PDA

View Full Version : How's the baseball coach search going?

Dawg61
04-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Cohen keeping it close to the vest again like the football search huh. He knocked it out the park with Moorhead so I am confident in Cohen but just wondering if anyone knows any juicy bits they'd like to share. Thanks

Todd4State
04-02-2018, 06:19 PM
I suspect we won't hear anything that I would consider legit until the regular season ends.

My guess is we will officially hire someone around CWS Finals time and the 4th of July.

It's going to be a long seven weeks and then a long month after that.

Saltydog
04-02-2018, 06:51 PM
very quiet. He wouldn't comment on whether or not there had been contact. Not sure it'd be a deal breaker if he is the guy we want but he does have a $1MM buyout. Also said that Butch loved Auburn and was very content there and even though MSU is his dream job he had a good thing going right now. He does have some unique family situations here that could factor into his decision should he be offered.

viverlibre
04-02-2018, 08:11 PM
He knocked it out the park with Moorhead

Let's let him coach a game first. The true grade of most football hires is the third season.

Dawg61
04-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Let's let him coach a game first. The true grade of most football hires is the third season.

I'd be absolutely shocked if given the same time Moorhead doesn't shatter every record Mullen has.

Coach34
04-02-2018, 08:26 PM
Moorhead inherited a gold mine. He doesnt even have to coach hard to win 10 games

Homedawg
04-02-2018, 08:27 PM
I suspect we won't hear anything that I would consider legit until the regular season ends.

My guess is we will officially hire someone around CWS Finals time and the 4th of July.

It's going to be a long seven weeks and then a long month after that.

We will have a coach before then. Unless our coach is in he finals. Every recruiting day is precious.

Coach34
04-02-2018, 08:29 PM
We will announce our new coach within a day or two of their season ending

Todd4State
04-02-2018, 08:42 PM
We will have a coach before then. Unless our coach is in he finals. Every recruiting day is precious.

Yeah- I'm definitely leaning more towards it being around CWS Finals time than July 4th. I think we will know as fans who it is going to be before then but I think the AD will make a splash and announce it at least while the CWS is going on to give it more PR/impact. That's the time when college baseball is more at the forefront and if we hire someone around that time ESPN and others will be talking about it a little bit.

I only put July 4th because as you said on the off chance that whoever our next coach is happens to be in Omaha at that time or there are some snags.

Homedawg
04-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Yeah- I'm definitely leaning more towards it being around CWS Finals time than July 4th. I think we will know as fans who it is going to be before then but I think the AD will make a splash and announce it at least while the CWS is going on to give it more PR/impact. That's the time when college baseball is more at the forefront and if we hire someone around that time ESPN and others will be talking about it a little bit.

I only put July 4th because as you said on the off chance that whoever our next coach is happens to be in Omaha at that time or there are some snags.

Again, when he knows who it is, and he will, he's going to hire him pronto after said persons season ends. JC won't care about making a splash, he's gonna want him on the road! If it drags into Cws, it means one of two things, one our guy is coaching in it or two, we don't have a definite commitment from one or more and he's using the cws as leverage.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-02-2018, 09:16 PM
We will announce our new coach within a day or two of their season ending

Agreed. Emphasis on THEIR season ending, not ours.

Todd4State
04-02-2018, 10:47 PM
Again, when he knows who it is, and he will, he's going to hire him pronto after said persons season ends. JC won't care about making a splash, he's gonna want him on the road! If it drags into Cws, it means one of two things, one our guy is coaching in it or two, we don't have a definite commitment from one or more and he's using the cws as leverage.

Unless I'm mistaken June is a dead period for college baseball recruiting. Or at least it used to be. I think the first day that coaches can officially offer scholarships is July 1st or around that time. I do know that Cohen has been keeping our commits and recruits up to date on what is going on.

Cohen may or may not want to make a splash- but I think after the black eye that we have endured this season he probably will be more likely to want to make one.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cohen knows who it is going to be right now to be honest with you. But we'll see in 7-10 weeks.

ScoobaDawg
04-02-2018, 11:10 PM
We could only hope realistically we don't know until sometime in the CWS.. would be great to get that caliber of a coach...

But until then..nothing should really be believed until then.. would not surprise me at all several names we hear just play it for a pay raise.. it's a great situation for them to do so if it's shown it's plausible.

Pit Bull
04-03-2018, 03:11 AM
I'd be absolutely shocked if given the same time Moorhead doesn't shatter every record Mullen has.

Offensive records maybe.....defensive, not so sure....jury will be out a while. Next years D should be really good unless Shoop messes it up. But year 2 and 3 will be on Moorhead.

Cooterpoot
04-03-2018, 03:42 AM
Mullen has had great defenses? Really? I missed that aside from last year. I do remember a different DC every year almost though.

Dawg61
04-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Offensive records maybe.....defensive, not so sure....jury will be out a while. Next years D should be really good unless Shoop messes it up. But year 2 and 3 will be on Moorhead.

Well even if Shoop sucks he can't be any worse than Mullen's first DC

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/djournal.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/89/189fa337-9d25-54d5-94dc-799d9e791168/58fa39c9a81a7.image.jpg

For those of you now frustrated to remember the name it's Carl Torbush but we shoulda hired the dancing Torbush from Three Amigos instead that year. At least that way we might of been able to convince the Three Amigos to make an appearance at DWS.

https://media.giphy.com/media/hwNBjyLqVLGEg/giphy.gif

MStateDawg
04-03-2018, 08:00 AM

Can we at least watch the Spring game before making such a declaration? Anything Moorhead does the next couple of seasons will be with Mullen's players. Lets pump the brakes and see what type of team Joe can build on his own.

MarketingBully
04-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Can we at least watch the Spring game before making such a declaration? Anything Moorhead does the next couple of seasons will be with Mullen's players. Lets pump the brakes and see what type of team Joe can build on his own.

Ahh, the typical MSU Debbie Downer. It wouldn’t shock me if Coach Moorhead has 10 wins this upcoming year and we still wouldn’t know what we had as far as his coaching ability. This is a team with few holes and a lot of experience. As long as we adjust well to his scheme (which we should), we will be fine. He has had head coaching experience albeit at a lower level, but in that division he had to be creative and led a doormat of a program (sorry Fordham) to three straight playoff appearances. He knows how to coach.

RocketCityDawg
04-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Yeah, God forbid we have a little optimism.....

Bully13
04-03-2018, 10:54 AM
Yeah, God forbid we have a little optimism.....

based on how well he did as HC at that small college in NY gives me confidence. he did REALLY well there.

04-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Ahh, the typical MSU Debbie Downer. It wouldn?t shock me if Coach Moorhead has 10 wins this upcoming year and we still wouldn?t know what we had as far as his coaching ability. This is a team with few holes and a lot of experience. As long as we adjust well to his scheme (which we should), we will be fine. He has had head coaching experience albeit at a lower level, but in that division he had to be creative and led a doormat of a program (sorry Fordham) to three straight playoff appearances. He knows how to coach.

I am intentionally choosing to believe Moorhead is Chip Kelly Part 2

MarketingBully
04-03-2018, 04:19 PM
based on how well he did as HC at that small college in NY gives me confidence. he did REALLY well there.

And they were basically a doormat in FCS until Moorhead got there.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Well another week of Rumors.. Anyone know a site to look at how many appearances a coach has in OMAHA? Can't be that many on the list John is describing...