PDA

View Full Version : Everyone keeps talking about next year's schedule but I only see 7 wins

msugolf
10-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Aug. 30 Southern Miss Starkville W
Sep 06 UAB Starkville W
Sep 13 South Alabama Mobile, AL W
Sep 20 LSU * Baton Rouge, LA L
Oct 04 Texas A&M * Starkville L
Oct 11 Auburn * Starkville L
Oct 25 Kentucky * Lexington, KY W
Nov 01 Arkansas * Starkville W
Nov 08 UT-Martin Starkville W
Nov 15 Alabama * Tuscaloosa, AL L
Nov 22 Vanderbilt * Starkville W
Nov 29 Ole Miss * Oxford, MS L

Given Mullen's track record over the past 5 years of going against teams with equal or better talent, this is how it will play out. So why is everyone rallying around the patented MState catch-phrase of "next year" again. Sure, Dak will be back and will be solid. But unless we bring in some immediate playmakers this class (which we aren't) then all those teams I've penciled in as losses, who have recruited better, will more than likely beat us.

This isn't a bash-Dan thread. I just don't know why all the optimism for next year when we pretty much know what we're getting. (Or perhaps everyone's excited for 7-5). After 5 years, you can pretty much start to predict the pattern, IMO.

CadaverDawg
10-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Why would you pencil in a loss to Auburn at home? We can also beat Ole miss at Oxford, far from a penciled in loss. Outside of that, what the hell do you think is a good season?? Would 7-9 wins not be a good season with a chance at winning 10 if we beat A&M or LSU or Bama which could all be starting new QB's next year? Wake up man

Bad post IMO

TheRef
10-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Also, unless OM changes their playcalling and their tendencies I wouldn't be afraid from calling the Egg Bowl a toss-up win. There's no reason to NOT be optimistic about next year.

msugolf
10-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Sorry you didn't like it.

I penciled in a loss to Auburn because 1) they've recruited better 2) are also very young 3) and Mullen has never beaten a Malzahn-led offense. More than likely they'll be preseason top 25 next year and based on how we play against ranked teams, its a loss. Not that far of a reach IMO.

And NO I wouldn't be pleased with 7-5. You mentioned a chance at 9? We aren't beating those teams you mentioned. Sorry, not going to happen. And this is where I was going that original post. I don't care if AM, LSU and Bama start new everyone. How can anyone think we'll win based on who they lost. Did you not watch the Aub game? They played freshmen d-lineman and a former DB at QB. We lost yesterday because of talent. Guess what, all those teams will still be more talented than us next year. And yes, I do expect more than that in the years with a good schedule and an experienced team. Especially when you're paying $2.6 million.

TheRef
10-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Someone's drinking the hater-ade. Bahaha. I crack myself up sometimes. But seriously....hater-ade.

CadaverDawg
10-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Sorry you didn't like it.

I penciled in a loss to Auburn because 1) they've recruited better 2) are also very young 3) and Mullen has never beaten a Malzahn-led offense. More than likely they'll be preseason top 25 next year and based on how we play against ranked teams, its a loss. Not that far of a reach IMO.

And NO I wouldn't be pleased with 7-5. You mentioned a chance at 9? We aren't beating those teams you mentioned. Sorry, not going to happen. And this is where I was going that original post. I don't care if AM, LSU and Bama start new everyone. How can anyone think we'll win based on who they lost. Did you not watch the Aub game? They played freshmen d-lineman and a former DB at QB. We lost yesterday because of talent. Guess what, all those teams will still be more talented than us next year. And yes, I do expect more than that in the years with a good schedule and an experienced team. Especially when you're paying $2.6 million.

So.....you're saying we won't beat Auburn at home even though we beat them last year. We won't beat ole miss at Oxford even though Mullen has done it. So basically you are simply talking out of your ass because you're frustrated? Gotcha. I'll agree to disagree

I'm not saying I'm happy with what's going on, but to act like next year couldn't be a big one for us, is crazy. And if you aren't happy with 7-8 wins as a State fan, you need a reality check, because you're insane

Political Hack
10-06-2013, 03:55 PM
every schedule should be broken down into 3 categories: probable wins, probable losses, and toss ups.

Next season breaks down like this:
Probable Wins (6): USM, UAB, USA, Kentucky, UT-Martin, Vandy
Probable Losses (3): A&M, LSU, Bama
Toss Ups (3): Auburn, Ark, OM

Two of the 3 toss ups are at home. That's a favorable schedule.

HoopsDawg
10-06-2013, 03:58 PM
why are u already talking about this?

TheRef
10-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Just to clarify with my last post, I'm kidding around with you. Lightening the mood. I apologize if it seemed like I was teasing you or anything else. Welcome to EliteDawgs.

chef dixon
10-06-2013, 04:00 PM
every schedule should be broken down into 3 categories: probable wins, probable losses, and toss ups.

Next season breaks down like this:
Probable Wins (6): USM, UAB, USA, Kentucky, UT-Martin, Vandy
Probable Losses (3): A&M, LSU, Bama
Toss Ups (3): Auburn, Ark, OM

Two of the 3 toss ups are at home. That's a favorable schedule.

If Manziel leaves, I think A&M has to be a toss up

Political Hack
10-06-2013, 04:06 PM
If Manziel leaves, I think A&M has to be a toss up

I'd make that more dependent on Sumlin than Johnny Drama. He's going to be up for the USCw and NFL jobs.... but yeah, Johnny leaving would help even the score a lot.

Coach34
10-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Couple of things:

1. We'll be favored over Auburn at home
2. Manziel wont be back to A&M
3. Home team doesnt lose the Egg Bowl these days- expect the BearSharks to hold serve next year

bluelightstar
10-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Couple of things:

1. We'll be favored over Auburn at home
2. Manziel wont be back to A&M
3. Home team doesnt lose the Egg Bowl these days- expect the BearSharks to hold serve next year

We may win next year, but as reasonably as can be projected a year out, it's more likely than not that we will not be favored over Auburn.

Coach34
10-06-2013, 04:22 PM
We may win next year, but as reasonably as can be projected a year out, it's more likely than not that we will not be favored over Auburn.

I think it's 90% we'll be favored. We'll be returning 16 starters and playing at home. Prescott, JRob, all our WR's, Chris Jones, McKinney....we'll get some pub next year and expected to be pretty salty

CadaverDawg
10-06-2013, 04:24 PM

Completely disagree. We will be favored more than likely. Not only will we return everybody, but we will be at home in a series that is always close. We will be about a 3 point favorite most likely

bluelightstar
10-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Completely disagree. We will be favored more than likely. Not only will we return everybody, but we will be at home in a series that is always close. We will be about a 3 point favorite most likely

Eh, I suspect 4-1 Auburn is going to be favored over 3-2 Mississippi State. Of course, trying to predict who'll be favored in a Week 6 game NEXT season is gonna be an inexact science.

HoopsDawg
10-06-2013, 04:35 PM
we are only losing one player from this year's team that will be missed and that's Gabe Jackson. You can fill out our starting 22 with experienced players right now.

bluelightstar
10-06-2013, 04:37 PM
we are only losing one player from this year's team that will be missed and that's Gabe Jackson. You can fill out our starting 22 with experienced players right now.

Agreed, but other teams are getting better too. And their players that are getting better typically come in as "better players" than ours to begin with. Not a bash-Mullen thread, but just reminding everyone that this is not occurring in a vacuum.

CadaverDawg
10-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Eh, I suspect 4-1 Auburn is going to be favored over 3-2 Mississippi State. Of course, trying to predict who'll be favored in a Week 6 game NEXT season is gonna be an inexact science.

Haha so Auburn is guaranteed to beat Arkansas and/or Kansas State, yet we are guaranteed to lose to A&M without Manziel and LSU without Mettenberger? First of all, I can draw a lot of assumptions if I make up results. Second of all, even with those records you listed (since they do seem likely based on history), we will be favored at home over Auburn.

msstate7
10-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Agreed, but other teams are getting better too. And their players that are getting better typically come in as "better players" than ours to begin with. Not a bash-Mullen thread, but just reminding everyone that this is not occurring in a vacuum.

We'll have the better qb and the best player (Chris jones) in the game. Our wr's and db's will have experience next season. Those two groups' inexperience is what's killing em

missouridawg
10-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Aug. 30 Southern Miss Starkville W
Sep 06 UAB Starkville W
Sep 13 South Alabama Mobile, AL W
Sep 20 LSU * Baton Rouge, LA L
Oct 04 Texas A&M * Starkville L
Oct 11 Auburn * Starkville L
Oct 25 Kentucky * Lexington, KY W
Nov 01 Arkansas * Starkville W
Nov 08 UT-Martin Starkville W
Nov 15 Alabama * Tuscaloosa, AL L
Nov 22 Vanderbilt * Starkville W
Nov 29 Ole Miss * Oxford, MS L

Given Mullen's track record over the past 5 years of going against teams with equal or better talent, this is how it will play out. So why is everyone rallying around the patented MState catch-phrase of "next year" again. Sure, Dak will be back and will be solid. But unless we bring in some immediate playmakers this class (which we aren't) then all those teams I've penciled in as losses, who have recruited better, will more than likely beat us.

This isn't a bash-Dan thread. I just don't know why all the optimism for next year when we pretty much know what we're getting. (Or perhaps everyone's excited for 7-5). After 5 years, you can pretty much start to predict the pattern, IMO.

Please allow me to help you here.

USM - win
UAB - win
USA - win
LSU - loss
aTm - coin flip if Manziel leaves
AUB - a little better than a coin flip
UK - win
ARK - a little better than coin flip
UTM - win
ALA - loss
VAN - a little better than a coin flip
OM - coin flip

So I've got 5 wins, 3 likely wins, 2 coin flips, and 2 losses. All three likely wins comes at home too, meaning we should get at least 2. That's 7 wins with 2 true coin flips games (1 at home, 1 on the road). 8 wins should be the minimum next year, with 9 being a decent chance to obtain. 10 wins is not out of the question, but we'll need some breaks and good player development this next offseason (which is why that mini-camp before the bowl game is oh-so-important this year).

MarketingBully01
10-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I think we go 9-3 with our losses to LSU and Alabama. Dak will be bad ass next year and our WR will be great along with our run game. We will have a solid team next year and have a chance at 10 wins with a bowl win. Dak is going to be one if the best QBs we have ever had if he can improve his passing game which he will do by next year. He already is a better passer then Relf ever was. I think 2014 will be better then our 2010 year. I think this year we are just too young at very important positions mainly WR and secondary.

DownwardDawg
10-06-2013, 05:42 PM
I see us winning 8 or 9 next year even with Mullen coaching and I'm viewed as a negative poster.