PDA

View Full Version : OT: Blue light (from computer, not police cars)

RocketDawg
04-14-2018, 09:47 PM
There are probably some knowlegeable folks here on this subject.

You hear a lot about "blue light" from computer screens and cell phones causing eye fatigue, dry eye, and in (in my case) blurry vision after a few minutes of computer usage. Eyedrops recommended by my ophthalmologist have no effect.

You can buy glasses that supposedly filter the blue light and reduce eye strain. Anybody know if these actually work?

DawgNamedScuba
04-14-2018, 09:58 PM
Rocket,
Here is a site that I have used. They are gaming glasses but they block blue light.
https://gunnar.com/product-category/gaming-eyewear/

I stare at computer screen for about 10 hours a day. It actually helps which shocked me since i thought it would be a waste of money.

yjnkdawg
04-14-2018, 10:01 PM
I bought some off of Amazon a while back. I can't guarantee that they will protect your eyes, but they sure make my eyes feel better and less fatigued and dried out. They have a slight yellowish tint, but just looking at the glasses without them on, I couldn't see it. I almost sent them back until I put them on, and then I could see the tint.

For computers, there is a sotware product called SunsetScreen, which is free, and can also help. Sometimes i use both at the same time, and it seems it has sure helped my vision and the comfort of my eyes.

*Update* The ones I got are also 0.75 Reading Glasses' Strength. Not many reviews, but I purchased these in September of last year, and like I said my eyes have felt a lot better.
Eyekepper Spring Hinges with UV Protection, Anti Blue Rays, Anti Glare and Scratch Resistant Lens Computer Reading Glasses Black +0.75
Eyekepper (https://www.amazon.com/Eyekepper/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_8134727011?ie=UTF8&node=8134727011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Eyekepper)

RocketDawg
04-14-2018, 10:19 PM
I bought some off of Amazon a while back. I can't guarantee that they will protect your eyes, but they sure make my eyes feel better and less fatigued and dried out. They have a slight yellowish tint, but just looking at the glasses without them on, I couldn't see it. I almost sent them back until I put them on, and then I could see the tint.

For computers, there is a sotware product called SunsetScreen, which is free, and can also help. Sometimes i use both at the same time, and it seems it has sure helped my vision and the comfort of my eyes.

*Update* The ones I got are also 0.75 Reading Glasses' Strength. Not many reviews, but I purchased these in September of last year, and like I said my eyes have felt a lot better.
Eyekepper Spring Hinges with UV Protection, Anti Blue Rays, Anti Glare and Scratch Resistant Lens Computer Reading Glasses Black +0.75
Eyekepper (https://www.amazon.com/Eyekepper/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_8134727011?ie=UTF8&node=8134727011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Eyekepper)

Thanks for the info. I already wear glasses so I was looking on Amazon at the clipons (to be really fashionable). Good to hear that they help at least a bit. I'll check the software too.

Edit: Just checked for SunsetScreen, and it looks like it's only available for Windows, and I have a Mac. I guess I'll have to rely totally on the glasses. The good part is I have Prime, so then can be there in a couple of days. Could also check WalMart, Target, or other stores.

RocketDawg
04-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Rocket,
Here is a site that I have used. They are gaming glasses but they block blue light.
https://gunnar.com/product-category/gaming-eyewear/

I stare at computer screen for about 10 hours a day. It actually helps which shocked me since i thought it would be a waste of money.

Yeah, I was thinking they might just be a waste of money too, but sounds like it would at least be worth trying them. Thanks.

yjnkdawg
04-14-2018, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I already wear glasses so I was looking on Amazon at the clipons (to be really fashionable). Good to hear that they help at least a bit. I'll check the software too.

You're welcome. I hope you find something that helps. I know that feeling that you are referring too. On the software you can adjust the k on the light intensity, if you want to. I looked at several different software programs and liked this SunsetScreen one better.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-14-2018, 10:41 PM
I'ts also important to filter out blue light before bed. You know how when the sun's rising and everything get the blue hue? Well that tells our brain that it's time to wake up. Looking at blue light at night causes the same thing. I have a blue light filter after 9 for all my electronics

Bass Chaser
04-15-2018, 04:34 AM
https://support.apple.com/en-us/KM207613?cid=acs::applesearch

dawgoneyall
04-15-2018, 08:08 AM
There are probably some knowlegeable folks here on this subject.

You hear a lot about "blue light" from computer screens and cell phones causing eye fatigue, dry eye, and in (in my case) blurry vision after a few minutes of computer usage. Eyedrops recommended by my ophthalmologist have no effect.

You can buy glasses that supposedly filter the blue light and reduce eye strain. Anybody know if these actually work?

It is not the blue light....its the length of time one goes from blinking every 4-5 seconds (distance ) to blinking only every 14-17 seconds at near.

With normal tear break up time of 20-25 seconds there is not much of a problem..someone with a tbut of 15 seconds or less then the problems begins

Joe Schmedlap
04-15-2018, 09:49 AM
Its multifactoral. All humans blink less when concentrating on a near target, and so the eyes definitely ?dry out?. Use a good artificial tear drop such as Systane Ultra or Systane Balance about 5 minutes before using the computer and it will help. Also, blueblocking tint in a pair of eyeglasses optimized/customized for your intermediate distance will help as well. If a person has no refractive error at all and is not presbyopic, around a 0.75 add with the tint helps as well. I think I?ve heard of computer glasses for millenials called Zen that are supposedly helpful. If you are older than 45 and wear contacts, these computer glasses will help also even if you aren?t a snowflake. Like I said, multifactoral but don?t discount the benefit of a good artificial tear (especially if you wear contact lenses).

It is not the blue light....its the length of time one goes from blinking every 4-5 seconds (distance ) to blinking only every 14-17 seconds at near.

With normal tear break up time of 20-25 seconds there is not much of a problem..someone with a tbut of 15 seconds or less then the problems begins