PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Anybody see the Red Sox vs. Yankees Brawl?

Bulldog1
04-11-2018, 09:09 PM
Punches thrown, fists flying. It was pretty entertaining.

Dawg61
04-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Another one today? Padres and Rockies had benches clear earlier.

Bulldog1
04-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Another one today? Padres and Rockies had benches clear earlier.
Missed that one. Who started it?

bostondawg
04-11-2018, 09:50 PM
Went to the game last night and it was a Sox blow out, then I miss tonight when there are brawls everywhere. Picked the wrong one.

Todd4State
04-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Missed that one. Who started it?

Perdomo threw Arenado and it was on.

Todd4State
04-11-2018, 11:28 PM
Punches thrown, fists flying. It was pretty entertaining.

Yeah. I hope Austin spiked Holt on accident. Not sure.

Dawg61
04-12-2018, 12:46 AM
Perdomo threw Arenado and it was on.

Rockies had hit a couple Padres before that including injuring one I think. Perdomo was issuing payback and Arenado didn't take it lightly. Woulda knocked him out if he'd landed that big swing after Perdomo threw his glove at him. Pretty entertaining day of baseball.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-12-2018, 07:12 AM
In 99% of cases, baseball fights are the biggest bunch of sissy pillow fighting on earth. The Yankees and Red Sox "brawl" fits the bill. If you are going to fight, then fight. If not, then just stay in the batters box and on the mound and play ball. They looked like a bunch of kindergarten girls on the playground. Stupid.

Bulldog1
04-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Rockies had hit a couple Padres before that including injuring one I think. Perdomo was issuing payback and Arenado didn't take it lightly. Woulda knocked him out if he'd landed that big swing after Perdomo threw his glove at him. Pretty entertaining day of baseball.

That was hilarious.

Bully13
04-12-2018, 08:02 AM
it was entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_lULj6v804

Choctaw Dawg
04-12-2018, 11:48 AM
In 99% of cases, baseball fights are the biggest bunch of sissy pillow fighting on earth. The Yankees and Red Sox "brawl" fits the bill. If you are going to fight, then fight. If not, then just stay in the batters box and on the mound and play ball. They looked like a bunch of kindergarten girls on the playground. Stupid.

Pretty accurate, One exception would have to be Odor knocking the shit out of Jose Bautista. That was one of the better baseball fights I've ever seen.

Dawg61
04-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Another reason to get rid of replay is more brawls and manager ejections. Instant replay sucks.

Bulldog1
04-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Another reason to get rid of replay is more brawls and manager ejections. Instant replay sucks.

Yep. And stop robot umps before they ever start.

Commercecomet24
04-12-2018, 12:50 PM

I agree. Baseball is the worst of all sports with replay. Umpires rarely over rule other umpires and replay is just an extension of that. If any of you ever coached you know when you go out to ask the umpire to ask his buddies if they saw anything different, they will all say "I didn't see it". That's the company line for protecting your umpiring buddies.

Bulldog1
04-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Yep.

Tbonewannabe
04-12-2018, 02:42 PM
I agree. Baseball is the worst of all sports with replay. Umpires rarely over rule other umpires and replay is just an extension of that. If any of you ever coached you know when you go out to ask the umpire to ask his buddies if they saw anything different, they will all say "I didn't see it". That's the company line for protecting your umpiring buddies.

Also, umpires are known for not wanting to correct themselves either. I remember reading an article last year about an ump that changed his own call after making the wrong one. It was basically unheard of to correct the split second decision. I think it was something like calling someone out but he made the safe sign. They were ruling him safe even though he was out. He finally manned up and said he made the wrong sign and overturned it.

I think it was last year that same thing happened while a guy was pitching either a perfect game or no hitter on the last out. It was a slow dribbler back to the pitcher and he underhands it to the first baseman and the ump called the guy safe. The umpire actually later apologizes for messing it up but no one "overruled" him to say he was incorrect.

Commercecomet24
04-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Also, umpires are known for not wanting to correct themselves either. I remember reading an article last year about an ump that changed his own call after making the wrong one. It was basically unheard of to correct the split second decision. I think it was something like calling someone out but he made the safe sign. They were ruling him safe even though he was out. He finally manned up and said he made the wrong sign and overturned it.

I think it was last year that same thing happened while a guy was pitching either a perfect game or no hitter on the last out. It was a slow dribbler back to the pitcher and he underhands it to the first baseman and the ump called the guy safe. The umpire actually later apologizes for messing it up but no one "overruled" him to say he was incorrect.

Oh yeah, it's almost unheard of for an umpire to admit he made a mistake. I've seen it where an umpire was shown replays to show they missed a call and they still wouldn't admit they missed it.

That incident I think you were referring to is the one where Jim Joyce blew the call at first that cost Armando Gallaraga a perfect game. When Joyce saw the replay after the game he broke down when he realized he missed the call and cost him the perfect game. Joyce owned it though and apologized about it and face to face with Gallaraga. Jim Joyce is annually rated one of the top 3 umpires in the game. The players and managers really like him because he's very consistent and works hard at his job.

Commercecomet24
04-12-2018, 03:00 PM

Here's the video of the day after Joyce blew the call and meeting Galaragga at the plate before the game. Jim Joyce is one of the good guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRxEF-V4fio

Bully13
04-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Yep. And stop robot umps before they ever start.

That would suck big time. The one thing that comes to my mind is the strike zone. In the rulebook it's from the shoulders to the knees. But anybody who knows anything about baseball knows no pitch throne chest-high is going to get called strike. It's just an Unwritten rule. The one thing that I don't like though is how umpires tin to adjust the strike zone according to how the catcher alligns ihimself and the mitt

Commercecomet24
04-12-2018, 03:18 PM
That would suck big time. The one thing that comes to my mind is the strike zone. In the rulebook it's from the shoulders to the knees. But anybody who knows anything about baseball knows no pitch throne chest-high is going to get called strike. It's just an Unwritten rule. The one thing that I don't like though is how umpires tin to adjust the strike zone according to how the catcher alligns ihimself and the mitt

The strike zone over time has become more horizontal than vertical. Mostly now it's called from just below the knees to just above the belly button but they give 3-4 inches(or more depending on the ump) off the plate. Growing up in the 70's and early 80's they used to call the strike at the letters but sometime in the mid 80's the strike zone started drifting down and off the plate.

Lord McBuckethead
04-12-2018, 03:39 PM
I like the strike zone just below the chest and at the knees. Both measured by the batters stance. Gives you more pitch locations to work. When it is belt to knees it's pretty easy to sit back and jack it. All pitchers know belt high and that shit is gone. A little higher and it's pretty much a pop out, but when it's not called a strike they do not swing and takes the advantage entirely out of the game.

Commercecomet24
04-12-2018, 06:13 PM
I like the strike zone just below the chest and at the knees. Both measured by the batters stance. Gives you more pitch locations to work. When it is belt to knees it's pretty easy to sit back and jack it. All pitchers know belt high and that shit is gone. A little higher and it's pretty much a pop out, but when it's not called a strike they do not swing and takes the advantage entirely out of the game.

Truth!