PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch Paterno?

Lord McBuckethead
04-10-2018, 11:10 PM
Now, with a docudrama like this, you have to take a lot of the facts with a grain of salt, but if Paterno knew in 1976 about Sandusky... that dude might as well been holding kids down for him and introducing him to new kids through the years.

Sick 17.
And to think, he used to talk crap about Sherrill. What a joke and I am glad his legacy has been destroyed.

Lord McBuckethead
04-10-2018, 11:10 PM
Also, Pacino did a heck of a job. From the first scene he nailed it.

Dawg61
04-10-2018, 11:19 PM
Channel?

preachermatt83
04-10-2018, 11:30 PM
Pacino was the perfect pick to play paterno. I was surprised at how good it was. It left me with a lot of questions though. How much Did Joe Pa really know?

preachermatt83
04-10-2018, 11:31 PM
Channel?

HBO

Todd4State
04-10-2018, 11:55 PM
Pacino was the perfect pick to play paterno. I was surprised at how good it was. It left me with a lot of questions though. How much Did Joe Pa really know?

I have a feeling that he knew enough. My question is if he knew why take a chance on that guy? If there were rumors and allegations about Bill Bellichick abusing children I wouldn't hire him if I was a head coach.

Lord McBuckethead
04-10-2018, 11:59 PM
No idea about how much he knew, or when he knew. Either way he never reported it to the police when he did know. Also he allowed Sandusky to remain in contact with young people, on campus none the less.

Now the movie is pretty much a giant fabrication and conjecture Inam sure. But it wouldn't surprise me if universities put themselves first in similar situations. Too much money and influence.

Choctaw Dawg
04-11-2018, 08:08 AM
I get furious everytime I'm reminded of this horrific story. That entire athletic department should have been nuked.

sleepy dawg
04-11-2018, 08:56 AM
I get furious everytime I'm reminded of this horrific story. That entire athletic department should have been nuked.

Same. He knew and so did others. If you followed this story more than just what ESPN was showing, you pretty much already knew that. This wasn't just a situation of a couple of kids getting molested as bad as that is, this was way worse. Sandusky was using Penn St. and charities to help facilitate a little boy sex ring.

THE Bruce Dickinson
04-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Paterno was not a monster.

He reported the 2001 incident to his superiors, one of which who was the head of the university police department. Also, he never actually witnessed the incident. It was a second hand report from 30 year old grad assistant Mike McQuery. Why didn't McQuery just go to the police himself ? Also, If there was a massive decades long cover up, why would Paterno report the incident at all ?

The real criminals were obviously Jerry Sandusky, and the 3 Penn State officials who covered up the report.

Also, the NCAA had no jurisdiction in this case. They saw an opportunity for a money grab and they took it.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2018, 09:26 AM

He reported the 2001 incident to his superiors, one of which who was the head of the university police department. Also, he never actually witnessed the incident. It was a second hand report from 30 year old grad assistant Mike McQuery. Why didn't McQuery just go to the police himself ? Also, If there was a massive decades long cover up, why would Paterno report the incident at all ?

The real criminals were obviously Jerry Sandusky, and the 3 Penn State officials who covered up the report.

Also, the NCAA had no jurisdiction in this case. They saw an opportunity for a money grab and they took it.

But didn't Mike walk in on the actual hardcore act happening? I don't know about anyone else but I would have went to jail after braining Sandusky with whatever heavy object I could have picked up. Considering he didn't do this, I would at least hope he went to Paterno and told him immediately. At that point, if he wasn't very emotional telling him then I would be worried. Paterno would have to know there was some type of truth to what he was saying. At the very least, he should have asked around especially since Sandusky was essentially using his link to PSU football to get the kids. He either knew about it or just didn't want to believe his friend was capable of it. It is kind of like something happening and everyone is saying well he was always just quiet and I didn't think anything like that would happen.

BeardoMSU
04-11-2018, 09:31 AM
I watched it. It was an OK movie, but I was pretty underwhelmed with Pacino, tbh....which makes me sad, because his last several films have felt he's just going through the motions for a paycheck (a common phenomenon in a lot of actors, I know). I don't think he's played a good role since Oceans 13. He is playing Jimmy Hoffa in Scorsese's new gangster film "The Irishman", which will also star De Niro and Joe Pesci, so I have high hopes for him there...

Something that did stand out to me, though, was the guy they got to play Sandusky....that ****er looks just like him. That's got to be weird...

BeastMan
04-11-2018, 09:34 AM
There was a guy on local radio in Jackson saying the whole thing was a conspiracy and Sandusky was innocent. Some lunatic guest.

Liverpooldawg
04-11-2018, 09:40 AM
But didn't Mike walk in on the actual hardcore act happening? I don't know about anyone else but I would have went to jail after braining Sandusky with whatever heavy object I could have picked up. Considering he didn't do this, I would at least hope he went to Paterno and told him immediately. At that point, if he wasn't very emotional telling him then I would be worried. Paterno would have to know there was some type of truth to what he was saying. At the very least, he should have asked around especially since Sandusky was essentially using his link to PSU football to get the kids. He either knew about it or just didn't want to believe his friend was capable of it. It is kind of like something happening and everyone is saying well he was always just quiet and I didn't think anything like that would happen.

That's what I don't get. Why didn't he stop it if he walked in on it?

BeastMan
04-11-2018, 09:49 AM

You’re part about Paterno is incorrect. During an interview with Pennsylvania police about his reporting of the 2001 incident he said it was the 2nd time and there have been documents saying he heard things as early as the 70s

Commercecomet24
04-11-2018, 10:08 AM

That's the part I don't get. How you could walk in on that and not beat the piss out of that old degenerate? smh

THE Bruce Dickinson
04-11-2018, 10:51 AM
You’re part about Paterno is incorrect. During an interview with Pennsylvania police about his reporting of the 2001 incident he said it was the 2nd time and there have been documents saying he heard things as early as the 70s

I disagree with you.

The only other incident that I am aware of that Paterno reportedly knew about was a 1998 complaint about Sandusky that State College police were involved with. Officers listened Sandusky and the child's mother from another room talk about the incident and made no arrests. I have never seen any evidence suggesting that Paterno knew about his behavior all the way back to the 70's.

I don't believe Paterno was a monster. I think he was old and na?ve and didn't completely understand the gravity of the situation as it was happening. He acted in a way that he thought was appropriate in the 2001 investigation by telling his superiors and trusted them to contact the proper authorities, and they failed to do so.

Lord McBuckethead
04-11-2018, 10:55 AM
I watched it. It was an OK movie, but I was pretty underwhelmed with Pacino, tbh....which makes me sad, because his last several films have felt he's just going through the motions for a paycheck (a common phenomenon in a lot of actors, I know). I don't think he's played a good role since Oceans 13. He is playing Jimmy Hoffa in Scorsese's new gangster film "The Irishman", which will also star De Niro and Joe Pesci, so I have high hopes for him there...

Something that did stand out to me, though, was the guy they got to play Sandusky....that ****er looks just like him. That's got to be weird...

The only time since 2011 that looking like Sandusky was a good thing. Might as well make a bag of money for not having a single line.

Lord McBuckethead
04-11-2018, 10:56 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/sports/ncaafootball/joe-paterno-jerry-sandusky-sex-abuse-penn-state-1976-court-documents.html

Bully13
04-11-2018, 11:01 AM
once Paterno got the message from Mike M, anyone with common sense should have known you just don't make shit up like that. you do MORE than just reporting it to your superiors if they refuse to act.

17 Mike M. too. he's a 17ing coward by not stopping the act when he saw it and not going to the police once he knew that 17 was still being allowed with the kids and nothing was being done.

btw, where's Mike M these days?

BeastMan
04-11-2018, 11:02 AM
I disagree with you.

The only other incident that I am aware of that Paterno reportedly knew about was a 1998 complaint about Sandusky that State College police were involved with. Officers listened Sandusky and the child's mother from another room talk about the incident and made no arrests. I have never seen any evidence suggesting that Paterno knew about his behavior all the way back to the 70's.

I don't believe Paterno was a monster. I think he was old and na?ve and didn't completely understand the gravity of the situation as it was happening. He acted in a way that he thought was appropriate in the 2001 investigation by telling his superiors and trusted them to contact the proper authorities, and they failed to do so.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/09/us/penn-state-paterno-sandusky-police-report/index.html

That’s 1 source in literally 2 seconds of looking. I think Paterno heard rumblings and was too worried about how he’d look to do the right thing. His ego wouldn’t let him. Do I think he saw a rape? No. But it took a first hand witness to get him to speak up because of 1 thing: ego. He waited until he couldn’t. At a minimum he’s a selfish prick who failed to report a child predator. But it’s not just him, it’s that whole town and administration

BeardoMSU
04-11-2018, 11:18 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/09/us/penn-state-paterno-sandusky-police-report/index.html

That’s 1 source I’m literally 2 seconds of looking. I think Paterno heard rumblings and was too worried about how he’d look to do the right thing. His ego wouldn’t let him. Do I think he saw a rape? No. But it took a first hand witness to get him to speak up because of 1 thing: ego. He waited until he couldn’t. At a minimum he’s a selfish prick who failed to report a child predator. But it’s not just him, it’s that whole town and administration

Pretty much this.

sleepy dawg
04-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Pretty much this.

Exactly this. If you don't think Paterno is guilty as shit, you are trying to not see the truth.

Commercecomet24
04-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Exactly this. If you don't think Paterno is guilty as shit, you are trying to not see the truth.

Yep. How can anyone, as a human being, know that is going on and not put a stop to it and still sleep at night and look yourself in the mirror. Person that can do that has absolutely no conscious or regard for anyone else.

THE Bruce Dickinson
04-11-2018, 01:22 PM

That’s 1 source in literally 2 seconds of looking. I think Paterno heard rumblings and was too worried about how he’d look to do the right thing. His ego wouldn’t let him. Do I think he saw a rape? No. But it took a first hand witness to get him to speak up because of 1 thing: ego. He waited until he couldn’t. At a minimum he’s a selfish prick who failed to report a child predator. But it’s not just him, it’s that whole town and administration

The story of that witness does not add up at all. I am not going to continue debating this because we aren't going to change each other's minds about the topic.

Bully13
04-11-2018, 01:26 PM
The story of that witness does not add up at all. I am not going to continue debating this because we aren't going to change each other's minds about the topic.

In what way does the witness story not add up? never heard anything on that.

BeastMan
04-11-2018, 01:40 PM

If you follow true crime, as I do, rarely are criminal investigations tidy and end up wrapped in a bow. After all, you’re investigating criminals, liars, and in this case child predators also. If you read the Freeh report and look at this case in totality, it’s crystal clear.

There is one guy, a conspiracy theorist, who asserts that it’s all a conspiracy and Sandusky was framed. I won’t mention his name because he’s a pos. He was on 105.9 in Jackson once and I’ll never understand why that was allowed. He has a website and documentary so it’s not hard to find his work should you choose to follow bullshit.

THE Bruce Dickinson
04-11-2018, 02:13 PM
In what way does the witness story not add up? never heard anything on that.

The witness referred to as John Doe 150 was a 14 year old boy attending Penn State football camp in 1976. This was not one Sandusky's Second Mile kids because the foundation wasn't set up until 1977.

The witness claims that Sandusky assaulted him while he was showering, and when he told Paterno about it, Paterno said something along the lines of "I don't have time for this, I have a football season to worry about".

This person was never cross examined due to the fact that Paterno was not on trial and he was not one of the victims that the DA brought up charges for against Sandusky. Paterno also never had the chance to defend himself because he was dead.

Why would a kid be showering at the football facility during a summer camp (alone I presume) and when during a summer camp does a kid have a chance to have one on one time with a famous head football coach? The guy made his statements and they were taken as 100% fact.

Bully13
04-11-2018, 02:22 PM
The witness referred to as John Doe 150 was a 14 year old boy attending Penn State football camp in 1976. This was not one Sandusky's Second Mile kids because the foundation wasn't set up until 1977.

The witness claims that Sandusky assaulted him while he was showering, and when he told Paterno about it, Paterno said something along the lines of "I don't have time for this, I have a football season to worry about".

This person was never cross examined due to the fact that Paterno was not on trial and he was not one of the victims that the DA brought up charges for against Sandusky. Paterno also never had the chance to defend himself because he was dead.

Why would a kid be showering at the football facility during a summer camp (alone I presume) and when during a summer camp does a kid have a chance to have one on one time with a famous head football coach? The guy made his statements and they were taken as 100% fact.

that may be legit but what about the Mike M. coach who saw that event and reported it?

THE Bruce Dickinson
04-11-2018, 02:48 PM
McQueary's testimony is undisputed.

I was just debating that it is a 100% truth that Joe Paterno knew about Sandusky's behavior all the way back to the 70's.

Quaoarsking
04-11-2018, 03:01 PM

You absolutely refuse to change your mind no matter what? That's unfortunate.

I'll change my mind about anything if I get new, better, or corrected information.

Bully13
04-11-2018, 03:07 PM
McQueary's testimony is undisputed.

I was just debating that it is a 100% truth that Joe Paterno knew about Sandusky's behavior all the way back to the 70's.

cool, but if the McQueary testimony is legit, I'm saying Paterno and McQueary are pathetic cowards.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2018, 04:03 PM
cool, but if the McQueary testimony is legit, I'm saying Paterno and McQueary are pathetic cowards.

Agreed. Paterno probably died from shame of people finding out he wasn't as holy as he put on. I am sure he did a lot of good in his life but letting little kids get raped completely tarnishes his image.

Memphisbulldog
04-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Now, with a docudrama like this, you have to take a lot of the facts with a grain of salt, but if Paterno knew in 1976 about Sandusky... that dude might as well been holding kids down for him and introducing him to new kids through the years.

Sick 17.
And to think, he used to talk crap about Sherrill. What a joke and I am glad his legacy has been destroyed.

I liked the movie.

I think Paterno got what he had coming. I?m a little biased because of his comments about Jackie. Jackie later said they had made peace and were friends. I never forgave him though.

Bully13
04-12-2018, 06:43 AM
for all the shit JWS received from people throughout his life, I'm surprised he never got arrested for physical assault. Guy can shake it off as good as anybody.