PDA

View Full Version : You expert recruiting gura's.....

basedog
04-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Would you rather have say a 3 star football playerfrom Florida, La, Texas, Alabama or Ga over a 3 star from Mississippi?

Using a 3 star but really any star.

Me, I would

Asking for a friend, really!

BuckyIsAB****
04-12-2018, 09:53 AM
3 star from MS

Dawghouse
04-12-2018, 10:00 AM
From MS for two reasons.

All others things being equal take the guy from your state.

MS is one of the least scouted states by services so there?s a better chance a MS 3 star turns out to be a diamond than a GA or FL 3 star.

WinningIsRelentless
04-12-2018, 10:03 AM
3 Star from MS and here is why.

In the other states most of the high schools are already ran like college programs with football staffs of 20 plus. Those kids are already on a high level strength and conditioning program thus their is a large probability they have already hit that physical peak. Whereas most ms athletes haven?t even touched their physical peaks.

TrapGame
04-12-2018, 10:09 AM
3 star from MS. The odds he's underrated are pretty good.

Rick Danko
04-12-2018, 10:15 AM
3 star from MS all things being considered equal. Probably overlooked, and will have a drive to play well for his State vs a kid that wishes he got that Texas offer (or FL, LSU, Bama, etc.) that just never came

Irondawg
04-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Depends on position. QB I'm taking out of state probably just because they are probably better prepared coming in and it's tough to wait 3 years for a guy to be ready sometimes.

Most other positions you take the in-state kids. WR may fit in the same boat as QB if they out of state guy came from a passing offense and you're expected that guy to play in 1-2 years

msstate7
04-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Too little info...

Would I choose 3* Gabe miles over dak? Kent flowers over fitz? Would I choose 4* tyler russell over either dak or fitz?

BuckyIsAB****
04-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Depends on position. QB I'm taking out of state probably just because they are probably better prepared coming in and it's tough to wait 3 years for a guy to be ready sometimes.

Most other positions you take the in-state kids. WR may fit in the same boat as QB if they out of state guy came from a passing offense and you're expected that guy to play in 1-2 years

QBs in this state are as well coached as any. Texas, which is supposed to be the high school football capitol of the world, I would argue I dont want any defensive players from there using that logic. Since they dont play it in high school or in college. See the Big 12

MetEdDawg
04-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Depends on the type of school they are at. If they are in a tiny school, I'm taking the MS kid all day.

But if they are in the highest classifications, I'm taking the 3 star from out of state, especially if those states are AL, GA, FL, or TX. They have played better competition and if they are in the 5A, 6A, or 7A classification, have seen legitimate D1 guys every single week. That doesn't always happen in MS.

For example, at the high school I'm at, our kids saw at a minimum 50 kids that are going to go D1 this year or next year. And they also have 10 or more kids they are playing with that are going D1. That isn't happening in MS. And you can almost guarantee that as far as resources go, bigger schools in richer states with higher populations have more resources for those kids. But playing the better competition and having more resources is an advantage for those kids I believe.

I live and teach in Alabama and know that we have a number of resources that kids in MS, even at the bigger schools, don't have. So if we are comparing a 1A, 2A, or 3A kid across states, I'm taking an MS kid. But if we start getting into kids that are 3 stars that are playing big time high school football, I'm taking a kid from those 3 or 4 states.

Jack Lambert
04-12-2018, 10:30 AM
If Benardrick McKinney played high school football in Texas or Florida he would have been at least a 4 star. There are a lot of three star kids at small schools in Miss that would be really good and noticed at bigger schools.

Side note: a friend of mine who coaches at a six A school in Texas said he wish he could come over here and recruit kids from small rural schools in Mississippi. It's a untapped gold mine.

tcdog70
04-12-2018, 10:35 AM
a 3 star Mississippi kid usually has more upside. I see Miss. 3 stars whip other states 4 stars after they get in college.

ShotgunDawg
04-12-2018, 10:37 AM
I'd rather have a 3 star of MS or LA. MS is under scouted & LA players without an LSU offer are looked at as trash.

A 3 star from TX is likely garbage & a 3 star from Florida has been passed on by too many other schools.

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2018, 11:17 AM
From MS for two reasons.

All others things being equal take the guy from your state.

MS is one of the least scouted states by services so there?s a better chance a MS 3 star turns out to be a diamond than a GA or FL 3 star.

Exactly.. good chance that 3 star in MS is underrated.. especially once he commits to use and gets knocked down a star***
Plus.. the home state pride.

Jack Lambert
04-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Exactly.. good chance that 3 star in MS is underrated.. especially once he commits to use and gets knocked down a star***
Plus.. the home state pride.

Wheres my V-cash for the Master's? I picked Reed for 75 to 1.

Ezsoil
04-12-2018, 11:36 AM
In Texas, the emphasis is on offense...the best players are put on that side of the ball.....I tend to think that outside of the QB position, most Texas players are overrated... case in point...look at the recruiting rankings of Texas and Texas A&M and look at the on the field performance....another problem is you have 1000 kids playing football in a high school feeder system grades 8-12. Many quality players never get on a high school field. Additionally in the bigger schools there are more distractions which hinder development.

AusTexDawg
04-12-2018, 11:46 AM
In Texas, the emphasis is on offense...I tend to think that outside of the QB position, most Texas players are overrated... case in point...look at the recruiting rankings of Texas and Texas A&M and look at the on the field performance....

This is one of the biggest issues that Texas has had since the Longhorns' downturn began under Mack - they sign these 4 & 5 star kids who are already playing at or near their peak potential at these large high school programs.

ShotgunDawg
04-12-2018, 11:59 AM
This is one of the biggest issues that Texas has had since the Longhorns' downturn began under Mack - they sign these 4 & 5 star kids who are already playing at or near their peak potential at these large high school programs.

I also agree that Texas players are overrated but Oklahoma has 30 Texas players on hit's roster & Oklahoma State has just many. TCU has more.

So, while I agree they are overrated & that may explain some of Texas A&M's issues in the SEC, it doesn't really explain why Texas win in the Big 12.

dawgs
04-12-2018, 12:05 PM
It would depend on the individual recruit. Are we talking a 89 rated 3* from Florida and a 82 rated 3* from mendenhall? Do either of the croots in question have an elite attribute? Who fits the system the best? So many questions to give a blanket answer.

Also, for those saying MS kids have higher upside than comparable kids from FL, TX, GA, etc., I'd like to see some success rates among 3* croots from all the states. All-conference? P5 starter? NFL draft pick?

Johnson85
04-12-2018, 12:55 PM
You're just going to have more variation in performance up and down from Mississippi 3*s. Are they a 3* because they are dominating in weak competition but don't have the athleticism or size to dominate in college? Or are they a 3* because they are playing weak competition and/or are at an under the radar school, and they are going to blow up once they get on a property strength and conditioning program and practice against comparable talent everyday?

If you have a 3* at a big time MS school versus a 3* at a Georgia or florida school, I don't know if that still applies.

Westdawg
04-12-2018, 01:24 PM
QBs in this state are as well coached as any. Texas, which is supposed to be the high school football capitol of the world, I would argue I dont want any defensive players from there using that logic. Since they dont play it in high school or in college. See the Big 12

not just no, but HECK no. You are way off in that assessment. I have coached in TN, west TX, and NM. The QB coaching in this state, top to bottom, regardless of classification - aside from about 4-5 schools - is not on par with most schools of same size in surrounding states. MS has made a lot of advances in high school coaching in the past 5-7 years, but offensively speaking, we are 10 years or more behind schools in TX, FL, GA, LA, and AL when it comes to preparing QBs in the actual school. Three things have helped our state in this area more than anything are:
coaching clinics at MSU and OM (both schools have had true spread offenses with their previous coaching regimes)

player camps at MSU and OM ( for the same reasons) and going to camps outside of the state.

7-on-7 tourneys that allow QBs to actually have the QB throwing the ball a lot - although their high school may be a running-based offense when they play that Fall.

football in MS won't take the next big step in dynamic offenses for another 6-10 years, when the current high school and college players graduate college and start taking coaching positions within the state. Again, offense has come a long way in the past 10 years or so, but we still lag behind in most of our schools.

bulldawg28
04-12-2018, 02:29 PM

I have to disagree big time. No highschool kid regardless of his ranking is playing at or near his peak. Better coaching, physical advancement, and knowledge of the game increases after leaving highschool. He may be advanced but he's nowhere near peaked

dawgs
04-12-2018, 03:11 PM
I have to disagree big time. No highschool kid regardless of his ranking is playing at or near his peak. Better coaching, physical advancement, and knowledge of the game increases after leaving highschool. He may be advanced but he's nowhere near peaked

I agree. The road for a more developed HS kid to reach his potential is also much shorter and has less potholes than a kid with the same ceiling/potential but who is far less developed, which is why a higher rate of 4* and 5* guys pan out into at least quality P5 starters than 3* guys.

coachnorm
04-12-2018, 03:48 PM
Consider looking at the numbers? Mississippi has three div 1 programs with a population of San Diego County in California. Top recruits in San Diego area do not consider San Diego State the one D1 program in the area. Can the State of Mississippi provide sufficient personnel to roster three D1 programs on a year to year basis. Another bit of number crunching is the wealth of strategic high school programs in State. Some high schools might have recruiting benefits yet do not monitor head coaches or pay assistant coaches. Another bit of number crunching is the high school football dynamics nation wide because fewer men are teaching in the high schools and the remaining teachers are older and disinterested in coaching thus walk on coaches are prevalent in football. Some programs hold on to outdated and stale coaches instead of hiring upgraded walk on assistant coaches. If you want to research instead of speculating, consider watching high school ball nationally, and compare it to the Mississippi High School football games you attend.

msbulldog
04-12-2018, 05:37 PM
Consider looking at the numbers? Mississippi has three div 1 programs with a population of San Diego County in California. Top recruits in San Diego area do not consider San Diego State the one D1 program in the area. Can the State of Mississippi provide sufficient personnel to roster three D1 programs on a year to year basis. Another bit of number crunching is the wealth of strategic high school programs in State. Some high schools might have recruiting benefits yet do not monitor head coaches or pay assistant coaches. Another bit of number crunching is the high school football dynamics nation wide because fewer men are teaching in the high schools and the remaining teachers are older and disinterested in coaching thus walk on coaches are prevalent in football. Some programs hold on to outdated and stale coaches instead of hiring upgraded walk on assistant coaches. If you want to research instead of speculating, consider watching high school ball nationally, and compare it to the Mississippi High School football games you attend.

Well I guess that's why the state of California has a billions dollar deficit and Mississippi has a millions dollar deficit. I hear you CoachNorm, but we do what we can do. Damn, we're closing 83 bridges. I am just thankful for the leadership of MSU that has brought us to the brightest point in our history! HAIL STATE!

Westdawg
04-12-2018, 06:18 PM

This is actually a common occurrence in HS programs in Texas.

Bubb Rubb
04-12-2018, 07:15 PM
If Benardrick McKinney played high school football in Texas or Florida he would have been at least a 4 star. There are a lot of three star kids at small schools in Miss that would be really good and noticed at bigger schools.

Side note: a friend of mine who coaches at a six A school in Texas said he wish he could come over here and recruit kids from small rural schools in Mississippi. It's a untapped gold mine.

Small quibble, but McKinney wasn't anywhere close to the player he became when he was in high school. He was skinny and hard to project position wise for college. Mullen saw something in him potential-wise that nobody else saw. So, no, he wouldn't have been a 4 star in Texas. He would have been a skinny, overlooked kid there, too.

coachnorm
04-12-2018, 08:47 PM
Well I guess that's why the state of California has a billions dollar deficit and Mississippi has a millions dollar deficit. I hear you CoachNorm, but we do what we can do. Damn, we're closing 83 bridges. I am just thankful for the leadership of MSU that has brought us to the brightest point in our history! HAIL STATE!

Hi msbulldog. I try to follow Mississippi High School Football from afar and understand a little about it. I have the DirecTV sports package and watch the regional games thru out the country. Last year I watched Noxubee County play also: Saw Starkville a few years before that. Do you know that Mississippi had a very special year for high school football this past season? The official benchmark for high school football is the USA Today rankings and Mississippi placed two teams in the national top 25. For many years Mississippi did not place one in the official rankings. This tells me that Mississippi is in a good cycle but can it be sustained or is it going to be short lived. I can't answer that but I still question whether the State can provide three D1 rosters due to population. Because of that question, I believe that out of state players are needed to assure quality SEC Football.

Pit Bull
04-12-2018, 10:41 PM
Would you rather have say a 3 star football playerfrom Florida, La, Texas, Alabama or Ga over a 3 star from Mississippi?

Using a 3 star but really any star.

Me, I would

Asking for a friend, really!

Three Star from Mississippi. Mississippi football quality is very good. The difference is Florida, Texas, Ohio, etc. just has more quantity of good players. They all should be judged the same in ability by decent ranking services provided the standards are the same. A 5 Star player in Mississippi should be the same as a 5 Star player in Florida, Texas, Ohio, etc. But you will find MORE 5 Star players in those states than you would in Mississippi. BTW....S.Panola for years had teams that could beat any other team nationwide had they played.