PDA

View Full Version : OT: Samsung television repair

RocketDawg
04-06-2018, 03:44 PM
I have several bright spots on both sides of my 2-3 year old Samsung 65" 3D 4K television. I got on the Samsung user forum, talked with the Samsung folks, and it's not covered under any type of extended warranty, even though it's is a "known but rare" manufacturing defect. It seems the only repair is to replace the screen itself, while keeping the electronic guts of the set.

My question: Anybody have any idea what replacing the screen costs? A repair place won't tell me without coming out and me having to pay a service call. I have a feeling it'll be so expensive that just replacing the set would be more cost effective. If I do, it certainly won't be a Samsung.

TaleofTwoDogs
04-06-2018, 03:45 PM
I hear that Swami's Magic Coffee will fix your spots. Just rub some on the screen. Your welcome.

RocketDawg
04-06-2018, 03:47 PM
I hear that Swami's Magic Coffee will fix your spots. Just rub some on the screen. Your welcome.

Haha. Yeah, that's about as good a solution that I can come up with. I wish he'd chime in, being a customer sevice rep in India at one time. I'll bet he knows.

Last time I talked to a foreign CSR, best I could understand their English, they wanted me to grab a screwdriver and start taking my computer apart.

Tbonewannabe
04-06-2018, 03:50 PM
I have no clue but they should be able to give you an estimate on replacing the screen without paying them. It sounds like they want you to pay them $50 to tell you that it will cost almost as much to get a new TV. I would probably call around to find out if someone gives out free estimates, if not then that TV is probably around $1,000-$1,500.

I just bought a 65" LG 4k Ultra for around $1,300.

RocketDawg
04-06-2018, 03:55 PM
I have no clue but they should be able to give you an estimate on replacing the screen without paying them. It sounds like they want you to pay them $50 to tell you that it will cost almost as much to get a new TV. I would probably call around to find out if someone gives out free estimates, if not then that TV is probably around $1,000-$1,500.

I just bought a 65" LG 4k Ultra for around $1,300.

I'm thinking LG too, but was thinking about OLED. They seem to run about $2400, which is about half what they were when I bought the Samsung. A little research says the OLED picture is dimmer than regular LEDs though ... but in the store the LG picture is miles ahead of the others. I've got to find out what HDR benefits are too. I suppose nothing is designed to last forever, but 2-3 years is a bit short.

Jack Lambert
04-06-2018, 04:01 PM
TV's are so inexpensive now you probably be better just buying a new one.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-06-2018, 04:40 PM
I would just commit to a new set and YouTube doing it yourself and weigh the cost.

ScoobaDawg
04-06-2018, 04:43 PM
I have several bright spots on both sides of my 2-3 year old Samsung 65" 3D 4K television. I got on the Samsung user forum, talked with the Samsung folks, and it's not covered under any type of extended warranty, even though it's is a "known but rare" manufacturing defect. It seems the only repair is to replace the screen itself, while keeping the electronic guts of the set.

My question: Anybody have any idea what replacing the screen costs? A repair place won't tell me without coming out and me having to pay a service call. I have a feeling it'll be so expensive that just replacing the set would be more cost effective. If I do, it certainly won't be a Samsung.

What's the model # rocket.. any idea?
That would help..maybe

RocketDawg
04-06-2018, 04:46 PM
What's the model # rocket.. any idea?
That would help..maybe

Yes. It's UN65JS8500

99jc
04-06-2018, 05:16 PM
It's definitely better to scrap it and get another one. Usually those spots are caused by lightening strike or a major power surge. Your home owners insurance might cover the cost depending on your premium.

RocketDawg
04-06-2018, 05:25 PM
It's definitely better to scrap it and get another one. Usually those spots are caused by lightening strike or a major power surge. Your home owners insurance might cover the cost depending on your premium.

I don't think it's lightning or power surge. It's a known, but supposedly rare, manufacturing defect. It's just too long out of warranty for them to pony up and fix it. It's not terrible right now, but it has worsened noticeably over the last month or two.

Pit Bull
04-06-2018, 09:22 PM
I don't think it's lightning or power surge. It's a known, but supposedly rare, manufacturing defect. It's just too long out of warranty for them to pony up and fix it. It's not terrible right now, but it has worsened noticeably over the last month or two.

My Sharp 60" Aquos has been one of the best tvs i have ever owned. Bought 6 years ago and still going strong. Not sure they make Sharp brand tvs any more....at least I don't think they make them at their Memphis mfg. facility any more. Agree with everyone else.....just buy a new one. They are half the price vs when I bought my Aquos.