PDA

View Full Version : 1 run vs Auburn

Dawg61
04-14-2018, 11:39 AM
we are the worst hitting team in the history of MSU. How can a school with Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro as alumni field this bunch of slappers? Whose teaching our players how to hit? The soccer team?

Bulldog1
04-14-2018, 11:42 AM
We've got to move Pilkington out of the Friday slot.

CadaverDawg
04-14-2018, 11:48 AM
We've got to move Pilkington out of the Friday slot.

Yep

confucius say
04-14-2018, 11:56 AM
We cannot hit, but we were facing the likely number 1 overall pick last night in Mize. Hopefully we can score some runs today.

And Yes on moving pilk. It gives us the best chance to win a series. Hindu will never do it though. Incapable of thinking outside the box.

Dawg61
04-14-2018, 12:02 PM
We cannot hit, but we were facing the likely number 1 overall pick last night in Mize. Hopefully we can score some runs today.

And Yes on moving pilk. It gives us the best chance to win a series. Hindu will never do it though. Incapable of thinking outside the box.

Does it give us the best chance to win a series when we throw in the towel on the first game and start with one loss?

msstate7
04-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Last night was Auburn's 5th opening game vs sec teams. The opponents have scored 9 total (1.8 per game). FWIW, aTm and ark only scored 1 vs mize also. We are not a good offensive team, but I do think we are improving. Facing mize is a terrible way to evaluate your team's hitting though... no one hits him. Even so, we should have won

Bulldog1
04-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Does it give us the best chance to win a series when we throw in the towel on the first game and start with one loss?

Yes. We waste our best pitcher vs. other teams ace that we can't hit. It gives us a better opportunity to win with our best 2 pitchers going on Saturday and Sunday.

Mutt the Hoople
04-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Our hitters hit .350-.400, 10-20 homers in the summer woodbat leagues, then come right back to campus and can't hit a ball off a tee.

ATTILLA THE DOG
04-14-2018, 12:05 PM
We win last night if we bunt,plain and simple.I know we suck hitting the ball,but upig only got 2 runs off this dude.

confucius say
04-14-2018, 12:11 PM

Yep.

confucius say
04-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Our Friday night runs scored are

Om is the 13 and the anomaly. Throw JB Friday and if you happen to score 13 and win great. Even if not, you have the advantage on the bump in games 2 and 3.

Dawg61
04-14-2018, 12:18 PM
Yes. We waste our best pitcher vs. other teams ace that we can't hit. It gives us a better opportunity to win with our best 2 pitchers going on Saturday and Sunday.

Sorry I am not a throw in the towel and start a series with a guaranteed loss kind of guy. I believe in momentum and team morale to have effects on the next games. Starting a series with a losers mentality and then expecting the team to suddenly think/act like winners when you told them they are losers already isn't the best way to win a series imo.

Bulldog1
04-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Sorry I am not a throw in the towel and start a series with a guaranteed loss kind of guy. I believe in momentum and team morale to have effects on the next games. Starting a series with a losers mentality and then expecting the team to suddenly think/act like winners when you told them they are losers already isn't the best way to win a series imo.

Do you know what our record is on Friday in conference? 1-4. We would without a doubt do better with Pilkington on Saturday or Sunday.

Todd4State
04-14-2018, 12:29 PM
Our Friday night runs scored are

Om is the 13 and the anomaly. Throw JB Friday and if you happen to score 13 and win great. Even if not, you have the advantage on the bump in games 2 and 3.

Plus with JB you never know when he is going to be lights out. I could see him shutting out 1-2 people and stealing a couple of Friday's for us.

Dawg61
04-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Do you know what our record is on Friday in conference? 1-4. We would without a doubt do better with Pilkington on Saturday or Sunday.

Plus with JB you never know when he is going to be lights out. I could see him shutting out 1-2 people and stealing a couple of Friday's for us.

How many innings has Pilk gone in each of our Friday games? Gonna hurt to be going to the pen down 8-0 in the 3rd during a opening game. Then what? Throw in some scrubs to finish the game losing 19-1 on Friday is gonna be asking the near impossible to wipe that ass beat down from the team's minds to win the next two games.

confucius say
04-14-2018, 12:40 PM

True. He's done it before.

Bulldog1
04-14-2018, 12:41 PM
How many innings has Pilk gone in each of our Friday games? Gonna hurt to be going to the pen down 8-0 in the 3rd during a opening game. Then what? Throw in some scrubs to finish the game losing 19-1 on Friday is gonna be asking the near impossible to wipe that ass beat down from the team's minds to win the next two games.
JP France could pitch on Friday's. Do you think that we have a better chance with Pilkington pitching on Friday or on Sunday?

confucius say
04-14-2018, 12:44 PM

Well yours and Hindus way is not working. We are wasting great outings from a first round pick bc we can't score more than 1 run on Fridays.

And players aren't stupid. They know that. I'd tell them to do smn to change it if you don't like it.

Leroy Jenkins
04-14-2018, 12:48 PM

Your approach has a higher ceiling if we hit, and a lower floor if we don't. Throwing Pilk Saturday has a lower ceiling since you think we are conceding a game, but a higher floor because we can still win 2.

The formula for SEC baseball success has been established for a long time, win your home series (with an occasional sweep) and don't get swept on the road.

Todd4State
04-14-2018, 12:52 PM

VAN- 6.0
MIZZOU- 5.2
LSU- 6.2
Ole Miss- 7.0
Auburn- 7.2

He goes deep into games as consistently as anyone could ever hope for- making moving him to Saturday less risky in terms of bullpen usage.

One thing I've learned about baseball is you can't worry about the bullpen for game three in game one. MLB teams are OK using position players if they are getting blown out and we even had to do that ourselves last year so yes, if we get blown out on Friday and that's what we have to do that's fine. Friday is essentially a throw away game for us anyone so it doesn't matter if getting beat 19-1 gives us a better chance to win the series.

maroonmania
04-14-2018, 12:56 PM

Good grief, its not throwing in the towel to give us the best chance to win 2 out of 3 in a series and throwing JB on Friday night does not guarantee we are going to lose.

Dawg61
04-14-2018, 01:04 PM
I'm a big believer in momentum and I think we are just as likely to get swept than win the series when we don't throw Pilk on Friday. I'd rather give our team the best chance of doing the sweeping instead by starting our best on Fridays. Doesn't matter this year either way though. We can't hit for shit.

Bulldog1
04-14-2018, 01:06 PM
I'm a big believer in momentum and I think we are just as likely to get swept than win the series when we don't throw Pilk on Friday. I'd rather give our team the best chance of doing the sweeping instead by starting our best on Fridays. Doesn't matter this year either way though. We can't hit for shit.

What momentum do we gain by Pilk pitching on Friday's? We still lose.

maroonmania
04-14-2018, 01:11 PM

I agree with the old saying that momentum in baseball is only as good as your next starting pitcher.

Dawg61
04-14-2018, 01:24 PM
What momentum do we gain by Pilk pitching on Friday's? We still lose.

Guess it can't hurt to try it at this point. Only way we make regionals is if we try something new and win like 80% of our remaining games.

Jack Lambert
04-14-2018, 02:37 PM

He good.

dawgoneyall
04-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Wish Pilk was pitching today.