PDA

View Full Version : What Cohen said about our coach to be named...

The Federalist Engineer
04-07-2018, 07:48 AM
(1) seriously experienced HC
(2) has made “trips” to Omaha (aka multiple times)
(3) will make us fans very happy

This eliminates Heefner, Deggs, Monty Lee, holliday

This probably eliminates Butch and Ming as not truly experienced and only been to Omaha as assistants - and only once AS assistants

This makes me think about OConner, McDonnell, Scholsnagle, Corbin, Old Fox

Maybe JC was being aspirational in his statement, hope not

msstate7
04-07-2018, 08:11 AM
So he is saying he has his guy? Would not this open Cohen up to questions of contacting a guy wrongfully? Maybe he is naming himself coach haha

Bulldog1
04-07-2018, 08:26 AM
So he is saying he has his guy? Would not this open Cohen up to questions of contacting a guy wrongfully? Maybe he is naming himself coach haha

He said nothing is off the table yet

The Federalist Engineer
04-07-2018, 08:39 AM

Hilarious if he’s talking about himself: he is experienced, but he only went to Omaha once - more if you count assistant and player trips

BuckyIsAB****
04-07-2018, 08:44 AM
Nuh uh!!!!! We cant get those guys!!! Bc of x y and z!**

drummerdawg
04-07-2018, 08:57 AM

I think he said everything has been done through 3rd party.

msstate7
04-07-2018, 09:10 AM
I think he said everything has been done through 3rd party.

Ok. That would make me more cautious thinking I have my guy then.

bobcat91
04-07-2018, 09:21 AM
Tim Tadlock

AROB44
04-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Here he is...our new baseball coach *********

Mike Martin (baseball coach) Michael D. Martin Sr. (born February 12, 1944) is the head baseball coach of the Florida State Seminoles baseball team. Martin is the second all-time winningest coach in NCAA Division I college baseball history, and second in all-time winning percentage. Been to the CWS numerous times....choked every single time.

basedog
04-07-2018, 09:37 AM

Mike Martin (baseball coach) Michael D. Martin Sr. (born February 12, 1944) is the head baseball coach of the Florida State Seminoles baseball team. Martin is the second all-time winningest coach in NCAA Division I college baseball history, and second in all-time winning percentage. Been to the CWS numerous times....choked every single time.

Put down the coffee, I heard it can do wonderful things but talk about spitting my coffee all over the PC and I don't have anymore samples*****

MarketingBully
04-07-2018, 09:40 AM

Mullen had practically agreed to be Tennessee’s head coach before the Egg Bowl. You can do a lot through third parties. My best guess and if I were a betting man would be we name McDonnell as our head coach right after they are eliminated from someone else’s regional at the end of May.

Cooterpoot
04-07-2018, 10:05 AM
We’re all going to be happy. Don’t worry about who it is. It’s going to be glorious!!

preachermatt83
04-07-2018, 10:14 AM
I think McDonnell and Corbin are who cohen is going after but if he can't get them it will be butch. And he , albeit loosely, does fit Cohens description

preachermatt83
04-07-2018, 10:15 AM
We’re all going to be happy. Don’t worry about who it is. It’s going to be glorious!!

I agree

preachermatt83
04-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Mullen had practically agreed to be Tennessee’s head coach before the Egg Bowl. You can do a lot through third parties. My best guess and if I were a betting man would be we name McDonnell as our head coach right after they are eliminated from someone else’s regional at the end of May.

Very good point.

confucius say
04-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Define wrongfully

confucius say
04-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Tim Tadlock

First name that popped in my head too

msstate7
04-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Define wrongfully

I guess unethical would be a better word. I sure did not appreciate Mullen talking to other schools about a job during the season

Bulldog1
04-07-2018, 10:31 AM
I think we’re going to get McDonnel or another big name. Been saying that for a while, and hearing Cohen say this just gives me more hope.

BorneDawg
04-07-2018, 10:41 AM
I believe it will be Corbin

preachermatt83
04-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Pat Casey is another name gaining traction

Bully13
04-07-2018, 11:21 AM
I think most all HC's entertaining a change of venue prolly talk to the AD's off the record during the regular season or thru a 3rd party. doesn't necessarily mean they are not focused with the job at hand though because they know if the season tanks, you may not get the new gig.

Bully13
04-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Pat Casey is another name gaining traction

in what circles? just chatter ? would love to have that guy even though he's not too young. just googled him and it appears he still has a lot of fire in his belly. he's on a 4 day vacation for making contact with an ump. LOL

they are tearing it up this year and had a decent run into the CWS last year. beat the ever loving shit out of Vandy in the supers then won a couple in the CWS including a 13-1 thrashing of LSU.

Pit Bull
04-07-2018, 11:39 AM
(1) seriously experienced HC
(2) has made ?trips? to Omaha (aka multiple times)
(3) will make us fans very happy

This eliminates Heefner, Deggs, Monty Lee, holliday

This probably eliminates Butch and Ming as not truly experienced and only been to Omaha as assistants - and only once AS assistants

This makes me think about OConner, McDonnell, Scholsnagle, Corbin, Old Fox

Maybe JC was being aspirational in his statement, hope not

There's a volunteer assistant coach at UAB who has these qualifications I believe....oops!

Pit Bull
04-07-2018, 11:45 AM

So, if you take your team to the CWS and not win it....you choked? I don't really want Martin...there are others I think are a better fit at MSU.

maroonmania
04-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Been to the CWS numerous times....choked every single time.

Perfect fit.***

Bulldog1
04-07-2018, 11:48 AM
Martin has been 16 times in 38 years; Never won a title. Ouch!

Pit Bull
04-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Perfect fit.***

As they say...."In Like Fllnt" at MSU.

Todd4State
04-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Tim Tadlock

This is the name that a lot of MSU fans need to be paying more attention to and he fits Cohen's criteria. He hasn't been coaching at a P5 school as long as McDonnell and Schlossnagle but he has taken Texas Tech to Omaha twice.

He has an outstanding coaching staff. His pitching coach used to play professionally for the Padres and used to be a MLB scout. His hitting coach was named the assistant coach of the year by ABCA. They may be able to find under the radar talent but he has a couple of UA All-Americans on the team and his team is a bigger team.

The only thing I don't like about him is he used to be a JUCO head coach but he only has six JUCO's on the team right now which is still significantly less than what we have right now.

preachermatt83
04-07-2018, 01:29 PM
This is the name that a lot of MSU fans need to be paying more attention to and he fits Cohen's criteria. He hasn't been coaching at a P5 school as long as McDonnell and Schlossnagle but he has taken Texas Tech to Omaha twice.

He has an outstanding coaching staff. His pitching coach used to play professionally for the Padres and used to be a MLB scout. His hitting coach was named the assistant coach of the year by ABCA. They may be able to find under the radar talent but he has a couple of UA All-Americans on the team and his team is a bigger team.

The only thing I don't like about him is he used to be a JUCO head coach but he only has six JUCO's on the team right now which is still significantly less than what we have right now.

I agree with this post. I like tadlock a lot and wouldn't be at all surprised if he is in the mix.

Todd4State
04-07-2018, 01:58 PM
I agree with this post. I like tadlock a lot and wouldn't be at all surprised if he is in the mix.

I would say that he is very much in the mix and is definitely in Cohen's top three if not his number one.

AlSwearengen
04-07-2018, 02:15 PM
Todd, concerning Tadlock, let’s assume he loses his hitting coach, which is likely if he was named asst. coach of the year. In your opinion, can Tadlock overcome a loss like that and be able to hire someone of similar quality?

Basically, does Tadlock have a good enough reputation that other assistants want to work for him? I would hate to hire Tadlock when we might as well have taken a chance on his assistant.

Todd4State
04-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Todd, concerning Tadlock, let’s assume he loses his hitting coach, which is likely if he was named asst. coach of the year. In your opinion, can Tadlock overcome a loss like that and be able to hire someone of similar quality?

Basically, does Tadlock have a good enough reputation that other assistants want to work for him? I would hate to hire Tadlock when we might as well have taken a chance on his assistant.

I think he can because he has been coaching for awhile- he has also been an assistant at Oklahoma and a head coach at a JUCO in Texas. If that scenario plays out and that could very well happen I hope we hire a hitting coach with a background similar to Cann's.

My hope is that his assistant will follow him to Starkville if we hire him though.

Bully13
04-07-2018, 02:48 PM
I went over to check on Tadlock and saw where Texas Tech has only had 9 head coaches in their program's history. founded in 1925.

dude was solid at the Juco and has been solid at Tech. looks like would be a good get.

Dawgowar
04-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Want all those great attributes (winning pedigree, Omaha etc) and the ability to control his dick. Apparently this is becoming more of an issue with coaches these days.

Todd4State
04-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Want all those great attributes (winning pedigree, Omaha etc) and the ability to control his dick. Apparently this is becoming more of an issue with coaches these days.

How so? Cann is the first I've heard in college baseball. But the crazy thing about Cann and why I think he was ultimately fired was how much he let it affect his performance as a coach on the field. That's not normal.

Dawgowar
04-07-2018, 03:57 PM
How so? Cann is the first I've heard in college baseball. But the crazy thing about Cann and why I think he was ultimately fired was how much he let it affect his performance as a coach on the field. That's not normal.

Seen several others the past year or so - different sports, assistants - being more general than baseball

The Federalist Engineer
04-07-2018, 04:07 PM

Martin is a great coach with remarkable accomplishments outside of the title - in Championship games, with quality opppnents, random factors take over. Not a candidate for us but a hall of Fame coach

tireddawg
04-07-2018, 04:33 PM
I would say that he is very much in the mix and is definitely in Cohen's top three if not his number one.

You would say based off...?

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-07-2018, 06:03 PM
I can't imagine us hiring a guy in Pat Casey, who is 59 years old, who was born in Oregon, educated in Oregon and coached his entire career in Oregon. Plus, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Todd4State
04-07-2018, 06:10 PM
You would say based off...?

He has been to Omaha twice at program that has been average/above average. Has a coach with scouting connections. And he's a guy that I think Cohen is trying to get out in front of before he has major success- like Schlossnagle, McDonnell and other candidates already have at this point. See his other hires like Cann and Joe Moorhead.

I think the main reason he hasn't been mentioned as much is he just hasn't done it quite as long as Schlossnagle and McDonnell.

preachermatt83
04-08-2018, 12:15 AM
Todd, I'm impressed. You nailed it before anybody.

Todd4State
04-08-2018, 01:07 AM
Todd, I'm impressed. You nailed it before anybody.

I don't think anything is set in stone yet with anybody. It's still too soon and anything can happen between now and the end of the year. I do think it will be one of Tadlock, Casey, Schlossnagle, McDonnell, Jay Johnson or Corbin. The only others that fit the criteria are Paul Manieri (LOL), Kevin O'Sullivan, Dave Van Horn and Brian O'Connor who will not coach in the SEC as long as Manieri is at LSU due to their friendship.

All would be home run hires- except for Manieri. And that won't happen. I don't think our fans would be happy with Van Horn but that's not happening either.

I don't think we will hire an assistant "from a program that went to Omaha before". I think Cohen is looking for a complete reboot of our program at the end of the year and he wants to eliminate as much of the unknown as possible.

I also don't think we will hire a former Cohen assistant. If Cohen thought that Butch, Lane, Mingione, etc. were the right guy he could have very easily hired one of them instead of Cann last time. Most of his assistants are good coaches- but I don't think they have the background that Cohen is looking for or the ability to win a National Title. I wouldn't be surprised if Mingione falls quite a bit once Henderson's players leave. Lane doesn't have SEC experience and he called his players out the other day. It was pretty bad.

And finally I don't think we will hire Matt Deggs or a sitting mid major coach. Deggs reminds me too much of Hugh Freeze. Lots of videos of him talking up his players and telling him that he loves them and stuff like that- I'm not sure how much of it is genuine but it seems like it's over the top. I don't think Cohen wants Heffner either.

Cooterpoot
04-08-2018, 04:07 AM
Casey is not an option.

sandjunky
04-08-2018, 06:49 AM
I don't think anything is set in stone yet with anybody. It's still too soon and anything can happen between now and the end of the year. I do think it will be one of Tadlock, Casey, Schlossnagle, McDonnell, Jay Johnson or Corbin. The only others that fit the criteria are Paul Manieri (LOL), Kevin O'Sullivan, Dave Van Horn and Brian O'Connor who will not coach in the SEC as long as Manieri is at LSU due to their friendship.

All would be home run hires- except for Manieri. And that won't happen. I don't think our fans would be happy with Van Horn but that's not happening either.

I don't think we will hire an assistant "from a program that went to Omaha before". I think Cohen is looking for a complete reboot of our program at the end of the year and he wants to eliminate as much of the unknown as possible.

I also don't think we will hire a former Cohen assistant. If Cohen thought that Butch, Lane, Mingione, etc. were the right guy he could have very easily hired one of them instead of Cann last time. Most of his assistants are good coaches- but I don't think they have the background that Cohen is looking for or the ability to win a National Title. I wouldn't be surprised if Mingione falls quite a bit once Henderson's players leave. Lane doesn't have SEC experience and he called his players out the other day. It was pretty bad.

And finally I don't think we will hire Matt Deggs or a sitting mid major coach. Deggs reminds me too much of Hugh Freeze. Lots of videos of him talking up his players and telling him that he loves them and stuff like that- I'm not sure how much of it is genuine but it seems like it's over the top. I don't think Cohen wants Heffner either.

To get insight into Deggs now, pick up his book 15 to 28...I don’t get the eyebrow raise with him because he appears to be genuine laying out his warts for all to see

preachermatt83
04-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Casey is not an option.

He may not be for us but he would love it on his end. Unless something falls through it will be Tim Tadlock according to scouts like Stephen head and some alumni who know more than any of us

Bully13
04-08-2018, 04:09 PM
He may not be for us but he would love it on his end. Unless something falls through it will be Tim Tadlock according to scouts like Stephen head and some alumni who know more than any of us

How do you know Casey would love to come here Preach? and why would we not want him?

are there some people out there that know about any favorable / positive conversations Cohen has had with some of these guys being mentioned?

Bulldog1
04-08-2018, 04:10 PM

I would love to have Pat Casey if he would “love it here.”

BuckyIsAB****
04-08-2018, 04:22 PM

Isnt Stephen Head an OM guy?

AusTexDawg
04-08-2018, 05:32 PM

Nope, I'm pretty sure it'll be 82 years young Wayne Graham*** (although he will almost certainly not be working for Rice past this season).

Todd4State
04-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Casey is not an option.

May be more of an option than McDonnell or Schlossnagle. And McDonnell and Schlossnagle could be options.

Todd4State
04-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Isnt Stephen Head an OM guy?

Yes. He played and coached there. BUT he also was recruited by Cohen when Cohen was at Florida and they have a previous relationship through that.

Todd4State
04-08-2018, 06:24 PM
Nope, I'm pretty sure it'll be 82 years young Wayne Graham*** (although he will almost certainly not be working for Rice past this season).

I forgot that his background does qualify. However the fact that we run a high risk of having a "Blue" moment just like the movie Old School with the topless girls and the KY Jelly pretty much disqualifies him.

Bully13
04-08-2018, 06:32 PM
we're not hiring some one born during WWII. period.

Todd4State
04-08-2018, 06:35 PM
To get insight into Deggs now, pick up his book 15 to 28...I don’t get the eyebrow raise with him because he appears to be genuine laying out his warts for all to see

It's just how he comes across.

The Federalist Engineer
04-08-2018, 06:37 PM
May be more of an option than McDonnell or Schlossnagle. And McDonnell and Schlossnagle could be options.

Based on a strict interpretation of Cohen?s comments and Game Theory principles on the Schools and Coaches:

(1) Tim Tadlock - $600K current salary - lives in a horrible place
(2) O?Connor - UVA is not his Alma Mater and everything about Virginia has a Ovarian character, MSU is uber testicular
(3) mcDonnnel- he is not a UL alumnus and he is probably treated equivalently as a softball or tennis coach at UL- paid better but Stud-Bolt status can be a big deal
(4) Old Man Fox

The guys that I just can?t see leave their supreme and unfair advantages are Corbin and Scholsnagle. These are private school guys with great wages, Championships, and one is Cannizzaros mentor