Missouri- hired Steve Bieser away from SE Missouri State

Mississippi State- hired asst coach Cann away from LSU
LSU- hired Paul Manieri away from Notre Dame
Ole Miss- hired Mike Bianco away from McNeese State
Auburn- hired asst Butch Thompson from State
UPig- hired Dave Van Horn away from Nebraska 16 years ago
Alabama- hired Auburn asst Brad Bohannon
Texas A&M- hired Nebraska asst Rob Childress

Not 1 coach in the SEC came from a major program. Not 1. Van Horn and Manieri are the only ones to come from a P5 program. South Carolina has won multiple championships and has a better program than us. They just hired South Florida's coach.

Please make sure you understand this as we hire our next coach

Todd4State
04-02-2018, 06:39 PM
I'm more concerned with their background than I am with whether they are a big name or not. We need someone that can identify talent and get players through the draft and we need an elite pitching coach.

That said, whether we hire a big name or not I absolutely expect MSU to go after big names. And according to Kendall Rogers we have.

Coach34
04-02-2018, 06:41 PM
That said, whether we hire a big name or not I absolutely expect MSU to go after big names. And according to Kendall Rogers we have.

So did Tennessee and Florida in football

ScottH
04-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Lets look at all the SEC schools and where their coach came from:

Vanderbilt- hired Clemson asst Tim Corbin
South Carolina- hired Mark Kingston away from South Florida
Georgia- hired Scott Stricklin away from Kent State
Kentucky- hired assistant Nick Mingione away from State
Florida- hired Clemson asst Kevin O'Sullivan
Tennessee- hired UPig asst Tony Vitello

Not 1 coach in the SEC came from a major program. Not 1. Van Horn and Manieri are the only ones to come from a P5 program. South Carolina has won multiple championships and has a better program than us. They just hired South Florida's coach.

Good info.

So if you had to call it today, is your money on...?
1. Assistant from any level
2. Head @ P5
3. Head @ Non P5
4. Any level of Pro
5. Not currently in coaching

SaintDawg
04-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Me thinks that our new head coach comes as an assistant from FL or LA. I don't see us luring a head coach from an SEC team or even a regional program outside the SEC without throwing a ton of money at them. I'm not saying that we can't do that, but should we do that? I would be happy with Butch or Nick coming back, but at what cost? They would have the crootin' power and they got the "know-how". What say y'all?

MetEdDawg
04-02-2018, 07:12 PM
This is good stuff coach. Honestly I think we can get a P5 coach that’s doing some good things at a non traditional baseball school.

But in today’s world it’s as much about who you learned from than it is experience. I truly believe Cann was the right guy for us. He didn’t work out, but we don’t need to say “oh if we didn’t get this top tier coach we had to settle”. Moorhead was a Top 3 assistant in all of college football. Has the right pedigree. The next baseball coach can be the same and still be a home run hire.

HoopsDawg
04-02-2018, 07:37 PM
If you told me our next coach was going to be the guy from Southeastern LA, Matt Riser, I would take it.

bostondawg
04-02-2018, 07:45 PM
Jokes on you--when we hire Ron Polk the third away from major program Mississippi State we'll see who's laughing.

The Federalist Engineer
04-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Jack Leggett coaching tree = 2 (Corbin and OSullivan)

Cohen Tree coaching tree = 4 (Ming, Thompson, Bohannon, and Henderson)

Skip Bertman Tree = 1 (Bianco)

Paul Mainieri is his own tree has coaches in other leagues and one fired coach that we know

Todd4State
04-02-2018, 08:44 PM
So did Tennessee and Florida in football

And I don't think either fan base is unhappy about that at the moment. I think Pruitt will do well. Dan was from another SEC school so technically that's better than any of the other backgrounds you listed. Although I don't think Dan will do better than he did here.

Cooterpoot
04-02-2018, 08:48 PM
McDonnell is coming. And not like Canns.

BoyGeorgeWallace
04-03-2018, 11:33 AM
I am good with McDonnell. I think he will do well and we have the added bonus of the Rebtards going crazy everytime we kick their ass.

Cooterpoot
04-03-2018, 11:43 AM
I seriously doubt we're getting McDonnell. Too many talking heads that run these various boards basically saying not to expect a top 10 coach is very telling to me. They've all got AD connections in one way or another.

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know if baseball coaches just don't go for the big $$$? From what little research I have done, O'Connor at UVA is making around $600-$650k per year but we were paying Canny $775k right out the gate. McDonnell is apparently the highest paid coach in college around $1 Mil. If we threw $800k at O'Connor, does anyone think we could get him? That is a pretty sizable raise and it isn't like we have crap facilities or fan support.

Coach34
04-03-2018, 04:06 PM
He'll just use us for a raise

dawgs
04-03-2018, 04:44 PM
He'll just use us for a raise

I’d like to see uva outbid is with their 800 fans per game.

Intramural All-American
04-03-2018, 04:58 PM
I’d like to see uva outbid is with their 800 fans per game.

That's O'Conner. McDonnell is Louisville. He has no buyout clause, and he is an extremely possible candidate. Coach34 is trying to be helpful here, but he really doesn't have any inside info on this coaching search. I would put very much on the fact that we will hire a head coach from a major conference team.

preachermatt83
04-03-2018, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know if baseball coaches just don't go for the big $$$? From what little research I have done, O'Connor at UVA is making around $600-$650k per year but we were paying Canny $775k right out the gate. McDonnell is apparently the highest paid coach in college around $1 Mil. If we threw $800k at O'Connor, does anyone think we could get him? That is a pretty sizable raise and it isn't like we have crap facilities or fan support.

2nd highest. 1.3 mil. Schlosnagle is highest at 1.45 mil.

Coach34
04-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Coach34 is trying to be helpful here, but he really doesn't have any inside info on this coaching search. I would put very much on the fact that we will hire a head coach from a major conference team.

I do not and have not claimed any on this search. I'm going on historical and recent coaching hires. When SC is hiring the South Florida coach and Bama is hiring Auburn assistants- I simply dont see us pulling a major guy- especially with the lack of talent in Mississippi

dawgoneyall
04-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Cohen on HtoH today may have given away his target.

Multiple trips to the college world series etc. etc-sure described the Louisville or TCU's coach.

Coach34
04-03-2018, 05:54 PM
If we get McDonell then Louisville truly is toxic and its a great hire for us. Thats obviously best case scenario I just cant get my hopes up on that based on previous SEC coaching hires

preachermatt83
04-03-2018, 06:56 PM
What hour was it on... I will lost em to podcast. I think Cohen def goes for a big fish but I think it's about 50/50 on landing one. If not I would expect butch or jay johnson. I think rob Childress is s big fish that very few are talking about that I think Cohen would be going after. I still don't think Corbin is out of the running. If someone told me I had to bet 1000 bucks on one name it would be butch.

Bully13
04-03-2018, 08:23 PM
I'm trying to figure out whether or not this thread makes me happy or sad. and I haven't even read it.

preachermatt83
04-03-2018, 09:15 PM
After listening to Cohen today, I believe fully he's got his guy and it's gonna be a big fish. It's gonna be a Childress, Corbin, Schlosnagle, sully type of hire. I'm more convinced of that now. My money is no longer on butch after listening to that interview.

Maridian Dawg
04-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Can I get a link to the podcast?

AlSwearengen
04-03-2018, 09:37 PM
I agree with coach’s reasoning here. With that said, who knows what is going on with any particular coach’s private life. Schlossnagle might have a mother in law living in West Alabama. McDonnell might hate the new ad.

I Won’t be surprised if we end up with a former sec assistant that has done well at a non power 5 school for three or four years. I’m not talking about butch or Mingione.

dawgoneyall
04-03-2018, 10:04 PM
After listening to Cohen today, I believe fully he's got his guy and it's gonna be a big fish. It's gonna be a Childress, Corbin, Schlosnagle, sully type of hire. I'm more convinced of that now. My money is no longer on butch after listening to that interview.

I got the impression McDonnell....?????

Outstanding at his specialty and great general knowledge of the game and multiple trips to the CWS............
But he said definitely the choice has not been made.

Bothrops
04-03-2018, 11:28 PM
I'm feeling better about it now

ScottH
04-03-2018, 11:47 PM
Can I get a link to the podcast?

Hour 2 about the 37 minute mark

Todd4State
04-03-2018, 11:51 PM
It will be what it will be. Like I said the most important thing is the coaches background with MLB and the relationship with scouts and how they evaluate talent.

Cohen is very good at evaluating and hiring baseball coaches. It's pretty incredible that his first staff with us ended up having all three become head coaches at SEC schools or C-USA. And Lane could end up being a SEC coach one day as well. That doesn't include his staff at Kentucky which also had a staff that all became head coaches- Henderson, Bohannon, and Mingione.

The other thing that is comforting to me is Cohen knows what kind of coach it is going to take for us to get to a National Championship based on his hire of Cann. And the hiring of Cann to me makes it unlikely that it will be one of his old assistants because bringing back Butch or hiring Bohannon or even Mingione would have been the easy move at that point in time.

Joe Schmedlap
04-04-2018, 07:33 AM
Cannizaro wasn’t really making that kind of money at State, was he? Now, he would have reached that level if he hadn’t been treating every day like Hump day. I seem to recall that he was started out at some point just under 500k

ScoobaDawg
04-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Cannizaro wasn’t really making that kind of money at State, was he? Now, he would have reached that level if he hadn’t been treating every day like Hump day. I seem to recall that he was started out at some point just under 500k

Cann didn't deserve a top payment.. He was about to become a first year hc. He was getting paid 533k average for 4 years. This next hire will be a lot more expensive..

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2018, 09:59 AM

This was from the CL when he was hired. I thought Canny was making more but I must have read in one of the articles where they listed Cohen's salary because it is $750k.

Cannizaro signed a four-year deal with an average salary of $533,333.

I wonder how high Cohen is willing to go for a coach.

dawgs
04-04-2018, 01:05 PM
That's O'Conner. McDonnell is Louisville. He has no buyout clause, and he is an extremely possible candidate. Coach34 is trying to be helpful here, but he really doesn't have any inside info on this coaching search. I would put very much on the fact that we will hire a head coach from a major conference team.

I assumed C34 was referring to o?conner since his post followed up a post about o?connor?s salary.

dawgs
04-04-2018, 01:11 PM
This was from the CL when he was hired. I thought Canny was making more but I must have read in one of the articles where they listed Cohen's salary because it is $750k.

Cannizaro signed a four-year deal with an average salary of $533,333.

I wonder how high Cohen is willing to go for a coach.

If we pony up for a McDonell or Schlossnagle type hire, salary will almost assuredly pay for itself. Or we can pinch pennies and hire an unknown quantity coming off the cann disaster and subsequent lost season and end up chasing away fans with poor results. Then we are on the hook for a fancy, expensive stadium that no one goes to.

MarketingBully
04-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Lets look at all the SEC schools and where their coach came from:

Vanderbilt- hired Clemson asst Tim Corbin
South Carolina- hired Mark Kingston away from South Florida
Georgia- hired Scott Stricklin away from Kent State
Kentucky- hired assistant Nick Mingione away from State
Florida- hired Clemson asst Kevin O'Sullivan
Tennessee- hired UPig asst Tony Vitello

I think you will be wrong for the second time on this hire and this time it had everything to do with timing more then anything else. I understand your logic and reasoning though.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Damn its gonna be a long next couple of months

MarketingBully
04-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Damn its gonna be a long next couple of months

I want Louisville to go out in the regional so we can make the hire shortly after that.