PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead Interview on QB & Coach

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2018, 11:24 AM
- Says we just look OK right now but will get better. Says it's difficult as a coach to figure out what the players actually know vs what you think they should know.

- Said running game blocking is very similar to Mullen's offense but with more 2nd & 3rd level reads for QB. Blocking is the same.

- "I've never seen anything like this defensive line" "It's something else brother. We can't even get a pass off half the time." "It's relentless but is making our OL better."

- QB sets protection. Not OL

- Facilities are on par with anywhere he has been, but, if we want to take things from good to great, there are things functionally in both the facility & indoor that need to be improved if we want to catch Bama.

- "I've met Coach Luke a few times & he seems like a good guy"

* The more I listen to Moorhead & see the results, it's becoming clear to me that, while Mullen was a great coach for MSU, for us to take the next step, I think him moving on was the best for everyone involved. Just sucks the way he shopped himself & didn't put everything into winning a championship at MSU, particularly on the recruiting trail. That being said, I think the torch has been passed at the right time to the right person.

Commercecomet24
04-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Good stuff, Gun!

TaleofTwoDogs
04-05-2018, 02:59 PM
About the only thing in his comments that bodes well for a run at the West Division is his remark about the DL. Everybody else needs to step it up before September comes. It's early so there's time to improve.

Liverpooldawg
04-05-2018, 05:41 PM
- Says we just look OK right now but will get better. Says it's difficult as a coach to figure out what the players actually know vs what you think they should know.

- Said running game blocking is very similar to Mullen's offense but with more 2nd & 3rd level reads for QB. Blocking is the same.

- "I've never seen anything like this defensive line" "It's something else brother. We can't even get a pass off half the time." "It's relentless but is making our OL better."

- QB sets protection. Not OL

- Facilities are on par with anywhere he has been, but, if we want to take things from good to great, there are things functionally in both the facility & indoor that need to be improved if we want to catch Bama.

- "I've met Coach Luke a few times & he seems like a good guy"

* The more I listen to Moorhead & see the results, it's becoming clear to me that, while Mullen was a great coach for MSU, for us to take the next step, I think him moving on was the best for everyone involved. Just sucks the way he shopped himself & didn't put everything into winning a championship at MSU, particularly on the recruiting trail. That being said, I think the torch has been passed at the right time to the right person.

Good stuff. I supported Mullen to the hilt as you all know, but that's water under the bridge. The time to let him go was the day he left, for all of us. I'm extremely pleased with what I have seen so far from Moorhead and the new staff. The proof is in the pudding though. That pudding being the next few seasons.

msbulldog
04-05-2018, 05:57 PM
HAIL STATE!

Goldendawg
04-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Do you think not having a football only indoor practice facility hurts us with recruiting? How many SEC programs have them with 120 plus yard fields?

Leeshouldveflanked
04-05-2018, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=Goldendawg;916150]Do you think not having a football only indoor practice facility hurts us with recruiting? How many SEC programs have them with 120 plus yard fields?[/QUOTE

Ole Miss Manning Center is pretty nice..... Carrollton Ga High School is building a 120 yard indoor practice facilty with state of the art weight room.

TrapGame
04-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Mullen laid the ground work for phase one. It's time for Joe to be the architect for phase two.

MedDawg
04-05-2018, 09:04 PM
Mullen laid the ground work for phase one. It's time for Joe to be the architect for phase two.

Mullen didn't use the indoor practice field unless absolutely necessary due to weather. If he really wanted one, I bet we would have built him one. Now it's obvious that Moorhead wants one. If Moorhead wins this fall we will have IPF plans before this time next year.

I'm curious about the what improvements the football center needs other than the indoor practice field. I thought our new football office/weight room/training facility was top notch?

Either way, if we build an indoor practice field where the practice field is immediately adjacent to the current football facility, we can addon or renovate the current football facility as Moorhead wants/needs.

It will be expensive, however, and we have recently spent a ton of money on other facilities (basketball IPF, softball/outdoor tennis facility, Davis Wade expansion/renovation, football office/weight/training facility, New Dude), and apparently are already planning a new indoor tennis facility. Crazy to think we would have or could get enough money to build another IPF (this would be our third IPF). Nearly every athletic facility except the Hump would be new.

ScoobaDawg
04-06-2018, 01:02 AM
Thanks