PDA

View Full Version : Picture Quality on SEC+

boonedawg
04-09-2018, 05:50 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the ability to stream our games. The camerawork is very good, however, it seems that the picture quality lacks a little. It seems like the "contrast" or some other setting renders the picture quality appears washed-out and dark. I've noticed it in basketball too. It is hard to even see the players' faces unless it is a closeup. The color is dingy too. I've compared it to other SEC broadcasts and they seem much better. Has anybody else experienced this?

Lord McBuckethead
04-09-2018, 08:58 AM
Yes. Every broadcast from MSU looks to be slighting out of focus and dark. Football as well.
For comparison, watch one of Florida's basketball broadcast or Bamas Football broadcast. Lighting is better and the image looks less grainy.
I always contributed it to our lighting at our events, but it seems to me its just the cameras and the broadcast.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-09-2018, 12:38 PM
I always have buffering issues on my smart TV.... but I can watch Netflix and no Buffer

RocketDawg
04-09-2018, 12:53 PM
I always have buffering issues on my smart TV.... but I can watch Netflix and no Buffer

Could be a case of Netflix paying more than ESPN does to your ISP to get more bandwidth.

I get buffering sometimes on SEC+/WatchESPN but it was worse last year. The picture at home games of any kind is not as good as other locations though. I think we need new video equipment.

yjnkdawg
04-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Some broadcasts on ESPN3 seem to be a better quality picture than others, but what I don't understand is I can normally not watch a MSU broadcast without either it buffering pretty frequently, or the picture freezing, and I have to refresh to hopefully get the picture in motion again. The internet speed tests show 120+ mpbs with 5G and around 75+ when not using the 5G connection. So there shouldn't be any buffering issues. I agree though on the new video equipment comment.

yjnkdawg
04-09-2018, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=RocketDawg;918389]Could be a case of Netflix paying more than ESPN does to your ISP to get more bandwidth.

It could very well be that.

Lord McBuckethead
04-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Net Neutrality, or lack there of. Beginning of the end. Hope everyone likes what our Netflix overlords air.

fishwater99
04-09-2018, 01:36 PM
Is it the quality of the cameras, or lack of, we are using?

thf24
04-09-2018, 01:36 PM
ESPN streaming has been a problem long before the net neutrality changes. The buffering issues are simply because their player is a piece of garbage and they don't have much incentive to improve it.