PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we move Cox to safety and Whitley to the bench?

Jacksondevildog
10-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Its glaringly obvious that Whitley cannot run and support in coverage. He hobbles. I also saw him whiff on some tackles right at him. He's a shell of his former self. He reminds me of Culberson. We tried to make him a safety, but was better when we moved him to OLB. Cox cannot play CB right now. Whitley would be better at OLB than S.

War Machine Dawg
10-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Its glaringly obvious that Whitley cannot run and support in coverage. He hobbles. I also saw him whiff on some tackles right at him. He's a shell of his former self. He reminds me of Culberson. We tried to make him a safety, but was better when we moved him to OLB. Cox cannot play CB right now. Whitley would be better at OLB than S.

I was wondering Saturday night if we'd consider Cox at S. You're spot on about Whitley being a shell of what he was, though. Whitley at LB is a horrible idea, though. His football instincts and IQ are just plain bad. He got away with it pre-injury because of his freak athleticism. But the poor angles he takes and his penchant for being out of position would be even further exposed at LB. And as you pointed out, he's not a great tackler. He's probably the worst guy in the lineup in terms of trying to knock someone down instead of actually wrapping up and tackling.

fishwater99
10-07-2013, 10:03 AM
He cost us 3 touchdowns Saturday.. Whitley needs to sit..

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Hopefully Redmond can get some meaningful snaps against BG and UK, and then he will be ready to go at CB for our next big game. We desperately need more speed and talent in the secondary. With Redmond being the most highly rated CB, I would expect him to be able to come in and take that starting role but who knows. If we had a competent Redmond at CB, and could move Cox to FS, it would immediately improve our secondary 10 fold over what we're doing now. It would also help our depth issues at both positions.

We just have to cover more ground out there especially against LSU, Bama, A&M, etc. and from what I hear, Redmond is fast as shit. As much as I love Jiles, and think he will be great, imagine if we had a good fast corner out there and Cox's speed at FS Saturday, instead of Jiles and Whitley.

Redmond may not be ready to step in immediately, but even if not, the Cox to FS move needs to happen yesterday.

DogBanker
10-07-2013, 10:40 AM
What I was told last weekend during the bye was that Redmond will start. My buddy did not know who's spot he'd take, Love's or Jiles' but that he would start. He said last year the reason we did not run man was because Banks couldn't cover Man to Man. Said but Redmond could do everything Banks could plus some.

I have also wondered why we never played Cox at the position he was an All-American at. It just does not make since and I have been thinking for awhile that we should move Whitley to an outside LB. That's another reason that Arrington did not play last year was because he could not cover, but he can not be any worse then Whitley. I'm ready to see Arrington healthy again, he showed out against OSU

codeDawg
10-07-2013, 10:55 AM
The S position is the only reason we are in the position we are in on D. It's the reason UM killed us in the Egg Bowl, and it's the reason LSU did what they did. It's not just a weakness, it is a huge problem that will lose more games for us.

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 10:55 AM
What I was told last weekend during the bye was that Redmond will start. My buddy did not know who's spot he'd take, Love's or Jiles' but that he would start. He said last year the reason we did not run man was because Banks couldn't cover Man to Man. Said but Redmond could do everything Banks could plus some.

I have also wondered why we never played Cox at the position he was an All-American at. It just does not make since and I have been thinking for awhile that we should move Whitley to an outside LB. That's another reason that Arrington did not play last year was because he could not cover, but he can not be any worse then Whitley. I'm ready to see Arrington healthy again, he showed out against OSU

Well, first off, if Redmond starts it will be over Jiles, not Love. And to say Banks couldn't cover man to man is silly since he is starting in the NFL. And the reason Fox is not playing FS is because we are inexperienced at CB, so Collins was trying to make us a better defense. That's why many of us are saying that if Redmond is as advertised, it could immediately allow us to move some guys around and improve our secondary.

BankerDog
10-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Just relaying the message that was told to me by a redshirt freshman defensive lineman who is playing this year...

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Just relaying the message that was told to me by a redshirt freshman defensive lineman who is playing this year...

No Im not doubting that was said at all...Im just saying that sounds like something Chris Wilson told everybody. And Banks isnt as good as Slay at man to man, but he wasnt as bad as Chris Wilson acted.

I appreciate your info.

HIGHDOG
10-07-2013, 12:24 PM
cox can't be any worse...jmho...tom

maroonmania
10-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Given the difficulty Whitley has had coming back from the achilles injury I'm now very worried about whether Jay Hughes will ever be right again.

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Given the difficulty Whitley has had coming back from the achilles injury I'm now very worried about whether Jay Hughes will ever be right again.

Not trying to put a man down....but I seem to think Jay Hughes has a lot more "give a damn" in him than Nickoe. But I may be wrong.

I hope Jay comes back strong, I like that guy