PDA

View Full Version : We do not have below average talent in baseball

04-09-2018, 02:13 PM
I've seen this in too many places so I started a thread rather than replying to each one, but of course Shotgundog is the main offender, and of course the dumb butthurt bears on Nafoom

We do not have a talent problem, we have plenty of talent. We have a FRESHMEN problem. How can anyone in their right mind think that there isn't national championship talent here:

Josh Hatcher - drafted in 39th round, has dropped 3 bombs and hitting near .300
Tanner Allen - drafted in 36th round, currently our 3 hole hitter
Justin Foscue - has the most balls on the team and has dropped 2 bombs
Rowdey Jordan - already dropped 2 bombs
Jordan Anderson - drafted in 40th round
Jordan Westburg - playing a bunch as a freshman as well

We will certainly need to add some pitching in the coming years but that is correctable

Same nimrods saying we don't have talent are raving over Ole Miss' talent and guess what, those guys looked like our guys last year, the ONLY difference is Ole Miss didn't have the rash of pitching injuries we had, that's the only difference in the two programs overall

Just pointing out facts for the folks thinking we have a total rebuild on our hands, not even close, our new coach will win big in the first 2 years

deadheaddawg
04-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Is Henderson that bad of a coach? Or is it just the coaching change at the beginning of the season?

Bulldog1
04-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Is Henderson that bad of a coach? Or is it just the coaching change at the beginning of the season?

Yes. That or he purposely sabotages our games.

04-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Naw he's not that bad, more likely just average head material, but pretty good assistant material, and he's just dealing with some bad luck. If someone wants to say our pitching depth doesn't contain elite talent, I could almost understand that, because probably the most talented arms on our team, Breaux, Self and Ashcraft, are on the sidelines. Keegan James isn't 100% either

All those guys return next year hopefully 100%, and I wouldn't be mad if Henderson is retained as pitching coach. Not sure he'll do it though, he might be ready to move on

confucius say
04-09-2018, 02:39 PM
We have an upper class talent problem.

And we do have several solid freshmen, but no instant impact guys with exception maybe of Allen. The problem is we are having to play those guys before they are ready bc of a lack of upper class talent.

And Teams all over the league have freshmen that are great. That is common in baseball.

04-09-2018, 02:41 PM
And Teams all over the league have freshmen that are great. That is common in baseball.
Yeah, no it's not

Don't bother naming off a handful of players, there are literally thousands of freshmen who aren't great, to combat that. It's a bad premise. Just because Florida has one every year doesn't make it normal

Bulldog1
04-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Naw he's not that bad, more likely just average head material, but pretty good assistant material, and he's just dealing with some bad luck. If someone wants to say our pitching depth doesn't contain elite talent, I could almost understand that, because probably the most talented arms on our team, Breaux, Self and Ashcraft, are on the sidelines. Keegan James isn't 100% either

All those guys return next year hopefully 100%, and I wouldn't be mad if Henderson is retained as pitching coach. Not sure he'll do it though, he might be ready to move on
I figure our new coach will bring a new pitching coach.

BrunswickDawg
04-09-2018, 03:03 PM
I know I lean optimist, but I don't think this team is as bad as so many think.

You have a team that during the off season had an indifferent at best HC, a rumored drug problem (which shows issues with work and commitment), and a team everyone knew was going to be young. Add all of this to playing 12 road games to start the season, 19 of 33 so far, and 24 of 38 by SBW, and you have a major mountain to climb. I don't care who we were playing - having 19 road games at this point in the season is insane and takes a huge toll. Some SEC teams have played as few as 7 road games right now. The fact that we are 17-16 overall with all of that shows we have talent. Take 2 at AU, beat Memphis, and it sets up a big SBW against UPig. Remember, all those Cohen teams that caught fire in late in the season when everyone on SPS was melting down about FAIR COINZ?? 2011 going 10-3 down the stretch (after having been 25-18 and 8-13 in the SEC?). The big difference in that seasons and this one is playing so much on the road. If we had a normal schedule this year we are sitting at at least 20 wins right now an everyone is thinking "not bad for a bunch of Freshmen. Maybe we can make a run."

Cooterpoot
04-09-2018, 03:23 PM
This team just isn't a good SEC baseball team. That's it. The reasons don't matter at this point. Move on and fix it.

confucius say
04-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Yeah, no it's not

Don't bother naming off a handful of players, there are literally thousands of freshmen who aren't great, to combat that. It's a bad premise. Just because Florida has one every year doesn't make it normal

So don?t name off 12-15 instant impact freshman in the sec bc there are 100 who are not instant impact freshman? Ok.

Again, we have several freshmen who have a chance to be really good players. But none, save maybe Allen, are instant impact guys like Mangum was. It?s okay, it?s not their fault they have to play now due to a lack of upperclassmen talent.

04-09-2018, 03:44 PM
This team just isn't a good SEC baseball team. That's it. The reasons don't matter at this point. Move on and fix it.
How do you fix it if you don't know the reasons? Duh

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2018, 04:10 PM
I agree. Its been a perfect storm that has hit our program. We will be fine.

Biggest need is adding some arms and avoiding injury. Ya know other than hiring an elite HC which we are going to do

Turfdawg67
04-09-2018, 04:20 PM
I was gonna reply to Shotgun post earlier about how we wouldn’t make a regional because we weren’t any good, but I figured, what good would it do. But since you started a thread I was going to ask what in the hell happened to all those top10 classes we signed over the last few years?!?

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-09-2018, 05:17 PM
I was gonna reply to Shotgun post earlier about how we wouldn?t make a regional because we weren?t any good, but I figured, what good would it do. But since you started a thread I was going to ask what in the hell happened to all those top10 classes we signed over the last few years?!?

All those top 10 classes are playing minor league ball instead of wearing maroon and white....and horrendous black every once in a while.

Bully13
04-09-2018, 05:24 PM
I was gonna reply to Shotgun post earlier about how we wouldn’t make a regional because we weren’t any good, but I figured, what good would it do. But since you started a thread I was going to ask what in the hell happened to all those top10 classes we signed over the last few years?!?

yep, that's what's been the head scratcher to me. all these top 10 classes and yet we suck uhGAIN.

99jc
04-09-2018, 05:49 PM
This team is full of weak ass hitters that's the main problem.

Bully13
04-09-2018, 06:01 PM
This team is full of weak ass hitters that's the main problem.

yep. our batting avgs overall are atrocious. I'd be willing to bet our WHIP's stats are just as bad.. hitting instruction / coaching has not been good. that just seems to be a fact that can't be denied at this point.

Todd4State
04-09-2018, 08:25 PM

We only have one top 10 class on campus and that is Mangum's class. We do have some classes that are ranked in the top 10 currently that haven't finished high school yet.

Part of it again is recruiting too many JUCO players- they eat up spots that could and should be used on high school players that we could develop and have a much higher upside. If we lose a guy like Austin Riley who is a no brainer star and would have made an impact in college on day on one but he goes pro because those types of players are also draft risks- replace them with someone that is like Brent Rooker who had a good frame and good tools to work with that isn't refined and develop them into a good player in 2-3 years instead of taking a JUCO as a stopgap.

And also as far as the JUCO's go- Will Coggin should get a lot more blame for that than he does. Based on the ones that went to Southern and La Tech- I'm not sure if we even recruited the best JUCO's on top of everything else.

Todd4State
04-09-2018, 08:26 PM
I agree. Its been a perfect storm that has hit our program. We will be fine.

Biggest need is adding some arms and avoiding injury. Ya know other than hiring an elite HC which we are going to do

And we need to upgrade our strength and conditioning.

Bulldog1
04-09-2018, 08:27 PM
We only have one top 10 class on campus and that is Mangum's class. We do have some classes that are ranked in the top 10 currently that haven't finished high school yet.

Part of it again is recruiting too many JUCO players- they eat up spots that could and should be used on high school players that we could develop and have a much higher upside. If we lose a guy like Austin Riley who is a no brainer star and would have made an impact in college on day on one but he goes pro because those types of players are also draft risks- replace them with someone that is like Brent Rooker who had a good frame and good tools to work with that isn't refined and develop them into a good player in 2-3 years instead of taking a JUCO as a stopgap.

And also as far as the JUCO's go- Will Coggin should get a lot more blame for that than he does. Based on the ones that went to Southern and La Tech- I'm not sure if we even recruited the best JUCO's on top of everything else.

I just went and looked, We have 11 of the 27 players on this roster out of that class with around 4 of them being injured pitchers.

Todd4State
04-09-2018, 08:34 PM
I just went and looked, We have 11 of the 27 players on this roster out of that class with around 4 of them being injured pitchers.

And the injuries definitely affected that class in a major way- no question about that. The silver lining is they are just now starting to get healthy and I think we will get some production out of Keegan James, Small, and Breaux and we're starting to see that with the first two guys I listed.

Cooterpoot
04-10-2018, 03:59 AM
How do you fix it if you don't know the reasons? Duh

Who said we don?t know the problem? I said it doesn?t matter at this point. You go hire a good coach and recruit better players. It?s not rocket science. We don?t have average depth or overall talent. We have no coaching.

ShotgunDawg
04-10-2018, 08:28 AM
I've seen this in too many places so I started a thread rather than replying to each one, but of course Shotgundog is the main offender, and of course the dumb butthurt bears on Nafoom

We do not have a talent problem, we have plenty of talent. We have a FRESHMEN problem. How can anyone in their right mind think that there isn't national championship talent here:

Josh Hatcher - drafted in 39th round, has dropped 3 bombs and hitting near .300
Tanner Allen - drafted in 36th round, currently our 3 hole hitter
Justin Foscue - has the most balls on the team and has dropped 2 bombs
Rowdey Jordan - already dropped 2 bombs
Jordan Anderson - drafted in 40th round
Jordan Westburg - playing a bunch as a freshman as well

We will certainly need to add some pitching in the coming years but that is correctable

Same nimrods saying we don't have talent are raving over Ole Miss' talent and guess what, those guys looked like our guys last year, the ONLY difference is Ole Miss didn't have the rash of pitching injuries we had, that's the only difference in the two programs overall

Just pointing out facts for the folks thinking we have a total rebuild on our hands, not even close, our new coach will win big in the first 2 years

We do have a talent problem when comparing to the top 6 teams in the SEC.

Do we have some good players? Yes

But we don?t have as many good ones as Florida, Arkansas, Ole Miss (yes, I realize we beat them), A&M, LSU, Kentucky, & Auburn.

We don?t have bad players. We just don?t have enough guys that move the needle/future MLB players.

tcdog70
04-10-2018, 09:24 AM
The part that worries Me, is watching these guys hit, they have poor judgement on hitter's counts. if you are a poor breaking ball hitter then you must not get behind on the count. You should hit the 1st fastball that comes your way. Too may times we look at first pitch fastball then fish at sliders. Several times we look at fastballs on a 2-0 count (note Luke tattooed a 2-0 fastball for the walk off) . And notice how many times on 3-1 count we are timid and try to walk instead of driving a 3-1 pitch. Our inability to put a ball in play to the right side with a runner on third and less that 2 outs has cost us. In baseball little things win ball games.

mstatefan91
04-10-2018, 09:28 AM
I nearly got laughed off the board for stating as much a couple of weeks ago. This place is as fickle as they come. Beat OM and all of a sudden people are more receptive.

04-10-2018, 11:10 AM
We do have a talent problem when comparing to the top 6 teams in the SEC.

Do we have some good players? Yes

But we don?t have as many good ones as Florida, Arkansas, Ole Miss (yes, I realize we beat them), A&M, LSU, Kentucky, & Auburn.

We don?t have bad players. We just don?t have enough guys that move the needle/future MLB players.

Because they are freshmen. I've already listed them. MLB disagrees with you, the TALENT is there, which is what this thread is about, not the measure of the overall player/team at this snapshot in April 2018

Give me a holler over the next two years when you find out just how wrong you are

ShotgunDawg
04-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Because they are freshmen. I've already listed them. MLB disagrees with you, the TALENT is there, which is what this thread is about, not the measure of the overall player/team at this snapshot in April 2018

Give me a holler over the next two years when you find out just how wrong you are

MLB does not disagree with me.

If these guys were big time prospects, they would've gone in the higher than the 30th round

04-10-2018, 11:29 AM
MLB does not disagree with me.

If these guys were big time prospects, they would've gone in the higher than the 30th round

Only a select few teams have those type of prospects, and our infrastructure doesn't lend itself to attracting that type, never has, even under Cohen

O'Sullivan has Florida humming at a Saban/Alabama level, stop comparing us to them or Vandy and their scholarship money, it's dumb

We've signed these guys before: Corey Dickerson, Runey Davis, William Dupont, Chase Vallot, Austin Riley, Greg Pickett, Walker Robbins, Quentin Holmes, Bryce Hutchinson, Rey Rivera and the 1B from ICC, can't remember his name. We simply cannot sign these position players. No, we must sign the next round of guys, like everyone else, the late round draftees that develop into elite college talent - the Renfroes and Fraziers

Every now and again we can sign a top round pitcher, but even that is rare. Ole Miss isn't signing top round guys either, look at where Johnson, Kessinger and Rolison went

Stop digging your hole. It's ok, you didn't have the information before, but now you do, so stop

dawgs
04-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Only a select few teams have those type of prospects, and our infrastructure doesn't lend itself to attracting that type, never has, even under Cohen

O'Sullivan has Florida humming at a Saban/Alabama level, stop comparing us to them or Vandy and their scholarship money, it's dumb

Then why invest in a new stadium? We should just shut down the program if we can't compete at the highest level. What kinda scholarship money is coastal Carolina handing out? Fresno st? Oregon st? Oregon has high in state tuition for in state kids going to public universities (much higher than MS) and doesn't have a very deep state funded scholarship program like Georgia and Louisiana as far as I know.

dawgs
04-10-2018, 12:56 PM

That fact ain't gonna mean shit if OM wins the CWS, and they are definitely positioning themselves to make a run at it this year despite losing 2 of 3 to us.