PDA

View Full Version : Getsy on OOB

TrapGame
04-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Dude sounds legit. He ain't no Gonzo. There was a little veiled jab at Billy G. I took it to mean he was surprised at how poorly these WRs were coached under Gonzo. Which we all knew around here.

Lance Harbor
04-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Please elaborate on the veiled jab.

Dude sounds legit. He ain't no Gonzo. There was a little veiled jab at Billy G. I took it to mean he was surprised at how poorly these WRs were coached under Gonzo. Which we all knew around here.

I seen it dawg
04-12-2018, 09:23 AM
I hope he said that he wondered if there was a wr coach on staff last year. He would be truthful.

TrapGame
04-12-2018, 09:29 AM
Please elaborate on the veiled jab.

He said something along the lines of State fans seeing WR performances they haven't been used to over the last few years. I took it as a jab against Billy G.

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2018, 09:32 AM
He said something along the lines of State fans seeing WR performances they haven't been used to over the last few years. I took it as a jab against Billy G.

You mean they'll actually get some separation and catch the ball now?

Hambone
04-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Will we even know how to react seeing a WR with space around him?

Commercecomet24
04-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Imagine how many more yards of offense and how many more points we score the last 2 years without all the drops. Some drops are gonna happen but dang we had to lead the world in dropped passes the last 2 years.

BeardoMSU
04-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Will we even know how to react seeing a WR with space around him?

Getsy workin' his magic**

https://i.imgur.com/xnEoPNG.gif

BuckyIsAB****
04-12-2018, 09:49 AM
Well...I hate to be that guy but we havent been very consistent catching the ball so far this spring either. Been good at times been down at times, it will even out.

Like I've said, Deddrick Thomas, Austin Williams, Malik Dear have been really good though

TrapGame
04-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Well...I hate to be that guy but we havent been very consistent catching the ball so far this spring either. Been good at times been down at times, it will even out.

Like I've said, Deddrick Thomas, Austin Williams, Malik Dear have been really good though

I wonder if some of it is Getsy telling Couch and Todd to unlearn everything Gonzo taught them.

Commercecomet24
04-12-2018, 10:17 AM

Good Stuff, Bucky. I been hearing so many good things about Austin Williams, What's your take on him? Watching Deddrick with his quickness and agility, looks like our Danny Amendola.

BuckyIsAB****
04-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Good Stuff, Bucky. I been hearing so many good things about Austin Williams, What's your take on him? Watching Deddrick with his quickness and agility, looks like our Danny Amendola.

Williams will get major PT this year as long as he keeps this up. Hes got great ball skills and hands

Irondawg
04-12-2018, 10:21 AM
We're going to be good in the slot I think, be curious to see how we use our main 3 options there (Thomas, Dear, Mixon)

BuckyIsAB****
04-12-2018, 10:22 AM
I wonder if some of it is Getsy telling Couch and Todd to unlearn everything Gonzo taught them.

Couch has been performing better lately too. Really no excuse for him his size and speed is freakish.

Todd will be a starter in the fall

BuckyIsAB****
04-12-2018, 10:23 AM
We're going to be good in the slot I think, be curious to see how we use our main 3 options there (Thomas, Dear, Mixon)

Williams was the starter in the slot in the first scrimmage. Todd and Couch on the outside

Commercecomet24
04-12-2018, 10:26 AM

I think those slot guys are gonna be heck in this offense.

Jarius
04-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Our problem at receiver was Gonzo's recruiting ability. Wide receiver, running backs, corners, and safety coaches are hired primarily to recruit and he sucked at it. This idea that a new wide receiver coach is going to fix our conference USA level receivers is crazy. The highly rated ones will be pretty good. The ones we beat USM for probably Won't.

thf24
04-12-2018, 12:13 PM
Our problem at receiver was Gonzo's recruiting ability. Wide receiver, running backs, corners, and safety coaches are hired primarily to recruit and he sucked at it. This idea that a new wide receiver coach is going to fix our conference USA level receivers is crazy. The highly rated ones will be pretty good. The ones we beat USM for probably Won't.

We had more than a handful of receivers while Gonzo was here that, while not great at the position in all-around terms, were obviously athletic enough that they shouldn't have consistently struggled to get open, against all levels of competition, as much as they did. When that's an issue for more than a few guys over a period of years, it points to poor coaching just as much as a lack of talent. Getsy isn't going to make Gonzo's guys run any faster or catch a whole lot better, but we can expect them not to struggle as much as a unit with fundamentals and route running with competent coaching.

Jarius
04-12-2018, 12:17 PM
We had more than a handful of receivers while Gonzo was here that, while not great at the position in all-around terms, were obviously athletic enough that they shouldn't have consistently struggled to get open, against all levels of competition, as much as they did. When that's an issue for more than a few guys over a period of years, it points to poor coaching just as much as a lack of talent. Getsy isn't going to make Gonzo's guys run any faster or catch a whole lot better, but we can expect them not to struggle as much as a unit with fundamentals and route running with competent coaching.

Who are you referencing?

BuckyIsAB****
04-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Who exactly is CUSA level in your opinion? We will be better at WR this year. We all knew we would be down at WR last year, esp when Dear got hurt. Dear is back, all those WRs that played last year got experience. We will be fine. Not great, but good enough. All you need is one really good one and he makes the others better

Jarius
04-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Who exactly is CUSA level in your opinion? We will be better at WR this year. We all knew we would be down at WR last year, esp when Dear got hurt. Dear is back, all those WRs that played last year got experience. We will be fine. Not great, but good enough. All you need is one really good one and he makes the others better

Oh we are going to be better for sure. We will be better because 4 star Malik Dear is back and healthy, 4 star Guidry is on the roster, 4 star Todd is a year older, 4 star Devonte Jason is on the roster, and 4 star Heath is coming into the program. I don't want to run down any former or current players, but I should not have to tell anyone that our receivers have been really bad by SEC standards the past 2 years. Just look at the roster and the production.

BuckyIsAB****
04-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Oh we are going to be better for sure. We will be better because 4 star Malik Dear is back and healthy, 4 star Guidry is on the roster, 4 star Todd is a year older, 4 star Devonte Jason is on the roster, and 4 star Heath is coming into the program. I don't want to run down any former or current players, but I should not have to tell anyone that our receivers have been really bad by SEC standards the past 2 years. Just look at the roster and the production.

I dont think stars matter as much as you do obviously but we can agree we will be much better at WR this fall

HoopsDawg
04-12-2018, 07:12 PM

I agree with you. We will be better at WR, but it's still our weakest position group.

Lord McBuckethead
04-12-2018, 07:21 PM
You mean they'll actually get some separation and catch the ball now?

I thought they were coached to run to the coverage.

Leroy Jenkins
04-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Williams was the starter in the slot in the first scrimmage. Todd and Couch on the outside

6'3" 205lb is a big slot. I expected Williams to be one of the outside guys since we have so many guys 5'10 and under. If Williams is the slot guy going forward we gonna be big across the board.

Todd4State
04-13-2018, 01:00 AM
I think Guidry will make a huge difference for us and I think Todd will develop into a solid WR. I really like Austin Williams in the slot if he is indeed our best route runner and he did well in the Army AA combine out of high school. If Deddrick Thomas is one of our best and he could be we probably should use Austin Williams on the outside if he is one of our three best and he could be as well. We certainly could move Austin Williams around between slot and outside WR. Whop and Heath are x-factors at this point. I'm curious to see how Joe uses Dear but he is certainly a valuable weapon.

BuckyIsAB****
04-13-2018, 09:19 AM
6'3" 205lb is a big slot. I expected Williams to be one of the outside guys since we have so many guys 5'10 and under. If Williams is the slot guy going forward we gonna be big across the board.

We are. Todd is big, Couch is big, Mitchell is big, Guidry is big compared to Mixon, Thomas. Jackson is about average sized but he will play. Williams has probably been the best surprise of the spring so far

TrapGame
04-13-2018, 09:57 AM
We are. Todd is big, Couch is big, Mitchell is big, Guidry is big compared to Mixon, Thomas. Jackson is about average sized but he will play. Williams has probably been the best surprise of the spring so far

Question.

So, is the shorter/less muscular slot guy going out of style in the RPO schemes? Is is to the advantage for play calling to have your slot guy taller and built more like a linebacker?

BuckyIsAB****
04-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Question.

So, is the shorter/less muscular slot guy going out of style in the RPO schemes? Is is to the advantage for play calling to have your slot guy taller and built more like a linebacker?

Doesnt really matter. Teams will RPO to tiny slot guys, teams will RPO to their TE's. Its dealers choice

TrapGame
04-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Doesnt really matter. Teams will RPO to tiny slot guys, teams will RPO to their TE's. Its dealers choice

Gotcha. Thanks.

MetEdDawg
04-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Question.

The nice thing is it gives you options. If your slot guy has a size advantage on his defender, like a pretty good size advantage, you can not only use that to your advantage in the pass game, but you can check to a run and get a blocking advantage. If you have the speed advantage, you can use the agility advantage for quick passes to bust zones or take the lid off the defense some.

The days of the traditional slot guy are gone. It's all about matchups and how to get advantages. And with our stable of running backs and our size at WR, I would not be surprised to see us run the ball more or throw more screens against nickel, dime, and 4-2-5 looks with 3-4 WR's on the field. If we can utilize our size advantage in that regard, it's going to be tough for teams to stop us outside the tackles because we have a good number of guys that can come out of the backfield with the size and speed necessary to make big plays.

Tbonewannabe
04-13-2018, 11:41 AM
The nice thing is it gives you options. If your slot guy has a size advantage on his defender, like a pretty good size advantage, you can not only use that to your advantage in the pass game, but you can check to a run and get a blocking advantage. If you have the speed advantage, you can use the agility advantage for quick passes to bust zones or take the lid off the defense some.

The days of the traditional slot guy are gone. It's all about matchups and how to get advantages. And with our stable of running backs and our size at WR, I would not be surprised to see us run the ball more or throw more screens against nickel, dime, and 4-2-5 looks with 3-4 WR's on the field. If we can utilize our size advantage in that regard, it's going to be tough for teams to stop us outside the tackles because we have a good number of guys that can come out of the backfield with the size and speed necessary to make big plays.

Just look at Gronk who pretty much is out of the slot most of the time. He is a match up nightmare.

Todd4State
04-13-2018, 11:47 AM
Just look at Gronk who pretty much is out of the slot most of the time. He is a match up nightmare.

I know this is semantics but I consider Gronk to be a TE/H-Back more than a slot receiver. I do think the slot in general gives you a lot of options as far as how you use players. I remember the 49ers would line Jerry Rice up in the slot and I liked that. They would get him matched up with a LB or S and kill people. The slot is all about match-ups whether it's a true slot receiver like a Wes Welker or a traditional outside receiver like a Rice or a H-back like Gronk.

biggun
04-14-2018, 03:08 PM

D Thomas had to lead the team in drops last season, followed closely by Couch but nowhere to go but up for our WR?s this season. We could make a nice leap up if Guidry is the real deal but if he struggles I see mostly the same as last year with a slight bump due to being a year older. Talent trumps coaching at WR position

CapitalCityDawg
04-14-2018, 03:32 PM

If JoMo were to have major success here and move on, I wouldn't mine Getsy getting a hard look

Homedawg
04-14-2018, 03:32 PM

You know that we will almost never have 4 wr on the field. 3 wr 1 rb 1 te 98% of plays.

Todd4State
04-14-2018, 03:58 PM
You know that we will almost never have 4 wr on the field. 3 wr 1 rb 1 te 98% of plays.

I bet it's more like 90%. I watched some film of when Joe was at Fordham and they had some 2 back sets about 10% of the time. I didn't see it as much at Penn State probably because of personnel. But with us having Aeris and Kylin I bet we see two backs some.

Homedawg
04-14-2018, 05:02 PM
I bet it's more like 90%. I watched some film of when Joe was at Fordham and they had some 2 back sets about 10% of the time. I didn't see it as much at Penn State probably because of personnel. But with us having Aeris and Kylin I bet we see two backs some.

I hope you don't have your hopes up.

Todd4State
04-14-2018, 05:04 PM
I hope you don't have your hopes up.

Doesn't really matter. I'm just telling you what I saw.

MedDawg
04-14-2018, 07:04 PM
[3 wr 1 rb 1 te 98% of plays.]

5% with 2 wr, 1, rb, 1 te, and 2 qb. Penn State worked their Fitz-clone backup QB Tommy Stevens into a bunch of plays. Stevens lined up at WR, RB, and shotgun QB with QB1 McSorley going wide in motion. Stevens caught TD passes, ran the end around, ran the option pitch with Saquon Barkley, and passed to WR/RB/TE/McSorley. We can do that with Keytaon.