PDA

View Full Version : MSU Tennis

Thompson92
04-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Not sure if any of you have been following men?s tennis this year, but we have a really special team. We?re ranked 7th right now and 8-0 in the SEC. Only loss of the season was at #14 Oklahoma State back in January. We?ve already beat Florida and Georgia, both perennial powerhouses. We have several nationally ranked singles and doubles teams, including Nuno Borges, who has been in the Top 5 all year.

The next two weeks are huge. This Friday, our last home match is at 3 pm against Arkansas. It would be incredible to go undefeated at home for the season. On Sunday at 1 pm, we play at Ole Miss. They?re 2-7 in the SEC this year, and we really need to make them feel the pain. If you can make it to either match, please consider it. These guys work really hard and deserve our support. Even if you don?t know much about tennis, the matches are an absolute blast to attend.

On April 13, we play at #5 TAMU at 6 pm. They?re also undefeated in SEC play, and they have several really talented players. The winner of that match will very likely win the SEC. I know there are plenty of State fans in Houston, and it would be a pretty easy drive up to see them play.

We?ve just about locked up a hosting spot for the NCAA tourney, and the better we do now, the easier the competition will be in the final 16.

Support the ladies too. They?re 5-5 in the SEC and still have a great chance to make the NCAAs. Earlier in the season, they upset #2 Vandy. Historically, the women?s team has been one of the worst in the SEC, but things have really turned around the past couple of seasons. They have three home matches left: 4/5 vs. Tenn, 4/7 vs. UGA, and 4/13 vs. Ole Miss.

TimberBeast
04-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Been keeping up with both men's and women's teams and they are both doing great. Men's team has a chance to pull off something special this year if they can close it out, they have been on a tear. I wish I could get up there to watch but just too far away.

Bothrops
04-03-2018, 11:05 PM
Wouldn't it be ironic if we won a Natty in tennis this year..

BrunswickDawg
04-04-2018, 07:32 AM
Good to see them getting back. Tennis was fun to watch in the early 90s with Per Nillsen, Daniel Courcol and Laurent Miquelard.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic if we won a Natty in tennis this year..

Screw it..just win it in one of the sports.. this or track and field.. i dont care.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2018, 11:32 AM
delete

Thompson92
04-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Thought I would give an update, but didn’t feel like starting a new thread.

Women

Beat #31 UT, lost to #7 UGA. Now 6-6 in the SEC.
Remaining match: vs. OM in Starkville, Friday at 4 pm

Men

Beat #44 Arkansas and #35 OM. Now 10-0 in the SEC.
Remaining matches: @ #5 TAMU, Friday at 6 pm
@ LSU, Sunday at 12 pm

At this point, the guys are ranked 7th in the country. The match at TAMU will decide the SEC regular season title. MSU Mens Tennis has only won the SEC title once since 1967 (1993). They should be a lock to host at this point, and could end up seeded in the Top 8.

The ladies are ranked 32nd. Unless things completely collapse, they should make the NCAAs as well.