PDA

View Full Version : If we had to pick a permanent non-conerence opponent, who would you chose and why?

Lord McBuckethead
04-12-2018, 10:57 PM
Mine would be NCState. For whichever reason, I like playing them. I also would set up the matchup for a home/away/neutral rotation so it would flip flop the years we get them at home every cycle. Instead of having an additional home game on only Even # years. Plus the Neutral game could be in venues we rarely play.

NCState seems to be a parallel to our school and values too. Similar fanbases, etc.

preachermatt83
04-12-2018, 10:59 PM
I'd go with Texas Tech

Liverpooldawg
04-12-2018, 11:01 PM
I'd take the worst historic FBS team myself. I like almost certain wins. We play in the SEC WEST. We don't need to beef up our schedule. Those that say we do play in weak powder puff leagues, in other words, every other league.

Johnson85
04-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Tulane. W and awayngames at New Orleans. Easy pick

ShotgunDawg
04-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Tulane

deadheaddawg
04-12-2018, 11:12 PM
As long as we got Moorhead I say Penn State. Love to see Moorhead consistently beat his old boss....plus I like rooting against them because of the Sandusky stuff

And if we expect to compete with Bama we should be able to schedule like bama

DownwardDawg
04-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Tulane

Home crowd in Nola

SmokeyDawg
04-12-2018, 11:29 PM
I 'd probably pick Louisville. Not sure how they will do without Lamar but I think they are perceived as a top tier ACC program but more times than not we'd be better in the trenches.

The Federalist Engineer
04-12-2018, 11:31 PM
(1) Georgia Tech because Atlanta is easy to get to and recruiting in all sports
(2) Miami because it's easy and cool to get there
(3) Houston or SMU because Dallas and Houston have awesome pro stadiums to play in

The Federalist Engineer
04-12-2018, 11:37 PM
I'd go with Texas Tech

Even people from Oklahoma think Lubbock trips sucks. If you want to play out West, go to Colorado or play Kansas in Arrowhead

Dawg61
04-12-2018, 11:53 PM
Hawaii

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-12-2018, 11:58 PM
Mine would be NCState. For whichever reason, I like playing them. I also would set up the matchup for a home/away/neutral rotation so it would flip flop the years we get them at home every cycle. Instead of having an additional home game on only Even # years. Plus the Neutral game could be in venues we rarely play.

NCState seems to be a parallel to our school and values too. Similar fanbases, etc.

Boise State

Todd4State
04-13-2018, 12:42 AM
1A- Tulane. It's a short trip and there is some history there with Tulane formerly being in the SEC.

1B- Army. We have a history as a ROTC/military school and one of our early wins was over them in the 1930's. Fairly close to New York City and they are in a beautiful region.

Dawg61
04-13-2018, 12:55 AM
Boise State

Lol rep given

BrunswickDawg
04-13-2018, 07:27 AM
Whatever school Kyle Wittingham is coaching.

Lord McBuckethead
04-13-2018, 08:16 AM
(1) Georgia Tech because Atlanta is easy to get to and recruiting in all sports
(2) Miami because it's easy and cool to get there
(3) Houston or SMU because Dallas and Houston have awesome pro stadiums to play in

#1. No way I would pick GT. It helps us zero to play a triple option team with cut blockers all over the place.

Jack Lambert
04-13-2018, 08:21 AM
UCF. I hate that shit head reporter.

Bothrops
04-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Notre Dame. The program recognition we'd get alone would be worth it. The media would eventually quit calling us Mississippi or OM as well .

BuckyIsAB****
04-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, NC State all good choices. But.....

I'd pick USM

Johnson85
04-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, NC State all good choices. But.....

I'd pick USM

Why in the world would you want USM. I get that's an easy road game to make, but Tulane is an easy road game to make and obviously NO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hattiesburg. Hell, I think we'd be better served having South alabama, UAB, or Memphis as a permanent compared to USM.

BuckyIsAB****
04-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Why in the world would you want USM. I get that's an easy road game to make, but Tulane is an easy road game to make and obviously NO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hattiesburg. Hell, I think we'd be better served having South alabama, UAB, or Memphis as a permanent compared to USM.

1 bc its an in state rival. You should always play your in state teams. MS kids can see it and that makes a difference.

2 bc it keeps money here, we wont have to pay them a shit ton to come to Starkville like we would any other out of state team.

Plus the fact they like to think we are scared to play them

1bigdawg
04-13-2018, 10:23 AM
(1)

Houston has a new on campus stadium now.

ScottH
04-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Rice, SMU

sleepy dawg
04-13-2018, 10:50 AM
As long as we got Moorhead I say Penn State. Love to see Moorhead consistently beat his old boss....plus I like rooting against them because of the Sandusky stuff

And if we expect to compete with Bama we should be able to schedule like bama

That doesn't mean you have to have a permanent top notch opponent. You still have 3 other games you can schedule each year. I'd rather take an easy permanent and try to schedule something harder on an as needed basis.

1 bc its an in state rival. You should always play your in state teams. MS kids can see it and that makes a difference.

2 bc it keeps money here, we wont have to pay them a shit ton to come to Starkville like we would any other out of state team.

I don't like having to play USM every year. I'm fine with every now and then. The best thing for us is not keeping money in MS. It's making sure MSU is good. USM getting recognition in anything is not good for us. They've been a thorn in our side for too long and now that they are finally irrelevant, its in our best interest for them to stay that way.

Ari Gold
04-13-2018, 10:55 AM
If it’s a Non P5 it’s Tulane.. and under no circumstances is it USM .. **** that place
If it’s a P5. Louisville

Johnson85
04-13-2018, 11:09 AM

For USM to be a rival, we will have to be the most mismanaged athletic department in the country or USM will have to be the best managed athletic department in the country. The TV packages have just made the difference in financial resources to stark for them to be a rival. You might as well call Delta St. our rival in baseball.

Liverpooldawg
04-13-2018, 11:12 AM

We have no business playing them. We have nothing at all to gain by doing it. They have everything to gain by playing us.

Bulldog1
04-13-2018, 11:16 AM
No southern miss. I hope none of our teams ever play in Hattiesburg again!

Spiderman
04-13-2018, 12:50 PM

Tulane, cause they generally suck , plus every other year it's a decent road game

RocketDawg
04-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Presumably it would need to be a P5, so Louisville is a good choice. It's fairly nearby to many fans, plus we just like to beat them.

Or, maybe Ohio State. Knock them out of the playoffs before Bama gets to them. **

BuckyIsAB****
04-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Yea well thats like yalls opinion man

Leroy Jenkins
04-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Tulane is the correct answer.

IMissJack
04-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Texas. Always good to beat the horns.

MSUDAWGFAN
04-13-2018, 03:05 PM
Kansas. They suck. We could almost always beat them.

Lord McBuckethead
04-13-2018, 03:20 PM
More I think about it,
TCU would be a good one.
UCLA or USC would be interesting.
We could always pick up NC State, Memphis, or Louisville
Pitt or Purdue would be fun.

Of all the ones listed, GT is the only one I would say hell no to.
Tulane, would be an awesome trip, but they help us zero on our schedule

Johnson85
04-13-2018, 03:53 PM
More I think about it,
TCU would be a good one.
UCLA or USC would be interesting.
We could always pick up NC State, Memphis, or Louisville
Pitt or Purdue would be fun.

Of all the ones listed, GT is the only one I would say hell no to.
Tulane, would be an awesome trip, but they help us zero on our schedule

??? They would give us a (usually) easy win against a G5 school and also give us a home and away at a decent location. We could then schedule our Power 5 opponent to be home/away opposite of whatever Tulane is (granted, easier said than done). Then each year, we'd have 4 home SEC games, either Tulane or a Power 5 team at home, and then a FCS school and one expensive buy game, to have seven home games each year. How would that not help our schedule? That would greatly simplify our scheduling. Sometimes it could put is in a bind because it would remove some flexibility, but if for some reason were wanted/needed to add a permanent non-conference opponent (and it were feasible to do so with an out of state opponent, which would be hard for any school to commit to a long term contract like that), Tulane would be a slam dunk.

was21
04-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Purdue

desotodawgz
04-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Clemson home, away then neutral ....loss would not hurt you if early in season
Florida state home, away then neutral ....loss would not hurt you if early in season
Notre Dame home, away then neutral
Tulane 2 for 1
Memphis 2 for 1

RocketDawg
04-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Clemson home, away then neutral ....loss would not hurt you if early in season
Florida state home, away then neutral ....loss would not hurt you if early in season
Notre Dame home, away then neutral
Tulane 2 for 1
Memphis 2 for 1

Hadn't noticed until you mentioned it ... when did we stop scheduling Memphis? It used to be an every year thing, home and home. I guess the Bears still have them 'cause they lose almost every time .....

BuckyIsAB****
04-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Memphis is a dangerous G5 team. Whatever probs Norvell has off field they wont matter as much after this year.

Dont be surprised to see OM think they are going to get him

Bulldog1
04-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Memphis is a dangerous G5 team. Whatever probs Norvell has off field they wont matter as much after this year.

Dont be surprised to see OM think they are going to get him

I hope they don't get him.