PDA

View Full Version : Only a State fan could feel slightly more optimistic after a 59 to 26 loss

grinnindawg
10-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Am I the only one that feels a little better after this game?

We hung with a top ten 10ish team for 3 quarters while coaching and playing a less than perfect game. There were also a couple of calls/no calls on critical plays that were key. The hold and possible face mask no call on LSU's first TD was ridiculous.

LSU's QB, RB and WRs are way better than ours. Our DBs look hurt, sad, and out of place at times but other than that when was the last time we matched up talent wise with a top tier SEC team?

I thought we had no shot at SC, A&M and Bama. Bama is a pipe dream, A&M will be tough, but I've gone from 1/100 to 3/10 for SC. Even though we can't win at Ark, the idiot State fan in me has started thinking maybe this is the year.

Mullen has one important thing he needs to change. He has a fault that was part of Sherrill's downfall, at times he's more loyal to individuals than the team. Jones is disruptive, Evans is as well at times. These aren't the only examples. When State has a superior player, he needs to be on the field. Tell the older guy, "love you man, but you see it and I see it, he makes the team better". Making excuses about how young we are when several of the youngsters are obviously superior to the JRs and SRs may have worked at Florida, but at State it won't cut it.

CJDAWG85
10-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Beckham and Landry will be the best WR's we face all year. Those guys are sick. But we have to remember that our DB's are depleted and very young. We also get our best DB on the field this week. I was proud of the fight our boys put up. A lot of positives that can be pulled from that game, but we are still missing on some key plays.

msugolf
10-06-2013, 09:26 PM
No you're not the only one. However, I'm not one of them. But they're all over the place, here, 6pack, etc. Unfortunately that's what makes us bottom feeders and has led to apathy for those select few who desire more from MState football.

chef dixon
10-06-2013, 09:35 PM
No you're not the only one. However, I'm not one of them. But they're all over the place, here, 6pack, etc. Unfortunately that's what makes us bottom feeders and has led to apathy for those select few who desire more from MState football.

The "select few" is not some type of exclusive minority. Every single one of our fans wants more, that's why we are fans. However, the 100+ year history of MSU football says that it is highly unlikely some sort of magic potion is found to turn us into world beaters (you know, like the one Ole Miss found this past February). This is why we have to take what we have and try to find optimism. Yea it sucks, but it could certainly be worse. You could be a USM fan.

Dawgface
10-07-2013, 07:30 AM

I'm excited about next year. :) That's what I seem to hear more and more from people trying to find something positive to talk about. Maybe I should look at things that way. I'm a little more into what's happening now.

SPMT
10-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Beckham and Landry will be the best WR's we face all year. Those guys are sick. But we have to remember that our DB's are depleted and very young. We also get our best DB on the field this week. I was proud of the fight our boys put up. A lot of positives that can be pulled from that game, but we are still missing on some key plays.

I'm thinking we may be in for a ride awakening. Landry and Beckham and great, however I'm concerned with the fact that Landry isn't all that fast and neither one of them are big receivers.

Against A&M we will face a 6'3+ receiver who is also slowish but has great hands.

Same with Bama, they have (4) 6'+ guys that can run and catch. Not as seasoned as Landry and Beckham probably but as physically gifted if not more so.

msstate7
10-07-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm thinking we may be in for a ride awakening. Landry and Beckham and great, however I'm concerned with the fact that Landry isn't all that fast and neither one of them are big receivers.

Against A&M we will face a 6'3+ receiver who is also slowish but has great hands.

Same with Bama, they have (4) 6'+ guys that can run and catch. Not as seasoned as Landry and Beckham probably but as physically gifted if not more so.

We've got to get love healthy, Redmond some game action, and Whitley off the field. If we do this, we'll be ok

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2013, 08:19 AM

We hung with a top ten 10ish team for 3 quarters while coaching and playing a less than perfect game. There were also a couple of calls/no calls on critical plays that were key. The hold and possible face mask no call on LSU's first TD was ridiculous.

LSU's QB, RB and WRs are way better than ours. Our DBs look hurt, sad, and out of place at times but other than that when was the last time we matched up talent wise with a top tier SEC team?

I thought we had no shot at SC, A&M and Bama. Bama is a pipe dream, A&M will be tough, but I've gone from 1/100 to 3/10 for SC. Even though we can't win at Ark, the idiot State fan in me has started thinking maybe this is the year.

Mullen has one important thing he needs to change. He has a fault that was part of Sherrill's downfall, at times he's more loyal to individuals than the team. Jones is disruptive, Evans is as well at times. These aren't the only examples. When State has a superior player, he needs to be on the field. Tell the older guy, "love you man, but you see it and I see it, he makes the team better". Making excuses about how young we are when several of the youngsters are obviously superior to the JRs and SRs may have worked at Florida, but at State it won't cut it.

Pretty sure OM felt the same way after the Texas game last season. This is why I don't discuss final scores in analyzing games. The score wasn't indicative of how competitive the game was.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-07-2013, 08:56 AM
I disagree with the less than perfect coaching. I felt like play calling and coaching was the best in-game coaching I've seen since the Michigan game, at least on the offensive side of the ball. And that makes losing 59-26(ish) even worse to me

ckDOG
10-07-2013, 09:08 AM

I hope our WRs, Morrow in particular, took notes. When our secondary actually provided decent coverage, their receivers went for the ball. It was impressive. Our guys appear to demand a perfectly placed ball with no contact and that's doesn't always work either. Morrow had a great chance to grab a long ball near the endzone in the fourth. He had a well placed ball between the corner and safety coverage. He let the ball come to him. That gave the secondary an extra half second to hawk the ball. Result incompletion. Use your body and get the damn ball, this is the SEC.

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I hope our WRs, Morrow in particular, took notes. When our secondary actually provided decent coverage, their receivers went for the ball. It was impressive. Our guys appear to demand a perfectly placed ball with no contact and that's doesn't always work either. Morrow had a great chance to grab a long ball near the endzone in the fourth. He had a well placed ball between the corner and safety coverage. He let the ball come to him. That gave the secondary an extra half second to hawk the ball. Result incompletion. Use your body and get the damn ball, this is the SEC.

This^

ChupacabraDawg
10-07-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm with you. I wrote a post about this the other day. We played well. Our secondary is pretty deficient but offensively I thought we were pretty decent and our D-Line is getting better pressure. We have a lot of future potential. This season is pretty much a wash in my opinion but I think we set up for next year to be a good year for us.

CadaverDawg
10-07-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm with you. I wrote a post about this the other day. We played well. Our secondary is pretty deficient but offensively I thought we were pretty decent and our D-Line is getting better pressure. We have a lot of future potential. This season is pretty much a wash in my opinion but I think we set up for next year to be a good year for us.

I have thought that about this season for a while, but I still feel like it is ultra important for us to get to 6 wins. Mullen needs to pull something out of his ass to get us to a bowl game this year, or we will take a step back. Even a BBVA bowl will keep us as a "winning" program, and that is huge in recruiting....especially against the idiots in Oxford.

ChupacabraDawg
10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
I have thought that about this season for a while, but I still feel like it is ultra important for us to get to 6 wins. Mullen needs to pull something out of his ass to get us to a bowl game this year, or we will take a step back. Even a BBVA bowl will keep us as a "winning" program, and that is huge in recruiting....especially against the idiots in Oxford.

I completely agree. I think we still have a chance to win 6. I wrote somewhere yesterday that the East is not that daunting outside of UGA. We can beat USC even at their house. They are not that good and we are getting better every game. We just have to put a complete game together and we knock some of these teams off. I mean look at yesterday if we play 4 quarters how we played the first 3 we probably win that game and our season looks like we have a shot to be good again.

Squidawg11
10-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I think the optimism comes from the fact that we physically hung with a top tier SEC team, which we have not done in a while. With the exception of receivers, we looked on par with LSU from a talent standpoint. We still need more depth, but for the first time in a while, we were not beat physically until the 4th quarter.

bocfarm
10-07-2013, 10:49 AM
"Only a State fan could feel slightly more optimistic after a 59 to 26 loss"

And OM fans