PDA

View Full Version : It's Time for MSU Athletics to go from good to great

Todd4State
04-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Yes, I'm ripping off Joe Moorhead.

Our athletic programs have accomplished some pretty big things since 2013:

2013 CWS Finals
2014 Football getting to number one
2017 and 2018 Women's Basketball Teams getting to the Championship Game.

That's something to be VERY proud of and it shows that we have the potential be a National Champion in not just baseball but other sports as well.

That said each time we made it to the Championship round our teams fell short and in the case of football after getting to number one the team started to play relatively uneven football in wins against Kentucky and Arkansas and lost the three most important games at the end of the year in Alabama, Ole Miss, and the Orange Bowl.

So, if I was MSU I would want to take a hard look at WHY we keep falling short and what we can and should do to fix it.

One thing that has changed in my MSU fan life is we have started to hire higher caliber coaches- Joe, Cann at the time, Howland, and Vick are all really good and I have a lot of faith that we will hire an outstanding baseball coach too. So, coaching isn't the problem.

There are TWO major areas I would shore up throughout the entire athletic department if I was MSU.

The first area is I would hire a team of sports psychologists. IMO I think a major reason why we keep coming up short in the finals and in championship situations is because we have not been able to handle the situation well from a mental standpoint. That's not saying that the players are mentally weak. What I am saying is I am not sure that we are giving them all the tools and resources that they need to handle the things that come along with a big stage- such as winning, the pressure to be the first to win a National Title. For example- in 2013 in Omaha we suddenly went away from our hitting approach that had worked and gotten us there. We had most of our players lengthening out their swing trying to get a big hit or a home run and the result was disastrous. In 2014 after the football team got to number one they started to play a little bit tighter instead of just going out and having fun and playing free. Also, with the Women's Basketball Team last year I do not believe that they handled beating UConn as well as they could have given that they had another game to play and then tonight we didn't play our best game either. I think sports psychologists would help our athletes out immensely with how to handle the spotlight in these big situations. It may also prevent other things from happening too like Dak getting attacked during spring break by giving him insight on how popular he is and how to handle that and not get into bad situations.

The second area is strength and conditioning. It's my perception that our team seems more tired than others at the end of the game. I know we have S&C people/coaches but we need to make sure that we are absolutely cutting edge in all sports. When the baseball S&C guy has a pot belly and seems more concerned about conversation in the dugout he's probably not a cutting edge S&C guy.

Anyway- that's what I would do.

Hail State
04-02-2018, 12:00 AM
Too long didn’t read.

If anything we are trending way down after tonight.

Vic is likely gone, even if he doesn’t go we lost all our best players. Baseball team is garbage. Men’s basketball has been sub par since we decided to fire Stans.

One bright spot is football. We have the best returning team we’ve had in twenty years. I suspect Moorhead is going to be a good coach but will have a learning curve we have to deal with that will compromise any kind of special year.

Truth hurts. The best is most likely behind us.

Bothrops
04-02-2018, 12:20 AM
We just need to do our best and remain at good. That's all we can be in sports. We live in a land of giants and we ain't a giant.

04-02-2018, 12:49 AM
We are already overachieving. Sucks we cannot win the big game but it is what it is.

If you really want to see MSU sports be great, there's nothing to do but go to games, give money, and hope the state of Mississippi sees a population boom and becomes a more attractive locale for potential coaches and student athletes

AROB44
04-02-2018, 06:55 AM
Vic is likely gone

I have read this in several threads. I just don't understand why folks say this. I guess it's just so MSU....was hoping we had gotten past this but I guess not.

basedog
04-02-2018, 07:09 AM
Vic is likely gone

I have read this in several threads. I just don't understand why folks say this. I guess it's just so MSU....was hoping we had gotten past this but I guess not.

+1 Have to say that the ones saying this don't have a clue just like most of us especially after a big loss.

basedog
04-02-2018, 07:18 AM
Todd, our AD is in the best shape it's ever been in our long history of sports. Can't understand why you want to keep "shaking up" Msu sports with all your "if I was in charge". There will never be a perfect sports program or department from anyone in the country. We do very well being in a small market in one of the poorest states in America. Nothing is bad as it seems nor as good but we are Msu and I have no problem seeing where we have come from and where we are headed.

Sports will always have ups and downs for everyone.

Dawgface
04-02-2018, 07:22 AM
We just need to do our best and remain at good. That's all we can be in sports. We live in a land of giants and we ain't a giant.

True. We will always be David. Not to say we can't occasionally make a run in some sports, but to become great in all on a consistent basis is not reality.

WPDawg
04-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Yes, I'm ripping off Joe Moorhead.

Our athletic programs have accomplished some pretty big things since 2013:

2013 CWS Finals
2014 Football getting to number one
2017 and 2018 Women's Basketball Teams getting to the Championship Game.

That's something to be VERY proud of and it shows that we have the potential be a National Champion in not just baseball but other sports as well.

That said each time we made it to the Championship round our teams fell short and in the case of football after getting to number one the team started to play relatively uneven football in wins against Kentucky and Arkansas and lost the three most important games at the end of the year in Alabama, Ole Miss, and the Orange Bowl.

So, if I was MSU I would want to take a hard look at WHY we keep falling short and what we can and should do to fix it.

One thing that has changed in my MSU fan life is we have started to hire higher caliber coaches- Joe, Cann at the time, Howland, and Vick are all really good and I have a lot of faith that we will hire an outstanding baseball coach too. So, coaching isn't the problem.

There are TWO major areas I would shore up throughout the entire athletic department if I was MSU.

The first area is I would hire a team of sports psychologists. IMO I think a major reason why we keep coming up short in the finals and in championship situations is because we have not been able to handle the situation well from a mental standpoint. That's not saying that the players are mentally weak. What I am saying is I am not sure that we are giving them all the tools and resources that they need to handle the things that come along with a big stage- such as winning, the pressure to be the first to win a National Title. For example- in 2013 in Omaha we suddenly went away from our hitting approach that had worked and gotten us there. We had most of our players lengthening out their swing trying to get a big hit or a home run and the result was disastrous. In 2014 after the football team got to number one they started to play a little bit tighter instead of just going out and having fun and playing free. Also, with the Women's Basketball Team last year I do not believe that they handled beating UConn as well as they could have given that they had another game to play and then tonight we didn't play our best game either. I think sports psychologists would help our athletes out immensely with how to handle the spotlight in these big situations. It may also prevent other things from happening too like Dak getting attacked during spring break by giving him insight on how popular he is and how to handle that and not get into bad situations.

The second area is strength and conditioning. It's my perception that our team seems more tired than others at the end of the game. I know we have S&C people/coaches but we need to make sure that we are absolutely cutting edge in all sports. When the baseball S&C guy has a pot belly and seems more concerned about conversation in the dugout he's probably not a cutting edge S&C guy.

Anyway- that's what I would do.

trolling trolling.

AROB44
04-02-2018, 07:48 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to basedog again.

Liverpooldawg
04-02-2018, 07:56 AM
Our athletic department is in the best shape it has ever been in in our history. We are getting there and changing how we are doing things because we have lost FOUR national championship shots in 5 years over three different sports is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. How many of those shots did we have in the hundred years prior to that?

basedog
04-02-2018, 07:59 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to basedog again.

Well, I remember the days when I was in school, we sucked so bad in football the talk was to dome DWS and build the greatest swimming arena and dominate. Now maybe we should add another 50 million to the baseball stadium, dome it and become that greatest swimming program! Most have not a clue where our athletic program has come from.

basedog
04-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Our athletic department is in the best shape it has ever been in in our history. We are getting there and changing how we are doing things because we have lost FOUR national championship shots in 5 years over three different sports is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. How many of those shots did we have in the hundred years prior to that?

Oh but Liver, don't you know history doesn't matter, us old folks need to move out of the way let the young dogs run with it.****

Dumb was correct Liver in your post!

Todd4State
04-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Todd, our AD is in the best shape it's ever been in our long history of sports. Can't understand why you want to keep "shaking up" Msu sports with all your "if I was in charge". There will never be a perfect sports program or department from anyone in the country. We do very well being in a small market in one of the poorest states in America. Nothing is bad as it seems nor as good but we are Msu and I have no problem seeing where we have come from and where we are headed.

Sports will always have ups and downs for everyone.

This isn't a shake up. It's adding to what we have to make what is good even better. Literally the only person I'm saying should leave is the baseball S&C coach.

I remember old dogs telling me that Ron Polk knew more baseball than anyone and should always be our coach and that we wouldn't be able to replace Dan Mullen.

basedog
04-02-2018, 03:24 PM
This isn't a shake up. It's adding to what we have to make what is good even better. Literally the only person I'm saying should leave is the baseball S&C coach.

I remember old dogs telling me that Ron Polk knew more baseball than anyone and should always be our coach and that we wouldn't be able to replace Dan Mullen.

RP in his hey day was the best, he fell a sleep at the wheel and wrecked our whole program. Dan Mullen regardless what others are saying took us up a notch, hopefully Joe can go another notch.

Cann fell asleep as well, no concentration during the fall except on his phone and staying in the dugout really hurt the players, team and program. IF he would have been as focused as in year one day one we wouldn't be as bad as we are.

Old folks don't kill the AD. One day hopefully you will be as old as Arob44 and shannondog and contribute as much as they have. LOL! Cohen is doing good work as I see it, better than the cheerleader we had! Times are getting better, not worse.

Commercecomet24
04-02-2018, 03:41 PM
RP in his hey day was the best, he fell a sleep at the wheel and wrecked our whole program. Dan Mullen regardless what others are saying took us up a notch, hopefully Joe can go another notch.

Cann fell asleep as well, no concentration during the fall except on his phone and staying in the dugout really hurt the players, team and program. IF he would have been as focused as in year one day one we wouldn't be as bad as we are.

Old folks don't kill the AD. One day hopefully you will be as old as Arob44 and shannondog and contribute as much as they have. LOL! Cohen is doing good work as I see it, better than the cheerleader we had! Times are getting better, not worse.

Great post!

Commercecomet24
04-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Too long didn’t read.

If anything we are trending way down after tonight.

Vic is likely gone, even if he doesn’t go we lost all our best players. Baseball team is garbage. Men’s basketball has been sub par since we decided to fire Stans.

One bright spot is football. We have the best returning team we’ve had in twenty years. I suspect Moorhead is going to be a good coach but will have a learning curve we have to deal with that will compromise any kind of special year.

Truth hurts. The best is most likely behind us.

This is a joke right? We are just starting to come into our own after decades of mediocrity. The AD is in the best shape it's ever been. IMO we are in our infancy as far as becoming a genuine contender in many sports. We are learning and growing. Greatness has to start somewhere and I see our AD starting to reach that. This ain't the end, its only the beginning.

Todd4State
04-02-2018, 05:12 PM

And you still don't get my point. My point is we should continually be looking to improve our program. That DOES NOT mean that our program is bad, does not mean that the AD is bad or should be changed either. It does not mean I am unhappy with MSU athletics as a whole. What it DOES mean is even after we win a championship we should be looking for ways to repeat/win the next championship.

Tell me what does it hurt to bring in a sports psychologist on staff? That's hardly an overhaul of the AD. And it's not an indictment on the coaches either in any way shape or form. It's another tool for us to use to help us win championships and I believe based on the past five years that we can win one in possibly several sports potentially. I don't think using weights, dieticians, and etc. means that the football coach is bad. Do you?

Is it because you are old and you don't see the value in it? Is it because you think this is as good as it is ever going to get and there is no way we can improve? Either view is equally as shortsighted.

MaroonBelle
04-02-2018, 05:23 PM
This is a joke right? We are just starting to come into our own after decades of mediocrity. The AD is in the best shape it's ever been. IMO we are in our infancy as far as becoming a genuine contender in many sports. We are learning and growing. Greatness has to start somewhere and I see our AD starting to reach that. This ain't the end, its only the beginning.

Current ranked teams at MSU:
Women Basketball #2/just played for national champ 2nd yr in row/only took 5 years to get there
Women Tennis #25
Men Tennis #12 (no SEC losses so far this season)
Softball #18
Women TFXC #25
Men TFXC #9
We have had national champions and olympic athletes from both Men&Women Indoor and Outdoor TF for past several years

Other Sports Outlook:
Football/finished 2017 season ranked #19/great outlook for 2018 season and Moorhead gives hope for continued success
Men's Basketball/trending up first post-season in 7(?) years with top 25 expected for next year
Men's Golf/Trending up with new coach/3 top 5 finishes this season so far
Women's Golf/down since Ally but improving
Soccer/trending up, much more successful last year with new coaching staff
Volleyball/new coach, very hard recruiter, results outlook unknown
Baseball/this is a down year no doubt, but with new Dude and a great hire outlook is up even if it takes a couple more years

New facilites in last 5 years: Football, Golf, Softball, Tennis (indoor court to come), Baseball (widely agreed will be best facility in college baseball), Soccer

IMPROVED GRADUATION RATES AND GRADES pretty much across the board, particularly in football

Our athletic department has taken a very holistic approach to improving our athletic outcomes here at State and it is working. We have so many sports rising right now. I know some of you rather throw all the eggs in one basket (football or baseball) but particularly in the case of football, we are surrounded by people with more eggs than us, no matter how many we throw. This is a process and in case you missed it we are in the midst of the most successful period in State sports across the board in the history of this University. Can any of you ever remember a time when the outlook was so positive almost everywhere you looked? It's hard to look past the poor showing from our baseball team because they are typically our standard bearer, and the gross way DM left, but don't miss the forest for the trees. We all want to be great and we all want a national championship (that we actually earn instead of claim like some schools) but I am enjoying the ride right now and the ride currently is the most exhilarating it has been in my 4 decades of MSU fandom. Some of these highs make the lows much worse but I'll live and die with that until we hit the top.

basedog
04-02-2018, 05:46 PM
And you still don't get my point. My point is we should continually be looking to improve our program. That DOES NOT mean that our program is bad, does not mean that the AD is bad or should be changed either. It does not mean I am unhappy with MSU athletics as a whole. What it DOES mean is even after we win a championship we should be looking for ways to repeat/win the next championship.

Tell me what does it hurt to bring in a sports psychologist on staff? That's hardly an overhaul of the AD. And it's not an indictment on the coaches either in any way shape or form. It's another tool for us to use to help us win championships and I believe based on the past five years that we can win one in possibly several sports potentially. I don't think using weights, dieticians, and etc. means that the football coach is bad. Do you?

Is it because you are old and you don't see the value in it? Is it because you think this is as good as it is ever going to get and there is no way we can improve? Either view is equally as shortsighted.

Define old, lol? I probably see way more value than u Todd because I've lived thru the worse.

You also missed what I said, I never said it's the best it's gonna be or we can't improve. I said it's getting better.

AD is improving. Maybe "your thoughts" should be addressed to Cohen not a message board.

AusTexDawg
04-02-2018, 05:49 PM

Agreed. Saban brought in sports psychologists for Alabama football several years ago - Alabama's "Head" Coach (http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/10/alabamas_head_coach_kevin_elko.html). I understand that we can't afford to keep up with the Joneses in terms of the number of support personnel that programs like Alabama have, but that doesn't necessarily mean we ignore the value that certain types of support personnel can bring and make sure the people we have in those roles are high quality.

Todd4State
04-02-2018, 06:05 PM
Define old, lol? I probably see way more value than u Todd because I've lived thru the worse.

You also missed what I said, I never said it's the best it's gonna be or we can't improve. I said it's getting better.

AD is improving. Maybe "your thoughts" should be addressed to Cohen not a message board.

Well, to be fair you were the one who called yourself old to start with.

One reason why I post things like this on a message board is because the AD does read them and I think in some ways it's more effective because it gets the thoughts of others to weigh in on it.

Todd4State
04-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Agreed. Saban brought in sports psychologists for Alabama football several years ago - Alabama's "Head" Coach (http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/10/alabamas_head_coach_kevin_elko.html). I understand that we can't afford to keep up with the Joneses in terms of the number of support personnel that programs like Alabama have, but that doesn't necessarily mean we ignore the value that certain types of support personnel can bring and make sure the people we have in those roles are high quality.

Exactly. The fact of the matter is it is a huge jump mentally between performing in front of our crowds to dealing with the media and scrutiny surrounding a championship situation. I don't think coaches can simulate it. Especially if Alabama can't do it- I don't think anyone can simulate it either.

We can certainly hire our own "Head" coaches though and I really think it will make a difference for all of our sports programs in a very positive way.

basedog
04-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Well, to be fair you were the one who called yourself old to start with.

One reason why I post things like this on a message board is because the AD does read them and I think in some ways it's more effective because it gets the thoughts of others to weigh in on it.

My old is probably not what you would define old but I probably have kids your age.

Commercecomet24
04-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Current ranked teams at MSU:
Women Basketball #2/just played for national champ 2nd yr in row/only took 5 years to get there
Women Tennis #25
Men Tennis #12 (no SEC losses so far this season)
Softball #18
Women TFXC #25
Men TFXC #9
We have had national champions and olympic athletes from both Men&Women Indoor and Outdoor TF for past several years

Other Sports Outlook:
Football/finished 2017 season ranked #19/great outlook for 2018 season and Moorhead gives hope for continued success
Men's Basketball/trending up first post-season in 7(?) years with top 25 expected for next year
Men's Golf/Trending up with new coach/3 top 5 finishes this season so far
Women's Golf/down since Ally but improving
Soccer/trending up, much more successful last year with new coaching staff
Volleyball/new coach, very hard recruiter, results outlook unknown
Baseball/this is a down year no doubt, but with new Dude and a great hire outlook is up even if it takes a couple more years

New facilites in last 5 years: Football, Golf, Softball, Tennis (indoor court to come), Baseball (widely agreed will be best facility in college baseball), Soccer

IMPROVED GRADUATION RATES AND GRADES pretty much across the board, particularly in football

Our athletic department has taken a very holistic approach to improving our athletic outcomes here at State and it is working. We have so many sports rising right now. I know some of you rather throw all the eggs in one basket (football or baseball) but particularly in the case of football, we are surrounded by people with more eggs than us, no matter how many we throw. This is a process and in case you missed it we are in the midst of the most successful period in State sports across the board in the history of this University. Can any of you ever remember a time when the outlook was so positive almost everywhere you looked? It's hard to look past the poor showing from our baseball team because they are typically our standard bearer, and the gross way DM left, but don't miss the forest for the trees. We all want to be great and we all want a national championship (that we actually earn instead of claim like some schools) but I am enjoying the ride right now and the ride currently is the most exhilarating it has been in my 4 decades of MSU fandom. Some of these highs make the lows much worse but I'll live and die with that until we hit the top.

Thank you! Excellent post!