PDA

View Full Version : MSU Basketball Players who have declared

TheRef
04-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Alright, so far 3 of our players have declared for the NBA Draft

Lamar Peters (First to declare) - Not hiring an agent

Nick Weatherspoon - Not hiring an agent

Quinndary Weatherspoon - Not hiring an agent

Significance of all three declaring without an agent is that they can test the waters, get a grade, and still be able to return to Starkville.

TheRef
04-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Also, wouldn't be surprised if Aric Holman decides to test the water too.

RocketDawg
04-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Alright, so far 3 of our players have declared for the NBA Draft

Lamar Peters (First to declare) - Not hiring an agent

Nick Weatherspoon - Not hiring an agent

Quinndary Weatherspoon - Not hiring an agent

Significance of all three declaring without an agent is that they can test the waters, get a grade, and still be able to return to Starkville.

Can't really blame them and it's good that they have such an option.

For the record, Sexton from Alabama is declaring and IS hiring an agent. He's gone. That's good for us.

ScoobaDawg
04-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Some notes about Peters...
https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/lamar-peters-scouting-report
Lamar Peters
Height: 6-0
Weight: 181
College: Mississippi StateClassification: SophomoreBirthdate: 6/19/1998
Projected Draft Range: 2nd Round to Undrafted

Pros:
Decent scorer off the dribble
Excels at scoring on the move
Adequate playmaker
Adequate defensive player that can get steals
Very good athlete

Cons:
Needs to improve his shooting
Shot selection issues
Lacks an elite first step off the dribble
Does not draw enough free throws
Can play too wildly on offense
Needs to improve his rebounding
Can be undisciplined defensively
Undersized to play the point
Can be too inconsistent in games

Summary:
Lamar Peters is an athletic point guard that opened plenty of eyes at the Adidas Nations Tournament, and Peters is a versatile scorer that can quickly get into lane, and he is a fairly good facilitator that can run pick and rolls for his team.

Big things were expected of Peters this season, but so far, he has not played very well, and he put forth a miserable showing in his team's loss to Cincinnati. He was once thought to potentially be first round material, but Peters will need to recover from that in order to regain his footing as a draft prospect.

MarketingBully
04-06-2018, 06:20 PM
I think the most important thing to note is they are just testing the waters, getting on NBA team’s radars, and will be back to have a great season next year. I have no worries and it’s smart for them to do this.

MarketingBully
04-06-2018, 06:34 PM
Also want to add this will allow our coaches to instruct and help them through the process of pre-draft camps and team meetings. Very smart of these guys to enter their name in.

Bulldog1
04-06-2018, 06:44 PM
I think the most important thing to note is they are just testing the waters, getting on NBA team’s radars, and will be back to have a great season next year. I have no worries and it’s smart for them to do this.
Yep.

deadheaddawg
04-06-2018, 09:17 PM
So it is better than 50/50 they all come back next year?

Bulldog1
04-06-2018, 09:19 PM

Yes

deadheaddawg
04-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Yes

Nice :)

Liverpooldawg
04-06-2018, 11:38 PM
Nick has the most NBA potential, and it ain't close.

MarketingBully
04-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Nick has the most NBA potential, and it ain't close.

Duh but Lamar could still be a first round pick if he has a consistent year next year. The scouts love his game.

MarketingBully
04-07-2018, 09:35 AM

I’d put the percent at 90% they all come back.

starkvegasdawg
04-07-2018, 11:46 AM
At least none hired an agent. Suck to lose all three.

Bulldog1
04-07-2018, 11:49 AM
They’ll be back...

louisvilledawg
04-07-2018, 11:57 AM
Lamar Peters

Pros:
Adequate playmaker
Very good athlete

Cons:
Shot selection issues

Summary:
Lamar Peters is an athletic point guard that opened plenty of eyes at the Adidas Nations Tournament, and Peters is a versatile scorer that can quickly get into lane, and he is a fairly good facilitator that can run pick and rolls for his team.

Big things were expected of Peters this season, but so far, he has not played very well, and he put forth a miserable showing in his team's loss to Cincinnati. He was once thought to potentially be first round material, but Peters will need to recover from that in order to regain his footing as a draft prospect.

If Lamar is "undersized to play the point," where else is gonna play? lol

Pit Bull
04-07-2018, 12:07 PM
This was the only positive from being bitch-slapped by Penn State at MSG. None of the 3 looked worth a damn and took a lot of shine off their alleged NBA value. Had we blown out the Paper Lions and beaten the Utes.....I might have been a little more worried.....as BG1 said....."They'll be Back".

Bully13
04-07-2018, 12:14 PM
Lamar Peters

Pros:
Adequate playmaker
Very good athlete

Cons:
Shot selection issues

Summary:

doesn't that write up seem dated?

Bully13
04-07-2018, 12:16 PM
at any rate , we may have more declarations this year from a team that didn't make the big tourney. may set that record.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-07-2018, 12:32 PM
This was the only positive from being bitch-slapped by Penn State at MSG. None of the 3 looked worth a damn and took a lot of shine off their alleged NBA value. Had we blown out the Paper Lions and beaten the Utes.....I might have been a little more worried.....as BG1 said....."They'll be Back".

That 1 game didn't & wouldn't have changed anything either way.

biggun
04-07-2018, 12:38 PM

According to ESPN NBA Draft expert Jonathon Givony?s Top 100 of all Draft eligible prospects, the only player we might need to worry about is Aric Holman, who is ranked #82 in his Top 100. Only the 1st round is guaranteed money so I don?t see Holman leaving facing those long odds.

The other 3, no way the are sniffing the 1st round or even getting drafted for that matter so go ahead and test the waters but just don?t be stupid and jump.

Pit Bull
04-07-2018, 12:40 PM
That 1 game didn't & wouldn't have changed anything either way.

Okie Dokie.

ScoobaDawg
04-07-2018, 01:10 PM
doesn't that write up seem dated?

Might of been written right after the Cincinnati game. Didn't see anything newer though. Feel free to write one yourself though..

Bully13
04-07-2018, 03:05 PM
Might of been written right after the Cincinnati game. Didn't see anything newer though. Feel free to write one yourself though..

no I'm just saying. it was critical of LP when all of us here were on his ass as well. but the dude really blossomed as the season progressed. just wasn't a good article based on the date to judge his chances now which I agree with most here that are saying he'd be unwise to not come back.

MarketingBully
04-07-2018, 03:26 PM
They are testing the waters fellas. There is nothing wrong with what they are doing and yes they are all well aware of where they are on the draft pecking order. Being able to work out with teams and going through the combine tends to change those things. Our coaches can even work with them in preparation for the pre-draft camp and team meetings. It’s a win-win for everyone involved. At least Nick and Lamar will be first rounders next year. Entering this year imo will help their stock for next year.

MCsMGs
04-07-2018, 07:09 PM
According to ESPN NBA Draft expert Jonathon Givony?s Top 100 of all Draft eligible prospects, the only player we might need to worry about is Aric Holman, who is ranked #82 in his Top 100. Only the 1st round is guaranteed money so I don?t see Holman leaving facing those long odds.

The other 3, no way the are sniffing the 1st round or even getting drafted for that matter so go ahead and test the waters but just don?t be stupid and jump.

I talked to Aric today at the awards banquet and he told me he hasn't made a decision yet as to if he will enter the draft on a trail basis. Coach said that all of them are committed to return unless they get a first round grade.

Bulldog1
04-07-2018, 07:13 PM
I talked to Aric today at the awards banquet and he told me he hasn't made a decision yet as to if he will enter the draft on a trail basis. Coach said that all of them are committed to return unless they get a first round grade.

Great news.

MarketingBully
04-07-2018, 07:27 PM

Awesome! If they get a first round grade they should go. I think both Lamar and Nick could make the first round in the 2019 draft with an outstanding season next year.

Ari Gold
04-08-2018, 07:01 AM
As I said these 3 would test the nba as they should . And if any of the 3 don?t come back next year for what ever reason it?s a bad decision .