PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Be the First MSU Sport To Sack Up & Win the Big One?

ShotgunDawg
04-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Folks, we are on cusp on becoming the Buffalo Bills/Cubs of college athletics here.

We have played in 3 national championships in the past 5 years, & in all 3 instances played poorly.

2013 - We had 8-10 Major Leaguers on our team & UCLA had what will likely turn out to be 2. (James Kaprielian & Zack Weiss). Talent levels weren't close.

2014- We only have one loss & have a possible playoff spot on the line, only to play like trash at OM and lose a game we should've won.

2017- We were truly out classed by South Carolina & we were emotionally spent after losing to UCONN. This is the least excusable.

2018 - We were significantly more talented than Notre Dame. Both size & athletically, it really wasn't close last night.

So.... who is going to be the first sport to nut up & play well in the national title game.

Why do we continue to play poorly in these big games? Is it a pressure issue? Do we lack championship expectations at MSU that makes our players feel like they don't belong?

Or is it just bad luck?

I guess we just gotta keep getting there & eventually it has to happen.

04-02-2018, 09:11 AM
This is the part that is tough with MSU. If Schaffer stays, he'll probably win one eventually, but will he stay?

I liken it to Florida baseball. Sully has had multiple national championship caliber teams but it took him about 10 years of consistently getting there to finally break through

Other than that, it's just straight luck, and we don't have much of that

BuckyIsAB****
04-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Folks, we are on cusp on becoming the Buffalo Bills/Cubs of college athletics here.

We have played in 3 national championships in the past 5 years, & in all 3 instances played poorly.

2013 - We had 8-10 Major Leaguers on our team & UCLA had what will likely turn out to be 2. (James Kaprielian & Zack Weiss). Talent levels weren't close.

2014- We only have one loss & have a possible playoff spot on the line, only to play like trash at OM and lose a game we should've won.

2017- We were truly out classed by South Carolina & we were emotionally spent after losing to UCONN. This is the least excusable.

2018 - We were significantly more talented than Notre Dame. Both size & athletically, it really wasn't close last night.

So.... who is going to be the first sport to nut up & play well in the national title game.

Why do we continue to play poorly in these big games? Is it a pressure issue? Do we lack championship expectations at MSU that makes our players feel like they don't belong?

Or is it just bad luck?

Bro....Notre Dame was bigger than us at every position other than center. Come on. Theres a reason they were there

BB30
04-02-2018, 09:58 AM
I am going to go out on a limb and say our baseball team gets it done in the next decade unless Vic sticks around for another 10 years.

It will take Vic another two years to get back to the level we have been at the last two.

We just have atrocious luck and don't get there often enough to overcome it.

Quaoarsking
04-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Wbb in 2021. Wild guess but plausible.

Starting lineup is Bibby (senior) and 4 junior 5-stars.

BrunswickDawg
04-02-2018, 10:12 AM
I think it is a numbers game. The more you get there, the better the odds are you will win one. ND won one 17 years ago in WBB, and lost 4 since then until winning last night. Look how many times Bobby Bowden was in position to win one before he did (1979, '80,'87-'92 were all 1-2 loss teams). Look how many times an ACC team has lost in a baseball NC game. To win it, you have to get there, and we have really only recently started knocking on the door consistently.

I think either men's or women's basketball is where we break thru - especially if we can hang on to Vic for 8-10 more years.

ShotgunDawg
04-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Bro....Notre Dame was bigger than us at every position other than center. Come on. Theres a reason they were there

I thought we looked much quicker and more athletic.

Coursesuper
04-02-2018, 10:42 AM
None, it ain't happening in my life time, and I'm not that old. It's a simple numbers game, we are less populated than the places we compete against.

Coach34
04-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Football this Fall

Cooterpoot
04-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Someone after OM wins one in baseball this year.

Bulldog1
04-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Football has a great chance!

MetEdDawg
04-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Football this Fall

This is the correct answer for the team with the best shot. Just looking down the road over the next 3 years with our major programs, football this year has the best chance.

Call me crazy, but I think men's basketball has a shot next year. Best 1-2 guard combo in Peters and Nick in the conference. Q comes back. Add Perry into the mix. Ado gets a year better, Holman gets a year better, and we will be able to rotate at least 10 guys next year that will be solid contributors. Talented youth and a crap ton of returning minutes played. I think they've got a shot to be on the 3 line or higher next year in the tournament.

Bulldog1
04-02-2018, 11:06 AM
This is the correct answer for the team with the best shot. Just looking down the road over the next 3 years with our major programs, football this year has the best chance.

Call me crazy, but I think men's basketball has a shot next year. Best 1-2 guard combo in Peters and Nick in the conference. Q comes back. Add Perry into the mix. Ado gets a year better, Holman gets a year better, and we will be able to rotate at least 10 guys next year that will be solid contributors. Talented youth and a crap ton of returning minutes played. I think they've got a shot to be on the 3 line or higher next year in the tournament.
I agree

04-02-2018, 12:21 PM

I'm often said that I'd never give up MSU sports, regardless of the heartbreak. But if that doomsday ever came, it would be over for me

ScottH
04-02-2018, 12:29 PM
Mens Tennis

DawgNamedScuba
04-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Do they give NC for Quidditch?*

Dawg61
04-02-2018, 12:35 PM
I think our best chance is in football. It requires basically going 15-0 or 14-1 to do it but based on our league basically guaranteeing a spot in the playoffs and that it's the sport with the fewest amount of games I think it's theoretically our best chance sport. The league prestige has already carried half the water for us.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-02-2018, 12:38 PM
It took Geno 10 years to win his first one at UCONN

MarketingBully
04-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Why does everyone think Ole Miss is going to win the CWS this year? Our 2016 and 2013 teams were better then the team they are throwing out there this year and neither of those teams won it. Hell, they have only been to one CWS since the 70s. I doubt that team gets to the CWS much less wins it.

MarketingBully
04-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Yep. I agree MetEdDawg and we have a coach in Ben Howland who has coached in a championship game and been to three final fours. The key for a good run in the tournament is the matchups. If we can get favorable matchups, I have no doubt Coach Howland can get us to the Final Four. Once you are there, anything can happen.

Todd4State
04-02-2018, 02:07 PM

Or is it just bad luck?

I think it's mostly mental. I don't think our players handle that kind of spotlight well. That's why I said we need to look at hiring a sports psychologist or someone that can elevate our players from a mental standpoint.

Johnson85
04-02-2018, 02:42 PM

You crazy.

We definitely have the potential to make a run next year, but we're probably going to be a top 15 to 20 team. A run for us could get us to the elite 8 or even the final four, but I don't think will be good enough to threaten winning the championship.

We were what, a to 40'ish team by the end of the year?

Nick should have a pretty decent jump next year and Ado could have a huge jump and Perry could be good, but other than that our roster is what it is and that doesn't seem like a major difference unless Perry is a one-and-done that is going to immediately be good in the NBA type player.

MarketingBully
04-02-2018, 05:14 PM
You crazy.

We definitely have the potential to make a run next year, but we're probably going to be a top 15 to 20 team. A run for us could get us to the elite 8 or even the final four, but I don't think will be good enough to threaten winning the championship.

Nick should have a pretty decent jump next year and Ado could have a huge jump and Perry could be good, but other than that our roster is what it is and that doesn't seem like a major difference unless Perry is a one-and-done that is going to immediately be good in the NBA type player.

Our roster is what it is? Our roster is 9 four stars and 1 five star. That’s 10 top 100 players spanning the 2015-2018 classes. Howland is a great coach and has coached in three final fours and one championship game. Depending on the draw we get, we could make a great run in the NCAA tournament. Our men’s team should have more talent and experience then our women will next year.

bulldawg28
04-02-2018, 07:43 PM
I thought we looked much quicker and more athletic.

We were

fader2103
04-02-2018, 07:48 PM
I think it's mostly mental. I don't think our players handle that kind of spotlight well. That's why I said we need to look at hiring a sports psychologist or someone that can elevate our players from a mental standpoint.

Who is to say we don?t have one, they wouldn?t really talk about it to much plus you get into HIPPA violations.

DanDority
04-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Sorry, we won't. We are MState!

Pit Bull
04-03-2018, 02:51 AM

Or is it just bad luck?

The moment was just a little bit too big for our gals. ND has been in the finals 5-6 times.....they are used to it. Even though it was our 2nd in a row, we were still uptight from the gitgo. We lead 24-10 early and that was even after missing 6-7 point blank or layup type shots. Our D was really intense and that 24 pts should have been about 35-10 had we made the easy shots. That's where I think the game was lost....in the first half where we left so many easy points on the table.

Pit Bull
04-03-2018, 02:56 AM
This is the part that is tough with MSU. If Schaffer stays, he'll probably win one eventually, but will he stay?

I liken it to Florida baseball. Sully has had multiple national championship caliber teams but it took him about 10 years of consistently getting there to finally break through

Other than that, it's just straight luck, and we don't have much of that

Had we won this NC, I think he would have stayed. Now that it's just another 2nd miss in a row, it feels like there's nothing to keep him here long term. I think he stays at MSU next year and waits for Blair to retire. The job is all his when that happens and he can go home to one of the biggest college checkbooks in nation.
s

Pit Bull
04-03-2018, 02:59 AM

I too kind of think OM will win a CWS before we do. Don't know why.....just has been a long time feeling of mine.

MarketingBully
04-03-2018, 03:33 AM
I too kind of think OM will win a CWS before we do. Don't know why.....just has been a long time feeling of mine.

That’s odd considering they have been to one CWS since what 74?

Coach34
04-03-2018, 04:53 AM
You crazy.

I've already seen 2 2019 early basketball polls with us top 20- one top 15

Johnson85
04-03-2018, 05:54 AM
Our roster is what it is? Our roster is 9 four stars and 1 five star. That?s 10 top 100 players spanning the 2015-2018 classes. Howland is a great coach and has coached in three final fours and one championship game. Depending on the draw we get, we could make a great run in the NCAA tournament. Our men?s team should have more talent and experience then our women will next year.

And with the exception of Perry, all those stars added up to a top 40ish team this year. We should be much better next year, but we can be much better and still not good enough to be a national championship threat.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-03-2018, 05:57 AM

Notre Dame had 7 McDonald's AA on its roster..... we had none.

msstate7
04-03-2018, 06:10 AM
I really like our returning basketball team, but I am worried about our perimeter shooting. Shooting 3s well is a must to win a natty. Tyson carter will be one of our most important players

Coach34
04-03-2018, 06:54 AM
I really like our returning basketball team, but I am worried about our perimeter shooting. Shooting 3s well is a must to win a natty. Tyson carter will be one of our most important players

We had guys shoot worse this past year than the year before. I look for us to shoot 3's alot better next year

MarketingBully
04-03-2018, 10:25 AM
We had guys shoot worse this past year than the year before. I look for us to shoot 3's alot better next year

Agreed, I think this year was more an anomaly then the norm. Carter, Q, and Peters should be able to hit 40+%. Then you add Nick W, Holman, and Perry who should all hit 35+% from the perimeter. The wildcard then becomes Stapleton who showed he could light it up various times this year. That’s seven players that can all shoot well from the perimeter. I think we will be in great shape next year.

BigEasyDawg
04-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Wooden was at UCLA 16 seasons before he won a natty.....SIXTEEN SEASONS. We have never played for a championship in any team sport until 2013. Lets be patient.