48 AM
I just want to beat Bowling Green and worry ab the others later. We're only a 10 point favorite coming off a physical beat down game

C222
10-07-2013, 10:49 AM
No that wasn't the argument. I mentioned their scores, schedule, and clowney. I have much more. Part of the reason I think we have a chance vs them is based on how we play. Some games better fit what we do well. The example of a bad matchup is Mett and LSU's WRs vs our secondary.

UNC game was the first of the season. They didn't play great. Still won by 17.
The dominated Vandy early and let them back in the game in the 4th.
UCF game, they didn't have Shaw.
UK game, they didn't have Clowney. Whether or not his #'s are good, he still affects the game. (Only game of theirs I have not seen).
Their only loss was at UGA. One of the best teams in the country.

I would say our Defenses are equal, but their Offense is better. Jeremy Hill put 157 on us. You don't think Mike Davis is as good as Hill?

They are at home. When was the last time we went on the road and beat a good SEC team?

They have a better record. They have played better teams.

Am I still allowed to think we can't win there??

C222
10-07-2013, 10:52 AM

WE DO TOO.

RougeDawg
10-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Prior to the season most people thought USC would be a potential East representative in Atlanta and LSU would be down. Nobody really expectd LSU to have such a potent and balanced offense this year. On the other hand USC is lot what people thought they were. They haven't exactly beaten any great teams this year.

Based on our talent, I think we can beat them. Based on our coaching and in game adjustments I don't see us winning any games like this unless we have a Defense/Special Teams TD in the 2nd half to spark energy levels. We do not know how to finish games and that mentality comes from the top down. Dans attitude is portrayed throughout our team, late in close games. That's what im sick of seeing.

SignalToNoise
10-07-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm still down over this past weekend.

Just don't think this group is good enough to go on the road to a place like Columbia and win a game. I don't make excuses if I'm wrong; I'll come on here and eat my crow.

Do I think SC will shellack us? Naw, not saying that. We can give them a good game, but I just don't think this group can win an SEC road game in a place like Columbia just yet.

C222
10-07-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm still down over this past weekend.

Just don't think this group is good enough to go on the road to a place like Columbia and win a game. I don't make excuses if I'm wrong; I'll come on here and eat my crow.

Do I think SC will shellack us? Naw, not saying that. We can give them a good game, but I just don't think this group can win an SEC road game in a place like Columbia just yet.

I agree. I don't think we can win there. I would love to be wrong. I just hate being asked a question, then getting called out because people don't like the answer.

bluelightstar
10-07-2013, 11:07 AM
I agree. I don't think we can win there. I would love to be wrong. I just hate being asked a question, then getting called out because people don't like the answer.

Exactly this.

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 11:08 AM
UNC game was the first of the season. They didn't play great. Still won by 17.
The dominated Vandy early and let them back in the game in the 4th.
UCF game, they didn't have Shaw.
UK game, they didn't have Clowney. Whether or not his #'s are good, he still affects the game. (Only game of theirs I have not seen).
Their only loss was at UGA. One of the best teams in the country.

I would say our Defenses are equal, but their Offense is better. Jeremy Hill put 157 on us. You don't think Mike Davis is as good as Hill?

They are at home. When was the last time we went on the road and beat a good SEC team?

They have a better record. They have played better teams.

Am I still allowed to think we can't win there??

Now we're cooking. I don't think they have played better teams. That's debatable but it's fairly close. I don't think Mike Davis is as good as Hill. He's good but not that good. USC's offense is not as explosive as last year and to be honest I don't have a solid reason why. My guess is the loss of Ace Sanders not giving them that middle of the field threat but Bruce ellington is still a deep threat on the outside. Shaw missing UCF is not a valid reason to almost lose that game when you have Dylan Thompson right behind him (10 Tds-2INTs). Clowney missing UK is no reason for a 1 TD difference.

Your #1 point I agree with is playing the game at USC is more than likely the difference maker. The reason I like our chances on the road vs USC better than last week is that USC doesn't have an explosive offense. We cannot keep up with big time scoring machines like LSU and A&M. I think we're better suited for a slug-fest with them. When you look at USC statistically, they are middle of the road on everything in conference. Bottom line is that I think we are a better team than anyone they've played this year minus UGA. They haven't taken anyone else to the woodshed so why do we have no shot?

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Prior to the season most people thought USC would be a potential East representative in Atlanta and LSU would be down. Nobody really expectd LSU to have such a potent and balanced offense this year. On the other hand USC is lot what people thought they were. They haven't exactly beaten any great teams this year.

Based on our talent, I think we can beat them. Based on our coaching and in game adjustments I don't see us winning any games like this unless we have a Defense/Special Teams TD in the 2nd half to spark energy levels. We do not know how to finish games and that mentality comes from the top down. Dans attitude is portrayed throughout our team, late in close games. That's what im sick of seeing.

I have to do this. This is what I wrote about LSU preseason in their team preview. I was in the minority but how does this look now?

I fully expect to see that Mettenberger this year leading a much improved offense. It will all start with the OL and LSU returns bookend LT La?el Collins. The right side of the line remains intact. Center is the only spot of mild worry but JR Elliot Parker got plenty of playing time last year. The OL will not be a weakness in 2013. Before I get any further I want to note the importance of FB J.C. Copeland. He?s an emotional leader and an absolute load as a lead blocker and receiver out of the backfield. LSU continues on as RB University and the backfield is loaded again. Even with the status of Jeremy Hill uncertain, Kenny Hilliard and Alfred Blue are both big time backs that can pace the offense. WR is another position of strength. Beckham Jr is big time. Jarvis Landry, Kadrone Boone and James Wright are all good in their own right and combined for 100 receptions and 9 TD?s. I really feel like the average SEC fan is sleeping on the LSU offense this year. I think this year?s team could be the best offense since the Matt Flynn led 2007 squad that averaged 38.6 ppg.

When you look at offense it all hinges on Mettenberger. The SEC is a QB driven league and I think he really asserts himself as one of the best in the conference. He showed flashes last year of his talent, it?s just a matter of him taking the next step and Cam Cameron is the coach that can do it.

SignalToNoise
10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Good call, BeastMan.

RougeDawg
10-07-2013, 11:25 AM
I have to do this. This is what I wrote about LSU preseason in their team preview. I was in the minority but how does this look now?

Was spot on, but most of our fans, including myself didn't think Mett could be this good. He may be the best in the conference now. That's scary, because there's been one position that has kept LSU from winning more crystal balls lately, and it's been the QB position.

On the flip side, everyone thought USCe would be much better than they are this year. I had the LSU game as a possible win if we caught breaks and USC as a most likely loss. Now those predictions have reversed. USC is beatable, but will our coaching decisions/mentality continue to hold back the reins? That's the difference in us winning the Auburn/USC/Ark/UM games and losing on a last second, back of the endzone TD grab.

AROB44
10-07-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't care how doom and gloom everyone gets, USCe is a toss up game. LSU has the best skill position players in the country. If someone wants to challenge that, go look around, I'll wait. We had an NFL QB making NFL throws to NFL WRs. MSU nor any other team in the country has or will stop them. Getting 59 hung on us sucks. No other team on the schedule will do that. The fact of the matter is that UK and Arky are should win games. USC and Ole Miss are toss ups. Bama is a slim chance but better chance than LSU. I promise y'all, the USC game will be a close one we can win.

This +1

BeastMan
10-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Ya, I'll admit that I bought into the USC preseason hype as well but something is just missing there. They aren't playing with that spark this year. UGA was primed to run away with the east but their injury situation has gotten downright scary. It's wild how the East is turning out. As crazy as it sounds, Mizzou is in a nice position to compete

RougeDawg
10-07-2013, 11:38 AM
The only positive thing we have, going into Columbia, is we have 2 games we should win between now and then. We should get some sort of consistency and have some momentum going into USC. Hopefully we can learn from LSU, win 2 and roll into Columbia on a high note. We also have an off week sandwiched in, so we should be able to get some people healthy. LSU is just a damn good team, a team might I add, that Auburn gave them all they wanted at home. Auburn is not a bad team. They have talent.

We have a pretty good team. Just doesn't look like it at times because we have to play 3-4 teams a year, that are filled with, at least 50% of the roster being potential NFL players.

Jack Lambert
10-07-2013, 11:52 AM

They are beatable and there is a conflict going on with the coaches and few of the key players.

SignalToNoise
10-07-2013, 11:54 AM
I totally forgot about the bye week before SC. That helps a lot.

Barking 13
10-07-2013, 12:15 PM
We have all the pieces to the puzzle, we just can't get them all together in the important games...

FlabLoser
10-07-2013, 02:07 PM
You can't make any serious correlations from 1 game. You can on a bunch though. Regarding A&M, I'd say their performance as whole this year says they have major defensive problems. We will be able to score on them.

I've given good reasons. You do the same. What about USC makes it a "no chance to win".

I see our A&M game being similar to the LSU game, which is to say it is winnable if we play VERY well. We have to match their scoring drives with scoring drives of our own. No need to be in a hurry about it either.

It could play out like the LSU game where we are still in the game in the 4th quarter. At that point, we either pull it out, or we make a couple of mistakes and in the blink of an eye they're up another 14-21 point and its a blowout.