PDA

View Full Version : Football rumblings

NWADAWG
04-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Between all the tweets and rumors, it seems there is some unrest on the football team. Is this:

1 More accountability on and off field

2 Players that thought they were guaranteed positions due to seniority finding out they have to earn it and that younger player will take their playing time if they are better.

3 Just adjusting to new system.

4 Fickle headed youthfulness.

Or some combination of the above.

TNDawg35
04-08-2018, 07:22 PM
The country club is gone. There is a new sheriff in town. Sounds to me like if a Fr is better than a SR, the FR is gonna play the majority of the snaps...

MafiaDawg
04-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Other than Bryant and Guidry what?s going on?

Dawgology
04-08-2018, 07:49 PM
All I’ve seen is Bryant and Guidry stuff. Would hate to lose Guidry but wouldn’t mind seeing Bryant bounce. It is what it is.

Bully13
04-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Other than Bryant and Guidry what?s going on?

good question. what are the "other" rumblings are we talking about?

I'm sure there are some other disgruntled upper classmen that are prolly feeling over challenged at the moment but like a previous poster said, there's a new sheriff in town not playing the country club bullshit anymore.

I'm happy . if they don't like it, don't let the door slap you on the ass on your way out.

Todd4State
04-08-2018, 07:56 PM
All I’ve seen is Bryant and Guidry stuff. Would hate to lose Guidry but wouldn’t mind seeing Bryant bounce. It is what it is.

Well Bryant announced today that he left.

99jc
04-08-2018, 08:30 PM
Between all the tweets and rumors, it seems there is some unrest on the football team. Is this:

2 Players that thought they were guaranteed positions due to seniority finding out they have to earn it and that younger player will take their playing time if they are better.

nm

BuckyIsAB****
04-08-2018, 08:32 PM
I havent heard anything bad. I've heard the effort and buy in to Moorhead and the system has been great. Bryant saw the writing on the wall. Guidry will be fine

NWADAWG
04-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Not trying to stir any pot. This and the other message board has had multiple threads about guidry, Bryant, and ?don?t listen to tweets?. I?m an old fart and don?t do Twitter. Even if I did , I would be following a bunch of teenage boys. But those that do follow act like there are grumblings. I?m actually hoping it?s JoMo that?s stirring the pot in a good way.

Jack Lambert
04-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Not trying to stir any pot. This and the other message board has had multiple threads about guidry, Bryant, and ?don?t listen to tweets?. I?m an old fart and don?t do Twitter. Even if I did , I would be following a bunch of teenage boys. But those that do follow act like there are grumblings. I?m actually hoping it?s JoMo that?s stirring the pot in a good way.

I am not going to say middle age men using titter is silly (I don't us it) but following 17, 18 ad 19 year old is kind of freaky. I think these 17,18 and 19 year old guys you are following are yanking your dicks.

04-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Yep

At this point anyone who denies that Dan Mullen was headed for a collapse comparable to King Jackie's is simply delusional. It wasn't going to be this year, or maybe not even next.....but it was coming

Dude quit caring, overloaded on JUCOs (easy route), and let discipline slide

Todd4State
04-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Yep

At this point anyone who denies that Dan Mullen was headed for a collapse comparable to King Jackie's is simply delusional. It wasn't going to be this year, or maybe not even next.....but it was coming

Dude quit caring, overloaded on JUCOs (easy route), and let discipline slide

I'm actually impressed that he actually got it together enough to leave on his own terms. I thought that after South Alabama he would be done.

starkvegasdawg
04-08-2018, 10:16 PM
I am not going to say middle age men using titter is silly (I don't us it) but following 17, 18 ad 19 year old is kind of freaky. I think these 17,18 and 19 year old guys you are following are yanking your dicks.

No wonder Yancy likes twitter so much.

maroonmania
04-08-2018, 10:32 PM
I think this is one of the reasons women's college basketball has gained in popularity while men's basketball has gone the other way. Women's game has gotten better over the years and has players that play together for multiple years and prioritize their accomplishments in college. The men's game for 90% of players is strictly about showing individual skills and getting to the NBA as quickly as humanly possible. Very few of them seem to care about their college teammates or trying to accomplish team goals in college. Its strictly about getting their payday with the NBA and not much else.

vv83
04-08-2018, 10:49 PM

that’s literally the point of Twitter

Offshore Dawg
04-09-2018, 09:10 AM
There could be some "butt hurt" in the I'm a senior I should be starting.

Leroy Jenkins
04-09-2018, 09:15 AM
If you wanna make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs.

dawgs
04-09-2018, 12:38 PM
I think this is one of the reasons women's college basketball has gained in popularity while men's basketball has gone the other way. Women's game has gotten better over the years and has players that play together for multiple years and prioritize their accomplishments in college. The men's game for 90% of players is strictly about showing individual skills and getting to the NBA as quickly as humanly possible. Very few of them seem to care about their college teammates or trying to accomplish team goals in college. Its strictly about getting their payday with the NBA and not much else.

Well the pot at the end of the rainbow is quite a bit larger for men basketball players than women basketball players, so that factors into one being willing to sacrifice for the team vs. put themselves in the best position to showcase their talent and get drafted. MBB is hurt by it, but I can’t blame any individual player for it either because if “**** you” money was potentially waiting for me at the end of the season, I’d focus on me too. It’s the system in place, not the players’ fault. And it starts with AAU teams and tournaments.

dawgs
04-09-2018, 12:40 PM

I’d say it’s primarily 1 and 2, and a dash of 3. With any coaching change, you expect some turnover, and so long as it’s guys like Bryant who have never reached their potential heading into a senior season, then that’s probably a good thing, it’s if it started including major building blocks that you start to worry.

Bodaski
04-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Well Bryant announced today that he left.

His progress on the field checked out his redshirt soph year. Brandon has tried to quit before and coach English turned him around then. Brandon certainly showed flashes, but his actions on and off (academics) the field has been an indicator to me he didn't have the love of the game. I can't remember how many plays I saw Bryant wiff on making a play or just avoid, but I remember it was very noticeable.

Jack Lambert
04-09-2018, 08:33 PM
that’s literally the point of Twitter

I guess I think's silly because I have too many other important things to take up my time.

maroonmania
04-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Well the pot at the end of the rainbow is quite a bit larger for men basketball players than women basketball players, so that factors into one being willing to sacrifice for the team vs. put themselves in the best position to showcase their talent and get drafted. MBB is hurt by it, but I can?t blame any individual player for it either because if ?**** you? money was potentially waiting for me at the end of the season, I?d focus on me too. It?s the system in place, not the players? fault. And it starts with AAU teams and tournaments.

I realize basketball is a different animal and much of the attitude of the HS kids do start with AAU but it just feels like most men's college basketball players are guns for hire who just want to get in and get out of college as quickly as possible and would rather not be there at all. It wasn't that way 10 to 15 years ago. i certainly never had that type of view of the players on our 2004 team. Football and baseball players have a pretty good pot at the end of the rainbow as well but I guess you don't get the same issue as much with them because, unlike basketball players, they are in college for at least 3 years so they aren't checking their draft status seemingly every single year.

Jarius
04-10-2018, 05:30 AM
I guess I think's silly because I have too many other important things to take up my time.

Like post 7800 times on elite dawgs? I kid. Twitter is very informative if you use it correctly.

MetEdDawg
04-10-2018, 07:16 AM

Not a shot at you, but that's partly why in the past we haven't gotten a huge media following. We don't generate a lot of clicks and we don't generate a lot of social media hits. In this day and age where social media and exposure are so prevalent in the lives of the kids we are recruiting, we are just physically behind the majority of the SEC in that regard.

And contrary to popular belief (again this is not directly aimed at you), but there is a middle ground between being creepy like Ole Miss fans and doing nothing. Simply liking a kids' tweet or generating social media hits for our media guys gets us additional exposure and generates dollars. The more hits our folks get, the more potential ad revenue is generated. Same thing for our athletic department except we can take that to the next level. We can retweet their stuff. Expose our information to whatever followers we have and broaden the network that sees our university. The more stuff they put out and the more exposure we give them, the more potential revenue they get.

I'm 29, so this stuff makes sense to me. I deal with it everyday but I also get why my parents generation has very little to do with twitter. But I can promise you that if a good portion of our fan base took the leap on twitter we would be significantly better positioned with a lot of our stuff. Just sign up and follow only MSU people. That's fine. You at least get exposed to our information and can see updated recruiting information including when an MSU person retweets or likes something a recruit posts on Twitter.

MaroonBelle
04-10-2018, 07:57 AM
I started a Twitter account for my parents (almost 70 yo, season ticket holders in 4 sports, live in Stark). They were very opposed when I tried to get them to start their own (even though I was constantly feeding them into from mine) so I just made one that I have control over and I followed all the MSU media, sport accounts, marketing and pr plus a few players I thought they would enjoy and I locked it right when I made it. Dowloaded it on their phones for them. That way they don,t have to worry with spam accounts or followers or getting ugly tweets. They don't actually have to interact with it at all. It is simply informational and they are on it every day. It really helps them keep up with game time changes, recruiting, etc. They love it and feel much more dialed in to MSU athletics. They, of course have questions, especially about some of the stuff off the players accounts, but it has really been helpful.

Bully13
04-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Not a shot at you, but that's partly why in the past we haven't gotten a huge media following. We don't generate a lot of clicks and we don't generate a lot of social media hits. In this day and age where social media and exposure are so prevalent in the lives of the kids we are recruiting, we are just physically behind the majority of the SEC in that regard.

And contrary to popular belief (again this is not directly aimed at you), but there is a middle ground between being creepy like Ole Miss fans and doing nothing. Simply liking a kids' tweet or generating social media hits for our media guys gets us additional exposure and generates dollars. The more hits our folks get, the more potential ad revenue is generated. Same thing for our athletic department except we can take that to the next level. We can retweet their stuff. Expose our information to whatever followers we have and broaden the network that sees our university. The more stuff they put out and the more exposure we give them, the more potential revenue they get.

I'm 29, so this stuff makes sense to me. I deal with it everyday but I also get why my parents generation has very little to do with twitter. But I can promise you that if a good portion of our fan base took the leap on twitter we would be significantly better positioned with a lot of our stuff. Just sign up and follow only MSU people. That's fine. You at least get exposed to our information and can see updated recruiting information including when an MSU person retweets or likes something a recruit posts on Twitter.

I'm 55 and have never used Twitter or Face Book. I agree with this post though. makes sense. maybe I'll set up a Twitter account.