04-12-2013, 04:13 PM
per Mic:

Russell is pretty sharp- he loves the TE's and Jameon
Our TE's are pretty ****ing good
Morrow running 2nd team and still struggling
Autry is abusing our OT's
Holloway can absolutely freakin fly
Chris Hughes is making really hard to keep him off the field
B. Brown getting 1st team reps at LB to see how he responds- and he responded with a Pick-6
Redmond looks like he may be our other CB- hawking out there
Quay is either not practicing or has literally done nothing to gain any attention

Coach34
04-12-2013, 04:17 PM
and then out of nowhere Morrow redeems himself with a great route and catch for a big play TD

HereComesTheSpiral
04-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Is Quay Evans the next Templeton Hardy?

Rick Danko
04-12-2013, 04:32 PM
No think its too early to say that. Maybe the light will turn on soon enough. I for one am absolutely pumped about our tight ends. If Mullen can't figure out a scheme to get the ball to them quite often I will be sorely disappointed

Coach34
04-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Market getting some 1st group reps
Kicking game looks like shit- missing FG's

Dallas_Dawg
04-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Redmond, other CB opposite Cox or Love? Hope Love is our nickel corner....
Our OTs are being abused by Autry but is that due to him being a monster or are Clausell, Siddoway/Robinson just not going to get the job done against big time SEC teams?

Coach34
04-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Our OTs are being abused by Autry but is that due to him being a monster or are Clausell, Siddoway/Robinson just not going to get the job done against big time SEC teams?

Yes

mic
04-12-2013, 05:03 PM
we mix and match alot on Defense or we did today at least..
I may be in the minority on C Hughes but I like that cat.. very fast and just looks like he has a nose for the game
we ran alot of nickle today. Just my opinion but maybe because we had no RB today or we are doing a little preping for the Pokies
Lot of guys didnt see action while i watched. Some being held out and not in full uni but Quay was in full uni and I didnt see him on the field once.
and we ran a lot and I mean a lot of double TE sets.. sometime we would go 3 wide with a TE inside and one in slot.. Usually was Gus and Malcom

Raytoraid83
04-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Another thing I noticed, Nick James is gonna be fun to watch if he can stay out of the dog house.

mic
04-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Yeah.. he will def play off emotion. If he makes a big play he may come back very next play and make a bigger one.. But I still dont trust him or Quay right now.. Maybe they are game day players and not practice players..

Rick Danko
04-12-2013, 05:43 PM
What's the impression so far on Nickoe does he look like he may be back to old form or still looking lost at times?

mic
04-12-2013, 05:59 PM
I think the problem last year with Nickoe was coaching schemes and him still not being 100%.. he looked back like the old Nickoe of the past at the Gator Bowl.. Just so happened Collins was calling the Def that game.

Rick Danko
04-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Good point hope you are right. Would be nice to see a 100% Nickoe bustin heads his senior year. Love a head hunter at safety

Political Hack
04-12-2013, 07:07 PM
our defense will be talented this year but inexperienced early. Tyler will have to carry the team early IMO.

Coach34
04-12-2013, 07:50 PM
. Tyler will have to carry the team early IMO.

:(

War Machine Dawg
04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Market getting some 1st group reps
Kicking game looks like shit- missing FG's

Market is going to be a player. If nothing else, I see him being a badass on special teams this season.

And for the love of all things maroon, can Mullen PLEASE hire a ****ing special teams coach? That's the difference in winning and losing games for middle of the road programs like ours. JWS understood that, which is why he placed so much emphasis on having great STs. I understand Mullen thinks he's emphasizing it by naming himself ST coach, but we've looked like ass on STs for pretty much the entirety of 4 years. Leon Berry happened to be good enough to cover a bit of it up before he got injured, but it's been glaring the last 2 seasons.

War Machine Dawg
04-12-2013, 09:14 PM
our defense will be talented this year but inexperienced early. Tyler will have to carry the team early IMO.

If that's the case, get ready for a losing season. I've got no faith in our O being able to outscore teams. The potential might be there, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

maroonmania
04-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Market is going to be a player. If nothing else, I see him being a badass on special teams this season.

And for the love of all things maroon, can Mullen PLEASE hire a ****ing special teams coach? That's the difference in winning and losing games for middle of the road programs like ours. JWS understood that, which is why he placed so much emphasis on having great STs. I understand Mullen thinks he's emphasizing it by naming himself ST coach, but we've looked like ass on STs for pretty much the entirety of 4 years. Leon Berry happened to be good enough to cover a bit of it up before he got injured, but it's been glaring the last 2 seasons.

Maybe Mullen should send himself to a Special Teams coaching clinic.

War Machine Dawg
04-12-2013, 11:12 PM
One can wish, MM.

engie
04-12-2013, 11:16 PM
He's already taken a much less active role in special teams -- at least that's the word I heard when we hired Gonzo. He is supposed to be focusing alot more on helping with playcalling this year was the word early...

War Machine Dawg
04-12-2013, 11:42 PM
I really, really hope that's true, Engie. That alone would make a big difference, imo.

taylor
04-13-2013, 09:49 AM
I feel good about alot of what I have been hearing, except offensive tackles. I think we are in trouble when we face the big boys.

mic
04-13-2013, 10:10 AM
The FG's that we missed were long ones. Prob all over 40 yrds. The extra point miss cant happen.
This all doesnt fall on CDM.. We will prob have an All SEC punter and I bet we were in the top 5 in the conference on punt coverage yards given up.. . Punt returns we are replacing 2 sure hand guys in Bump and JB but I think Lewis will be much more a threat to break one.. Our KOF coverage last year was very soild except for the one with Auburn I cant recall but i think that was the only one. I wish we did have a guy who could blast it in the endzone when we need it.

The Croom Diaries
04-13-2013, 10:49 AM
He's already taken a much less active role in special teams -- at least that's the word I heard when we hired Gonzo. He is supposed to be focusing alot more on helping with playcalling this year was the word early...

I hope so. I wish Mullen would just full out call the plays himself, leave Koenning to coach during practice and give a bird's eye view assistance to Mullen. I have to assume he will since we kept Koenning - he's too old to get his feelings hurt and leave anyway, just cruising to retirement.

engie
04-13-2013, 11:38 AM
I hope so. I wish Mullen would just full out call the plays himself, leave Koenning to coach during practice and give a bird's eye view assistance to Mullen. I have to assume he will since we kept Koenning - he's too old to get his feelings hurt and leave anyway, just cruising to retirement.

Agreed on all points...Koenning looked around in the offseason and no one would touch him. That speaks volumes of his stock as an OC IMO.

I wanted Edenfield from Troy for Russell's senior year, but it obviously isn't going to happen. IMO he's the best pass-first spread guy that we have a realistic shot of pulling in the country. Last 3 pass offenses have been in the top 15 nationally @ Troy -- and 2.5 of those 3 years were with a statue as a QB. That said, it's a pretty good chance that he's our OC if/when Hud is brought back(was Hud's OC @ UNA for like 8 years previously and was Hud's first choice for OC at ULL)...