In all 4 "biggest" sports in the same year

I'm not counting the NIT.

Bowl
Regional
Men's and women's NCAA tournament

It feels like we are on the cusp of doing it on a very regular basis

Turfdawg67
04-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Agree on being on the cusp, but why exclude the NIT? If you do that, shouldn't we exclude 30% of the shit bowls too?

deadheaddawg
04-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Probably should, but that's a lot of trouble to determine what bowls are shit bowls.

But I'm flexible. We can do it whichever way.

(I just don't consider the nit "real" postseason. But that's just me" I do enjoy watching it and glad we got a lot of extra playing and practice time this year)

Turfdawg67
04-10-2018, 06:11 PM
Probably should, but that's a lot of trouble to determine what bowls are shit bowls.

But I'm flexible. We can do it whichever way.

(I just don't consider the nit "real" postseason. But that's just me" I do enjoy watching it and glad we got a lot of extra playing and practice time this year)

Yep! That's why any postseason is valuable, extra practice, extra games, extra experience and with FB, I believe EE's get to practice too!

RocketDawg
04-10-2018, 06:23 PM
I thought there was always the "Big 3" talked about on sports boards ... football, men's basketball, and baseball. Does everybody consider women's basketball a major sport, or is it just us and a few other select schools that are doing well?

Bulldog1
04-10-2018, 06:26 PM
I thought there was always the "Big 3" talked about on sports boards ... football, men's basketball, and baseball. Does everybody consider women's basketball a major sport, or is it just us and a few other select schools that are doing well?

The powerhouses consider it a "big 4" sport.

deadheaddawg
04-10-2018, 06:30 PM

I would think most don't consider it "big" but it's clearly #4.....maybe even #3 across the whole country. I suspect women's bb is bigger than baseball at most schools

Turfdawg67
04-10-2018, 06:42 PM
To answer your original question... I would suspect never. Maybe 1999? Would have to Google it, but I'm lazy.

Liverpooldawg
04-10-2018, 06:44 PM
There are two major sports: football and men's basketball. The only people who care about the others are people whose teams are good.

deadheaddawg
04-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Yeah "major" is pretty subjective. I Should have went with "biggest"

RocketDawg
04-10-2018, 07:16 PM
There are two major sports: football and men's basketball. The only people who care about the others are people whose teams are good.

That's probably true, and I'd say in general football far outranks basketball, but I'm used to the SEC. That's certainly not true in smaller schools, many of the private (e.g., Villanova ... they may not even have a basketball team). One reason of course is interest, but another is that it's fairly cheap to play. Football is outrageously expensive. College baseball is pretty much a warm weather sport, and some locations are still pretty cold by the time the college season is over.

RocketDawg
04-10-2018, 07:18 PM

True. Before Schaefer came to MSU, they were sometimes giving tickets away to women's basketball, and very few went to see the games even then. I guess all fans like winners. It's certainly big now, at our school. Bigger than men's basketball and baseball, based on attendance.

BrunswickDawg
04-10-2018, 07:27 PM
We've never done it in all 4. The Big 3 have made it in the same season, and we've done WBB, baseball and football in the same season.

deadheaddawg
04-10-2018, 07:35 PM
We've never done it in all 4. The Big 3 have made it in the same season, and we've done WBB, baseball and football in the same season.

Interesting.

I think we will next year

BuckyIsAB****
04-10-2018, 07:38 PM

I would say it depends on the region. SEC/ACC baseball is pretty big. SEC mens basketball is on the comeback and we all know football.

I would say the Pac12 Big 10 probably dont even know they have baseball programs. Considering I cant remember the last time any of them in the big 10 were noticeably good.

Pac12 has a lot of other stuff to do, big reason why USC/UCLA people dont care about anything

Turfdawg67
04-10-2018, 07:48 PM

So, back to my guess... 1999. The WBB team made their 1st post season in, forever? Our football team won 10 games that year I think. The men's BB team was only 2 years removed from their Final Four appearance and probably made the post-season... so that leaves Baseball. We had some good teams in the late 90's/ early 2000's. Which one failed?!?

BrunswickDawg
04-10-2018, 08:06 PM
So, back to my guess... 1999. The WBB team made their 1st post season in, forever? Our football team won 10 games that year I think. The men's BB team was only 2 years removed from their Final Four appearance and probably made the post-season... so that leaves Baseball. We had some good teams in the late 90's/ early 2000's. Which one failed?!?
1999 was WBB (their first NCAA appearance ever), Football and baseball. Men's basketball failed that year.

sleepy dawg
04-10-2018, 08:09 PM

Actually baseball probably isn't even in this if you're talking nationally. College Hockey and Women's basketball produces more revenue than baseball, so baseball is actually 5th nationally.

Turfdawg67
04-10-2018, 08:40 PM
1999 was WBB (their first NCAA appearance ever), Football and baseball. Men's basketball failed that year.

Ouch! Probably Williams' last year.

Bulldog1
04-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Ouch! Probably Williams' last year.

I believe it was Stans 1st or 2nd year.

Dawg61
04-10-2018, 08:41 PM

This isn’t true. We suck at baseball this year yet we still care. So does LSU so does USCe.

Quaoarsking
04-10-2018, 08:45 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MmTu5wt.png

Teal indicates that we would have probably made a bowl/NCAAT under current rules.