PDA

View Full Version : What We Are Seeing Here....

ShotgunDawg
04-12-2018, 05:39 PM
What we are seeing right now with our football program is the natural progression of a program that has sustained winning, produced NFL players, and poured a bunch of money into facilities for the last decade.

There has been no short cut taken. This is not an overnight millionaire story. There are no gimmicks. There are no silly, faux perception builders that can be had by gaming the system.

What we are seeing currently with our football program is the result of a well run program sustaining success over a number years and developing the credibility as a place where talented football players can come win and develop into NFL caliber players.

Everyone should be proud of this because it's genuine.

When we beat Clemson in the 1999 Peach Bowl, that was kind of the beginning of their climb under Bowden, who was their Mullen. Then they slowely built for almost 12-15 years before becoming CLEMSON.

If you want it to be sustainable and real, it has to be done the right way and that is what MSU has done here. It's no gimmick.

Are we there yet? No, but we are damn sure on our way. This is no fly by night, televangelist miracle and it isn't a story of an overnight millionaire.

MSU football is the story of a mail room guy that rolled his sleeves up, went to work everyday, and busted his ass until he ran the company. That is sustainable and genuine.

Many programs don't have the leadership or mental toughness to do it that way. They want everything now like a bunch of teenagers and use silly, unsustainable gimmicks to solve enormous issues.

msbulldog
04-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Thank you Gun! Rep Given!

Pollodawg
04-12-2018, 05:50 PM
If you want to go from 8-9 wins a season to 10-11, this is how you do it. State is doing what the big boys do now. This is how you get into the next tier. It ain’t nowhere near over, and we got a ways to go. But we’re headed where we want to be.
After the Egg Bowl last season, before Mullen left even, I wasn’t excited about this year. I haven’t really been excited about a season since right after the 2013 Liberty Bowl, and I was ready for ‘14. That’s changed. I am fired up for the new era.

Commercecomet24
04-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Great post, Gun! Agree completely. This is how sustained long term success is built. One brick at a time, no shortcuts, blood, sweat and tears. Great time to be a Dawg!

Leroy Jenkins
04-12-2018, 06:02 PM
The last time MSU was not in a post-season game these recruits were 9 years old. The "po ol Mititippi tate" generation is dying off.

BrunswickDawg
04-12-2018, 06:15 PM
And Shotgun - what you say is why Ole Miss will never get beyond sporadic success. They are lazy, and don't want to put in the work. Unless they change their entire culture they will never be a consistent winning program.

ShotgunDawg
04-12-2018, 06:22 PM
And Shotgun - what you say is why Ole Miss will never get beyond sporadic success. They are lazy, and don't want to put in the work. Unless they change their entire culture they will never be a consistent winning program.

Yup

It simply can't happen.

RocketDawg
04-12-2018, 06:23 PM
What we are seeing right now with our football program is the natural progression of a program that has sustained winning, produced NFL players, and poured a bunch of money into facilities for the last decade.

There has been no short cut taken. This is not an overnight millionaire story. There are no gimmicks. There are no silly, faux perception builders that can be had by gaming the system.

What we are seeing currently with our football program is the result of a well run program sustaining success over a number years and developing the credibility as a place where talented football players can come win and develop into NFL caliber players.

When we beat Clemson in the 1999 Peach Bowl, that was kind of the beginning of their climb under Bowden, who was their Mullen. Then they slowely built for almost 12-15 years before becoming CLEMSON.

If you want it to be sustainable and real, it has to be done the right way and that is what MSU has done here. It's no gimmick.

Are we there yet? No, but we are damn sure on our way. This is no fly by night, televangelist miracle and it isn't a story of an overnight millionaire.

MSU football is the story of a mail room guy that rolled his sleeves up, went to work everyday, and busted his ass until he ran the company. That is sustainable and genuine.

Many programs don't have the leadership or mental toughness to do it that way. They want everything now like a bunch of teenagers and use silly, unsustainable gimmicks to solve enormous issues.

The '99 Peach Bowl was one of the best games I've ever seen. Before the game, for whatever reason, their fans that I had contact were quite arrogant, thinking they were going to blow us out. It couldn't have been a more deserved win. As I recall, we shouldn't have even been there ... we had a much better record than they did, plus we played in a much harder conference (the ACC is a basketball conference). I'll never forget the hit that (I think it was Bean) put on that Clemson guy.

I'm not sure that the current Clemson is the permanent Clemson. They're not Alabama, and I don't think they will be. They're pretty much the new kid on the block, new money if you will, and I don't think it will last. Biased opinion, of course.

Pollodawg
04-12-2018, 06:25 PM

Hammer meet nail. They’ll have their 9-10 win seasons, followed by a string of 3-9, 4-8 years. You can’t build a mansion on a foundation made of match stick.

Pollodawg
04-12-2018, 06:26 PM
The '99 Peach Bowl was one of the best games I've ever seen. Before the game, for whatever reason, their fans that I had contact were quite arrogant, thinking they were going to blow us out. It couldn't have been a more deserved win. As I recall, we shouldn't have even been there ... we had a much better record than they did, plus we played in a much harder conference (the ACC is a basketball conference). I'll never forget the hit that (I think it was Bean) put on that Clemson guy.

I'm not sure that the current Clemson is the permanent Clemson. They're not Alabama, and I don't think they will be. They're pretty much the new kid on the block, new money if you will, and I don't think it will last. Biased opinion, of course.

Wasn’t it Josh Morgan that decleated one of their wideouts?

IMissJack
04-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Wasn’t it Josh Morgan that decleated one of their wideouts?

Yes

HereComesTheSpiral
04-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Wasn’t it Josh Morgan that decapitated one of their wideouts?

That's more like it

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-12-2018, 07:04 PM
You mean this hit?....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GtCKT6DEHig

Of course, that would have been his last play if it had happened today.

Commercecomet24
04-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Josh Morgan was a beast!

RocketDawg
04-12-2018, 07:11 PM
You mean this hit?....

Yes, that one. I could have sworn it was Robert Bean. I was sitting high up in the end zone. We didn't get the best tickets in the world through the BDC.

Bully13
04-12-2018, 07:45 PM

I was at that game with my marine core brother. we had several conversations pre-game with Clemson fans who were all in with the "MSU didn't belong with Clemson" and that we were going to get our asses kicked.

the silence was defining at the breakfast as my brother and I devoured or bacon, eggs and biskets while we sported our MSU gear.

DownwardDawg
04-12-2018, 07:55 PM
Josh Morgan was a beast!

One of my all time favorites.

BrunswickDawg
04-12-2018, 07:55 PM
I was at that game with my marine core brother. we had several conversations pre-game with Clemson fans who were all in with the "MSU didn't belong with Clemson" and that we were going to get our asses kicked.

the silence was defining at the breakfast as my brother and I devoured or bacon, eggs and biskets while we sported our MSU gear.

I was sitting in the top row of the GA Dome that night. When Morgan decleated that guy I launched the clapper from my bell up and out. I feel bad for the poor sucker in the lower level who got walloped by that missile.

Todd4State
04-13-2018, 12:48 AM

Great post. We are starting to do what Dan should have done and I think our fans are going to see how much Dan held us back even though he could get us to bowls. The thing that made me the most upset about last season were some of our fans telling me that Dan was as good as we are ever going to get and that if I couldn't be happy with him I would never be happy.

I think Joe is going to elevate us even further and he is already taking our recruiting even higher than I even thought. We're probably going to have our best class ever this year and we're about to see that Dan was more of the problem with recruiting than it was Ole Miss paying off players.

Todd4State
04-13-2018, 12:54 AM

The 1999 Peach Bowl was special to me. That was the first time in my fan life that I saw us win a bowl game. Jackie never did have us well prepared to play in bowls for whatever reason. It was also my last game as a senior at MSU- and yes it is glorious that my last season was one of and probably the best in school history. That entire season is the gold standard for MSU seasons to me. Our defense was just too good for them. We would and probably should have shut them out except for the penalty fest we had in the fourth quarter which allowed them to score at point blank range.

As far as us supposed to being there- I remember feeling like we were probably going there because of the Outback Bowl's SEC East policy that they had at the time. Historically speaking the Peach Bowl is now seen as the better of the two. Although the Outback Bowl would have been fun for most of our fans.

msbulldog
04-13-2018, 05:50 AM
You mean this hit?....

DAMN, OUCH! I had forgotten that one.

I seen it dawg
04-13-2018, 06:19 AM

Lol i think you should get ready for Clemson to be the big kid on the block for a good while...

FISHDAWG
04-13-2018, 07:56 AM
and it all started when LT left ... the first domino

gtowndawg
04-13-2018, 08:03 AM
Here here my good man!

https://media2.giphy.com/media/srg19CG0cKMuI/200.gif

Commercecomet24
04-13-2018, 08:39 AM
One of my all time favorites.

Mine too! I wish all dbs could be as aggressive and tough as Josh!

Cary Hudson's little bro
04-13-2018, 09:20 AM
What really helped the most was the SEC TV money that helped us transform our facilities. many many millions

Bully13
04-13-2018, 09:24 AM
You mean this hit?....

That looked like a clean hit even by today's standards. maybe. anybody remember what the flag was all about?

MStateDawg
04-13-2018, 09:24 AM

Well said. The high school players we are recruiting now were just 9 or 10 year old kids the last time we didn't make a bowl. Sustain that a few more years and Mississippi State will be viewed completely different than in past generations. Clemson is a good example as is Virginia Tech. You can't go from a 3-5 win program to a 9-10 win program in a short timespan without cutting corners (see the University of Mississippi). It's a long steady climb that leads to sustained success. Making a good higher after Mullen left was critical to retaining our ascent and it sure seems like Moorhead can be the guy to lead us on our continued rise.

MetEdDawg
04-13-2018, 09:34 AM
Getting to a bowl game our 5-7 year was huge. It should never have come to that, but we got to get the extra practices, we got the extra publicity, and we avoided losing the streak. Being able to tell kids we've gone to bowls for 8 straight years

We've avoided those awful years that really turn kids off. Years where you only get 3 or 4 wins and lose all your conference games. I can't see us not going to a bowl game again for the forseeable future. We are currently tied for 14 in the nation in longest active bowl streaks. Only teams in the SEC that have more in a row than us are Bama, UGA, LSU, and TAMU. That's cultural change folks. We are well on the way and some of what you guys said is correct. These kids don't remember bad MSU football. And we are going for our 4th 9 win season in our last 5 years this year. That's huge for our program.

Liverpooldawg
04-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Outstanding!