PDA

View Full Version : Tiny tidbit from football practice...

Coursesuper
04-11-2018, 06:53 AM
The new offense was described as a P.R.O. . This is a pass first offense with run option, they really want to move the ball down field.

bulldawg28
04-11-2018, 07:36 AM
Bro, where have you been?

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2018, 07:37 AM
On paper that sounds great but Fitz and our WRs better show MASSIVE improvement or it'll be a mistake.

I'm all for more vertical passing the field but unless we RTGDF, we will have a buncha 3 and outs.

Us going to K-state and attempting go throw it 65% of the time, scares me. We win by 14+ by RTGDF

MetEdDawg
04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
On paper that sounds great but Fitz and our WRs better show MASSIVE improvement or it'll be a mistake.

I'm all for more vertical passing the field but unless we RTGDF, we will have a buncha 3 and outs.

Us going to K-state and attempting go throw it 65% of the time, scares me. We win by 14+ by RTGDF

This approach is bigger picture. You can't beat Alabama running the football. We were pretty darn close. But we couldn't throw the ball enough to finish that game. In the SEC you have to have a balance obviously, but our inability to pass the ball vertically has always killed us in big games.

Here's why I think this philosophy of Moorhead's works. What's the difference between a 5 yard pass and a 5 yard run? In terms of yardage not much. But when you can consistently pass the ball for 3-5 yards anytime you attempt it, if you run the offense correctly, that sets up the big pass because you are continuously engaging the secondary. But it also gets the defense thinking pass, which opens up the run. So it sets your offense up for bigger chunk runs instead of a lot of smaller runs. That's going to be the difference. If we can do it, I would rather run the ball 30 times for 200 yards instead of 45 times for 225-250 yards.

Yes we will pass it more, but Moorhead's offensive plan shows that his ability to use the short pass game is essentially the same thing as running the football, except he will actually throw the deep ball. If Fitz can throw the deep ball with some accuracy we will be virtually impossible to stop on offense.

Martianlander
04-11-2018, 08:03 AM
This approach is bigger picture. You can't beat Alabama running the football. We were pretty darn close. But we couldn't throw the ball enough to finish that game. In the SEC you have to have a balance obviously, but our inability to pass the ball vertically has always killed us in big games.

Here's why I think this philosophy of Moorhead's works. What's the difference between a 5 yard pass and a 5 yard run? In terms of yardage not much. But when you can consistently pass the ball for 3-5 yards anytime you attempt it, if you run the offense correctly, that sets up the big pass because you are continuously engaging the secondary. But it also gets the defense thinking pass, which opens up the run. So it sets your offense up for bigger chunk runs instead of a lot of smaller runs. That's going to be the difference. If we can do it, I would rather run the ball 30 times for 200 yards instead of 45 times for 225-250 yards.

Yes we will pass it more, but Moorhead's offensive plan shows that his ability to use the short pass game is essentially the same thing as running the football, except he will actually throw the deep ball. If Fitz can throw the deep ball with some accuracy we will be virtually impossible to stop on offense.

Reminds me of Bill Walsh's offense. Of course with Joe Montana and Jerry Rice most offences would look pretty good.

Jack Lambert
04-11-2018, 08:13 AM

Mullen was a great QB coach but he coached his QB's for his offense which was run first. Fitz has the arm and hopefully we have better WR. He will now be coach to pass first. It will be ok.

tireddawg
04-11-2018, 08:27 AM

What's your position on the staff?

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2018, 08:28 AM

I just remember wanting to throw my remote when Mullen would throw it 3 times in a row.

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Consigliere

BoomBoom
04-11-2018, 08:32 AM

I just never want to see us again lose a game we could have easily won by just running the damn ball. Design the offense for your best opponents, those that can stop the run. But when you are playing someone that can't stop the run, then run it down their throats.

HancockCountyDog
04-11-2018, 08:34 AM

If you don't think this team is built to RTGDF then you have no idea what you are talking about. None.

We have two high caliber SEC backs, one of the best running QB's in SEC history and an OL that is built to run block not 5 step drops.

I trust CJM to put us in a position to win though, so my guess is we will be running more than he has done in the past, because it will be successful and good coaches do what is successful and CJM is a good coach.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2018, 08:38 AM
JoeMo last 5 seasons calling plays

2013 Fordham - 564 passes/546 rushes 51.3% passing

2014 Fordham - 532 passes/504 rushes 54.2% passes

2015 Fordham - 353 passes/504 rushes 58.8% rushes

2016 Penn St - 391 passes/540 rushes 58% rushes

2017 Penn St - 458 passes/451 rushes 50.4% passes

The talk of JoeMo being a pass 1st guy vs the reality of his offense differs. He's the definition of a coach that plays to his strengths. I'd bet money we run more than we pass. What we will do is take deep shots & give our guys chances to make plays downfield. That's something Mullen didn't do. We don't really know if Fitz is good at the deep ball because when you only do something maybe once a game that's not a great sample size. Thats like only giving Kylin 2 carries he's gets 5yds
& we say well know he can't be our every down back. 1 thing I'm not worried about this year is this offenses ability to put up points. We will score but we're not about to change into Mike Leach offense either.

tireddawg
04-11-2018, 08:40 AM
If you don't think this team is built to RTGDF then you have no idea what you are talking about. None.

We have two high caliber SEC backs, one of the best running QB's in SEC history and an OL that is built to run block not 5 step drops.

I trust CJM to put us in a position to win though, so my guess is we will be running more than he has done in the past, because it will be successful and good coaches do what is successful and CJM is a good coach.

Where did I say we weren't built to run the ball? I was just messing with shotgun & his reply was great. JM is not a 5 step drop kind of guy anyway, so if we do throw more, it won't always be from the pocket.

TrapGame
04-11-2018, 08:40 AM
I just remember wanting to throw my remote when Mullen would throw it 3 times in a row.

Mullen was the QB Whisperer but Gonzo was the Wide Receiver Destroyer. Honey and vinegar. Getsy is huge in this offensive equation.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-11-2018, 08:57 AM
The new offense was described as a P.R.O. . This is a pass first offense with run option, they really want to move the ball down field.

So they want to move the ball down the field?.....WOW groundbreaking shit right there!!

munk_munk92
04-11-2018, 08:58 AM
I'm excited to see what Austin William's can do. I think he could get a lot of playing time this year

BuckyIsAB****
04-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Highly doubt we will be pass first

JoseBrown
Well, according to Moorhead we will pass or run dependent on the numbers advantage based on the defense. He says we will plan to run, unless the defense brings more numbers than we have blocking, then we will throw. You really can't ask for anything more than that. If the read on the D is to give us advantage throwing it deep, then Fitz will sling it down the field. And he said Fitz can make all the throws as well as KT.

We really had much of nothing last year from the WR position, from coaching on down. I think that gets overlooked quite often. Fitz can't throw it to himself down the field, and Mullen just didn't like taking those risks. I mean, look at our punt returns last year, he had them fair catching damn near everything. And after our 5th string returner runs one to the House, we went back to not returning them and putting returners 1-4 back there as injuries improved for the fair catch duties.

It appears we will be much improved at the WR position, the WR coaching and willingness to let the QB take risks throwing the ball. At least I think so.

BuckyIsAB****
I'm excited to see what Austin William's can do. I think he could get a lot of playing time this year

I have heard nothing but good things about him so far this spring. He has probably been our best and most consistent WR

JoseBrown
04-11-2018, 09:26 AM

Just read Paul Jones' biscuits. He asked Farrod Green which offensive player has made the biggest jump this year, his answer was Austin Williams. Said he was surprised he didn't play last year...

Commercecomet24
04-11-2018, 09:53 AM

The talk of JoeMo being a pass 1st guy vs the reality of his offense differs. He's the definition of a coach that plays to his strengths. I'd bet money we run more than we pass. What we will do is take deep shots & give our guys chances to make plays downfield. That's something Mullen didn't do. We don't really know if Fitz is good at the deep ball because when you only do something maybe once a game that's not a great sample size. Thats like only giving Kylin 2 carries he's gets 5yds
& we say well know he can't be our every down back. 1 thing I'm not worried about this year is this offenses ability to put up points. We will score but we're not about to change into Mike Leach offense either.

This x infinity!

smootness
04-11-2018, 09:54 AM

Who said the passing has to be vertical?

Commercecomet24
04-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Let's put a little faith in Joe. I guarantee you he knows way more than any of us what the strengths and weaknesses are of this offense and how to best take advantage of it. Also, his knowledge of running a D1 offense is probably way more advanced than all of our knowledge combined.

Bully13
04-11-2018, 10:29 AM
I just never want to see us again lose a game we could have easily won by just running the damn ball. Design the offense for your best opponents, those that can stop the run. But when you are playing someone that can't stop the run, then run it down their throats.

this. design the offense you run based on the opponents weaknesses. but we will have to develop a stronger down field passing game if we are going to win the West anytime soon.

I'm sure Joe Mo knows this. by the way, I wonder if there's anyone whose been to some practices who has a take on how well we've been throwing the ball down field so far? have we been emphasizing it? any differences from the Mullen era of practices in that regard?

hey Boomer, we agreed on something today!! LOL

NCDawg
04-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Consigliere

Well then, don't ever tell anybody outside the family what you're thinking.

TrapGame
04-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Well then, don't ever tell anybody outside the family what you're thinking.

I have a pic of Shotgun and Coach Moorhead in a "family" meeting.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/3f/e8/193fe83e6b6bad637d09cbd6f18565db.jpg

AusTexDawg
04-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Reminds me of Bill Walsh's offense.

I know the board has been secretly waiting for someone to bring the West Coast Offense back to Starkvegas***

dawgday166
04-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Reminds me of Bill Walsh's offense. Of course with Joe Montana and Jerry Rice most offences would look pretty good.

That started with Dwight Clark & Freddie Solomon as wideouts, Earl Cooper, and Bill Ring as backs, and Charlie Young at TE. No HOFers there (although Clark may belong but hasn't made it in). This was the 1st SB team. 2nd had same wideouts, Roger Craig & Wendall Tyler as backs, Russ Francis at TE.

Of course Montana was the straw that stirred that drink. Now take someone that rarely got to his 3rd passing option in Steve Young ... Rice and then Owens were critical there. The necessity for at least one elite wideout was evident. Plus Young's penchant to run.

hobiedawg
04-11-2018, 11:59 AM
I have a pic of Shotgun and Coach Moorhead in a "family" meeting.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/3f/e8/193fe83e6b6bad637d09cbd6f18565db.jpg

Looks more like Shotgun and DS to me.

Bully13
04-11-2018, 12:35 PM
hopefully it won't resemble Croom's West Coast Offense. ****

TrapGame
04-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Looks more like Shotgun and DS to me.

You've spent too much time over there.

tcdog70
04-11-2018, 02:32 PM

right --if you are scared just say you are scared--Remember the only thing a wino is scared of--is running out of wine.

I ain't scared--let's beat them all like a Red-headed step-child.

Martianlander
04-11-2018, 02:49 PM
That started with Dwight Clark & Freddie Solomon as wideouts, Earl Cooper, and Bill Ring as backs, and Charlie Young at TE. No HOFers there (although Clark may belong but hasn't made it in). This was the 1st SB team. 2nd had same wideouts, Roger Craig & Wendall Tyler as backs, Russ Francis at TE.

Of course Montana was the straw that stirred that drink. Now take someone that rarely got to his 3rd passing option in Steve Young ... Rice and then Owens were critical there. The necessity for at least one elite wideout was evident. Plus Young's penchant to run.

You're right . I forgot Rice was not there for the first Super Bowl win.

RocketDawg
04-11-2018, 05:33 PM

Special Advisor and Consultant to the Head Coach. But we have to pay for that sort of talent ... currently $3.7M but will no doubt rise dramatically after the first game or two. **

99jc
04-11-2018, 05:43 PM
Let's put a little faith in Joe. I guarantee you he knows way more than any of us what the strengths and weaknesses are of this offense and how to best take advantage of it. Also, his knowledge of running a D1 offense is probably way more advanced than all of our knowledge combined.

This is a poster with a brain. Most of you 17ers go from BB gurus to football Gurus to baseball gurus and are stupid as hell. If you gurus were so damn great at coaching you'd be a coach and not some lame ass poster. Turn off the x-box, Put down your Cheetos and beer and let the real coaches do their job.

Pit Bull
04-11-2018, 06:38 PM

I would prefer R.P.O. Either can move the ball downfield, and either will only work if Nick has really improved his passing game. Last year he did not improve enough as he should have. I'm just not sold yet that Nick will get the passing part down. He'll just have to prove it this year.

Walkerhill
04-11-2018, 07:21 PM
I am not on the Mullen hate bandwagon. He did a good job at State, he was here a long time, it got stale really for both parties, and he left the cupboard well stocked for the next guy.

So this isn?t sour grapes. I just don?t see him as a qb whisperer. He has that rep because he is associated with multiple big name qbs. But did he ever really coach up a qb in terms of improving their mechanics or seeing significant year-over-year stat improvements.

Alex Smith struggled in his first 5 years in the league, Tebow washed out, and Dak played his way into a great situation but his coach has openly talked about how Dak is still improving his craft as a qb. Cam was probably the most league-ready but that can hardly be attributed to Dan.

Dan is not a qb guru. But he is a good talent evaluator that knows how to recruit to his scheme. He understands the need for leadership and toughness to run his scheme and he knows how to find it, and has a a scheme that get numbers advantages by using the qb as a runner that can throw ?good enough?. And he knows how to recruit and develop players that can perform defined roles in his attack.

If anything Dan under-utilizes the pass game that his rushing attack could open up and often treats wide receivers as mobile blockers.

But you can win a lot of games by having a good plan and recruiting to it and executing it well. Dan proved that.

Which is what makes some people a little worried actually, I think. Dan was risk averse, and now it seems more risky to hear we will roll out a precision timing based offense. But, as someone said, JoMo is ultimately a pragmatist with the goal of forcing the defense to leave something open and then taking what they give you. I do not think he is pass happy so much as committed to using high probability passing with occasional deep corner routes to stretch the field both horizontally and vertically to set up the run game. Dan did not do that, he just smashed it down their throats on the ground sprinkled with some mostly short passing and when the good teams could stop that it was either hero time for the qb or we lost.

I think we will be okay, my 2 cents Is Dan did a lot for Mississippi State but if it were completely up to me to have Dan back for a 10th year or bring on JoMo I would pick JoMo, we are in good hands. My bigger concern at this point is how we keep JoMo for nearly a decade if he does what I think he can here.

Walkerhill
04-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Also, coach O and Luke are totally screwed. And maybe even the GusBus as well. The coaching in the West is so, so good and every fan base has high expectations, something is going to have to give.

Todd4State
04-11-2018, 07:35 PM
After reading up about Joe he did mention that the passing system is the same one as the Bill Walsh WCO. In fact, I have a feeling that if Walsh was still coaching his WCO would probably look a lot like Joe's with the QB in the gun even though Walsh didn't like the QB in the gun with some zone/read option running added in and RPO's.

The thing about Walsh's WCO is they were timed out but they were also mostly high percentage throws too. As for us, what I think this is going to lead to is running backs catching the ball more- which means we are going to utilize Aeris and Kylin in the pass game more than Dan did and we are going to use the TE more. I think it's going to mean that instead of QB draw on third and 8 it's going to be something like a RPO with a slant built in giving us a much better chance at converting a third down. Of course, I do expect Joe to push the ball down the field more than Walsh did and of course more than Dan did.

I think there is a fallacy that a pass first offense can't work at MSU. If Ole Miss can make a pass first offense work there, we can certainly do it at MSU. And Joe is going to strive to be balanced. But I do like the Walsh-WCO offense concept of throwing to get the lead and then running to stay there. You run high percentage passes and take occasional shots down the field and get the defense tired and back their safeties out and then it become a LOT easier to run the ball. And that doesn't even take into account the RPO's and what those bring to the table which can be run in just about any down and distance.

Basically when I look at Joe's offense I see the best of the Bill Walsh WCO and the best of the spread meshed together with some RPO's added in. That's going to be a very difficult offense to stop.

Todd4State
04-11-2018, 07:38 PM
I am not on the Mullen hate bandwagon. He did a good job at State, he was here a long time, it got stale really for both parties, and he left the cupboard well stocked for the next guy.

So this isn?t sour grapes. I just don?t see him as a qb whisperer. He has that rep because he is associated with multiple big name qbs. But did he ever really coach up a qb in terms of improving their mechanics or seeing significant year-over-year stat improvements.

Alex Smith struggled in his first 5 years in the league, Tebow washed out, and Dak played his way into a great situation but his coach has openly talked about how Dak is still improving his craft as a qb. Cam was probably the most league-ready but that can hardly be attributed to Dan.

Dan is not a qb guru. But he is a good talent evaluator that knows how to recruit to his scheme. He understands the need for leadership and toughness to run his scheme and he knows how to find it, and has a a scheme that get numbers advantages by using the qb as a runner that can throw ?good enough?. And he knows how to recruit and develop players that can perform defined roles in his attack.

If anything Dan under-utilizes the pass game that his rushing attack could open up and often treats wide receivers as mobile blockers.

But you can win a lot of games by having a good plan and recruiting to it and executing it well. Dan proved that.

Which is what makes some people a little worried actually, I think. Dan was risk averse, and now it seems more risky to hear we will roll out a precision timing based offense. But, as someone said, JoMo is ultimately a pragmatist with the goal of forcing the defense to leave something open and then taking what they give you. I do not think he is pass happy so much as committed to using high probability passing with occasional deep corner routes to stretch the field both horizontally and vertically to set up the run game. Dan did not do that, he just smashed it down their throats on the ground sprinkled with some mostly short passing and when the good teams could stop that it was either hero time for the qb or we lost.

I think we will be okay, my 2 cents Is Dan did a lot for Mississippi State but if it were completely up to me to have Dan back for a 10th year or bring on JoMo I would pick JoMo, we are in good hands. My bigger concern at this point is how we keep JoMo for nearly a decade if he does what I think he can here.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I don't think Dan did his QB's a lot of favors at times because he didn't always play the best personnel or utilize our personnel to the best of our ability. For example- Farrod Green had only 9 receptions on the year. And I don't remember him being injured. Poor recruiting and poor coaching at WR hurt us some too. Basically Dan's offense went as the QB went and if we could run the ball effectively with the QB we were probably going to win. If not, we were probably going to struggle.

I think Dan was a very paranoid coach who didn't trust our players enough. The result was predictability and not getting the most out of our players.

Todd4State
04-11-2018, 07:45 PM
You're right . I forgot Rice was not there for the first Super Bowl win.

Rice wasn't there for the second one either. Walsh was just completely ahead of the other coaches at that time in terms of how to use personnel. I think that was actually his genius- he was a GREAT teacher of football who could evaluate what his players could do and he could utilize them to their fullest potential. See Tom Rathman. Who would ever think a FB from Nebraska who was a great blocker could also be an effective runner and pass catcher? Not very many people did stuff like that at the time. Montana was a very mobile QB and Walsh was one of the first to see value in that from a QB. Walsh essentially used his running backs in a way that is similar to how people use slot receivers and H-Backs now just in a different place in the formation.

Todd4State
04-11-2018, 07:49 PM
hopefully it won't resemble Croom's West Coast Offense. ****

Croom is the polar opposite of Bill Walsh. Poor teacher of offense who tried to make a pass first offense into a power running offense. The first thing Croom should have done is make sure that he got a QB that could make high percentage throws and had some experience in a pro style offense- and he could have gotten one from a JUCO in California that probably would have been solid.

You can argue that we should have run the spread option with Omarr Conner like West Virginia did at that time and you would be correct.

Todd4State
04-11-2018, 07:52 PM

Good post but I just want to add that RPO's are going to make these numbers a lot less cut and dried than they used to be. I agree with your overall point about Joe's offense being balanced.

Homedawg
04-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Good post but I just want to add that RPO's are going to make these numbers a lot less cut and dried than they used to be. I agree with your overall point about Joe's offense being balanced.

While the point of rpo's is valid and can skew the numbers depending on the read, I think what it tells you is, at penn st they had more called runs. You don't run 58% wo a bunch of true run calls. I know down and distance make a huge variable, but you can't convince me that the oppent went pass heavy in the box that often against a team w an incredible rb. Heck they numbers should be reversed.

tcdog70
04-11-2018, 08:35 PM
Croom is the polar opposite of Bill Walsh. Poor teacher of offense who tried to make a pass first offense into a power running offense. The first thing Croom should have done is make sure that he got a QB that could make high percentage throws and had some experience in a pro style offense- and he could have gotten one from a JUCO in California that probably would have been solid.

You can argue that we should have run the spread option with Omarr Conner like West Virginia did at that time and you would be correct.

Omarr could have run Crooms offense. Except we did not have 1 wr that could get open. Plus Omarr was getting hit on every play quickly.

Martianlander
04-12-2018, 08:09 AM
Rice wasn't there for the second one either. Walsh was just completely ahead of the other coaches at that time in terms of how to use personnel. I think that was actually his genius- he was a GREAT teacher of football who could evaluate what his players could do and he could utilize them to their fullest potential. See Tom Rathman. Who would ever think a FB from Nebraska who was a great blocker could also be an effective runner and pass catcher? Not very many people did stuff like that at the time. Montana was a very mobile QB and Walsh was one of the first to see value in that from a QB. Walsh essentially used his running backs in a way that is similar to how people use slot receivers and H-Backs now just in a different place in the formation.

That's right. I'm on a roll. Wrong twice in the same thread!

MoreCowbell
04-12-2018, 08:55 AM

Got to watch him a lot when I lived in Ocean Springs. Kid will be our Eric Decker and has NFL potential.