PDA

View Full Version : MLB Draft

louisvilledawg
04-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Just looking over a 2018 mock mlb draft and saw that we have three players/signees in the first 100 picks.

Pick 46 - Cincinnati Reds - Konnor Pilkington
Pick 64 - New York Yankees - JT Ginn
Pick 93 - Colorado Rockies - Jake Mangum

Is there any chance in hell we keep JT Ginn and he comes to MSU?

Does anybody else think Mangum in round 3 is too high?

Cooterpoot
04-05-2018, 08:53 AM
No shot at keeping Ginn. There were probably 30 scouts watching him a couple weeks ago. He's going to float that he's considering school, but that's just to get the money. He gone.

Bulldog1
04-05-2018, 08:58 AM
I hope Pilkington gets drafted by Atlanta.

msstate7
04-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Jake is helping himself this season imo

Last season: bb rate - 2.94, k rate - 11.44
This season: Bb rate - 8.45, k rate - 9.15

If he keeps his bb rate up and close to his k rate, I think he has a chance to be a good player

msstate7
04-05-2018, 09:01 AM
I hope Pilkington gets drafted by Atlanta.
Him throwing 86 in the 5th inning spooks me

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Ginn looked like a reliever last Summer but cleaned up his delivery. He gone
Carter Stuart - Gone
Cole Winn- Gone
Jermiah Jackson - Gone

Bad luck this year. All 4 of our top signees got better.

MarketingBully
04-05-2018, 09:02 AM
I think there is a possibility to keep Ginn simply because he will want first round money to go in the draft. The poster who knows his family should chime in here. He really wants to come to State.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2018, 09:05 AM
Jake is helping himself this season imo

Last season: bb rate - 2.94, k rate - 11.44
This season: Bb rate - 8.45, k rate - 9.15

If he keeps his bb rate up and close to his k rate, I think he has a chance to be a good player

Maybe a little. Magnum is certainly a comfortable pick. Problem is that his lack of power virtually eliminates him from being an everyday player in the big leagues, so that pushes him down the draft board.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2018, 09:06 AM
I think there is a possibility to keep Ginn simply because he will want first round money to go in the draft. The poster who knows his family should chime in here. He really wants to come to State.

I think he’ll get 1st round money but just not get taken in the 1st round. He’ll go between picks 25-40 and get 2 mil

MarketingBully
04-05-2018, 09:10 AM
I think he’ll get 1st round money but just not get taken in the 1st round. He’ll go between picks 25-40 and get 2 mil

Who knows. The MLB draft is the draft I hate the most simply because it robs the college game more then any other draft. Between the NCAA and MLB, college baseball gets wracked in the nuts worse then any sport. The 11.7 scholarship limit is such a joke.

Bulldog1
04-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Him throwing 86 in the 5th inning spooks me

If Small goes, I want him.

msstate7
04-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Maybe a little. Magnum is certainly a comfortable pick. Problem is that his lack of power virtually eliminates him from being an everyday player in the big leagues, so that pushes him down the draft board.

Yeah, in no way am I saying he is a top pick. I do think he is rising though

msstate7
04-05-2018, 09:18 AM
If Small goes, I want him.

I want Casey mize

Bulldog1
04-05-2018, 09:23 AM
I want Casey mize

We’ll have to trade up. He is a top 3-5 pick. Brady Singer might be available, I don’t know where he’s projected.

Commercecomet24
04-05-2018, 09:26 AM

We do have a shot to keep JT. If Cann hadn't screwed up he would be here. I just talked to Mike yesterday and who we hire is gonna be a big factor. Just on my conversations with Mike, I'd say its 50/50. The big reason we still have a shot is he really wants to play college baseball and he still wants to hit and play a position as well as pitch. MLB wants him as a pitcher although some teams have worked him out at catcher. Another deciding factor is JT can enter the draft after 2 years of college ball not 3 because of his age. I really hope he comes to State because, I've been friends with his dad for over 40 years and known him since he was little. If they decide to go MLB can't say that I blame him. It's a dream come true and a lot of money. Don't give up on him just yet.

msstate7
04-05-2018, 09:27 AM
We’ll have to trade up. He is a top 3-5 pick. Brady Singer might be available, I don’t know where he’s projected.

I am keeping fingers crossed. Last year Wright fell in the Braves? lap. Lattimore fell to the saints. Hopefully the good luck continues

Commercecomet24
04-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Ginn looked like a reliever last Summer but cleaned up his delivery. He gone
Carter Stuart - Gone
Cole Winn- Gone
Jermiah Jackson - Gone

Bad luck this year. All 4 of our top signees got better.

Just so you'll know, Gun. JT looked like a reliever because his dad has had him on a strict pitch count the last 3 years not because he cleaned up his delivery. He was never going to throw many pitches or start until this year. That's been the plan all along.

Bulldog1
04-05-2018, 09:31 AM
I am keeping fingers crossed. Last year Wright fell in the Braves? lap. Lattimore fell to the saints. Hopefully the good luck continues

I hope we get Mize too.

smootness
04-05-2018, 09:36 AM

Can't trade up. Singer won't be there at 8, either. He's a possible 1-1.

msstate7
04-05-2018, 09:41 AM
Can't trade up. Singer won't be there at 8, either. He's a possible 1-1.

AA likes HS guys more anyway, right? Think I read that somewhere

Bulldog1
04-05-2018, 09:46 AM

What about getting Ginn at some point in the draft?

msstate7
04-05-2018, 09:50 AM
What about getting Ginn at some point in the draft?

Like Riley lol

Not sure how I feel about that. I really know nothing about Ginn other than he is major draft risk

Bulldog1
04-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Like Riley lol

Not sure how I feel about that. I really know nothing about Ginn other than he is major draft risk

I want him to come to State, but if he’s going pro, let him go to Atlanta! Haha

MarketingBully
04-05-2018, 09:57 AM
We do have a shot to keep JT. If Cann hadn't screwed up he would be here. I just talked to Mike yesterday and who we hire is gonna be a big factor. Just on my conversations with Mike, I'd say its 50/50. The big reason we still have a shot is he really wants to play college baseball and he still wants to hit and play a position as well as pitch. MLB wants him as a pitcher although some teams have worked him out at catcher. Another deciding factor is JT can enter the draft after 2 years of college ball not 3 because of his age. I really hope he comes to State because, I've been friends with his dad for over 40 years and known him since he was little. If they decide to go MLB can't say that I blame him. It's a dream come true and a lot of money. Don't give up on him just yet.

If we get Dan McDonnell, would that excite the family enough for Ginn to come? Hearing JC?s interview on H2H has me convinced now more then ever that as soon as Louisville?s season ends, McDonnell will be announced as our new head coach.

Commercecomet24
04-05-2018, 10:11 AM
If we get Dan McDonnell, would that excite the family enough for Ginn to come? Hearing JC?s interview on H2H has me convinced now more then ever that as soon as Louisville?s season ends, McDonnell will be announced as our new head coach.

They do love the fact that McDonnell let McKay pitch and hit as well, and the fact McKay was drafted as a 2 way player. JT loves to hit and he just really isn't ready to give it up just yet. McDonnell could be big, not just for JT but some others as well. If an MLB team tells him they will draft him this June and let him play pitch and hit, I think that would be hard to turn down(along with the money as well), but no MLB team has even approached them about that.

ETA Personally if we get McDonnell I would be ecstatic. Don't know what our chances are realistically but if Cohen could pull that off, WOW!

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Just so you'll know, Gun. JT looked like a reliever because his dad has had him on a strict pitch count the last 3 years not because he cleaned up his delivery. He was never going to throw many pitches or start until this year. That's been the plan all along.

His pitch count had nothing to do with it. The effort in his delivery had everything to do with it. He?s smoother and easier this Spring.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Alex likes the best players.

Alex loves athletes. He?s always been the type to take a chance on the top shelf athlete with less skill instead of the more refined guy.

MarketingBully
04-05-2018, 10:19 AM
They do love the fact that McDonnell let McKay pitch and hit as well, and the fact McKay was drafted as a 2 way player. JT loves to hit and he just really isn't ready to give it up just yet. McDonnell could be big, not just for JT but some others as well. If an MLB team tells him they will draft him this June and let him play pitch and hit, I think that would be hard to turn down(along with the money as well), but no MLB team has even approached them about that.

ETA Personally if we get McDonnell I would be ecstatic. Don't know what our chances are realistically but if Cohen could pull that off, WOW!

The H2H interview with Cohen got me pumped because it confirmed what Kendall Rogers had stated. Cohen laid out who our next head coach would be: a guy with a lot of experience and a guy who has had multiple trips to Omaha. Cohen even said he was surprised at the interest this job has gotten. I think the timing is just perfect for McDonnell to get out of Louisville. He had loyalty to Jurich and if Jurich were still there I don’t think he would leave for any job. But Jurich is gone and from what I’ve seen he’s not keen on who replaced him. If I had to guess, McDonnell is our guy.

Commercecomet24
04-05-2018, 10:23 AM
His pitch count had nothing to do with it. The effort in his delivery had everything to do with it. He?s smoother and easier this Spring.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I know straight from the horses mouth(not just Mike, but the scouts) but you just keep on being you.

Commercecomet24
04-05-2018, 10:31 AM
The H2H interview with Cohen got me pumped because it confirmed what Kendall Rogers had stated. Cohen laid out who our next head coach would be: a guy with a lot of experience and a guy who has had multiple trips to Omaha. Cohen even said he was surprised at the interest this job has gotten. I think the timing is just perfect for McDonnell to get out of Louisville. He had loyalty to Jurich and if Jurich were still there I don’t think he would leave for any job. But Jurich is gone and from what I’ve seen he’s not keen on who replaced him. If I had to guess, McDonnell is our guy.

Man, I hope you're right. Would be an awesome hire!

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2018, 10:39 AM
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I know straight from the horses mouth(not just Mike, but the scouts) but you just keep on being you.

Haha, Ok

MarketingBully
04-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Man, I hope you're right. Would be an awesome hire!

Yep, and the great thing about if we did hire McDonnell he would have more talent on this team then the Louisville team he took over in 2007 that he took to the CWS. We basically wouldn’t miss a beat in what we are trying to build here.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Yep, and the great thing about if we did hire McDonnell he would have more talent on this team then the Louisville team he took over in 2007 that he took to the CWS. We basically wouldn?t miss a beat in what we are trying to build here.

True, but look at this schedule. Only 13 regular season games vs power 5 teams. LOL

https://gocards.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=63&path=baseball

Cooterpoot
04-05-2018, 10:51 AM

It looked like a bomb went off a couple weeks ago after they pulled Ginn due to pitch count. Scouts were scattering like a hail storm rolled in. He put on a show though...I don't think he'll be able to turn down the money he's going to be offered.

Cooterpoot
04-05-2018, 10:53 AM

See Stephen Head too. McDonnell was a part of that as well.

Commercecomet24
04-05-2018, 10:54 AM
See Stephen Head too. McDonnell was a part of that as well.

Man that's right, I forget about Head. Good recall, Cooter.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2018, 11:29 AM
.Delete